Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Tombot posted:

I've seen gameplay footage before and Tharsis looks miserable, everything is literally just a dice roll and none of your descisions really matter because it's all down to luck.

The game is not about finding solutions to logical problems like Into the breach. It's about gambling on the option most likely to allow you to achieve your mission, and the necessity of cannibalism to space exploration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Drunk in Space posted:

Tharsis is kind of cool, and has some nice touches (like how the dice get bloody after you cannibalize someone), but yes, if you're someone who hates RNG in games, then this is your kryptonite. A lot of playthroughs are doomed right from the get-go no matter what you do, and you will often find yourself in a situation where you've seemingly done everything right and the dice have actually gone your way for once when one single event completely fucks you and that's that. It is soul-crushing in the extreme. Of course, fans of the game would probably argue that's the point of the experience, but in my case, after my 10th 'oh sorry your dice got lost to the void again gently caress you' I just wanted to complete the loving thing, dev's 'vision' be damned. Fortunately there is an easy mode (which was patched in later apparently because of the deluge of complaints about difficulty), which will give you a reasonable shot of experiencing the whole story.

If you want to try it, my advice is to play it on normal or hard a few times to get that miserable failure experience of 'What if those Mars One chucklefucks actually did try sending a spaceship to Mars after all?' and then switch over to easy mode so you can actually complete it and then probably never touch it again.

This is how I feel about Sheltered. All fun and games until the game decides to take a poo poo on you for some reason.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I went through Tharsis on normal, i lost on the tutorial, got one person onto the planet on the second attempt, got all of them there on the third (i didn't realise you needed them all in flight control to win.)

I assume its a by the numbers timeloop story? Not quite sure what the point was.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I will probably just play it on easy, like the shameless faker I am

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Even on easy you can get turns where you have 3* events each of which reduces health/hull if not complete and each of which has 18-26 die roll total to beat. It's an unforgiving slog that is poorly balanced and entirely based on rng and artificial difficulty that can't be reasonably tempered by skillful play at all.

The central gimmick of making sacrifices in order to get the least worst outcome has been done in other games and can be genuinely compelling and very well executed, but it's poorly done here.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Couple of decentish? retro indies free for the next 15 hours on itch:

Super Win the Game [Steam page]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6i1kYMmkPk

Gunmetal Arcadia Zero (handcrafted narrative prequel to Gunmetal Arcadia) [Steam page]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2EFLXtGx8c

Gunmetal Arcadia (procedurally generated roguelite) [Steam page]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foIi-3sD6Ag

Eponymous [Steam page]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlBb6IL2Gqo

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 20, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Also, Leisure Suit Larry - Magna Cum Laude and Marvin the Hatter on IndieGala.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Super Win The Game is really fun, it's kind of like Zelda 2 but with a focus on exploring and discovering secrets above fighting enemies, levelling up and dying a lot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Escapists is free on Epic, again. Europa Universalis 4 next week.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Xander77 posted:

Excited for EU 4. Always wanted to get into that series.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Xander77 posted:

This game appears to be unplayable for a lot of people inc. me.

Tried a lot of weird fixes so far and no joy.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Duderclese posted:

Excited for EU 4. Always wanted to get into that series.

It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made.

But I say it as someone who owns all the gameplay DLCs. A lot of DLCs are about adding regional flavor and mechanics as you'd expect, but there's also a lot of quality of life UI features there, it's bizzare. Like you have to pay for ability to see a list of nations who would like to ally you, in vanilla you have to click each nation individually and check. Some other payed features are kinda like design fixes, e.g. the game heavily depends on random stats of rulers but with a payed feature you can affect their stats (give +2 to one stat and -1 to other two) which is extremely helpful button you could buy.

Maybe when they release on EGS they'll have some sort of affordable bundle.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

ilitarist posted:

It is one of the greatest strategy games ever made.

But I say it as someone who owns all the gameplay DLCs. A lot of DLCs are about adding regional flavor and mechanics as you'd expect, but there's also a lot of quality of life UI features there, it's bizzare. Like you have to pay for ability to see a list of nations who would like to ally you, in vanilla you have to click each nation individually and check. Some other payed features are kinda like design fixes, e.g. the game heavily depends on random stats of rulers but with a payed feature you can affect their stats (give +2 to one stat and -1 to other two) which is extremely helpful button you could buy.

Maybe when they release on EGS they'll have some sort of affordable bundle.

I noticed this too, and of course Epic will just be the vanilla base game. I'm immediatley disdainful of games with massive DLC lists because it's blatant money spinning. I wanted to try Skylines, but when I saw the ridiculous DLC roster I lost interest.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

JustJeff88 posted:

I noticed this too, and of course Epic will just be the vanilla base game. I'm immediatley disdainful of games with massive DLC lists because it's blatant money spinning. I wanted to try Skylines, but when I saw the ridiculous DLC roster I lost interest.

Skyline is a great game, even without DLC. The DLC just introduces new aspects to keep the player base engaged. Like creating parks or sport arena's or specific industry zones etc

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

JustJeff88 posted:

With most of EGS games it's fine, they don't usually give out shells for DLCs. But here the base game was often enough sold for spare change and DLCs never go lower than 50% sale. Crusader Kings 2 (released 1 year before EU4) is now free to play and you only pay for DLCs, and I'd argue its DLC policy is not as predatory. And other Paradox games like Stellaris or Imperator are fine if you only own the base version. EU4 DLCs came out with patches that remove some base game mechanics or apply debuffs to specific playstyles in a free patch, while replacement mechanics and improvements to nerfed playstyles come in expansions. Sometimes it's silly, like there's Devastation mechanic in a free patch, making so that your provinces suffer economically from being a warzone. And in a payed DLC you get a Prosperity mechanic that is basically an inversion: it simulates improved economy from being at peace.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260130/Banana_Hell/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/46500/Syberia/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/46510/Syberia_II/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Wowee I have Syberia 1 + 2 on like 5 different platforms now. They're trying real hard to get me to buy Syberia 3 but it isn't gonna happen.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i think it might be more about promoting the upcoming prequel, the world before

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

treat posted:

Wowee I have Syberia 1 + 2 on like 5 different platforms now. They're trying real hard to get me to buy Syberia 3 but it isn't gonna happen.

that's like ten syberias you have. they should give you 3 for free (I mean three more copies of Syberia 1 + 2)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's not listed on the front of the store page but 2064 Read Only Memories is free (to claim/keep) on EGS for the next 24 hours-ish.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's not listed on the front of the store page but 2064 Read Only Memories is free (to claim/keep) on EGS for the next 24 hours-ish.
Game is a good time and also short

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Note that if you got the big Itch Racial Justice bundle last year, this was included in that so you may already have it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

treat posted:

Good call. I enjoyed the first 2 so bought the third but man it was dire.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I did not expect a sequel to Siberia 1 & 2 to be optimized for gamepads and unplayable on keyboard and mouse.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
New Amazon Twitch Prime Gaming things aren't up yet, but they've been announced so I'll just dump them here now:

Star Wars: Squadrons (Presumably an Origin key)
Alien: Isolation
Ghostrunner
Song of Horror Complete Edition
Red Wings: Aces of the Sky
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures
Blue Fire
Tiny Robots Recharged
Whiskey & Zombies: The Great Southern Zombie Escape
Secret Files 3

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

The Kins posted:

New Amazon Twitch Prime Gaming things aren't up yet, but they've been announced so I'll just dump them here now:

Star Wars: Squadrons (Presumably an Origin key)
Alien: Isolation
Ghostrunner
Song of Horror Complete Edition
Red Wings: Aces of the Sky
Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures
Blue Fire
Tiny Robots Recharged
Whiskey & Zombies: The Great Southern Zombie Escape
Secret Files 3

It’s nice to see Amazon offering some “real” games these days. Thanks for the heads up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Europa Universalis 4 up on Epic. PC building simulator next week (probably the biggest "why the gently caress am I even going to get this free game" in a while for me)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If you like building your own PC or the idea of doing support for people without any of the actual hard work or idiocy it's a great game.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Xander77 posted:

Europa Universalis 4 up on Epic. PC building simulator next week (probably the biggest "why the gently caress am I even going to get this free game" in a while for me)

:siren: There are 3 free DLCs :siren:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If you like building your own PC or the idea of doing support for people without any of the actual hard work or idiocy it's a great game.
The very notion of building anything with my hands frightens and confuses me. If I ever try to slot any PC components without a qualified professional at hand, my computer will probably catch fire.

Which is why this is the perfect game for me etc etc. Sure.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
man, who the gently caress wants to buy a game with 30 dlcs on a store with no cart

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'd say play the base game on epic and then if you like it wishlist it on steam for when they'll have a sale that includes most DLC for like 20 bucks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

karoshi posted:

:siren: There are 3 free DLCs :siren:

I only see two, one is more songs and one is a handful of new military units for Evangelical nations.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Skwirl posted:

I only see two, one is more songs and one is a handful of new military units for Evangelical nations.

There's also one with extra catholic freedom fighters.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

site posted:

man, who the gently caress wants to buy a game

:hmmyes:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

karoshi posted:

There's also one with extra catholic freedom fighters.

For some reason this one was unavailable to me until a few minutes after I nailed documents to the church door grabbed the main game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

karoshi posted:

Re: Free Games: DLC with extra catholic freedom fighters.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hollandia posted:

For some reason this one was unavailable to me until a few minutes after I nailed documents to the church door grabbed the main game.

it worked for me just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it worked for me just fine

Lmao