Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

Copped a minor road rage today for stealing somebody's spot at the petrol station

Daft motherfucker had driven past the open pump and was trying to reverse into it lol

Good job, gas stations are not for dithering.

Couple years ago I pulled into a full gas station and found one pump with an unattended rich mom Audi that left enough room for me to squeeze in. By the time I finished filling up she’d come up on me yelling so I just pointed at my ears and said “EARPLUGS” and rode off. Big she was irate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The fuel filler should always be on the driver's side and it's only through stupid engineering decisions that it ends up on the other side. Prove me wrong

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Last time I was filling up, some shitheads in an older BMW pulled up inbetween the middle 4 pumps, one got out and went into the store and bought a couple bottles of juice, then they drove to the far side of the lot near the car wash and parked.

So effectively no one in a car could use 3 of the pumps while they got drinks. God forbid they park somewhere out of the traffic flow.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

PeterCat posted:

Did this have to do with trying to line the correct side of the car up to put gas in it?

That's what he said, but tesco has long hoses, you don't even need the pump to be on the same side as your cap!

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I've simmered down enough to post now. My dad and I were having a pretty fun ride today, this was our first ride together since he got his new Rebel 500.

Anyway, we went to a large lookout in the area, where there were alot of other bikes gathered, then went and ate some pizza.

On our way back, going up a hill that's blind from the opposing lane, comes a late 90s early 2000s black Camaro in our lane, dust flying and the car actually shimmying as he's braking hard.

He missed us thankfully, dad pulled off a few miles on up the road and we both vented.

Then I came home and managed to lock my bike and outbuilding key up with the drat thing sitting in the ignition.

poo poo

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sagebrush posted:

The fuel filler should always be on the driver's side and it's only through stupid engineering decisions that it ends up on the other side. Prove me wrong

My Subaru has it on the driver's side for a Japanese car however they have right hand drive cars and Americans have left hand drive cars.

So when they make the American model with the steering wheel on the left side the fuel fueler is now on the wrong side of the car.

My 73 Cutlass supreme has the gas fill under the rear license plate so it doesn't matter which side I pull up on.

Personally I prefer having it on the passenger side because it leaves me more room to open my car door when I get out to put gas in it. I don't have to worry about the driver side door hitting the fuel pump.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 21, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm trying to think of a worse solution to "sun in your eyes" than this one, but I'm not having much luck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
the thing I hate most about this is imgur have made it such a bastard to view full resolution images that I can't zoom in and look at all the awful details, because all it wants to show me is the 640x480 pixel thumbnail :mad:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

XS650-based hard-tail bobber?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
At least if the petcock's in the right place it's real easy to drain the tank fully.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

XS650-based hard-tail bobber?

Yeah.

The reason it goes in this thread is threefold:

1. Built by an engineer

2. Big bore

3. The owner did not tell me it was a hard tail bobber on the phone

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there any functional reason ever to have a hardtail or is it purely because that's how some motorcycles were built in 1925 and now we have to deal with *~~~~heritage~~~~*

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My ears ring just looking at that. Are you gonna tell em it needs the rest of the exhaust to run right?

Bonus: Nazi cross on the seat. Like a wheres waldo, it's always somewhere.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Is there any functional reason ever to have a hardtail

Nope!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Only if it's a bicycle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

because that's how some motorcycles were built in 1925 and now we have to deal with *~~~~heritage~~~~*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Only if it's a bicycle.

Hilariously, the prevalence of bicycle derived udon noodle frames in the 20's, and their associated horrifyingly low weave threshold, meant that all the old men convinced themselves 'nothing tracks like a rigid' (thanks Kevin Cameron for that one) when in reality they just had less flex and therefore less terror. The first actually properly built suspension bike basically swept the field in GP racing, and eventually they took over dirt track too, though this took longer because weave isn't really a problem until you get some horsepower, which wasn't a thing back then.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Hilariously, the prevalence of bicycle derived udon noodle frames in the 20's, and their associated horrifyingly low weave threshold, meant that all the old men convinced themselves 'nothing tracks like a rigid' (thanks Kevin Cameron for that one) when in reality they just had less flex and therefore less terror. The first actually properly built suspension bike basically swept the field in GP racing, and eventually they took over dirt track too, though this took longer because weave isn't really a problem until you get some horsepower, which wasn't a thing back then.

I think specifically for choppers it has to do with drag bikes, which is where the chopper look comes from - you save the extra weight of the swingarm and suspension and also the wisdom was that rear suspension would unload, losing you traction, when you changed gears.

(As with a lot of biker lore I have no idea if a) this is actually true, it's just what a bloke in a pub told me and b) if it *is* true I've no idea if the improved rear grip is a real thing or not because there's still a load of bullshit about suspension even today)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I've heard the drag bike thing too, but it seems to me (having never drag-raced a motorcycle) that the rear wheel chatter and hop you'd get from an unsprung rear end would be a net detriment. Even the actual highly modified drag bikes that those dumbshit extended-swingarm bikes are imitating still have rear suspension, and they absolutely would just weld a bar in place of the shock if there were any benefit to doing so.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suspension on a drag bike is absolutely a huge advantage because it lets rearward weight transfer happen, which increases grip drastically. Modern bespoke drag bikes are rigid and use the huge car tyre on the back as the suspension, but nobody dragging a busa or whatever would replace their shock with a solid rod, that would be insane if you think about it.

On top of this, what about the other end of the drag strip? You're doing over 300km/h, you want some kind of suspension to damp out weave oscillation unless your wheelbase is like 4 meters.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Suspension on a drag bike is absolutely a huge advantage because it lets rearward weight transfer happen, which increases grip drastically. Modern bespoke drag bikes are rigid and use the huge car tyre on the back as the suspension, but nobody dragging a busa or whatever would replace their shock with a solid rod, that would be insane if you think about it.

On top of this, what about the other end of the drag strip? You're doing over 300km/h, you want some kind of suspension to damp out weave oscillation unless your wheelbase is like 4 meters.

I'm talking about like 40s and 50s bikes here, where the chopper look comes from. Also I'm willing to bet that there's several Hayabusas on the roads of Florida *right now* with longer-than-4-metre wheelbases.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Even back then it was a tall car tyre on the back, note they had access to relatively wide tyres but opted for something fairly narrow but tall, so the sidewall can load up in lieu of suspension:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipJxgCnyNXU

It's probably where the look comes from? Dirt track bikes were also rigid but they look a bit funnier. And again this wasn't because it's in any way better than suspension, but rather because adequately functional suspension and geometry had not yet been invented.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is that a Honda DN?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is that a Honda DN?

moar liek Honda DNR

(It's a Vultus, which I think is on the same platform)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does the square with a tiny sliver of bald dome count?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It's based on a scooter platform

:thejoke:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

It's based on a scooter platform

:thejoke:

Double-checked and it turns out it's not, the Vultus is just an NC (p-twin and DCT) under all that plastic, the DN-01 was a v-twin with a CVT, but this is even more annoying because Honda made a new, mid-capacity v-twin and wasted it on that alien suppository thing and not the updated RC31 that would be the best bike out of Japan of the 21st century.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Honda making a v-twin for the first time in decades and only putting it in a glorified scooter is the most Honda thing ever

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Honda making a v-twin for the first time in decades and only putting it in a glorified scooter is the most Honda thing ever

Lol fr

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Double-checked and it turns out it's not, the Vultus is just an NC (p-twin and DCT) under all that plastic, the DN-01 was a v-twin with a CVT, but this is even more annoying because Honda made a new, mid-capacity v-twin and wasted it on that alien suppository thing and not the updated RC31 that would be the best bike out of Japan of the 21st century.

Sometimes I think if Honda made a new Hawk it would be the perfect bike but I don't know, I just don't think 2021 Honda is capable of recapturing that lightning in a bottle. They seem to make a bunch of bikes that are at least interesting if not odd, but don't sell well and Honda gives up on them completely after a year or two. I can't imagine they profit much if anything off those bikes but they know the numbers better than I do. The only time I see real effort out of them it results in something like the RC213V-S. It's insanely well built, a piece of art, costs $184,000. Honda used to put that same amount of effort into their entire line.

They still come up with cool concepts, but don't follow through:

If they released the second one it would be a 600lb 1200cc beast and cost $18k. Imagine the same bike with something akin to Yamaha's 700cc ptwin.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That second one *should* be a body kit available for the Minimally Viable Motorcycle that every manufacturer used to turn out (often as the best-selling bike in their lineup), except I don't think anyone does them any more. I understand why all of the manufacturers have moved (or tried to move) their ranges up-market and up-price-range, but I feel like the world is poorer for not having a Bandit-type parts-bin bike that can be used as a blank slate for bolting on gaudy bits of plastic and dubious performance mods (shut up Harley).

Come to think of it, mods generally seem to be nowhere near as common as once they were - like every single bike in the 90s at the very least would have some weird-coloured Pro-Bolt fasteners or a double-bubble screen or some other thing bought out the back of Fast Bikes slapped on it. I assume it's just part of the general death of tinkering caused by bike quality being so much better, because it's not like you can get an extra 5% horsepower out of a Euro5 bike for the price of a cheap can, jet kit, and dyno time (in decreasing order of likelihood to have actually been done no matter how much you boast about it down High Beech) hjjjjjjuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

and I'm going to stop that post there because my cat decided to stage an intervention:

Even he realises I talk way too much about 90s bikes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That second one *should* be a body kit available for the Minimally Viable Motorcycle that every manufacturer used to turn out (often as the best-selling bike in their lineup), except I don't think anyone does them any more. I understand why all of the manufacturers have moved (or tried to move) their ranges up-market and up-price-range, but I feel like the world is poorer for not having a Bandit-type parts-bin bike that can be used as a blank slate for bolting on gaudy bits of plastic and dubious performance mods (shut up Harley).

Come to think of it, mods generally seem to be nowhere near as common as once they were - like every single bike in the 90s at the very least would have some weird-coloured Pro-Bolt fasteners or a double-bubble screen or some other thing bought out the back of Fast Bikes slapped on it. I assume it's just part of the general death of tinkering caused by bike quality being so much better, because it's not like you can get an extra 5% horsepower out of a Euro5 bike for the price of a cheap can, jet kit, and dyno time (in decreasing order of likelihood to have actually been done no matter how much you boast about it down High Beech) hjjjjjjuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

and I'm going to stop that post there because my cat decided to stage an intervention:

Even he realises I talk way too much about 90s bikes.

That second one is a spoe'ee CB1100. Why did Honda greenlight the CB1100 and not this? Because Honda.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Followed a Tesla Model 3 for a while today on a nice twisty road while it took every corner at 25 miles an hour, and crossed over the double yellow line every single loving time. At one point they drove over the yellow as another car was about to pass them the opposite way; that car had to slam on its brakes and dodge for the shoulder. loving unbelievable. After the fourth or fifth time they went over the line I started honking at them and doing the "what the gently caress?" gesture but they didn't seem to even notice.

Oh and they had a baby in a car seat in the back. :thumbsup:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Autopilot or terrible driver? Not much difference

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wow I didn't even consider that it might have been on autopilot, lol.

Something absolutely seemed off about how they were driving -- not just crossing the yellow lines but accelerating and braking in weird spots, taking open lines really slowly and then accelerating into a steepening turn, poo poo like that. I thought it was probably some old geezer who couldn't see over the wheel. But now that you mention that, yeah, it drove like some of the videos I've seen where the car doesn't seem to have any awareness of the road context outside the fifty feet in front of the vehicle. And when it caused the other car to swerve out of its way -- it wasn't a gradual deviation. The car just made an inexplicable weird jerk across the line like someone yanked the wheel. Again I thought they were just incompetent, but I've seen that exact move in autopilot videos too.

Fuuuuuuck. This is the road we were on, for the record; definitely the sort of place you want to use that buggy poo poo software

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.8767206,-122.6011084,3a,75y,151.83h,75.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sRseMrtrcLqMO6jaT-EhnWQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 4, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that for real? Tesla autopilots are known to cross double yellows? How has Tesla not been sued or regulated out of business for such a homicidal software failure? That's like spectacularly bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's difficult to find videos of it happening, because any time a video of a Tesla loving up gets posted the Elon stans will come out in full force, and Tesla themselves have started DMCA'ing (lol) Twitter and Youtube videos that make them look bad. But yes, I have seen dozens of cases of Autopilot crossing the double yellow with various levels of consequence.

The first video here is very similar to the road I was riding today, and honestly on watching this I'm now recognizing the behaviors I saw. It goes over the double yellow a little at the beginning, just looking like sloppy driving, then it takes the turn too fast and pulls in and crosses the DY as it overcompensates. The part at 0:36, just before the crash, was exactly how the car was driving today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMvQphJQiE&t=25s

The second video ("Jeez, Alex!") was the sort of move I am referring to that made the other car swerve today. Just a sudden jink in to the next lane for no apparent reason.

In the third video it just ends up completely on the opposite side of the road and doesn't recognize that anything is wrong.

e: to answer your question, it is because elon musk is one of the richest men in the world and the US government is 100% bought and owned by lobbyists

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 4, 2021