Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Funzo posted:

So far I just can't figure out airbrushing inks. It's either spattering all over if I try using it right out of the bottle or a watery mess if I use thinner. Any recommendations?

I'd suggest lowering your PSI and trying from farther back.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Doctor Goon posted:

Inks question: I've never used these before, and I'll be going to the arts store this afternoon to get some black ink, since I'd like to try recess shading and it looks like mixing black ink with black paint is a good way to do so. Are there any other useful colors I should get while I'm there? Maybe a white and a brown?

seconding umber and payne's grey for shading. Also some contrast medium to mix with your inks, especially if you're recess shading. Contrast flows very easily into the recesses and is probably the best way to recess shade outside of using oil paints.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Funzo posted:

So far I just can't figure out airbrushing inks. It's either spattering all over if I try using it right out of the bottle or a watery mess if I use thinner. Any recommendations?

Have you tried trying different pressures? And is there a specific colour that is causing problems. I've found the opaque white is much more finicky compared to the semi and fully transparent colours.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I normally recess shade with drakenhopf nightshade and it takes forever to go back over it to clean up everything. What contrast paint would be a rough equivalent? Leviadon blue?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

liquitex airbrush medium is a really good purchase, you can go 1:1 with that and an ink, maybe a drop or two of flow improver too per ten drops of ink/medium, you’ll get a really perfect consistency that isn’t so overpowering that a single coat gives you too much saturation

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just got new iphone and the macro capabilities are fantastic. im going to fret over so many more tiny flaws in my paintjobs

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks all for your input! I paint on the living room table so I probably won't ever use an airbrush. I got some white, yellow, burnt umber and payne's grey along with the black.

I didn't see the message about contrast medium before I got home, but I bought some matte medium and some flow improver. Hopefully it'll do the trick and I won't be tempted to claw my eyes out after doing half a Space Marine's leg :v:

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
So I just got the army painter wet palette as a gift, soaked the foam such that there's a little bit of water at the bottom of the tray, put the sheet on top and flattened out the air bubbles like the instructions said etc. My problem is that my paints seem to thin out very fast. I put a couple blobs of paint on the sheet and a drop of water to thin it, in the same ratio I used to use on my plastic palette. The thickness of the paint starts right, but very quickly becomes too thin to use. Is my foam too wet? Should I use less water on top?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

don’t thin the paint as a matter of course, just blob it neat onto the wet palette. you can thin it as you’re using it

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Funzo posted:

Make sure you are using artist acrylic ink and not watercolor ink, they come in similar dropper bottles.

I made the mistake of picking up Dawler Rowney aquafine once and it was awful.

Ed: is was good for thinning paint and doing freehand lines but it was just a sputtering mess through an airbrush.

kzin602 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 24, 2021

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

don’t thin the paint as a matter of course, just blob it neat onto the wet palette. you can thin it as you’re using it

How do you do that? spread it thinly over the sheet?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ristolaz posted:

How do you do that? spread it thinly over the sheet?
just pull a brushful out of the blob at a time, after a while you kinda get a feel for how moist your brush should be to perfectly thin down the brushful of paint

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

just pull a brushful out of the blob at a time, after a while you kinda get a feel for how moist your brush should be to perfectly thin down the brushful of paint

cool, I'll try it, thanks!

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Has anyone use warcolour paints. The gel medium seems like a first step to on model oil paint blending.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

MasterBuilder posted:

Has anyone use warcolour paints. The gel medium seems like a first step to on model oil paint blending.

Yeah. I would suggest picking up their paint drying retarder to do blending with. One thing I've found with them is to go a bit thicker with paint than you're used to and paint over white or off-white initially or the transparency of them will drive you crazy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was looking at something along the lines of this scheme:

When I painted this vehicle:

And overall I'm very happy with how it came out.

That was just a one-off project when I bought an airbrush last year, but now I bought more Orks and am painting infantry and I don't love the scheme on these Boys (WIP obviously):

The full-yellow jump suit is just... A lot. I don't want to do black pants as I plan on keeping the boots black, but maybe a dark brown would be good? And I feel like the single green "accent" shoulder plate is garish with all those colors so close together :(

Any thoughts without straying too far from that scheme?

Also I seem to have lost my silly putty and didn't have anything to mask the Ork with when I just sprayed the green on, so there's a bit of overspray :saddowns:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 24, 2021

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah. I would suggest picking up their paint drying retarder to do blending with. One thing I've found with them is to go a bit thicker with paint than you're used to and paint over white or off-white initially or the transparency of them will drive you crazy.
cool thanks

Sab669 posted:

What's this website/program?
\/ thanks

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 24, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=color+picker&ia=answer

It's the tool built into DDG

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

Sab669 posted:

The ork's skin in the second pic looks way more reddish than the colour you picked out in the app. If it was the same blueish purple you chose, I think it would look a lot closer to what you imagined and the colours would clash less

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Sab669 posted:

When I painted this vehicle:

And overall I'm very happy with how it came out.

That was just a one-off project when I bought an airbrush last year, but now I bought more Orks and am painting infantry and I don't love the scheme on these Boys (WIP obviously):

The full-yellow jump suit is just... A lot. I don't want to do black pants as I plan on keeping the boots black, but maybe a dark brown would be good? And I feel like the single green "accent" shoulder plate is garish with all those colors so close together :(

Also I seem to have lost my silly putty and didn't have anything to mask the Ork with when I just sprayed the green on, so there's a bit of overspray :saddowns:

Yeah I agree, dark or khaki brown for the jumpsuit would work a lot better. I might also try weathering the metallic bits to bring down the shine.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Quick thought check: still very, very slowly working on those Assault Intercessors. Incubi Darkness armor with Zandri Dust (?) bone accents. Thinking about how to mark out the sergeant; full red helm Ultramarines-style likely to look any good with Incubi Darkness? Maybe a marginally darker red but that's the idea at the moment at least. Been having issues with my wet palette not keeping a decent consistency for paints very well so don't want to go for something freehand quite yet on the helmet. Maybe on the shoulder shield (those totally have a name I'm blanking on...) though.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Adobe also has a really nice online color picker thing https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ristolaz posted:

The ork's skin in the second pic looks way more reddish than the colour you picked out in the app. If it was the same blueish purple you chose, I think it would look a lot closer to what you imagined and the colours would clash less

That's fair, I did use the Contrast Volupus Pink instead of... whatever the Contrast Purple is :v: But I did wash it with some Purple Tone [and then highlight with Warlord Pink again]

Mikey Purp posted:

Yeah I agree, dark or khaki brown for the jumpsuit would work a lot better. I might also try weathering the metallic bits to bring down the shine.

I actually don't want to weather the metal bits down too heavily :ohdear: My headcannon is that these are a band of 'prematurely born' Orks that never quite fully grew out of being Squigs, to make up for their non-green skin they take extreme pride in their bright green metal bits to show they're tougher than any Greenskins :haw:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 24, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The contrast range doesn't have a good vibrant purple, unfortunately. Getting good-looking purple paint is surprisingly difficult.

Shyish is too dark, and I haven't found a mixed combination that looks ok. 1:1 Tallassar and Blood Angels just gets a recreation of Shyish Purple. I probably need to try a 2:1 mix with some medium to thin it more.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Funzo posted:

Higher air pressure and farther away, out of the bottle.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Funzo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FninJVxExlY&t=1s

basically watch this.

what I found key with airbrushing inks thanks to the video is to aim for quick bursts and basically ride the trigger and let the airflow dry the ink between layers.

you'll only really want to use thinner with inks if you want to dilute it for transparency not for flow.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
One caveat to the airbrushing ink thing is that if it's specifically daler rowney FW white that is causing you trouble, just toss it in the trash. That stuff is just defective.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Mikey Purp posted:

One caveat to the airbrushing ink thing is that if it's specifically daler rowney FW white that is causing you trouble, just toss it in the trash. That stuff is just defective.

Echo that.
I had nothing but trouble with DW white, but Liquitex white ink works great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Fire is fun to paint. Also tried out a more yellowish skin tone to fit with the flames, and the purple was just the only tertiary color I could think of other than blue. Trying out fancy layering techniques on the visible spots like arms/face but just using contrast paints elsewhere.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

That mask is sick.

Also anyone recommend a vallejo model colour analogue for pallid wyche flesh? Looking for a slightly grey white that isn't pure rear end to work with. VMC off white is a bit warm. VMC is all my lgs stocks.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Try VMC Light Gull Gray

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

Try VMC Light Gull Gray

VMC Silver Grey is my equivalent, both will need just a touch of flesh in there to round it out.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Has anyone ever tried making their own CA Glue accelerator?

I'm seeing that 1/2 tsp of baking soda into 1/4 cup of purified water or isopropyl alcohol will give you the same results as the off the shelf product?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
In general just a light misting of water has the same effect as accelerators if you're in a pinch

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished the last marine of my 10 man Fortis Kill-Team.

He serves as the leader of one of the two Combat Squads.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

AndyElusive posted:

Finished the last marine of my 10 man Fortis Kill-Team.

He serves as the leader of one of the two Combat Squads.

Holy poo poo dude, these slap.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Vaporware posted:

In general just a light misting of water has the same effect as accelerators if you're in a pinch

Yeah, I just use a little spritz bottle of 91% isopropyl

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Bucnasti posted:

Echo that.
I had nothing but trouble with DW white, but Liquitex white ink works great.

Quick question: I picked up a bottle of the liquitex titanium white ink to sub in for white stynylrez in the zenithal highlighting step. Do I need to worry about, or is there a good tip to avoid, 'reactivating' the white ink if I paint some colored inks or glazes over the top? Or should I just proceed as I would have over white primer?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Keep loving something up with my wet palette that I never used to gently caress up and have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Paint is drying up near immediately on the palette and flowing like poo poo. Paper towel (substituting sponge) is fully saturated, paper's treated right, doing everything the same way I did it for years with full success, even with the same supplies. But not getting positive results. And my good brush keeps splaying out too. Really don't want to have to replace that. :smith:

Bad day for hobby. Another day of "I really enjoy building stuff but god I hate painting it" I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Acrylic inks are fine like any regular paint. Just give it a sec to dry before you take a brush to it cause it can come off if you're too aggressive with the brush.