Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I bet the Michaels are thrilled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

terrorist ambulance posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6188093

Lmao makes you wonder a little bit what the purpose of grabbing a senior Huawei executive for offences allegedly committed against another country in a different, other country was. Oh well, she's going to get a fine, alls well that ends well

Man wonder what deal the US cut.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I feel like I'm losing my mind. New Brunswick officials are doing a briefing right now and they're making a presentation explaining "what is the Delta variant?"

Did, did New Brunswick not know about the last eight months?

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

Arc Hammer posted:

I feel like I'm losing my mind. New Brunswick officials are doing a briefing right now and they're making a presentation explaining "what is the Delta variant?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wia8XpjGpRc

or maybe this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgIHiEXWyjA

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 24, 2021

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl
There's no way Paul tries to hold on to GP leadership, right?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

infernal machines posted:

What will happen to the Michaels now?

I kinda don't want to think about it. :(

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://www.thestar.com/politics/2021/09/24/cp-newsalert-emergency-doctor-says-key-parts-of-health-triage-have-begun-in-alberta.html

In other news, parts of triage have apparently begun in Alberta hospitals.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Arc Hammer posted:

To be fair, I'd forgotten about New Brunswick for at least twice that long until now.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

terrorist ambulance posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6188093

Lmao makes you wonder a little bit what the purpose of grabbing a senior Huawei executive for offences allegedly committed against another country in a different, other country was. Oh well, she's going to get a fine, alls well that ends well

It was just a pissing contest between empires with Canada's role being to dutifully genuflect to our hegemon's "case", but there is no real appetite to make the elite on either side personally accountable. It was always supposed to end like this for Meng.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

DynamicSloth posted:

It was just a pissing contest between empires with Canada's role being to dutifully genuflect to our hegemon's "case", but there is no real appetite to make the elite on either side personally accountable. It was always supposed to end like this for Meng.

well no poo poo but the question is what deal was made that apparently didn't bother including the release of the Canadian spies citizens.

Along with AUKUS, kinda feeling like there's been a bit of a falling out with the great white north?

:smithfrog: what's the vaccination rate in Alberta? I know there is more anti vax stuff there...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Calgary police investigating Liberal MP-elect George Chahal

quote:

Former Calgary city councillor captured on camera removing opponent's campaign material from porch

Lol what

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Jesus gently caress why would you do something like this?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

Dr. Verna Yiu, head of Alberta Health Services, said this week one key reason that intensive care wards have not been overwhelmed is because enough COVID-19 patients are dying to free up bed space.

Yup Hinshaw's, "ICU numbers remain steady" actually means 25 in, 25 out every loving day.

They're also outright refusing to say which schools or how many schools have outbreaks. At least one school has gone online-only after 29 people voluntarily reported testing positive(because it's not manditory to do so anymore)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-government-won-t-release-data-on-how-many-schools-have-covid-19-outbreaks-1.6187918

We are so hosed. It's going to get worse. The government is working to make it worse. The government knows how much worse it will get and thinks just not telling anybody is the best course of action. Again.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

:smithfrog: what's the vaccination rate in Alberta? I know there is more anti vax stuff there...

76.9% one dose, 70.8% fully vaxxed. Some rural places under 45% fully vaxxed. Some of those places are having covid parties.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 24, 2021

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Powershift posted:

They're also outright refusing to say which schools or how many schools have outbreaks. At least one school has gone online-only after 29 people voluntarily reported testing positive(because it's not manditory to do so anymore)
I've heard five schools at least, including the one my kids go to. Cases went from 2 to 10 to 18 to 31 and then the school shut.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8216264/edmonton-westglen-school-online-learning-covid-19/

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

I've read that if you're in bad enough shape to get put on a vent with covid, there's like a 5% chance of coming out of it. So almost all of those covid patients will get put on vents for weeks and sometimes months only to die. With outcomes like that, at this point it makes sense just to not do it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBC posted:

I've read that if you're in bad enough shape to get put on a vent with covid, there's like a 5% chance of coming out of it. So almost all of those covid patients will get put on vents for weeks and sometimes months only to die. With outcomes like that, at this point it makes sense just to not do it.

This is a horrible inhuman atrocity of a post and you should feel ashamed for making it.

-a formerly vented Covid patient

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

This is a horrible inhuman atrocity of a post and you should feel ashamed for making it.

-a formerly vented Covid patient

There was a prolonged period at the beginning of the pandemic when patients were intubated too early and it was unnecessary. Is that what happened to you?

These are just medical facts. Sorry if it offends you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, uh, if there's a slim but existing chance that we can save someone's life with medicine of course we should loving do it.

I mean this with all due respect, but: what the hell is wrong with you?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

RBC posted:

what a loving great attitude jesus christ

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

PT6A posted:

Yeah, uh, if there's a slim but existing chance that we can save someone's life with medicine of course we should loving do it.

I mean this with all due respect, but: what the hell is wrong with you?

I think in the sense of triage is what he means. If someone is going to take up a bed for potentially months with a sub 1/20 chance of survival, and in that time prevents patients who have higher chances of survival for an injury or disease but require treatment for that to survive, well...

It's a massive failure to that we are in this situation at all. I'm surprised though at how bad this outbreak is going at that level of vaccination, but I guess it's not evenly distributed and... covid parties.... :smithfrog:

Is BC trending bad too? is anywhere doing as bad like Alberta?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBC posted:

There was a prolonged period at the beginning of the pandemic when patients were intubated too early and it was unnecessary. Is that what happened to you?

gently caress you. That’s people’s lives you’re callously dismissing like that. People deserve to live and to be healthy. And I was in the ICU at the height of the third wave before Ontario opened up vaccination to my age group. A family member got Covid at their workplace and I got the worst of it.

And you don’t have any loving idea how terrifying it was when the ER doctor said “okay, we need to put you on a vent now.” How loving dare you say that they shouldn’t have even loving bothered to try and save my life.

You’re a horrible loving person.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'd like to see the venn diagram of "people who think we should do the obvious thing to save lives and will post excitedly saying as much" and "people who have traveled during the pandemic

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

RBC posted:

Buddy, don't you have a kid that needs constant medical attention and has been hospitalized repeatedly?

If this is a bit, it's not a good one.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"

RBC posted:

We can just put it on your file if anything ever happens to you that has a sub 50% chance of survival, the doctor will immediately execute you if that makes you feel better.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Pretty sure what is meant here is that with the triage situation in Alberta, patients with a 5% chance of survival aren’t going to the top of the priority list and might just die instead. Blame our government for Letting it get to this point.

I hope that’s what he meant, anyway.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

RBC posted:

Doesn't seem like those decisions should be made because of political choices that have (foreseeably) lead to a shortage in medical capacity

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Is BC trending bad too? is anywhere doing as bad like Alberta?

New Brunswick reinstated the state of emergency an hour ago.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Along with AUKUS, kinda feeling like there's been a bit of a falling out with the great white north?

The US won’t allow us to obtain nuclear sub tech as long as we have arctic claims they dispute. That’s like a 60 year old issue I think? The only solution is to build our own. (Or I guess not really defend our territory which is what we’ll probably do since that option is free and doesn’t require anyone to make a decision)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Arivia posted:

How loving dare you say that they shouldn’t have even loving bothered to try and save my life.

Saying something like this today is very different from saying it back when you were sick because of the difference in vaccine availability. I don’t agree with either case, but I’ve seen many people post about compassion fatigue for the unvaccinated. In some private forums I’ve seen people make even stronger claims about billing the unvaccinated for their COVID treatment, or in the case of the US, posts about denying COVID related insurance claims for the unvaccinated.

Again I want to emphasize I don’t agree with RBC’s idea either way. (Barring the necessity of triage and finite resources which shouldn’t be the case) The unvaccinated are victims of various types of societal issues or their own inability to understand the world in which they live in a way most people in this thread take for granted. I don’t have a solution for that kind of thing in a way that doesn’t involve forcible injections or some other gross erosion of freedoms.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

well no poo poo but the question is what deal was made that apparently didn't bother including the release of the Canadian spies citizens.

There's no way a formal deal would include reference to the Michaels since China will never admit the cases are connected or that they retaliated arbitrarily. Maybe there's some kind of behind closed doors agreement or maybe the Americans didn't feel like wasting their negotiating capital on it, as the vassal in this arrangement we really don't get a say.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

gently caress you. That’s people’s lives you’re callously dismissing like that. People deserve to live and to be healthy. And I was in the ICU at the height of the third wave before Ontario opened up vaccination to my age group. A family member got Covid at their workplace and I got the worst of it.

And you don’t have any loving idea how terrifying it was when the ER doctor said “okay, we need to put you on a vent now.” How loving dare you say that they shouldn’t have even loving bothered to try and save my life.

You’re a horrible loving person.

That's not what I said at all dude. I just stated what the situation we're in is. These kinds of decisions are made all the time by family and doctors.

If someone is 80+ and has comorbities and needs to be put on a ventilator for covid or even ecmo they have a basically 0% chance of surviving. This is the kind of triage we're talking about here.

It might sound grim but people die and families need to make choices around end of life.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
That's not what the article says man

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBC posted:

That's not what I said at all dude. I just stated what the situation we're in is. These kinds of decisions are made all the time by family and doctors.

If someone is 80+ and has comorbities and needs to be put on a ventilator for covid or even ecmo they have a basically 0% chance of surviving. This is the kind of triage we're talking about here.

It might sound grim but people die and families need to make choices around end of life.

No I get it it’s okay you read an article. gently caress you.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

The situation in alberta is a nightmare for everyone and dogpiling on me in here for things i'm not even suggesting is not going to fix it :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBC posted:

The situation in alberta is a nightmare for everyone and dogpiling on me in here for things i'm not even suggesting is not going to fix it :shrug:

Your original post wasn’t “hey maybe we don’t vent 80 year olds with a bunch of comorbidities” it was “you’ve only got a 5% chance on a vent at all so why even loving bother”

You have no one to blame for this but yourself. You read an “article” and decided to be a horrible loving ghoul about it, posting without any idea of what triage looks like in Alberta or anywhere else in Canada. Go to loving hell.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Powershift posted:

Yup Hinshaw's, "ICU numbers remain steady" actually means 25 in, 25 out every loving day.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/alberta-government-won-t-release-data-on-how-many-schools-have-covid-19-outbreaks-1.6187918

We are so hosed. It's going to get worse. The government is working to make it worse. The government knows how much worse it will get and thinks just not telling anybody is the best course of action. Again.

76.9% one dose, 70.8% fully vaxxed. Some rural places under 45% fully vaxxed. Some of those places are having covid parties.

2nd lowest in Canada ahead of only Saskatchewan to put things in perspective...they bad.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Your original post wasn’t “hey maybe we don’t vent 80 year olds with a bunch of comorbidities” it was “you’ve only got a 5% chance on a vent at all so why even loving bother”

You have no one to blame for this but yourself. You read an “article” and decided to be a horrible loving ghoul about it, posting without any idea of what triage looks like in Alberta or anywhere else in Canada. Go to loving hell.

If the ICUs in alberta are full of unvaccinated covid patients to the point where everyone else who needs icu care can't get it, yeah doctors are going to have to make those decisions.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBC posted:

If the ICUs in alberta are full of unvaccinated covid patients to the point where everyone else who needs icu care can't get it, yeah doctors are going to have to make those decisions.

Yes that is literally the crisis triage the health system is already discussing you dipshit. That’s still not an excuse for your horrible ghoulish “no one gets ventilators at all” poo poo.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Yes that is literally the crisis triage the health system is already discussing you dipshit. That’s still not an excuse for your horrible ghoulish “no one gets ventilators at all” poo poo.

That's not what I said and after clarifying several times I'm just gonna give up. You can win at being mad or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBC posted:

This was my take away. Hearing that people are getting turned away from the ER / getting stuck waiting in the states because poo poo's full up with presumably unvaccinated people, is really kind of infuriating.

I don't want anyone to have to make choices between who lives or dies, or for anyone who has a low chance of survival not to get it. But the idea that me, a family member or friend, all could be at risk of not getting critical care because the hospital has a single bed taken up by someone who could have vaccinated, fills me with loving rage. The fact that people are not getting non-critical care they still need because idiots can't be bothered to suck it up and vaccinate pisses me off.

I'm just so tired of it all. I have so little sympathy for anti-vaxxers. They don't want to trust doctors until it means they're taking up a bed someone else could need.