Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh hey Navarre is a ghost now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I talked to someone about this just yesterday, I feel like in addition to the big switch towards comedy in P4/5, I also think that almost every character feels like they were vat-grown for the purpose of you liking them. P3 had a ton of characters that you were not particularly supposed to like, or at least not in nearly the same way the game clearly wants you to like Makoto or Futaba. Makoto does fist of the north star stuff and summons a motorcycle and they name her Queen, and then they...also do that schtick with Haru by making her love doing the combat violence. They were trying REALLY hard with Futaba, too, and Hifumi/Yosuke have similar exaggerated quirks.

It stands as a really stark contrast with the games that don't do this, where the characters are much more normal. And I think that's one of the big differences between 4 and 4A. Pretty much every character in 4 is basically just a normal person and doesn't have any endearing personality quirks (except Isabeau who has the romance novel thing), and most discussions are very matter-of-fact. They have personalities, but they almost never say anything quotable, you know? Meanwhile P4/5 is full of all sorts of screenshot-bait. Same with Strange Journey - almost nobody says anything super memorable, it's mostly people having normal conversations about what to do next.

As with everything, it's about writing and execution.

Walter and Jonathan are unremarkable beyond the fact their character arcs make no sense.

Walter especially irks me because his character is literally:
These Red Pills are disgusting. The horror of Tayama feeding human brain juice pills to demons turns my stomach!
This Chaos World is awesome, I love how demons, instead of being fed brain juice pills, just suck it out through straws.

In contrast, i think Zelenin and Jimenez, who receive far less interaction than we got with Walt and Jon, are extraordinarily believable in how they ended up where they did.

cheetah7071 posted:

I liked the anime dumbasses in 4A

They are real and my friends.

Anyway, my opinions on SMTIV and IVA are pretty well known here. More power to anybody who liked IV, I did not. It had good parts but overall I was dissatisfied. Meanwhile I adore IVA and its characters and music and gameplay and story. It's not perfect but I'm glad I've replayed it a few times now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0lrb89qSY

One of the best world map themes in all JRPGs, and it keeps up this greatness to the very end

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 11, 2021

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Walter I think is at least somewhat believable because he's carrying a lot of baggage from being raised in poverty and treated terribly because of his status in Mikado. So he went from that to discovering that there's an entire massive city under the kingdom that was kept secret from everyone and the people down there have it even worse than he did. I can see how after the whole journey of seeing the poo poo people deal with he'd eventually break down and decide to burn it all to the ground, even with his hangups with Tayama.

It's Jonathan that I find more incomprehensible. While he's definitely Law leaning he shows plenty of times during the game that he's willing to be more moderate with his beliefs when people are suffering. There's no discernible reason he would be told the angels' plans of "let's nuke everything down there, including the people just trying to survive" and just go along with it. I've heard the theory thrown out that maybe he did object pretty harshly to the idea but was brainwashed into being a pawn anyways, which is something angels would totally do.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There are some things in the SMTIV story that don't make any sense to me and I don't know.if they're supposed to be that way or I haven't talked to the right NPC. For example, there's samurai below the crust even though they would have had to go through the two.guardians. And they don't communicate with the people above with their smartphones? And Abbot Hugo casually asks you to get him an air fryer and male erotica VHS tapes, implying this is a regular thing for him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Walter and Johnathan that go off the deep end are not the same ones you spend the game with previously. They're from alternate worlds or whatever after you activate the reactor, which is why they both claim you sided with them previously. It''s stupid and bad but that's why.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Main's in IV are pretty weak. It's strange to compare them to the original Heroes in I. Chaos Hero's first scene in that game is him getting beaten by a gang. You can see why someone like that would desire Power at all costs to prevent something like that from happening again. Law Hero meanwhile goes all out trying to save his girl. With that level of Selflessness you can see how he'd end up a pawn of LAW. Then of course II totally rejects the idea of human representations of the Factions; subverting the players expectations of what the characters and allies are supposed to do at every turn.

IV it seems like they tried to go back to basics with the factions, but without the chops to really make them feel natural as characters. Which stands in stark contrast to the main plot writing which is some of the strongest in the series. Everything with it being a Psuedosequel, the AshuraKai, Blasted and Infernal Tokyo, The Red Pills and the Reverse hills reveal, even just the Mikado/Tokyo reveal plays with the conventions of the series in really fun and interesting ways.

I'll still take that over Finals cast, which just feels needlessly bloated and trying to hard to make me like them. Soul Hackers I feel is the game that hits the perfect balance between the Characters fitting into the story while also being interesting in and of themselves.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Spermando posted:

There are some things in the SMTIV story that don't make any sense to me and I don't know.if they're supposed to be that way or I haven't talked to the right NPC. For example, there's samurai below the crust even though they would have had to go through the two.guardians. And they don't communicate with the people above with their smartphones? And Abbot Hugo casually asks you to get him an air fryer and male erotica VHS tapes, implying this is a regular thing for him.

I don't think a phone signal is getting through the Shell. And there is a level of time dilation between Mikado and Tokyo, It's only talked about in random NPC chats but one hour in Tokyo is like a day in Mikado so while you're adventuring in Tokyo Years are passing for Hugo

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

There is an insane amount of essential world info given to random NPCs in SMT4 and that rules. I hate how most games do the thing where it's like "here's 400 books about the history of this game's world, it's not interesting and doesn't actually impact what you're doing at all but we have to include all this stuff because that's what Tolkein does" and this game was a very cool change of pace

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like seeing the follow ups to some of the stories in SMTIV, like following up what happened with Nozomi. But right now I'm in the fairy forest and slaughtering fairies with Nozomi on my team who is the guardian of these fairies.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I mean fairies fighting each other is pretty traditional.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like seeing the follow ups to some of the stories in SMTIV, like following up what happened with Nozomi. But right now I'm in the fairy forest and slaughtering fairies with Nozomi on my team who is the guardian of these fairies.

Fairies are dicks, especially to each other, hth

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My friend just got through Yoyogi Park in Nocturne HD and at the end Oberon and Titania and all the faeries are all like "woah, Sakahagi put an evil spell on us! We're super sorry we attacked you, you can take this rare item as an apology." Finish the cutscene, four steps later you get in an encounter where Titania is casting Bufudyne trying to merk you. Those loving tricksters!!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah that's completely in line with how fairies are

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did anybody post this preview of SMTV's OST?
https://personacentral.com/shin-megami-tensei-v-soundtrack-preview-clips/

I see "Chaos" as a song title.

Ready to usher in a new world of stronk. Just two more months.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The first track of that was vaguely reminiscent of Mike Oldfield.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
They've switched to doing 2 demon videos a day, so that should be every demon in the game before launch, barring any surprises.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RubberLuffy posted:

They've switched to doing 2 demon videos a day, so that should be every demon in the game before launch, barring any surprises.

Have there been any neat urban legend/modern folklore/semi-modern literature demons in those? I always love seeing the more modern stuff like Chemtrail, Mothman or Patriot, and the 'public domain literature' theme for Persona 5's team was a big part of why I'm so warm to that game.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Cleretic posted:

Have there been any neat urban legend/modern folklore/semi-modern literature demons in those? I always love seeing the more modern stuff like Chemtrail, Mothman or Patriot, and the 'public domain literature' theme for Persona 5's team was a big part of why I'm so warm to that game.

Not sure if either of these quite fit the bill you're looking for but they brought back Bugs which is a sort of more general boogeyman kinda thing and there's the new demon Loup-Garou which is a classic literature style of werewolf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ky3NZutr4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1v1xuYV98E

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I've found myself in this thread after finishing Persona 5 and wow - that doesn't even scratch the surface. Time to read up...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're specifically looking to talk about Persona, there is a dedicated thread for that subseries

Though of course you're welcome to stay here and learn more about the rest!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Persona is the gateway drug to more pain and “one more god rejected” :getin:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spiffster posted:

Persona is the gateway drug to more pain and “one more god rejected” :getin:

Brings a smile to my face every time I see it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New SMT5 demon just dropped: Iduun, the Norse Goddess of Vague Associations With Apples and Youth

Shin Megami Tensei 5 will also be streamed at the Sega-Atlus Tokyo Game Show event, we'll probably see a new trailer first during a Nintendo Direct.

Also there may be some Persona teases dropping here in a bit because this set of 25th Anniversary Merchandise featuring all the protagonists + a mystery card is supposed to be out today or tomorrow

But it also may just end up being a group shot like

(but not this specific image because it wouldn't really fit the card's dimensions well and also they wouldn't use it as the centerpiece image for the 25th Anniversary Merch store while also labeling the card with a ?)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 17, 2021

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
First impressions on Persona 1-
1. WHERE THE HELL AM I?!
2. they killed the butler... he only spoke like three times in the first half hour but still :sigh:
3. SERIOUSLY WHERE THE HELL AM I?!
4. The angle walking at times is so weird to get used to.
5. Still not sure what to think of the combat. Like it’s different and yet familiar if that makes sense? Not terrible but want to play with it some more to get a better feel for it.
6. have no idea if me charming a pixie actually does anything but she has a heart over her head now so yay?
7. Personas music still delivers!

Edit: crap meant for this in the persona thread. Oh well still works here

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 17, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Play your cards right and Yamaoka will be back.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is a new trailer out and it seems like they are using some of the designs from Apocalypse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S086WepGYs

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Horn and sickle dude looks rad. I'm guessing he's supposed to be Amun.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh man Adramalech looks horrifying in 3D.
And yeah they've been using all the 4A designs since the reveal trailer really, there's a lot of returnees that were major characters that are just regular demons now.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

KonvexKonkav posted:

Horn and sickle dude looks rad. I'm guessing he's supposed to be Amun.

I'm pretty sure that's Zeus. Why his two halves are different colors, I don't know.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Think they're talking about the Egyptian looking dude. Cool to see some more Egypt reps. I don't think he's been in since persona 1

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogTujbdZtG8

They're dropping another News segment in a few days to, presumably, give the name of Mr. Green and talk about some gameplay feature. Maybe they'll touch on what the actual alignment system is this time.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Spermando posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Zeus. Why his two halves are different colors, I don't know.

It's his strange journey redux design. There it was to reflect him using both Physical and Electric attacks or something: The black half was physical and the white half was electric.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It's strange that they based his design on a gameplay gimmick rather than the myth.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thought the god half was to represent the popular interpretation of Zeus and the monster half was to represent the reality. Guess I was wrong lol

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

hatty posted:

I thought the god half was to represent the popular interpretation of Zeus and the monster half was to represent the reality. Guess I was wrong lol

Nah, this is pretty much it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Weird. Zeus is an okay guy by Greek god standards and he doesn't have a duality theme to him. Persephone has the same thing going on because it's meant to represent how she spends 6 months in hell and 6 months above ground. Her mum looks like an 8 year old so who cares.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spermando posted:

Weird. Zeus is an okay guy by Greek god standards and he doesn't have a duality theme to him. Persephone has the same thing going on because it's meant to represent how she spends 6 months in hell and 6 months above ground. Her mum looks like an 8 year old so who cares.

Zeus is absolutely not an okay guy by Greek God standards. Like even if you ignore all the rape he basically serves to make everyone's life miserable because he has an ego the size of a titan and thinks he is more clever than he is. Duality is a part of Zeus because he is the magestic heroic king of the gods and also a petty spiteful gently caress who is almost singlehandedly responsible for half the problems in myths. Since he's such a big part of mythology as well there is a lot more you can trace back to either his ego or or dick (or both) than a lot of other gods. He isn't the pettiest god nor the cruelest god but he is the biggest loving dumbass meathead god.

Zeus can be a majestic and loyal king or the most horrifying enemy you have and sometimes both. Ask Prometheus or Pandora.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 25, 2021

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Spermando posted:

Zeus is literally the loving worst.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Spermando posted:

Weird. Zeus is an okay guy by Greek god standards

hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Spermando posted:

Weird. Zeus is an okay guy by Greek god standards

LaughingAthena.gif