Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Crusty Nutsack posted:

you got the history part right, but it was the opposite when I became the only cspam mod. I checked the gently caress out because I was angry that the admins demodded the only other two mods, leaving me to run it alone. I didn't sign up for that; I don't want to be the only arbiter of rules or punishments or anything else. just in sheer size it's impossible for one person to run effectively as a volunteer and also have a life. at the time that happened, my personal life was better than it had been in a long time, so I just told the admins I was mostly checked out because I had better things to do. I kept in touch with the iks (because they rock and deserve mod support), but pretty much stopped doing reports completely at that time lol so I can understand how any actions I took during that period were seen as hostile or parachuting in or something. I only dealt with things that were brought to my attention by users or admins, really.

now that there's more new mods I'm paying more attention and more engaged again, but thunderbeast, drey and vyelkin are the ones still doing the grunt work while I just try and help them navigate the mod forum bs, provide feedback, offer history about poo poo they might not remember or know from the mod side, etc. I am definitely aware that I can step down at any time, but I do care about cspam and hope that I can offer the new mods something useful.

If you were unhappy with being a moderator, why wouldn't you just step down? Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

:gas:

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 65 days!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

If you were unhappy with being a moderator, why wouldn't you just step down? Lol

lmao even when they loving hate it they just cant let go of the buttons

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Marzzle posted:

completely insane witch-hunt poo poo for a sub forum with maybe 800 people on a good day. nazis don’t care about infiltrating cspam and freaking out about it is just a way for obsessives feel validated. check YouTube, reddit etc for real life locations actual nazis congregate!

This is certainly the core of it - there is a certain strain of mainstream political thought that is, however odious, allowed in dnd. I don't blame you for not wanting to be around that. I don't see how those opinions are "protected" and I also don't see hordes of people who literally think concentration camps are good and, in fact, I see people who would reject that characterization quite hard. But the core of it is that yes, people in dnd are allowed to express the beliefs of mainstream democrats, and support policies that even the ~most progressive~ us house representative supports. I think it sucks poo poo that that is the state of our country, but that's not up to either of us. I recognize that many people, such as yourself, find that poo poo horrendous and don't want to be around it at all and I think that is a good reason to post in this forum instead, which is explicitly leftist and has no such tolerance of democrat horseshit.

I will be straight and say that I like this thread a lot when it is about democrats in the large. I keep it bookmarked and the views expressed here match my own views more than any other thread on the forums. But the way you treat the other people on this site, whose only crime is being wrong in the liberal way that a hundred million americans are wrong, is poo poo. It's toxic to any sort of growth and it doesn't advance the cause at all - all it does is gently caress up this pretty cool web community we have going here, where, unlike almost anywhere else, people actually manage to exit that 99.9%. You have to quit loving it up. As an insane person, the success of this site is more important to me than the success of america, and if this thread cannot stop screaming at hapless liberals that they love rape and genocide until they leave forever in fear of losing their jobs, it has to go away.

You still don't get to have a thread here for talking about people in dnd. It's not happening. You wanna laugh at liberals on resetera or twitter or whatever else? Go wild, but doing it to other people on this same site is toxic as hell and this thread cannot be that. The mod team is stronger now than it was in December, I believe the structural problems have been fixed, and that is what is important.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

this one is funny

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Being a moderator is an unpaid position and you're ultimately not really obliged to anyone other than maybe the admins. I know if I was doing something that was consistently making unhappy, depressed, or angry I would stop doing that thing.

Is there a stigma against stepping down as a mod? Twoday seemed to have done it for the better.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 00:19 on Sep 25, 2021

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Being a moderator is an unpaid position and you're ultimately not really obliged to anything other than maybe the admins. I know if I was doing something that was consistently making unhappy, depressed, or angry I would stop doing that thing.

Is there a stigma against stepping down as a mod? Twoday seemed to have done it for the better.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Crusty Nutsack posted:

you got the history part right, but it was the opposite when I became the only cspam mod. I checked the gently caress out because I was angry that the admins demodded the only other two mods, leaving me to run it alone. I didn't sign up for that; I don't want to be the only arbiter of rules or punishments or anything else. just in sheer size it's impossible for one person to run effectively as a volunteer and also have a life. at the time that happened, my personal life was better than it had been in a long time, so I just told the admins I was mostly checked out because I had better things to do. I kept in touch with the iks (because they rock and deserve mod support), but pretty much stopped doing reports completely at that time lol so I can understand how any actions I took during that period were seen as hostile or parachuting in or something. I only dealt with things that were brought to my attention by users or admins, really.

now that there's more new mods I'm paying more attention and more engaged again, but thunderbeast, drey and vyelkin are the ones still doing the grunt work while I just try and help them navigate the mod forum bs, provide feedback, offer history about poo poo they might not remember or know from the mod side, etc. I am definitely aware that I can step down at any time, but I do care about cspam and hope that I can offer the new mods something useful.

free larry

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Marzzle posted:

it's the dumbest possible thing to moderate on and there's infinite ways to circumvent the spirit of the rule while sticking to the letter. "buncha microencephalatics itt smdh" etc etc. people will want to call eachother dumb no matter what. banning one word to do it with does nothing to protect a marginalized group and only serves as another way for mods to wield power as they pursue personal grudges and back up their posting pals when their feelings are hurt. if it was actually a big deal mods wouldn't wait a week to find a mention of the forbidden word and then probe

how would allowing a particular ableist slur improve this situation though? wouldn't the correct response be to also probe the guys circumventing the rule to find other words to express ableism

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Crusty Nutsack posted:

i care about cspam, that's why i can never give up my buttons even though i do a bad job lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

seems the obvious thing to do imo

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Dustcat posted:

how would allowing a particular ableist slur improve this situation though? wouldn't the correct response be to also probe the guys circumventing the rule to find other words to express ableism

trying to stop the ableist slurs only seems to happen when a poster steps on someone’s toes. it happens enough that it’s clearly not about “protecting” anyone and is merely a justification to rough up posters along ideological or personal grudge lines. moderators have lost any moral justification for the ban because of their corruption.

ending the ban would be a gesture towards posters to demonstrate genuine moderation reform. this would rebuild trust within a community which has already suffered under years of bullshit moderation for the pettiest of reasons

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lol

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
It appears a grand compromise is in order.

DnD has the best posters but the worst mods.
Cspam has the worst posters but the best mods.

The foundation of compromise is that everyone loses, thusly we must do the following:
1) Cspam is closed permanently
2) All DnD mods are demoted
3) All Cspam mods are made mods of DnD
4) The current rule structure in DnD will prevail, but specific threads will be allowed to operate in “cspam assimilation” mode where members of the cspam community can learn to be productive members of the greater SA forums.

Ultimately this will result in a more harmonious posting experience for all.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Kim Bong Chill posted:

The foundation of compromise is that everyone loses, thusly we must do the following:
4) The current rule structure in DnD will prevail, but specific threads will be allowed to operate in “cspam assimilation” mode where members of the cspam community can learn to be productive members of the greater SA forums.

go away bitch

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
leaving one mod alone was a terrible decision. having 0 mods, especially at the time, would have been a disaster.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

has larry been freed yet?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Larry post itt

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kim Bong Chill posted:

:hmmyes:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Marzzle posted:

trying to stop the ableist slurs only seems to happen when a poster steps on someone’s toes. it happens enough that it’s clearly not about “protecting” anyone and is merely a justification to rough up posters along ideological or personal grudge lines. moderators have lost any moral justification for the ban because of their corruption.

ending the ban would be a gesture towards posters to demonstrate genuine moderation reform. this would rebuild trust within a community which has already suffered under years of bullshit moderation for the pettiest of reasons

i don't understand how allowing ableist slurs would make this forum better or why anybody would want to gesture that people posting ableist slurs are welcome

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Dustcat posted:

i don't understand how allowing ableist slurs would make this forum better or why anybody would want to gesture that people posting ableist slurs are welcome

I agree it would just act as a magnet to nazis/fyad (I repeat myself) and soon enough we'd have a nazi infeststion

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marzzle posted:

banning it is even dumber than saying it :shrug:

I don't even feel compelled to use it, it's just an even dumber thing to try and moderate than the act of saying it

this is such a dumb argument, like, why wouldn't this apply to literally any other word that's banned? i just don't get how you can type this and think it makes sense.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pamela Springstein posted:

leaving one mod alone was a terrible decision. having 0 mods, especially at the time, would have been a disaster.

Who knows what the 10 iks we had would have done in that absence.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Stop bullying marzle

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

paul_soccer12 posted:

nazis/fyad (I repeat myself)

lmao

Kim Bong Chill
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

paul_soccer12 posted:

I agree it would just act as a magnet to nazis/fyad (I repeat myself) and soon enough we'd have a nazi infeststion

Thankfully we have nazi hunters working full time trying to expose all the secret nazis in our midst

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

that experiment is loving bullshit and zimbardo is a creep who will probably die before something comes out publicly.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kim Bong Chill posted:

this account was created shortly after How Are U caught a 6er. interesting

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Kim Bong Chill posted:

This is where I'm at. At the end of the day, there are always going to be people seeking power on this website. It's a fact of any organization. The *blame* here ought to be directed primarily at me, and lowtax. I failed to prevent these events from occurring, even in my position of power, and made things worse in my haste to correct them. Lowtax, the absolute final decision maker at the time, did not see fit to learn or understand the truth, and he is the only one who could override me. I want to actually heal, and fix the rifts in the community that lead to these things, and that means taking responsibility myself. If I am to be the boss of these forums, I am responsible for what goes on, and I will see to it that this sort of thing never happens again - both the alluded to bigotry/creep problem, and the angry mobs seeking to burn things down. The mod team is stronger now than it was in December, I believe the structural problems have been fixed, and that is what is important.

bane mask golem
Sep 16, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Also this is not my thread but I wanted to respond to this because like, I agree with you that this feels like this and.......any such attempt with fail horribly. No amount of edgy jokes or boundaries pushing will ever make any other forum "like FYAD" and for a politics forum, it won't even get close. Being funny about politics is, imo, the right goal, but the way to get there is not by emulating fyad - your own identity will serve you well.

I think it's time that we talk about it, for sure OP. I really like fyad humor also even if I wasn't allowed to post there. It's sad that there isn't anywhere on the forum for that style of humor. Can I bounce the question back to fyad regulars? What would be required to make a forum "feel" like fyad, without the worst of the ironic bigotry that gets vice media to publish bald lies about it?

To me, the big obvious core things that make it fyad are:
- Silly stylesheet where the avatars say the posts
- Heavily curated for quality and, uhh, culture fit. Needs a fyad regular in charge.
- NWS allowed

The changes would have to be:
- Ironic bigotry gone. Fyad mod would have to be willing to see to this.
- Don't mine the threads for sharing personal experiences for goonlulz, even when they're funny

What do other people think?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

bane mask golem posted:

This is where I'm at. At the end of the day, there are always going to be people seeking power on this website. It's a fact of any organization. The *blame* here ought to be directed primarily at me, and lowtax. I failed to prevent these events from occurring, even in my position of power, and made things worse in my haste to correct them. Lowtax, the absolute final decision maker at the time, did not see fit to learn or understand the truth, and he is the only one who could override me. I want to actually heal, and fix the rifts in the community that lead to these things, and that means taking responsibility myself. If I am to be the boss of these forums, I am responsible for what goes on, and I will see to it that this sort of thing never happens again - both the alluded to bigotry/creep problem, and the angry mobs seeking to burn things down. The mod team is stronger now than it was in December, I believe the structural problems have been fixed, and that is what is important.

IIRC the structural problem was a load-bearing slur in the site's coding

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

bane mask golem posted:

I think it's time that we talk about it, for sure OP. I really like fyad humor also even if I wasn't allowed to post there. It's sad that there isn't anywhere on the forum for that style of humor. Can I bounce the question back to fyad regulars? What would be required to make a forum "feel" like fyad, without the worst of the ironic bigotry that gets vice media to publish bald lies about it?

- Heavily curated for quality and, uhh, culture fit. Needs a fyad regular in charge.
- NWS allowed

- Don't mine the threads for sharing personal experiences for goonlulz, even when they're funny

personally, i https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rdrkG9nzXw

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Pamela Springstein posted:

lmao

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

bane mask golem posted:

- NWS allowed

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Being a moderator is an unpaid position and you're ultimately not really obliged to anyone other than maybe the admins. I know if I was doing something that was consistently making unhappy, depressed, or angry I would stop doing that thing.

I think there is probably something to "I have something to contribute to this community and will stick it out even though I'm not having a good time right now." That's admirable.

But when that community is telling you "no you really don't, please leave" then you can't really claim that anymore unless you believe you're doing what's best for that community in spite of that community i.e. you are treating people like children. It's not a good look.

I don't have an opinion on Crusty Nutsack either way and I'm not one of the ones calling for her to resign. But enough people are calling for it in the feedback thread that IMO she should probably consider it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

fwiw I linked SoTB to my proposal for mod turnaround in DM but haven't heard anything back