Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

he was right when he said nobody would buy his new game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nyoro posted:

he was right when he said nobody would buy his new game

A Bob Odenkirk endorsement?

Taro Yoko really is going up in the world!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Well, gameplay has never really been his strong suit anyway so I'm down to try it as long as it's not another bullshit gacha game.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Can't wait for cards to beg for mercy or have me think about their children as I'm forced to discard my hand

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

Taro's team includes others veterans of Nier and Drakengard projects, such as executive director Yosuke Saito, music director Keiichi Okabe and character designer Kimihiko Fujisaka.

he's gonna go all in.

S-E execs are probably thinking "gently caress it, he made a blockbuster even he expected to fail, let him do things his way"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Do cards... Have souls???

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Do cards... Have souls???

All I know from the kids WB documentaries on the subject is that they have hearts.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Today's posts in the thread made me realize we need a Yoko Taro-directed Pixar film

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

Today's posts in the thread made me realize we need a Yoko Taro-directed Pixar film

That would be the fastest way to traumatize a new generation of kids.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

a trailer of the card game dropped on the latest nintendo switch direct, and it's also coming to ps4 as early as October

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AonH1tPFuS4

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's a demo on the switch too. It's extremely easy so far but it's aesthetic owns and I think it has lots of promise.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

all your cards will get lost in a sewer drain where they will die at the end

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That's the coolest card based animation/style I've ever seen so. I'm a sucker for card based RPGs so I'm probably gonna jump right into this one unless the reviews are really bad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If it's a Yoko Taro (non-gacha) game, I'm gonna get it even if the reviews are bad.

I downloaded the demo, it feels very Hand of Fate so far.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

If it's a Yoko Taro (non-gacha) game, I'm gonna get it even if the reviews are bad.

I downloaded the demo, it feels very Hand of Fate so far.

Oh that’s encouraging, I loved hand of fate

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It seems really cool. The dialogue, music and aesthetic at least are very Yoko Taro, and I'm glad it's coming so much sooner than I expected.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Before I even knew what it was, the music was so invocative, I was planning to check if they shared some music talent with Neir and then Yoko Taro appears. Can't wait for glitch cards that destroy the very concept of the game. Maybe the hand disappears and the cards start trying to beg for life.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In the demo most of the story seems to be played pretty straight but there's definitely some little glints of weirdness like the narrator playing with the fourth wall and characters contradicting dialogue options you pick.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

In the demo most of the story seems to be played pretty straight but there's definitely some little glints of weirdness like the narrator playing with the fourth wall and characters contradicting dialogue options you pick.

It is just the prologue so there is plenty of time for things to get weird.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It is just the prologue so there is plenty of time for things to get weird.

Yep absolutely. You're not even playing as the actual protagonists in the demo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Also, one of the villagers has the "Welcome to Corneria" bit played as comedy in a way that suggests underlying horror.

(The party dynamics also suggest that the heroine is getting kind of fed up with her party, but she isn't saying anything yet.)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

stev posted:

It seems really cool. The dialogue, music and aesthetic at least are very Yoko Taro, and I'm glad it's coming so much sooner than I expected.

The music for most of the demo was good but sounded like really generic fantasy faire. Then the main theme came on with the vocals at the end and I was like, oh poo poo there it is!!!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Regy Rusty posted:

The stories for the monsters were definitely something.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Taro apparently writes his own Wikipedia articles to include more mistakes

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/1441666260354285573?s=19

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

stev posted:

When I got to the door that you can choose to either push or pull, and it turns out to be a sliding door I knew the magic was there.

Also RIP to the gambling hall kid. Nothing happened to him, but he's a young boy with the misfortune of being in a Yoko Taro game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sit on my Jace posted:

When I got to the door that you can choose to either push or pull, and it turns out to be a sliding door I knew the magic was there.

Also RIP to the gambling hall kid. Nothing happened to him, but he's a young boy with the misfortune of being in a Yoko Taro game.

I mean, not every kid in a Yoko Taro game suffers death or worse. There's the reclusive machine who survives alone in Pascal's village and, um... there's...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Taking bets that the full game will turn out to be part of the Nier universe set a few million years after Automata.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

stev posted:

Taking bets that the full game will turn out to be part of the Nier universe set a few million years after Automata.

Perhaps, assuming Yoko Taro outright lied. He said that this series was not in the Drakengard/Nier continuity, and previously discouraged people from losing their minds trying to piece together some grand metaverse that incorporates SinoAlice in there.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The gameplay in the demo seems really barebones, there wasn't any deck building or draws or anything that made it feel like a card-based game instead of a standard turn-based RPG. The Baten Kaitos style of having the player be a separate character from the party should be interesting if it has that Yoko Taro weirdness involved so hopefully it gets better after the prologue.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Coxswain Balls posted:

The gameplay in the demo seems really barebones, there wasn't any deck building or draws or anything that made it feel like a card-based game instead of a standard turn-based RPG. The Baten Kaitos style of having the player be a separate character from the party should be interesting if it has that Yoko Taro weirdness involved so hopefully it gets better after the prologue.

Yeah I’m still not in love with the genre (I got excited at the hand of fate comparison but the combat isn’t anything like it at all it seems) but I’ll still buy it on the yoko taro/keiiche okabe cred alone

I'll say this though, I simply cannot for the life of me remember the name of this game, i have to google "new yoko taro game" to remind myself every time I want to find something about it

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 26, 2021

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok I've played the demo and I'm pumped for it now, seems like it'll be a lot of fun.

I really enjoy how they went all-in on the audio/tactile sensation of playing with dice and cards; having literal dice rolls on screen is a very satisfying touch, it feels like playing an actual TTRPG in all the right ways.

I was also enjoying the game parlor game until I tried the skills and events rule, then it got too chaotic and frustrating for me; hopefully they don't lock anything too cool behind that, I don't think I'll enjoy playing it.

I'm also curious to see where the plot goes, I don't feel like I got a sense of anything too weird from the demo; if anything it was so aggressively generic and bland that it was kind of on the nose, I can only assume that was a deliberate choice

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There’s some odd stuff in there, like the character card descriptions being pretty plain and then suddenly there’s the old lady who’s card mentions she has to put up with an abusive husband.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The yoko taro experience was always very much a straight forward thing that slowly unravels into absolutely insane results. Its a slow burn.

I except after people buy the actual game the demo is trashed for giving the wrong impression about it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pentyne posted:

The yoko taro experience was always very much a straight forward thing that slowly unravels into absolutely insane results. Its a slow burn.

I except after people buy the actual game the demo is trashed for giving the wrong impression about it.

Oh yeah for sure. It's very much "Act 1 of Nier Replicant" vibes, i am under no illusion that the whole game would be like this, I was just curious to see if the demo was going to give a taste of it or not. I don't mind, I was mostly interested in whether the game would be fun, and it reassured me that it will be

There was some good humor in it though; I liked the point where the game makes you decide who you think the thief is, and if you pick the "it's a scrawny street urchin" option the barbarian says it and the game says "Wynnifred ignores this, and goes on to say,"

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The fisherman is pretty great with how they describe his rock hard pecs twitching in fear. His story card is also funny, so there's definitely gonna be some other weird-rear end characters.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s some odd stuff in there, like the character card descriptions being pretty plain and then suddenly there’s the old lady who’s card mentions she has to put up with an abusive husband.

That's because her story is accessible and nobody else's is. If I remember where I saw that particular detail.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

That's because her story is accessible and nobody else's is. If I remember where I saw that particular detail.

It’s in exactly the same place as everyone else’s as soon as you get the ability to look at the cards, there’s no need to progress anything. It’s the very first thing you read about her if you take the time to flick through all the cards you’ve collected so far when the game first shows you how to do it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s in exactly the same place as everyone else’s as soon as you get the ability to look at the cards, there’s no need to progress anything. It’s the very first thing you read about her if you take the time to flick through all the cards you’ve collected so far when the game first shows you how to do it.

Well then, I guess the others will probably get some more going on too. I know the monsters have some incredible stuff on the front and back too when you progress them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did notice that the very first enemy you face is called an "orc child", I guess that's pretty yoko taro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-oyP2DLfrI

Last entry in the video is from the Nier:R remake