Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's probably nothing, but has anyone else remembered that Lorwyn/Shadowmoor also had its main plot point be something messing with the day/night cycle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

LifeLynx posted:

It's probably nothing, but has anyone else remembered that Lorwyn/Shadowmoor also had its main plot point be something messing with the day/night cycle?

yeah but it was more seasonal than daily

"it becomes "x" when this comes into play" kinda doesn't work there, it's too sudden, you'd have to do a longer interval or simply state "on turn 1 to 5 it's day, and night ever after" or something

and then make it interesting by allowing you to prolong day or increase night or whatever

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Sickening posted:

Yeah, you got a tad unlucky. A resealable shrink wrap in a bubble mailer is about as good as it gets for shipping cards. unfortunately the carrier hosed you up. It happens.

Really? That’s not how cards get shipped in Europe. Here most sellers use old booster packs and use commons to shield the sold cards. Then the whole package is wrapped in bubble wrap.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think the US will be open from the UK by then, might think about it if the price is right as I had a trip to Vegas cancelled earlier in the year.

I would not enter any venue that does not mandate vaccinations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Katana Gomai posted:

I would not enter any venue that does not mandate vaccinations.

I need to do some checks, but aren't a lot of them doing that?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

teppichporsche posted:

Really? That’s not how cards get shipped in Europe. Here most sellers use old booster packs and use commons to shield the sold cards. Then the whole package is wrapped in bubble wrap.

Usually I get a toploader but the pandemic hasdriven up the price of them.
TCG player actually has some custom things for cards I've noticed. Like a piece of envelope sized cardboard, with a fitted sleeve over it and the cards grouped and in penny-slips affixed via double sided tape/gel

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

Some are. I know NRG (the big Chicago tournament people since SCG only came to Milwaukee) has mandated for their next 3 large inperson events: 100% masks, and Either proof of vaccination or a negative covid test less than 72 hours old.
They're doing Modern in October and I'm hyped.
And a team event in November and I'm double Hyped because I managed to get a team together. (Legacy, Modern, Limited) Our Limited player has only played on Arena so I'm expecting a lot of fun when we have to explain the nuance of timing and priority in tournament paper magic.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 24, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I really missed the boat on Demilitch. Thought about picking them up at 6 bucks and forgot about it lol

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why the gently caress are those things twenty five American dollars

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Aspiringspike is playing them in a Modern Jeskai Phoenix/Demilich deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Klowner posted:

why the gently caress are those things twenty five American dollars

It's a a playable (??) mythic in a very bad set, all the value of an unopened box has to go somewhere

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
People loving LOVE playing with the card "Archlight Pheonix" so anything you can play with that card is going to be popular.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol I was so wrong about W7. This card rocks. It's still mostly honeymoon so maybe standard will suck eventually, but right now I'm loving it. It's no nice not playing against memory lapse smile

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

fadam posted:

lol I was so wrong about W7. This card rocks. It's still mostly honeymoon so maybe standard will suck eventually, but right now I'm loving it. It's no nice not playing against memory lapse smile

Esika's Chariot turn 4 (or 3) into W7 make a token copy the token feels so unbelievably good.

Esika's Chariot in general seems pretty great in this Standard, lots of 3/x werewolves running around that it just walls.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

W7 kicks rear end and I'll gladly put her in almost any deck w/ green

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, both cards are really strong on their own and combo to be an absolute backbreaker. I've also been impressed with some Lesson/Learn stuff, the ramp options feel really strong in GW.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fadam posted:

It's good but I don't think it's going to dominate standard like I thought previously. The UR Turns deck is very strong and Blood on the Snow decks are very good against W7 (though some of them play W7 too). I do think W7 falls off a cliff if Chariot eats a ban which isn't a zero chance.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Chariot can go ahead and catch an emergency ban on Monday. It's easily the most miserable card in standard.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

BizarroAzrael posted:

If I read it correctly, they allow people who aren't vaccinated but have a negative test as well. Over here in Germany, stores require a vaccination or proof that you have recovered from Corona to play in events, a negative test is not enough. I played some prereleases last week because of that, I wouldn't have if they allowed unvaccinated people to participate.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Chariot can go ahead and catch an emergency ban on Monday. It's easily the most miserable card in standard.

Chariot and W7 will be banned before the year is over.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

If I read it correctly, they allow people who aren't vaccinated but have a negative test as well. Over here in Germany, stores require a vaccination or proof that you have recovered from Corona to play in events, a negative test is not enough. I played some prereleases last week because of that, I wouldn't have if they allowed unvaccinated people to participate.

W7 not anywhere close to problematic without Chariot in the format.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Katana Gomai posted:

get on the Miserable Hermit train man
that card is absurd against Gx goodstuff because all their topend is non-creature

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

lol I don’t think Chariot or W7 is gonna get banned guys

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Yeah that seems extremely unlikely lol. It's a good combo but it requires a lot of mana to get going

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think Chariot is quite strong but I think a fair card. Its still early yet but it does feel like there's enough room in Standard for aggressive, midrange and control decks.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
MTGgrindcast were wondering if there is some sort of Abrade type effect that could be maindeckable to deal with the Chariot

Crew is an activated ability so you can Pithing Needle it right?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

People loving LOVE playing with the card "Archlight Pheonix" so anything you can play with that card is going to be popular.

There is literally nothing in (non-edh) magic I understand less than people's addiction to this style of deck.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

fadam posted:

Let's see how many players register a green W7/Chariot deck for the World Championships in two weeks. I'm pretty sure it's the best thing to do in the format by a mile and will be ubiquitous until one or both cards get banhammered.

ShaneB posted:

There is literally nothing in (non-edh) magic I understand less than people's addiction to this style of deck.

Casting a lot of spells and then getting a flying clock for free is quite fun, OP

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 24, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yeah that seems extremely unlikely lol. It's a good combo but it requires a lot of mana to get going

It's a 4 drop into a 5 drop.... That's a perfectly easy standard mana curve that happens in every game. The power level of chariot I do think is semi problematic. It's a card that is very hard to interact with profitibally because it has both the ETB and attack triggers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MikeCrotch posted:

MTGgrindcast were wondering if there is some sort of Abrade type effect that could be maindeckable to deal with the Chariot

Crew is an activated ability so you can Pithing Needle it right?

I'm thinking about running Prismari Command maindeck in my dragons/turns deck. Hell you can even take a cat down with it. And yeah, I believe you can Needle it:

quote:

702.121a Crew is an activated ability of Vehicle cards. “Crew N” means “Tap any number of untapped creatures you control with total power N or greater: This permanent becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
A token that doesn't even have trample. Ban please.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lmao if anyone thinks Chariot eats a ban before loving goldspan dragon

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Katana Gomai posted:

Let's see how many players register a green W7/Chariot deck for the World Championships in two weeks. I'm pretty sure it's the best thing to do in the format by a mile and will be ubiquitous until one or both cards get banhammered.

Casting a lot of spells and then getting a flying clock for free is quite fun, OP

"my deck is full of garbage do nothing spells and I get a 3/2 wheee"

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Whoops meant the arena thread with my kraken talk.

Also this is the midrange pile part of a brand new standard where people ask for midrange cards to get banned.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Silhouette posted:

lmao if anyone thinks Chariot eats a ban before loving goldspan dragon

Chariot is WAY more problematic than goldspan in current standard. Goldspan is perfectly fine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's too bad they can't just errata Wrenn's token to be legendary.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Katana Gomai posted:

mcmagic posted:

I do think W7 falls off a cliff if Chariot eats a ban which isn't a zero chance.

lmfao who had 9 days in the pool?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

goferchan posted:

I'm thinking about running Prismari Command maindeck in my dragons/turns deck. Hell you can even take a cat down with it. And yeah, I believe you can Needle it:

The turns deck without creatures is way better.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Red Mage: Goldspan is fine but the only counter to it, a 5/5 token is BS!!!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ShaneB posted:

You mean graveyard recursion or the "cast a bunch of little spells for a big payoff" decks?

I think the move toward Arclight style payoffs is them hitting on a sort of quasi-replacement for Storm. It scratches that same itch in people's brains without having its win condition be quite so binary. It feels more like an actual game, both playing it and playing against it, than just "can I kill them before they go off?" or "did they thoughtseize my payoff?"

"Cast a lot of little do-nothing bullshit cards, whoops now you're dead." Feels good. Feels a little like cheating in the same way all good and interesting cards do in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wouldn't be sad to see the chariot go since I do think that combo is currently hurting the diversity of the format, but I also think continuously expecting Wizards to knife the top cards in the meta and hope it shakes out into something better is itself a problem.