Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Yannick_B posted:

Davies COULD bring back Tennant for a miniseries or something special, it would be extremely popular, which is something you want, especially relaunching a show.

BUT I don't think he'd pass up launching a new version of the Doctor with a new actor.

I don't necessarily disagree, but you have to imagine the BBC is practically salivating at the thought of RTD bringing Tennant back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

With RTD2 back in charger, gotta wonder what the episode count is going to be like.

And maybe Christmas episodes!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And thanks to Moffat introducing "The Curator", RTD has a ready-made excuse to just hire Tennant again for the Doctor's next regeneration; just revisiting the favorite old faces again. *sigh*

Have writers write stories tailored to specfic incarnations of the Doctor, but then the actor playing them isn't who you expect

Capaldi as Eleven, Jodie as Ten, Tennant as Thirteen, Smith as Nine, McGann as Twelve

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
If this'd been a year and a half ago I'd have been stoked but now all I can think of is that convention clip of sex pest Noel Clarke gleefully thwapping his microphone about mimicking the way Barrowman would flop his dick around at work so gently caress RTD

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

If this'd been a year and a half ago I'd have been stoked but now all I can think of is that convention clip of sex pest Noel Clarke gleefully thwapping his microphone about mimicking the way Barrowman would flop his dick around at work so gently caress RTD

I have the sinking feeling that at some point, we're going to see RTD try to rehabilitate his pal Barrowman's image.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Moffat's comment:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Utterly surreal news. I've wanted RTD to come back to write an episode (or episodes) for quite awhile, him actually RUNNING the show again is the last thing I expected.

The highs were incredible, the lows were.... oof.... but one thing I will say is that the guy had a real talent for making me adore a story in the moment before it really started to sink in that it made absolutely no sense and the plot was full of holes you could steer a stolen planet through. It's certainly news that has me very intrigued for a new season at least, and yeah... c'mon Jodie, stick around a little longer please!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wait so he's coming back, as the showrunner? So...for the next Doctor? :aaaaa:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

volts5000 posted:

I always felt that RTD's stories were really lacking, but holy poo poo, he could knock it out of the park when it came to character interactions and character dynamics. That's why the best of RTD's tenure were the Moffat episodes. Moffat could write some drat good stories when he was properly restrained. RTD's character direction and Moffat's stories gave us "The Empty Child", "Blink", and "The Girl in the Fireplace".

I'm excited to see a return to RTD directing. I just hopes he gets a good stable of writers.

A JMS episode of who under RTD's direction would be pretty dope.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have the sinking feeling that at some point, we're going to see RTD try to rehabilitate his pal Barrowman's image.

I suspect that RTD would recognize that that ship has sailed, but even so, it speaks very poorly of his hiring decisions.

I'm really mixed on this news. There's the whole air of desperation about it, which doesn't bode well, like they had RTD sitting behind a panel in case a future showrunner drove the show into the ground. And yet, this is RTD coming off of It's a Sin, one of the best pieces of television ever made. It's entirely plausible he might have something new to say after more than a decade. But... Barrowman. Clarke. A production so toxic it drove off Eccleston. None of these are good signs.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bring back Jamie Mathieson to write more episodes!

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Escobarbarian posted:

:bisonyes::five::yeshaha:

this show might not actually be loving trash

I can’t even imagine that

It’s been loving trash for so long

What great news

I haven't been in a Doctor Who thread since sometime during Peter Capaldi's final season and lost interest in the show partially through Jodie Whittaker's first season thinking I had outgrown or changed and Doctor Who wasn't for me. Loved her take on the Doctor, the show just felt "off"

I'm guessing it wasn't me

Sidenote: Is it worth watching through the last season?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What feels weird is that RTD’s run will start with a 69th anniversary special?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

I haven't been in a Doctor Who thread since sometime during Peter Capaldi's final season and lost interest in the show partially through Jodie Whittaker's first season thinking I had outgrown or changed and Doctor Who wasn't for me. Loved her take on the Doctor, the show just felt "off"

There are some high notes, a lot of kinda bland stuff, and an utterly baffling decision made in the last episode of the season (which largely gets ignored in the follow-up New Year's Special) but it's always worth checking things out for yourself to decide, and at least you can watch it all in comparatively short time. I don't think there's any truly BAD episodes in the last season, just some that are kind of there, and an overall feeling of missed opportunity that permeates a lot of it. My least favorite was probably Orphan 55, but some people quite liked that one, so as always it's a subjective thing.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

There are some high notes, a lot of kinda bland stuff, and an utterly baffling decision made in the last episode of the season (which largely gets ignored in the follow-up New Year's Special) but it's always worth checking things out for yourself to decide, and at least you can watch it all in comparatively short time. I don't think there's any truly BAD episodes in the last season, just some that are kind of there, and an overall feeling of missed opportunity that permeates a lot of it. My least favorite was probably Orphan 55, but some people quite liked that one, so as always it's a subjective thing.

the bad decision at the end aside, it has no episodes as bad as "amazon is great actually suck it" episode from the season prior. That one was the worst episode of the entire NEW WHO run as far as I'm concerned. Nothing comes close.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

LionArcher posted:

the bad decision at the end aside, it has no episodes as bad as "amazon is great actually suck it" episode from the season prior. That one was the worst episode of the entire NEW WHO run as far as I'm concerned. Nothing comes close.

Kerblam is the last episode I saw so that checks out

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

What feels weird is that RTD’s run will start with a 69th anniversary special?

Nice.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
https://twitter.com/boydhilton/status/1441511674863931394

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Seriously. The loving AI just straight up murders a completely innocent person and the Doctor treats it like a sympathetic move that proves it has good moral character :psyduck:

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
RTD wrote some complete and utter bollocks for plots, but the plots were never really the point. The characters were. His run was the only one that really dealt with the emotions and conflicts that happen when a wacky space man suddenly drops from the sky onto a council estate or a suburb.

I actually preferred Moffat's run on the whole, but he just dodged the impact of people running away with The Doctor entirely by making everyone orphans. Which in fairness, he was very overtly trying to make the show a fairytale, and the orphan who escapes to go on magical adventures is an archytype going back centuries specifically because it neatly dodges the 'but what about the parents!?' bit. But by the time we got to Bill and he was 3 for 3 for dead parents it was just getting a bit weird, like they were the Doctor's type or something. I think a lot of people bounced off the show because what they liked in the first place was it was Eastenders-but-spaaaccceee, and no-one since RTD has made that show.

RTD was writing a fantasy soap opera. Moffat was writing a fairytale. I still have no idea what the gently caress Chibnall's Who is supposed to be. I don't get the impression that he really knows, either.

Pastamania fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 24, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 60th Anniversary is going to be a loving mad free-for-all and everybody is gonna have a great time then wake up the next day slightly hungover and go,"Wait... what? Hang on.... did that make sense? Ahhh gently caress it we all had a great time!" :allears:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff. Doctor Who works the same way.

gently caress it. Why not. Let's have all the same arguments all over again oh wait we already do

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Looks like Blowjob Tile is back on the menu boys!

RTD back. That's loving wild. Holy poo poo.

jisforjosh posted:

Chibnall hosed with the mythos too much; particularly ruining the 1-13 incarnations not being the 'original set'. I've felt legitimately bad for Whittaker being saddled with 2 seasons of never-ending Very Special Episodes, and The Fam never landed for me.

I'm A-OK with social issues being presented, but every single episode basically has 13 staring directly down the barrel of the camera going "This tragedy should never have happened"
It was loving dire.

How the hell did they go from Broadchurch to this.
I was so hype to see her in the role, and to have it be pretty much instantly squandered.

jisforjosh posted:

Only if you want to be pissed off about how much they hosed with Doctor Who.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

The 60th Anniversary is going to be a loving mad free-for-all and everybody is gonna have a great time then wake up the next day slightly hungover and go,"Wait... what? Hang on.... did that make sense? Ahhh gently caress it we all had a great time!" :allears:

Russel T Davies opens his vault. The 60th anniversary of Doctor Who will require something special. Something he's been holding onto for just the right moment. Now it is time and he reaches in to pull out the script for Voyage of the Damned II.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Interested what the vibe of the 60th will be. The 50th hit around the peak of Who's international popularity, and with Smith about to move on acted as a celebration of his and Tennants eras on the show, and also served to wrap up a bunch of threads.

The 60th this time around might well be the first time we meet the new doctor.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

RTD always tried to one-up himself for each finale.
- Oh no this satellite is going to die
- Oh no the world is ending
- Oh no ALL worlds are ending
- Oh no the universe is ending
- Oh no time is ending

But give me that campy-rear end poo poo any day of the week over what we've gotten recently.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Time to push the envelope even further, lads. We've had farting aliens, now what about... making GBS threads aliens. Just big gaping xenobiotic buttholes filling up the screen and spewing the most vile substances all the time. Now in HD.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

give me that campy-rear end poo poo any day of the week over what we've gotten recently.

:hfive:

We're likely gonna get both the best and worst of RTD, and the range between those two things is incredibly wide, but it's never going to be bland or unremarkable.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I hope RTD hires a permanent editor or a person who goes...Let's think about this for a second.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

:hfive:

We're likely gonna get both the best and worst of RTD, and the range between those two things is incredibly wide, but it's never going to be bland or unremarkable.

When RTDs writing is on point it's incredible.

Waters of Mars is probably in my top 3 all time episodes for this scene alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZScGEeNPTsQ

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still can't believe the dreadful Planet of the Dead was followed up by something as loving incredible as Waters of Mars. That really was RTD in a nutshell, the best of times and the blurst of times.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Time to push the envelope even further, lads. We've had farting aliens, now what about... making GBS threads aliens. Just big gaping xenobiotic buttholes filling up the screen and spewing the most vile substances all the time. Now in HD.

So there's going to be an episode that's a live-reading of Doctor Who twitter threads?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

So there's going to be an episode that's a live-reading of Doctor Who twitter threads?

The 2nd Doctor already tried to warn people about twitter decades ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwVG3XuOU5g

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Remember when 13 was introduced as a mad scientist engineer inventor and we never saw that again after her first story

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had such incredibly high hopes after The Woman Who Fell to Earth. It's a genuinely great episode and a really good "introduction" episode for new fans, but yeah they don't really play off on any of the initially introduced ideas.... which is crazy because Chibnall is the guy who wrote them in the first place!

It Takes You Away is a fantastic episode too, and a sign of the type of quality the show could have reached. Praxeus and Can You Hear Me? last season had the potential to play with that kind of weirdness and just didn't pull it off, sadly.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rochallor posted:

I suspect that RTD would recognize that that ship has sailed, but even so, it speaks very poorly of his hiring decisions.

I'm really mixed on this news. There's the whole air of desperation about it, which doesn't bode well, like they had RTD sitting behind a panel in case a future showrunner drove the show into the ground. And yet, this is RTD coming off of It's a Sin, one of the best pieces of television ever made. It's entirely plausible he might have something new to say after more than a decade. But... Barrowman. Clarke. A production so toxic it drove off Eccleston. None of these are good signs.

My thinking is that either the BBC are desperate to turn DW back into a ratings hit, so they are hoping RTD's particular style of lightning will strike twice; or else everyone they approached to run the show turned them down so they had no choice but to make RTD an offer he couldn't refuse. Neither of these things are what I'd consider to be a good sign.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Remember when 13 was introduced as a mad scientist engineer inventor and we never saw that again after her first story

She had such a great intro! Steampunky maker welder engineer from a female Doctor?! It felt super progressive :swoon:

Other than her intro, I think about the only other episode of 13s I can stand is Resolution - Which pretty much just feels like an updated version of Dalek from 9s run.

Maybe if they tone the social justice pandering we can get some decent eps out of the final season.
The pessimist in me can't help but worry about how much more Chibnall is going to gently caress with the legacy.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Still can't believe the dreadful Planet of the Dead was followed up by something as loving incredible as Waters of Mars. That really was RTD in a nutshell, the best of times and the blurst of times.
True. I can't wait. :allears:

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Vinylshadow posted:

Infinitum posted:

Maybe if they tone the social justice pandering

gently caress it's too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes, hence pandering rather than actually writing great progressive stories on those topics.