Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah Gigabytes are pretty good though I'd guess that would run hot. But most 3080 will so that's hardly a put-down. The Thunderbolt4 port makes that an awesome desktop-replacement. Get it on a cooling pad and it'd do that job pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Top 10 thread today on hacker news

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=28639952

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/FAQ-Modern-Standby/td-p/7514448

Dell's own drat website posted:

Under no circumstances should you leave a [Dell] laptop powered on and in any sleep/hibernate/standby mode when placed in a bag, backpack

gently caress Dell

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I need to get a laptop replacement for my mom, and it's been a while since I was familiar with the market. In the past I favored Thinkpad. Are they still ok? I'm not up to speed on all the Lenovo models anymore- is there anything I should absolutely avoid?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thinkpad is good still

What is she doing with it? Someone here will probably inevitably suggest a Chromebook or HP 360

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
ThinkPads are good, I really like 2-in-1s for personal home computers, in that case the Flex's, Yogas, and the HP ones are really good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lockback posted:

ThinkPads are good, I really like 2-in-1s for personal home computers, in that case the Flex's, Yogas, and the HP ones are really good.

For the"tent" orientation, or are those models light enough to be practically used as tablets? The 2 in 1 Inspiron I used was way too heavy for that.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Are there currently any viable options for building your own laptop? (e.g. not insanely expensive, or too technically difficult) If not how far away is the industry from developing a DIY market for laptops like there is for desktop PCs?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rinkles posted:

For the"tent" orientation, or are those models light enough to be practically used as tablets? The 2 in 1 Inspiron I used was way too heavy for that.

For a laptop you may dock to an external monitor and keyboard, tent or reverse (keyboard folded back opposite on how you would normally do it) is great because you can get the compute part that you aren't using out of the way.

Also, if they are stylus capable, weight is irrelevant for taking notes on a hard surface.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

mA posted:

Are there currently any viable options for building your own laptop? (e.g. not insanely expensive, or too technically difficult) If not how far away is the industry from developing a DIY market for laptops like there is for desktop PCs?

The Framework laptop is basically as close as you'll get at the moment. Screen, chassis, keyboard, and motherboard are fixed, and on purchase you choose which CPU is soldered to the motherboard. RAM, WiFi card, and NVME drive can all be purchased and installed on your own easily. The ports are customizable in that you buy vendor-specific adapters that slot into the chassis itself, with 4 slots available.

There really hasn't been any movement on DIY laptops with installable screen/chassis/mobo/cpu and probably won't be for the foreseeable future due to lack of demand and those parts not being as plug-and-play as in the desktop space. The Framework is promising, and kind of a steal at the price if you can source all the optional components yourself. It's a new product by a new company though (albeit with good transparency), so only time will whether there are deeper problems with its construction beyond the immediately apparent (a little more screen flex and deck flex than some nitpicky tech reviewers would like). Early reviews are pretty effusive though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah. Frame.work on the high end, cyberdeck on the low end

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4862

System 78 might still be in business, which is a remake of Clio. Nobody has mentioned them in months if not years

Basically, no

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

bull3964 posted:

For a laptop you may dock to an external monitor and keyboard, tent or reverse (keyboard folded back opposite on how you would normally do it) is great because you can get the compute part that you aren't using out of the way.

Also, if they are stylus capable, weight is irrelevant for taking notes on a hard surface.

You get to use it as a second screen if you connected with the screen up? Never considered that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rinkles posted:

You get to use it as a second screen if you connected with the screen up? Never considered that.

Or 3rd!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Or fourth. :smuggo:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Yogas and Flex for sure. I haven't used the HP ones much but I think they'd be fine too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

wish you could do the opposite as easily. use your laptop as an extra screen for your desktop.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

wish you could do the opposite as easily. use your laptop as an extra screen for your desktop.

synergy exists and owns a lot

e: https://symless.com/synergy

better than just extending desktop, imo

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Hadlock posted:

Thinkpad is good still

What is she doing with it? Someone here will probably inevitably suggest a Chromebook or HP 360

She's not doing anything too heavy, just email/office using Windows and will connect it to the TV sometimes. I liked getting her Thinkpads in the past because they felt pretty sturdy and will probably do so again unless the build quality has tanked?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

No, they still have some of the best build quality but compared to 4 or 5+ years back the gap is generally smaller.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Hey all, I’m looking for a ‘gaming desktop’ replacement laptop. I don’t really want a 17in monster thing as I would like to be able to take it and play stuff on my couch but would also be great to throw it on a usb c dock to replace my desktop.

My current mobo, CPU, and memory were purchased around when Battlefield 3 came out so they are starting to show their age.

Any brands to watch out for or any good review sites? I’ve been out of the performance PC hardware market for a while. I’d like to keep it at $1500 or less total.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

$500 mail in rebate + $700 discount available for this 3080 Laptop with a 4K AMOLED screen from Gigabyte, bringing it down to $1800: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E168342...A3A&ignorebbr=1

It's apparently a pretty decent laptop. It has Max Q specs and I'm getting mixed messages on whether it has a Mux switch—I think it shipped without one but it was added in an update at some point? Don't quote me on this. Still, $1800 is good for a 3080 laptop of any spec, especially one with a 4K OLED screen.

I take it 4K laptop panels don't do VRR yet?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They do not advertise a refresh rate, which means it's 60Hz. I don't believe it supports VRR. A lot of laptops don't, actually, since Optimus gets in the way of that.

4K is a tough resolution to hit, and the lack of VRR means that the framerate dips you will encounter are going to be more noticeable. On the other hand, it's an OLED. 60Hz on it will be clearer than on any LCD, and HDR should be pretty sweet on it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 26, 2021

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I'm looking at a Ryzen/3060 Laptop (Asus ROG strix G15 g513qm). Anyone hear anything about it? How's Asus's build quality these days? Think it's worth $1500?

Specs:
Ryzen 5900hx
Gtx 3060 - 115/130w
512 GB ssd
16 GB ram
15.6" FHD IPS display

ASUS ROG Strix G15 (2021) Gaming Laptop, 15.6” 144Hz IPS Type FHD Display, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060, AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX, 16GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, RGB Keyboard, Windows 10, G513QM-ES94 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZLH4GZ7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_G347JD5EVRKQ40RJCRMC

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Asus has one of the best build qualities out there. The g15 is great.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I'd like to buy my kid a used windows laptop to replace his aging Latitude E7240. His primary applications include gmail/youtube/badlion(minecraft)/wow/zoom so a decent grapgics card and a decent processor would be nice, but nothing fancy by any stretch.

I currently use a Dell XPS 15 9560 but that's going for about $5-600 on ebay and I'm looking for something in the $300 range.

If it matters, I'm perfectly happy to upgrade ram/hard drive/battery and/or reinstall an OS myself.

Anyone have any suggestions for a laptop that a couple of generations old?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, the OP covers this pretty well

T460 or T470 ought to be fine

Not sure if a T480 is in your budget or not

Just don't get a T4...40? That's the model with the bad mouse pad. Minecraft will run on a toaster

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Those don't really have a decent graphics card though.

You're definitely going to be in the "used" category though. I'd look for something with a 1050ti or a 1060 (though that probably puts you at $400+). At that price point you're probably looking for the best shape. I'd maybe steer for a Gigabyte if you can but an MSI is probably fine. I'd avoid the Acers of that era.

If the GPU isn't a big deal, then yeah the T470 would probably be perfect.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

None of what he listed comes close to needing a dedicated graphics card, unless I missed something. The graphics on a T430 would likely suffice, let alone a T460 which is more than 3x as powerful. Maybe wow has really increased the bar in recent years I'm not sure

In other news USB-C 2.1 is officially formalized

https://wccftech.com/usb-type-c-2-1-spec-is-out-and-it-boasts-significant-improvements/

The main thing here is it offers up to 240w @ 48v which is... A significant increase over the previous max of 100w @ 20v. 48v is probably the global long term DC standard (it's what POTS uses too, well technically 50v, same difference) and your car will probably use 48v in the future, your house will come prewired for 48v etc. An exciting time. Some boats and cars already use 48v but it's been slow to roll out. 48v will become much more common in 3-5 years, I think, as it gets baked into commodity hardware

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

None of what he listed comes close to needing a dedicated graphics card, unless I missed something. The graphics on a T430 would likely suffice, let alone a T460 which is more than 3x as powerful. Maybe wow has really increased the bar in recent years I'm not sure

WOW's minimum is a 630, the T460 is a 520.
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/31372

Minecraft is also scraping the minimum of a t460 and with mods (which is usually what you're using badlion for) you'd outpace it really quickly. I think if thats a thing you want to use the laptop for you'd get a lot more out of a dedicated card.

edit: I guess some of them come in a 940mx? I don't know if those are that common/available though.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I just need a personal laptop to interview prep, compile/run trivial code. Never tried the “2
In 1” factor but the idea of a tablet for YouTube and doom scrolling sounds cool.

I have a Costco membership and would rather grab something from there, But i see mostly “ideapads” from the $500-1000 range there. Wire cutter recommends a yoga 7i (~780ish) but Costco doesn’t have it.

Can the yoga 7i equivalence be matched by Costco laptops or should I just buy it? I’m guessing in 2021 the gap in quality between manufacturers is smaller… right? :)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd way rather do a Yoga 7i over the ideapad. Costco also have the Flex 5 and the Vivobook if those are worth the extra cost to you.

I don't think the ideapad is that bad for the price bracket it's in, I just think there's better picks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lockback posted:

WOW's minimum is a 630, the T460 is a 520.
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/31372

Holy hell

This game came out when I was in highschool, I guess it makes sense that they would have upgraded the graphics. Team Fortress 2 is notable in that they have kept DX8 compatibility for, poo poo, I guess 13 years now. I think Windows 2000 finally fell out of extended support, so they finally dropped dx8 support, but only in the last ~3 years

I'm a little surprised something like wow has such high requirements

I refuse to believe a T460 would be slow at running Minecraft :colbert:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

In other news USB-C 2.1 is officially formalized

https://wccftech.com/usb-type-c-2-1-spec-is-out-and-it-boasts-significant-improvements/

The main thing here is it offers up to 240w @ 48v which is... A significant increase over the previous max of 100w @ 20v. 48v is probably the global long term DC standard (it's what POTS uses too, well technically 50v, same difference) and your car will probably use 48v in the future, your house will come prewired for 48v etc. An exciting time. Some boats and cars already use 48v but it's been slow to roll out. 48v will become much more common in 3-5 years, I think, as it gets baked into commodity hardware

Power over Ethernet is also nominally 48v. It's everywhere, just most people don't know where to look.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Holy hell

This game came out when I was in highschool, I guess it makes sense that they would have upgraded the graphics. Team Fortress 2 is notable in that they have kept DX8 compatibility for, poo poo, I guess 13 years now. I think Windows 2000 finally fell out of extended support, so they finally dropped dx8 support, but only in the last ~3 years

I'm a little surprised something like wow has such high requirements

I refuse to believe a T460 would be slow at running Minecraft :colbert:

It looks WAYY better than it did on release and honestly it's probably one of the best looking games per requirement thats out there. But yeah the requirements have edged up over the years decades.

Minecraft (remember, Java != Bedrock edition) can be run on a 520 but you'll have the draw distance fairly low to get ok FPS, and if you want to do any modding you'll be unplayable really quickly. Minecraft is really more of a gaming platform than a game at this point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah PoE is awesome, I've seen cool PoE powered webcams and other stuff. 48v isn't just a convenient multiplier of 12v (which is a multiple of old 6v car batteries from the 40s)

I think the big reason why we've settled on 48v specifically, is POTS (old school land line phones) runs at 50v DC since the 1800s, so USB-C fits neatly inside existing electrical code, you'll be able to run it in walls without conduit, and everyone supports POTS in their building code because it's absolutely ancient. Also very likely the same reason why PoE supports 48v

Would not surprise me if homes start getting wired with 48v USB-C, and instead of having a USB-A 2.4 amp in wall with the charger right there, your 48v lines would all lead back to a central 5kw USB-C PD 48v hub offering up to 240w per socket. Most LED light bulbs are 10w so you're looking at a new 48v lightbulb format based on USB-C 2.1 wired up to that hub. Could you do it with PoE? Probably, but PoE isn't going to be in every consumer laptop and cell phone in three years

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hadlock posted:

Most LED light bulbs are 10w so you're looking at a new 48v lightbulb format based on USB-C 2.1 wired up to that hub.
I would love for it to become commonplace to have a house-scale DC hub so LED bulbs don't have to each have their own mini transformer in them.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
On my gf's advice, I ended up splurging and opting for the Strix G15 with the 3070. A fair chunk of change more ($2k vs $1500) but I figured I'd go for something that's a substantial upgrade from what I have now (a dying acer predator with an 8750H & 1060)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Lockback posted:

It looks WAYY better than it did on release and honestly it's probably one of the best looking games per requirement thats out there. But yeah the requirements have edged up over the years decades.

Minecraft (remember, Java != Bedrock edition) can be run on a 520 but you'll have the draw distance fairly low to get ok FPS, and if you want to do any modding you'll be unplayable really quickly. Minecraft is really more of a gaming platform than a game at this point.

This is exactly right. The default Minecraft plays on relatively low requirements, but add any mods, textures or resource packs and things head south quickly. My kid’s current laptop barely hits 60fps standing still, but drops into the teens very quickly when running badlion on hypixel.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
could i get a recommendation based on about a £1200 budget?

i'm looking for as a good a graphics card a possible on that, 16gb ram and at least a 512gb SSD - or more, y'know, if i can get it
i don't really know processors that well so i just look for i7, don't know AMD numbers at all

i'm looking for something to game on for the next couple of years as well as do game dev and graphics work on.

this looks good but i've never heard of the brand and it kind of seems too cheap for what it has: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-defender-p10-core-i7-10750h-16gb-1tb-ssd-rtx-3060-17.3-inch-windows-30031912/version.asp

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roomtone posted:

could i get a recommendation based on about a £1200 budget?

i'm looking for as a good a graphics card a possible on that, 16gb ram and at least a 512gb SSD - or more, y'know, if i can get it
i don't really know processors that well so i just look for i7, don't know AMD numbers at all

i'm looking for something to game on for the next couple of years as well as do game dev and graphics work on.

this looks good but i've never heard of the brand and it kind of seems too cheap for what it has: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-defender-p10-core-i7-10750h-16gb-1tb-ssd-rtx-3060-17.3-inch-windows-30031912/version.asp

That looks like an MSI/Gigabyte clone. Probably ok. I'd be concerned about heat management with it for sure, but it can probably be managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Medion is owned by the Lenovo group. Many in Europe will be familiar with it as the brand of the computers sold by Aldi. It's not no-name per se.