Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

hopefully this will be more like revival series 1 & 2. when he'd had a long time to think of what he wanted to do.
and not like the later series drop-off when I think the pressure of deadlines to get enough episodes out weighed on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Confusedslight posted:

Well I guess that definitely 100% seals the deal on 9th not being back for the 60th.

Or the other way around? The issues Eccleston had weren't with RTD were they, indeed they'd worked together previously?

Edit: has everything of Chibnalls already been filmed?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Rtd returning will be bad if he tries just to go back to his earlier work. It will be good if he has moved forward and brings new ideas.

I feel like he's definitely grown in the time since leaving; Children of Earth was done while leaving Who, It's A Sin was great, and I've heard the other stuff was alright.

But yeah, like Confusedslight said, kinda sucks that we definitely won't be getting Eccleston back anytime soon after the quasi-détente (at least from recent reports, which kinda boil down to "he ended up hating everyone on the production side and also Barrowman")

99 CENTS AMIGO fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 24, 2021

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Again, looking at It's A Sin, Years and Years, A British Scandal... they're all so different from one another, it's exciting to think what he could be doing that feels different from his previous Who work.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
As long as none of the sex pests follow him back in the door (and I have little reason to think they will) I am hype.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Time really does feel a bit ( I'm sorry!) Wibbly wobbly. Listening to 9 on big finish last year was one of the only good things to come of 2020. Felt like I was 10 again again and all was well. And now the same show runner coming back is kinda breaking my brain.

Will it be good? Who knows. Going to have to get there the long way around. Hope we all make it to then!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Senor Tron posted:

Or the other way around? The issues Eccleston had weren't with RTD were they, indeed they'd worked together previously?

Edit: has everything of Chibnalls already been filmed?

They’re still filming at the moment.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

This would be a very safe choice i.e. 'give the job to the bloke who did it most successfully in the last 20 years' If it weren't for the fact we now know as showrunner he was unaware/turned a blind eye to bullying and sex pesting . There's also an element of trying to capture lighting in the bottle.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
JNT2

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Senor Tron posted:

Ehhhh reading between the lines it seems like Eccleston had trouble with the general atmosphere and vibe of the production, and RTD was definitely a part of that. And, like, that's fair, because RTD really shouldn't have been turning a blind eye to Barrowman sexually harrassing/assaulting people.

EDIT

JoylessJester posted:

This would be a very safe choice i.e. 'give the job to the bloke who did it most successfully in the last 20 years' If it weren't for the fact we now know as showrunner he was unaware/turned a blind eye to bullying and sex pesting . There's also an element of trying to capture lighting in the bottle.

Indeed.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I wanted Chibnall gone but not like this. Fuckin’ monkey’s paw screwed me again.

:negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I want to be thrilled about RTD coming back, but I've seen to many instances of creators returning to franchises that turn out badly to get too excited. I'm positive it'll be better than Chibnall, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For me, RTD hit 4/4 out of his series, while Moff was 2/6, and Chibs was ... well. So I'm stoked at RTD coming back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

This was my reaction

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
It's honestly a testament to Chibnall's astonishing blandness that I think this might be an improvement.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The report makes it sound like the first ep of RTD2 is going to be the 60th anniversary story. So hopefully that's at least one Jodie appearance.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

like or loathe the new development, at least we got this

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
I loved RTD’s run. Sure, it had its ups and downs but it was always fun.

I am over the moon at the possibility of more Davies!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Davros1 posted:

For me, RTD hit 4/4 out of his series, while Moff was 2/6, and Chibs was ... well. So I'm stoked at RTD coming back.

I feel like the highs weren't as high under RTD and the lows were on the same level as Moffat. But RTD era was more consistent which isn't necessarily a bad thing if it's consistently enjoyable. The weakness of RTD is he wasn't great at going big with the show. OTOH, I wouldn't might a bit more goofiness and camp in Doctor Who than we've been getting since he left.

In conclusion, RTD is a land of contrasts.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Random Stranger posted:

I feel like the highs weren't as high under RTD and the lows were on the same level as Moffat. But RTD era was more consistent which isn't necessarily a bad thing if it's consistently enjoyable. The weakness of RTD is he wasn't great at going big with the show. OTOH, I wouldn't might a bit more goofiness and camp in Doctor Who than we've been getting since he left.

In conclusion, RTD is a land of contrasts.

I always felt that RTD's stories were really lacking, but holy poo poo, he could knock it out of the park when it came to character interactions and character dynamics. That's why the best of RTD's tenure were the Moffat episodes. Moffat could write some drat good stories when he was properly restrained. RTD's character direction and Moffat's stories gave us "The Empty Child", "Blink", and "The Girl in the Fireplace".

I'm excited to see a return to RTD directing. I just hopes he gets a good stable of writers.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Has RTD learned to control the desire to make everything a soap opera? The past few showrunners, hit or miss, have put a lot of focus on making things feel alien or like something normal that aliens have inhabited. RTD's old run was watching an The Doctor integrate into Earth to get away from his sad, and most societies were either Earth-like or being actively hosed up by spacefaring humans.

Like honestly I don't know why Ten still liked humans after seeing them gently caress up the future as much as they did. His run is full of idiot power-hungry humans who seem just as evil as Rassilon.

Cerv posted:

hopefully this will be more like revival series 1 & 2. when he'd had a long time to think of what he wanted to do.

[thinks long and hard about what to do] "Ah yes, farting grey men."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, then. Everything old is new again.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I wonder how long it is before Rusty talks Moff into writing something. They’re constantly on each other’s Instagram comments, so clearly still good mates.

Hopefully there’s not too much expectation of a new golden age now that ding dong the chib is dead.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 24, 2021

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Hahaha, you gotta be loving kidding me. The Beeb must be loving desperate.

Big nope from me, if they were going to bring back a person who'd run the show previously it should've been Philip Hinchcliffe. Not interested in seeing NuWho with RTD2, because he's just going to trot out his greatest hits again. Thanks but no thanks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1441417145150283776?s=20

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

Eccleston said that his relationship with RTD completely broke down during the making of his sole series as the Doctor, and that the rift he has with the BBC still hasn't healed. Given that RTD will once again be running the series for the BBC, I think it's safe to assume he's not going to do anything DW outside of Big Finish.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
RTD coming back really does open up a lot of questions that I don't think will be answered any time soon. Are the BBC that desperate for a safe pair of hands (regardless of recent critical reactions, have the viewing figures/revenue generated wordlwide significantly dropped over the course of the last two series?) or was there a dearth of willing candidates to take up the role?

That being said, I still quite like RTD and am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hmmmm

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BadWolf_TV/status/1441407974761635846
https://twitter.com/budgetfilmmaker/status/1441415929733156879

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

christ no that's a terrible idea

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Look, if I can get an 8th Doctor miniseries, so be it.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

RTD's run got really stale by the end so hopefully he'll be able to take a fresh look at the show when he comes back. Basically I want the guy who wrote It's a Sin to be in charge, not the guy who wrote The End of Time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BF: "WTF, man?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder how long it is before Rusty talks Moff into writing something. They’re constantly on each other’s Instagram comments, so clearly still good mates.

Hopefully there’s not too much expectation of a new golden age now that ding dong the chib is dead.

If Moffat was returning as showrunner, I'd go, "Hell, no!" before sighing and agreeing that it had to be better than Chibnall. But if he came back to write a stand alone episode a season or two in, I'd be pretty interested in that.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cerv posted:

christ no that's a terrible idea

No no, it's totally different from what happened under RTD's first run, when he also launched The Sarah Jane Adventures, and Torchwood, and there was talk of giving Rose her own action-adventure series, and giving Georgia Moffatt (now Tennant) her own series, and maybe Sally Sparrow too, and and and

History really is going to repeat itself, isn't it? :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 24, 2021

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/ChrisWalkerT/status/1441409838953603072?s=19

Pretty great Christopher Eccleston impression.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 24, 2021

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/ChrisWalkerT/status/1441409412225196032

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

And thanks to Moffat introducing "The Curator", RTD has a ready-made excuse to just hire Tennant again for the Doctor's next regeneration; just revisiting the favorite old faces again. *sigh*

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Maybe we'll finally get a canon follow up on Rose's sex toy Doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Davies COULD bring back Tennant for a miniseries or something special, it would be extremely popular, which is something you want, especially relaunching a show.

BUT I don't think he'd pass up launching a new version of the Doctor with a new actor.