Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

…was it this thread where I learned that this was a really common exhibitionist kink thing in the early internet, people posting resale pictures either of shiny things or including a mirror with their junk out and reflected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

in the early days of ebay, there were definitely people who would put up a listing of shiny things for sale with an odd thing (or a naked person) visible in the reflection on the object

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“PO was a plumber.”

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Platystemon posted:

“PO was a plumber.”

I'm shocked they would think that is okay.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Zil posted:

I'm shocked they would think that is okay.

Maybe they were getting buzzed while they installed it. Or perhaps they didn’t have the energy to do a good job.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said before: never buy a house from an electrician.

Source: landlord is an electrician.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Or a car from a mechanic

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Really just don’t buy or build a house.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Dave posted:

Agreed.

Also Sandra Bullock has nothing useful to offer regarding soffit. Wasted two hours on Netflix. :(

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

MrYenko posted:

If I was a landlord, and had a tenant not immediately report a roof leak as soon as they noticed it and could get in touch with me, that tenant would be searching for new accommodations as soon as I could legally compel them to do so.

Roof leaks are the one thing in home ownership you do not gently caress around with. It gets fixed right the hell now, if not sooner.

Yeah OP is missing the forest for the trees with a howitzer, here. I know money is tight for the vast majority of goons but this is just lazy insanity.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

honestly not sure if the NWS is more appropriate for the penis or the bathroom carpet

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't Grover? Also, it's very weird to read the earliest pages of one of the housing threads, and have Grover be a respected authority.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Isn't Grover? Also, it's very weird to read the earliest pages of one of the housing threads, and have Grover be a respected authority.

He took some sort of inspection course, ignored everything he had to learn, then "ok'd" his house.

Then banned me for mod sas.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Pretty sure posting a picture of Groverhaus in GiP when I used to be a regular there remains my only forums ban

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That’s definitely different. And the, uh, entertaining room definitely looks entertaining.
I’m in the DFW area. I kinda want to go look at it. $450k is a bit out of my budget, though.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What a completely normal room for everyone to admire the structural column in.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

LonsomeSon posted:

Pretty sure posting a picture of Groverhaus in GiP when I used to be a regular there remains my only forums ban

:patriot:

Thank you for your service!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Dave posted:

Yeah, worst case scenario with a tent is I give rei $500 every few years.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I almost bought a house from a plumber. It didn't work out, but holy crap did it have the best plumbing in the world. The soil pipes and stacks were copper. Who does that? It was the best plumbed house I've ever seen. He left the plumbing all exposed like it was a showroom. No light in the kitchen though so it was a pass. It did have a badass garage though. It had a garage in the garage to store your garage. There was room on the back to add another garage. Still, no light in the kitchen, no deal. A man's gotta cook.

But yeah, electricians make the worst electricians at their own house. Mechanics are the worst mechanics. My old mechanic was the best mechanic I'd ever had. His car was not safe to even look at from 50 feet. Wow that '89 GMC Jimmy was junk. I'm surprised he didn't have a hand fuel pump. Did good work on my car though.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

…but there are lamps

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

…but there are lamps

Not in the kitchen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mostlygray posted:

I almost bought a house from a plumber. It didn't work out, but holy crap did it have the best plumbing in the world. The soil pipes and stacks were copper. Who does that? It was the best plumbed house I've ever seen. He left the plumbing all exposed like it was a showroom. No light in the kitchen though so it was a pass. It did have a badass garage though. It had a garage in the garage to store your garage. There was room on the back to add another garage. Still, no light in the kitchen, no deal. A man's gotta cook.

But yeah, electricians make the worst electricians at their own house. Mechanics are the worst mechanics. My old mechanic was the best mechanic I'd ever had. His car was not safe to even look at from 50 feet. Wow that '89 GMC Jimmy was junk. I'm surprised he didn't have a hand fuel pump. Did good work on my car though.

There's an old post in AI somewhere that goes into detail that you should never buy a car from a mechanic, because it's always either a barely-functional daily beater or an irresponsibly tuned toy, and otherwise prone to completely falling apart if anyone but the mechanic uses them in exactly the right way. (and sometimes even then)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not in the kitchen.

Not until you put them in the kitchen!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I'm sure there were other house options but I don't think that would have been my breaking point unless it was incredibly difficult to add. I tore out two ceiling titties in my kitchen for 5 can lights in the first 3 months.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Sirotan posted:

honestly not sure if the NWS is more appropriate for the penis or the bathroom carpet

This conundrum has kept me awake at night.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

StormDrain posted:

I tore out two ceiling titties

How could you?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

titties posted:

How could you?

I enhanced the ceiling appearance through a necessary double mastectomy. Those things are out to kill you!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Ceiling titties implies ceiling milk.

You're welcome.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I need to take some pictures of my friends' house. It's a simple box of a house, in the middle of nowhere on solar, having a new well drilled because the PO did it herself (illegal here).

The well is currently under the house. Like, access is in the crawlspace. It's "drilled" to around 30 feet. Pump is rated for 25 feet. Also the pump is in the utility room, right next to the water heater with a 5 gallon tank. Flush the shitter 4 times to hear the pump, some 80 odd decibels, run for 2 minutes. Filter housing is seemingly glued shut, whole thing is filled with sand. Drillers are starting monday on a proper 50-75 feet hole. Funniest part about it, is the well is going to be about $8k all said and done. She came down $12k from her list price to sell it. She had offers $15-20k over asking until the well was discovered to be without a permit. She would've made money if she did just that part right.

His electric is pretty poo poo too. Entire house runs off 6 120w solar panels, 10 100-150 amp 12v batteries, and a 3000 watt power inverter that feeds the 100 amp panel with a 15 amp extension cord.

The house was built last year.

He also has the smallest clawfoot tub I've seen in person, and a toilet that's at most appropriate for a montessori school kids bathroom. The kitchen cabinets and counter aren't anchored. There's a pillar in the bathroom that houses a vent pipe from the crawlspace (probably the vent for the plumbing, haven't looked closely).

I'll take pictures monday.

LonsomeSon posted:

The Katy Perry incident and SmokeCrack is a bitch era. Good times. poo poo's a lot better in gip these days, lots of us have grown up at least a little, actual discussion happens. Still plenty of shitposting, less daring each other to power hour 4lokos.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Also the pump is in the utility room, right next to the water heater with a 5 gallon tank. Flush the shitter 4 times to hear the pump, some 80 odd decibels, run for 2 minutes.

I remember when we got a sunk pump (whatever the correct Anglophone term may be). Made life so much more soothing for us and everyone within a 2 km radius.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, it makes a wonderful noise sitting over 3 feet of open crawlspace. You can hear the pump kick on 100 feet away.

Fortunately his nearest neighbor is 500 feet away (next closest is half a mile/a kilometer mimimum). Unfortunately, that neighbor is the parents of the previous owner/builder. Gotta be in their late 70s, and their house looks like the wind could take it any day.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 26, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“Yeah typical hippie commune 1970s stuff.”

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The house was built last year.

“Excuse me, but what the gently caress.”

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's an old post in AI somewhere that goes into detail that you should never buy a car from a mechanic, because it's always either a barely-functional daily beater or an irresponsibly tuned toy, and otherwise prone to completely falling apart if anyone but the mechanic uses them in exactly the right way. (and sometimes even then)

Car Derail: That just reminded me of my friend from HS that is a diesel mechanic now. When we were in school he had '70 Duster with a Slant Six. The manifold was split and welded into two pipes. No muffler, one pipe had a Cherry Bomb on it, the other one was wide open because the Cherry Bomb had rotted out. The gas tank had a huge hole in it so you could only fill it half full. If he over-filled the gas tank, it would turn the car into a cigarette lighter and flames would pour out the back.

It was a cool car.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Platystemon posted:

“Yeah typical hippie commune 1970s stuff.”

“Excuse me, but what the gently caress.”

Not even on google maps yet.

Only picture on my phone, but the PO drilled well is under the corner the cat (Beans) is closest to. Also that front stoop is just loose concrete block leftover from the foundation wall. Frank (dog) is just checking out the view, which is pretty nice.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 26, 2021

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
a home inspector looking at a brand new $500k house

https://www.reddit.com/r/facepalm/comments/pvizoa/home_inspection_of_brand_new_500k_house/

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Home buying scares the hell out of me as is and this does not help.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Home buying scares the hell out of me as is and this does not help.

Gotta build it yourself, on your own land. Still pitfalls but not as severe or as likely as buying housing made by a developer. Then you can have the required insight into the process of building and knowing your house. It's not really feasible if you move a lot, or see a house as an investment.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why does nobody ever take the protective plastic film off things before they assemble it, this seriously pisses me off so much because it's super easy and fun to do but it's literally impossible to do after the parts are put together because little bits of plastic end up trapped forever in the seams :tizzy:

PVC doors, windows, glass, polished metal, so many products ruined by little rags of blue plastic sticking out of the edges. I think some people don't even see it because the last time I took one of those films off in front of someone else they seemed very surprised.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gotta build it yourself, on your own land.

That's how the absolute worst "houses" on the planet have come into existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why does nobody ever take the protective plastic film off things before they assemble it, this seriously pisses me off so much because it's super easy and fun to do but it's literally impossible to do after the parts are put together because little bits of plastic end up trapped forever in the seams :tizzy:

PVC doors, windows, glass, polished metal, so many products ruined by little rags of blue plastic sticking out of the edges. I think some people don't even see it because the last time I took one of those films off in front of someone else they seemed very surprised.

A lot of people think those films are the color of the surface.

It drives me nuts too.