Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019
Not strictly a map per se, but still interesting to see fertility rates for every country graphed like that.

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1440740197071671297

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
It’s an elegant visual until you want to actually want to find a specific country.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Natty Ninefingers posted:

It’s an elegant visual until you want to actually want to find a specific country.

I found my specific country pretty fast, but I knew where to look :v:

:negative:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Not true, Framatome has 15 years of experience building NPPs in Olkiluoto and Flamanville.

Experience in completing them, not so much.

Olkiluoto 3 has been such a disaster that the French government has subsidised it at something like 700 euros per every citizen of Finland. Merci beaucoup bitches

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most_expensive_buildings

:finland:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

CourtFundedPoster posted:

Not strictly a map per se, but still interesting to see fertility rates for every country graphed like that.

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1440740197071671297

It would be interesting to see the correlation between HDI and fertility, it seems almost universal.

e:

Huh, that's actually pretty interesting:

pubmed abstract posted:

Myrskylä et al. (2009) found that the relationship between the human development index (HDI) and the total fertility rate (TFR) reverses from negative (i.e., increases in HDI are associated with decreases in TFR) to positive (i.e., increases in HDI are associated with increases in TFR) at an HDI level of 0.86. In this article, we show that the reversal in the HDI-TFR relationship is robust to neither the UNDP's recent revision in the HDI calculation method nor the decomposition of the HDI into its education, standard-of-living, and health subindices.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 24, 2021

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Private Speech posted:

It would be interesting to see the correlation between HDI and fertility, it seems almost universal.

e:

Makes a kind of sense. At a certain point the human body physically can’t just keep pumping out babies, while the human body is always physically capable of dying more.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019

Private Speech posted:

Myrskylä et al. (2009) found that the relationship between the human development index and the total fertility rate reverses from negative to positive at an HDI level of 0.86.

Yeah, my (admittedly limited) understanding is that urbanization is the biggest culprit of fertility decline. As people start moving to cities, the costs of having children begins to dramatically outweigh their economic value (i.e. another mouth to feed in an already cramped living space vs another hand to till the field and help with the harvest). Cities also tend to give women more access to the tools that allow them to have more control over their reproduction (education and contraception).

I'd imagine that the economic calculations become less brutal when incomes start to dramatically rise, and so that would explain the increase after .86, but after that point I would suspect it would transcend economics and become almost entirely cultural/personal. Some people want to have a lot kids, some people want to have none.

There was an interesting book I should get around to reading called Empty Planet that talks about this stuff. I've seen a few lectures on Youtube from the authors and they claim that fertility is dropping at such a fast rate that it renders the long-term U.N. estimates for world population overly optimistic.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I think urbanization and industrialization are better predictors of fertility than just wealth in terms of GDP. Fertility rates are low across the entire former East Bloc, regardless of whether or not their post-communist economic transition has been successful - in fact, the lowest numbers can be found in countries like Bulgaria.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the biggest initial explanatory factor (if you can call it that) for the first demographic transition, usually with a delay of a couple of decades at least, was simply the decline of mortality. This involves a host of sociological and psychological factors, such as increased parental investment in individual children, more rational family planning, etc.
The second demographic transition from the 1960's on, often involving sub-replacement fertility, owed a lot to the rise of, and increased access to, contraceptives, although in another sense it was merely continuing on the pre-war trajectory which had been interrupted and reversed by WWII.

My thesis was basically about the first demographic transition and the disruptive effects of the Industrial Revolution on things like average age at marriage (which in the Western world actually went down during the 19th century), but I'm ashamed to say I forgot much of it

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Private Speech posted:

e:

It's probably related to the fact that at that level of development, society doesn't yet take on responsibility for supporting families like it does in more developed economies, but women do have the freedom to say "yeah, screw that" to sacrificing everything for the kids.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's probably related to the fact that at that level of development, society doesn't yet take on responsibility for supporting families like it does in more developed economies, but women do have the freedom to say "yeah, screw that" to sacrificing everything for the kids.

This is indeed considered a big reason why Scandinavian countries have significantly higher fertility rates than most of the rest of Europe.

If I had to construct a narrative, I would say that things like increased urbanization, industrialization, education/access to contraceptives and a decline in mortality will almost inevitably lead to the strong initial decrease in fertility that is known as the first demographic transition.

Once nations have effectively reached that point of depressed fertility, things like effective state intervention and general economic outlook, both strongly correlated to the HDI and wealth in terms of GDP, can actually start correlating positively to fertility.

e: yeah, if I'm reading that abstract correctly, the article seems to be saying that the relationship reverses itself once countries reach a certain HDI level.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 24, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Blut posted:

Convenient cutoff of almost 3 years ago you've got there.

Yes, very convenient that I dictate the date ranges for Eurostat. Nice job implying I specifically chose those in my post to disprove the claim that coal use has gone up massively since the year 2000. gently caress off.

Blut posted:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michae...-not-willpower/

Good thing they shut down all those non polluting nuclear power plants so they can increase the use of coal, probably the most environmentally damaging source of electricity possible, by 44% (!) eh?

edit, actually this is worth quoting too, just because it sums up the results of the madness of the German Green's anti nuclear policy perfectly. From the same article:

Yes, the madness of the Greens who ARE NOT IN POWER, and HAVE NOT BEEN IN POWER FOR 16 YEARS.

Anyway, that blog post is from someone I actually recognise. He's that guy:

wikipedia posted:

In June 2020, Shellenberger published Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All, in which the author argues that climate change is not the existential threat it is portrayed to be in popular media and activism. Rather, he posits that technological innovation and capital accumulation, if allowed to continue and grow, will remedy environmental issues.
:dumbbravo:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Green parties do have a lot of influence when it comes to other people wanting to appear green, mind you.

Look at the idea amongst a good amount of people in Britain that an electric railway is the single largest threat to the environment in the country ever, for example.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

galagazombie posted:

Makes a kind of sense. At a certain point the human body physically can’t just keep pumping out babies, while the human body is always physically capable of dying more.

That's a very different argument, .86 is quite high on the HDI scale. US is something like .91 IIRC.

fe: .926

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Lmao at the 44 billion US dollar air base :tito:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Who will be lolling when Stalin's armour comes rolling through the Fulda gap

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

There was an interesting book I should get around to reading called Empty Planet that talks about this stuff. I've seen a few lectures on Youtube from the authors and they claim that fertility is dropping at such a fast rate that it renders the long-term U.N. estimates for world population overly optimistic.
Optimistic? That's not the word I'd use.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Lmao at the 44 billion US dollar air base :tito:

Those pictures are cool as hell. They should make a tourist attraction out of it considering how close it is to plitvice.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Optimistic? That's not the word I'd use.

Yeah, perhaps not the best wording.

In the talks I have seen them give they do mention that while it's not great news for government pension funds and growth-based economic systems, it's pretty good news for the broader environment.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Yeah, perhaps not the best wording.

In the talks I have seen them give they do mention that while it's not great news for government pension funds and growth-based economic systems, it's pretty good news for the broader environment.

Optimistic was absolutely the right word

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/LegoRacers2/status/1441119417560023042?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No data for Moldova, where even the melons can be vampires?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
France used to be werewolf, but many rougarou left for Québec.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maps that do every country in Europe as a single unit each but then split the UK are dumb.

But I guess it does split Russia, France, and Spain for whatever reason. And that river in Ukraine is shown for some reason?

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 24, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Have some fun maps. How [thing] is called in a region. Do not be alarmed by the borders, it's not using national borders† but regions where German is spoken.

Pancake:

House shoes:

10:15

(This is the :psyduck: version: purple is "quarter eleven" and yellow is "quarter over ten")

The end slice of a bread:

Yet

Sauße is https://www.atlas-alltagssprache.de

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Werewolf Spain and Portugal makes no sense imo

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

SlothfulCobra posted:

Maps that do every country in Europe as a single unit each but then split the UK are dumb.

But I guess it does split Russia, France, and Spain for whatever reason. And that river in Ukraine is shown for some reason?

"That river" is a big deal. Historically the country was split into "left bank Ukraine" and "right bank Ukraine" referencing parts of the country east and west of the Dnieper respectively. I'm not sure if this division is relevant today, but if you're looking at historical werewolf fiction then it's probably much more important.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I kind of feel like with all their historical (and current fascist usage) Turkey should be a werewolf country.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Antigravitas posted:

10:15

(This is the :psyduck: version: purple is "quarter eleven" and yellow is "quarter over ten")
People from the west I saw confronted with times like "viertel elf" alway thought of it as something decidedly south German, so the Bavarian-speaking part not having that is kind of blowing my mind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

One map that is kind crazy is the star wars map. Apparently it only covers half the galaxy and the other half is "mysterious". Motherfuckers, you have faster than light travel and already explored half of it, what is stopping you?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Tei posted:

One map that is kind crazy is the star wars map. Apparently it only covers half the galaxy and the other half is "mysterious". Motherfuckers, you have faster than light travel and already explored half of it, what is stopping you?

The official answer is "hyperspace anomalies". This is also why they don't travel outside the galaxy.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

The official answer is "hyperspace anomalies". This is also why they don't travel outside the galaxy.

What lazy writting. Sounds like the "Reserved for DLC's" in videogames. They are not confident they can summon a fierce enemy from thin air in case they need one, so they reserve half the galaxy for that.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

They did exactly that for the FO in the new trilogy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Exploring new hyperspace routes is very difficult, and there's not a lot of demand for pushing even further away when there's still a lot of gaps between established routes and known worlds to figure out. And there's sort of a Sysiphus thing going on where people have explored a lot of places but the routes fall out of date or the records just get lost over the centuries or even not registering their findings with the authorities in the Republic. There's also a couple aggressive and xenophobic independent territories out there as well, so it's dangerous to go poking beyond just space phenomena. From a real-world perspective, the setting has to have a lot of ambiguity and mystery to it so probably most people don't know much about most of the galaxy.

Unknown Regions is also kind of a region name that gets thrown around a lot. There's known planets in the Unknown Regions, and there's weirder galactic geography that gets talked about but I've never really seen mapped out, like supposedly there's dwarf galaxies closely orbiting the main galaxy and Kamino is supposed to be in one of those dwarf galaxies. I think most Star Wars writers don't really work off of visual maps and mostly fudge what is close to where.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That map is all sorts of wrong. I hate it. gently caress that map and the police.

e: There is no mention in any Nordic literature (or folklore) about werewolfs. It's all tonttus and keepers (elfs) and hobs goblin.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Don't the Klingons and cardasians have a canonical border? They had a war in ds9 I'm pretty sure.

Also borders in space is always such a ridiculous concept

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They did have a war, but also that second map is the closest thing to a canon map that exists--it was used on screen in Discovery once.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

That map is all sorts of wrong. I hate it. gently caress that map and the police.

e: There is no mention in any Nordic literature (or folklore) about werewolfs. It's all tonttus and keepers (elfs) and hobs goblin.

Close enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The old Norse draugr is basically a vampire in that it's the actual walking dead corpse and is also a shapeshifter that can turn into various forms of animal and is commonly slain by driving a spike into it and removing the head.