Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Mola Yam posted:

why not give the interview?

i mean, mayyyybe this prince andrew thing will go somewhere and prove me wrong, but it's not like these people generally face consequences for anything they say in the public domain.
gates spends a lot of resources cultivating his public image so to torpedo it personally himself is really funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I've been trying to tell people on here, and everywhere generally, that "outlets" do not matter. They never did but less now than ever in my life, certainly. All the old formerly good left media like DN!, New Inquiry, Black Agenda Report, CounterPunch, Globalnews.ca, et al have dropped precipitously in quality and have started tacking towards mainstream outlet positions. I remember listening to Amy Goodman beat the Putin/Russiagate in 2016 or 2017, felt something out of Twilight Zone.

But no you could never really just read and uncritically accept any outlet at all. Jacobin is extremely reactionary, for example, always has been (if you notice I didn't include them under formerly good...) with only Red patina. Intercept is new and needs very critical reading (Omidyar, lol), Off-Guardian ditto but a little better than Intercept (very similar), MintPress has a Zizekian pseud-left bent but not disastrous (still requires you to read critically!!). Actually BAR isn't currently disastrous but really trending in horrid directions with Kimberley and Haiphong notably - with the deaths of Bruce Dixon (2019) and Glen Ford (2021) the outlet is basically done as a rigorous ML platform.

There is no Trusted Source. Even if you have a historically good outlet that remains strongly good it's not as though some pseud author can't trick them into publishing some garbage article with little, hard-to-catch reactionary or stupid argumentation/posturing/position. No you have to always, always think materially and critically about the news you receive - author, outlet, audience, motive, etc. Which is why in this thread we can say yes New York Post is publishing the most Epstein-critical articles and breaking Maxwell stories and so on but we don't also turn around and say that the outlet is good, without faults, furthering the interests of the working class, or any such non-sense. Rather we think, hey, why the New York Post, of all outlets? I forget what we discovered, there's a Barr connection in there I think?

Anyway I think you know this well enough Tubgoat but it's always worth repeating for any who don't. Stop relying on ~institutions~ you trust or even intellectuals you trust or any of this junk, trust none of it and figure out what the gently caress is really going on by reading "between the lines" (as it were) (reading critically; thinking dialectically; thinking materially) and doing your own homework (if someone makes a claim, verify it!).
you can dismiss anyone pushing russiagate as a hard media filter

this leaves you with uh...*checks notes* welp

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

gates spends a lot of resources cultivating his public image so to torpedo it personally himself is really funny

yeah i don't get why he did the interview. i understand living in a bubble, surrounded by yes-men, but he just didn't sound overconfident or hubristic at all. he acted like he was in an interrogation room and they're showing him what they found on his hard drive

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

comedyblissoption posted:

you can dismiss anyone pushing russiagate as a hard media filter

this leaves you with uh...*checks notes* welp

Oh sorry I should've mentioned one source which is still solid, which is Moon of Alabama. Although their focus is almost entirely on imperialism/geopolitics with not much to say on domestic programs (either in US or abroad).

But that's a good challenge, finding media not pushing Russiagate. Hmm... I don't know, really, I'm not that on-the-pulse with outlets as I once was. I feel like Intercept doesn't push it? Bit of a shot in the dark. CounterPunch is broad spectrum submissions without its own particular goals (per se) so that one probably ends up a mixed bag - mostly I'm anti-Counterpunch these days because of the reactionary poo poo they print now that they used to refuse and also they've taken to declining or even removing articles which are too-left or overly 'conspiratorial' (read: heterodox). Globalnews.ca is set up in much the same way as Counterpunch. I think Off-Guardian fucks off the Russiagate stuff, I don't recall them pushing it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

gradenko_2000 posted:

start at page 789, and again at about page 812

thanks!!

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
child rapist, demon cracker genocide nation
https://twitter.com/lakotalaw/status/1440664734571778051
https://twitter.com/lakotalaw/status/1440664738929643524

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

new ghost stories episode is great

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

nut posted:

Of course both of these show it was very rare and so the “myth” works by framing it as something common or “significant”. But it did happen despite overwhelmingly being called myth. admittedly, I am curious about a case in the 60s where the ~creator~ of LSD confused a pile of strychnine for it…

this is from pages ago, but when I was a high school kid in the late 90s, cheap LSD that was mostly very strong and clean was very available and very cheap (and the drying up of it in that area corresponds pretty neartly to the Pickard bust, take from that what you will).

In any case, my impression was this was coming into the area as crystal and being laid locally in some cases; I had people offer me access to crystal or liquid but it was always an incomprehensible amount of acid to me, so I did not pursue it.

One of the kids I knew to supply it at the lowest level (1-100 tabs at a time generally), believed that strychnine was "necessary" to make LSD "stick to the paper", and somewhat alarmingly he also claimed to know the person who was creating a lot of the paper that was in the area.

Beyond that, it may all have been total bullshit -- LSD itself can have vasoconstrictive effects, and I'm not convinced that trace strychnine in tiny microgram amounts would have metabolically active effects. That doesn't mean that some idiot acid dealer in my idiot town might not have been taught that they needed to "use a little strychnine to make acid stick to paper". Every first hand testimonial I've heard about dealing with acid in that quantity has had some level of batshit insanity in it. I read once (I think in Acid Dreams) that when Owsley Stanley was really into LSD synthesis, they came to believe that the psychic energy present in the room at the moment of crystallization would impact the effects for users of the drug later on. It's very very easy to end up on constant doses of acid if you're working with it in a pure form.

tl;dr I have no problem believing that the strychnine-in-LSD thing became, on some small level, a self fulfilling prophecy. I also have never seen an actual lab report of blotter paper with strychnine on it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

some minor cult is having its dirty laundry aired via lawsuit
https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-city/plaza-denizen-ran-secret-cult-masquerading-study-group-suit

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

This is 100% what I think happened with Gary Condit.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why? I took a brief look through his page and he didn't seem to be a big leftist nor did his Dem successor seem particularly spooky. Was there some vote or was he like a war opponent?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

libs trying to blame rape culture on communist operatives is a new one for me

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Gotta respect the great Satan’s hustle.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm sure which part of this horrifying article to quote, but I hope I did a good job:

quote:

In particular, it critically changes the definition of “quarantine” from that in the 1969 IHR. There, it is used only in the expression “in quarantine” defined to be a “state or condition during which measures are applied by a health authority to a … means of transport or container, to prevent the spread of disease, reservoirs of disease or vectors of disease from the object of quarantine”.[i]

The 2005 revised IHR use the term by itself, and define it as “the restriction of activities and/or separation from others of suspect persons who are not ill or of suspect baggage, containers, conveyances or goods in such a manner as to prevent the possible spread of infection or contamination”.

This represents a subtle but critical shift from protection of the community to restriction of individual liberties.

The implementation of quarantine and other coercive measures on all, including surveillance and vaccination, is legalized: the expression “suspect persons” criminalizes every individual, both healthy and unhealthy.

Indeed, it covers anyone “considered by a State Party as having been exposed, or possibly exposed, to a public health risk and that could be a possible source of spread of disease”. Of significance is the use of “possibly” and “possible”, hence not just anyone definitely known to be a risk factor.

quote:

This said, the treaty would presumably also make clear the idea expressed in the 2007 CDC “Interim Pre-pandemic planning guidance”,[i] namely overruling the need of a pandemic to implement restrictive measures. All that would be needed would be for an event to be declared a “public health emergency of pandemic potential”.

Given that any future event is always hypothetical, does this enable the maintenance of the measures for an indeterminate period? For it can always be claimed that a pandemic will occur especially were the measures lifted. This raises many questions, all the more so as the event would no long need to be of “international concern as in the current IHR”. “Measures”, as advised, should also go beyond the current scope of IHR”, in particular to cover the production and supply of vaccines, diagnostics, and treatments”.[ii]

The treaty would unlike the IHR also go beyond sanitary issues and allow the implementation of measures against “social and economic disruptions” as well as “broader disaster risk”.[i]

https://principia-scientific.com/pending-international-treaty-empowering-the-who/

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh sorry I should've mentioned one source which is still solid, which is Moon of Alabama. Although their focus is almost entirely on imperialism/geopolitics with not much to say on domestic programs (either in US or abroad).

But that's a good challenge, finding media not pushing Russiagate. Hmm... I don't know, really, I'm not that on-the-pulse with outlets as I once was. I feel like Intercept doesn't push it? Bit of a shot in the dark. CounterPunch is broad spectrum submissions without its own particular goals (per se) so that one probably ends up a mixed bag - mostly I'm anti-Counterpunch these days because of the reactionary poo poo they print now that they used to refuse and also they've taken to declining or even removing articles which are too-left or overly 'conspiratorial' (read: heterodox). Globalnews.ca is set up in much the same way as Counterpunch. I think Off-Guardian fucks off the Russiagate stuff, I don't recall them pushing it.
the intercept was only partly against russiagate because glenn greenwald was there at the time. they still hired people to push pro-russiagate discourse and their editorial staff were pushing it

grayzone and disparate youtubers (e.g. jimmy dore lmao) and substackers are the only people who did not push russiagate

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1440485603703885829

Did anyone post this yet?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The best thing about that is the hard question is the middle one "Why did you keep meeting with him over the course of several years" and he just sidesteps it ASAP. The one he fucks up is the softball!

"What lessons did you learn from this?" That's teeing him up to do some good damage control "Well, in business and philanthropy you need to thoroughly vet everyone you agree to meet, etc etc etc" and he just whiffs it as hard as he possibly could!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"well, he's dead so, message heard loud and clear, cabal!" *thumbs up*

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

She handed him the rope to climb up and he made himself a nice little noose instead. Just absolutely stunning.

And this is a dude who has absolutely had extensive image and crisis media training meetings about this poo poo.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
just lol if bill gates wasn't always on your top 5 list of likely epstein murder instigators

animist
Aug 28, 2018
"in general you always have to be careful" :thunk:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
wait i thought he killed himself

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Stevie Lee posted:

wait i thought he killed himself

Huh?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/antonioregalado/status/1438920582331047948
https://twitter.com/Grady_Booch/status/1438983046758236161
https://twitter.com/antonioregalado/status/1438962527648559110

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

:eyepop:

:killing:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

jfc

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Epstein adjacent

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1441467669304078336?s=20

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I used to fear and dread the oncoming collapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrWL0i6oZGE

Kahlil Gibran posted:

“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.

:getin:

nut
Jul 30, 2019

wow it’s not eugenics, they just want some scientists to provide some input about your putative children—some kind of group…or panel, if you will

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

just need a catchy label so you can stick it on your resume and weed out the undesirables.

Genetics: HealthScreened Approved!

Now of course your employer can’t ask if you’re HealthScreen Approved, but if it’s missing from your resume, well let’s just say you’re not getting a call back.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ that's horrifying

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

No joke, eugenicist rich were what made me crack ping in the first place.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

literal no difference between that rich guy IQ post and a lord telling me to give him my beets because of divine right, they both need to go immediately

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

what..... the........ gently caress.................

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1441470021310504960

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/seasonalgal93/status/1441473767788716035

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

I am resolutely hostile to human enhancement tech; our species just is not capable of using it morally, and I sideeye folks championing it. Genetics and biology has never had the come to Jesus moment anthropology has had, and it shows.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I'm not going to click that link but it isn't entirely uncommon for someone to use a surrogate in their family, including their mother.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

100% chance at some point somebody will yell ''Mongoose number 9" and Andersoon Cooper will murder a presidential candidate