Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Libluini posted:

Though I have some modicum of sympathy for not wanting to use an online gaming service on principles, that at least makes sense. On the other hand, I've met people online who genuinely think giving Sony multiple times the money Nintendo wants is good, while Nintendo's service is "over-priced". That's just stupid all the way down, just be honest and say you like Sony's games more, no-one would think lesser of you for that, but fools and their money, etc., etc.

Sony’s online service is better and offers features like party chat. You also get modern games, that’s why it is worth more money. I use that regularly. With Nintendo Network, I didn’t and let my sub run out. It isn’t a social enough service and there was nothing keeping me coming back.

People don’t need to defend Nintendo’s weaknesses. It is ok to admit a company you like is worse at something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Counter point, I hate all the social features and get the same use out of PSN as Nintendo online only at way more for Sony.

I do not want to talk to anyone I played with randomly in a game. The average person playing games and then trying to find friends in the game are horrible people I want nothing to do with.

If I'm going to just play with goons, I'm meeting up with them in discord and probably using that for voice if needed though honestly text is fine.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Achmed Jones posted:

when companies raise prices just because they can, it's gross.

This is a really weird take considering they are releasing more of the content they *own* the rights to and to play on the hardware that that have a patent for and created.

Also, companies can absolutely just raise prices because they can. This isn't some necessary drug/medicine/basic need they are profiting from. It's a drat video game. If you think the price of 2 bucks a month or whatever is ~gross~ then don't pay it. I think it's a fair price and clearly so does a lot of the world.

Spacebump posted:

People don’t need to defend Nintendo’s weaknesses. It is ok to admit a company you like is worse at something.

I do actually think they are worse at it. But really the only reason I want a Nintendo online sub is cloud backup, and a solid back catalog of games. And that's what I'm getting. I'm not here to compete at mario kart or splatoon or whatever other online game. I know a lot of people are though, and I wish they would make the service better for those people.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 24, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think NSO is very cool. :thumbsup:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oh my god it's totally gonna be this

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

All I know is it will be pretty easy to say no to Nintendo on the online expansion.
Until F-Zero X comes out, then I'm probably hosed

I can't say no to online Star Fox 64.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
NSO is cheap as gently caress and serves the purpose I bought it for, though. It's not really something I got thinking "I gotta squeeze every bit of value out of this thing that I can."

To be fair, I spent a lot of time paying for MMOs that I actively hated playing :v: My brain is probably too poisoned to accurately weigh in on it.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
im still pretty mad that my audible sub only gives me one token a month. where can i shitpost about that >=(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nintendo are going to be cowards and won't include rumble capability in the N64 controller. I'll never get to experience the rumble effect in Ocarina of TIme.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hotdog feet posted:

im still pretty mad that my audible sub only gives me one token a month. where can i shitpost about that >=(

It's been a bit since I had a sub because they made tokens expire and I had to use all mine up so I have a big rear end backlog now, but there are higher sub tiers like yearly that will dumb all the credits at once and you can renew early for more. You could also purchase one for your current rate if you were out and had an active sub. (I used to have a lot of dead time where I could listen to books not as much anymore but hey I got like 50 books I want to listen to now!)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

when companies raise prices just because they can, it's gross. when companies cut salaries just because they can, it's gross

when internet people stick up for the companies doing that and prioritize the company making money over their own making (or keeping) money it's really weird

unless you're a nintendo shareholder it is definitely better for you to not pay more for the new games. it's not like releasing it for free would bankrupt nintendo or something, they clearly _could_ release it as part of the same package. they just want number to go up a little faster

im going to pay for the n64 sub and play the games hahaha

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Stux posted:

hosed up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

stux...you bastard...
you won't get away with this

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendo are going to be cowards and won't include rumble capability in the N64 controller. I'll never get to experience the rumble effect in Ocarina of TIme.

They're being oddly cagey about the N64 controller's port. If it was just built in rumble you'd think they'd say as much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

hotdog feet posted:

Audibles books cost are insane if you don’t use credits it’s actually insane

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

unfortunately, we live in a world where businesses will only do things that they can get paid for. yeah it would be nice if we lived in a different kind of world, where companies did cool poo poo for free just for kicks, but given that we don't, i'd rather be given the opportunity to get things i want by paying for them than not be able to get them at all :shrug:

like it's one thing for Total War Warhammer to cost like $300 to get the whole game. it's entirely different to get dozens of old games for like $10.

lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Stux posted:

yeah me too, it'll probably be an additional five bucks a year or something. i'll grumble about it because it's naked "gently caress you pay me," but it's also five bucks and my kid will love it for an hour and that'll be worth it. nintendo's whole strategy here is to just be able to charge little enough that people can justify it in just this way. if they start making it cost a significant amount, folks might decide it's not worth it.

im definitely getting a couple sega controllers and at least one n64 controller, too pace shortages. i hope it's easy to get the japanese six-button ones though cause comix zone owns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yep. if they make ti expensive people wont pay. incredible insight.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thank you, i am a very smart market analyst

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'ma play F-Zero X and like it!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gonna play mario 64 and not like it, but then i'll play something else and like it!

just like i did with the 35th anniversary thing. galaxy was good though

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

acumen posted:

What the gently caress no one has talked about actraiser in like three decades

gently caress you I talk about Actraiser all the time
And EVO Search for Eden

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sony should do a PS1 and PS2 subscription service to compete imo

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

im definitely getting a couple sega controllers and at least one n64 controller, too pace shortages. i hope it's easy to get the japanese six-button ones though cause comix zone owns

eagerly awaiting the post where you spend $150 on controllers and then complain about how scummy Nintendo is for charging you $150

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Miyamoto's been working on this movie and the amusement park...I wonder if he ever works on games anymore.

Come to think of it I wonder what a post Miyamoto Nintendo looks like

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're being oddly cagey about the N64 controller's port. If it was just built in rumble you'd think they'd say as much.

In order to save your games, you have to buy a separate memory cartridge that also costs 40 dollars but they only made 200 of them for the entire world because they were worried it wouldn't sell.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hotdog feet posted:

We have a thread!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3127942

The two credit a month deal kicks rear end.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've been meaning to get around to playing Disco Elysium for a while, is it worth getting it on the switch or should i just get it on steam

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Postman posted:

eagerly awaiting the post where you spend $150 on controllers and then complain about how scummy Nintendo is for charging you $150

you're right, developing a new product is the same as making GBS threads the third (fourth?) iteration of the same emulator into an online service

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Come to think of it I wonder what a post Miyamoto Nintendo looks like

Probably better. Word is he is kinda George Lucas-like in that he is coasting off his good ideas from the past but his new ideas aren't very good.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Cojawfee posted:

In order to save your games, you have to buy a separate memory cartridge that also costs 40 dollars but they only made 200 of them for the entire world because they were worried it wouldn't sell.

Speaking of which, I think Winback is the first N64 game that's been rereleased that actually required the memory pack. Maybe we'll finally get the N64 Goemon games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

you're right, developing a new product is the same as making GBS threads the third (fourth?) iteration of the same emulator into an online service

yes... keep going!!! yes!!!!!!

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The only Castlevania I've ever played was a DS one and that's what I really wanted here on the Switch. Bummer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waltzing Along posted:

Probably better. Word is he is kinda George Lucas-like in that he is coasting off his good ideas from the past but his new ideas aren't very good.

See: adding sword characters to Smash

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Achmed Jones posted:

when companies raise prices just because they can, it's gross. when companies cut salaries just because they can, it's gross

when internet people stick up for the companies doing that and prioritize the company making money over their own making (or keeping) money it's really weird

unless you're a nintendo shareholder it is definitely better for you to not pay more for the new games. it's not like releasing it for free would bankrupt nintendo or something, they clearly _could_ release it as part of the same package. they just want number to go up a little faster
The old online service still exists at the same price tier.

Sorry they didn't continue giving you stuff for free you whiny baby.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

antidote posted:

The only Castlevania I've ever played was a DS one and that's what I really wanted here on the Switch. Bummer.

The GBA ones are good. SOTN is still the best by lightyears tho

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

consistently blown away when Nintendo unveils a controller with Bluetooth

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Postman posted:

consistently blown away when Nintendo unveils a controller with Bluetooth

But it looks like a thing I remember!

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

Isn't Miyamoto one of the main reasons they made the "New Super Mario" series what it is. And then made it stay that was for 5 games in a row? I think I heard that somewhere. But I have no idea how true it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The GBA ones are good. SOTN is still the best by lightyears tho

Aria is significantly better than SotN by virtue of having an actual endgame.