Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The tragedy of macs becoming more ubiquitous is that now other companies think they should adopt their strategy of just telling you what you want and making you live with it. Customization doesn't make money, and we're weirdos for wanting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
See the Windows 11 build in the release preview channel or whatever that one's called, is that essentially the RTM build with additional patches, or is there likely to another build issued as RTM?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hoping for the renaissance of alternative shells. litestep, come to butthead.....

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
:same:

Open-Shell still works, if you don't mind having 2 start buttons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Except that the other start button will remain there to taunt you as a totem to the stupidity of this whole thing, like an unsightly wart on your nose.

What happens when you press winkey? Which one opens?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Something that isn't being talked about enough is software updates. I'm so tired of opening up programs like qbittorrent or da vinci resolve to find theres an update (like a fuckin 2gb one in the case of the latter). I know its not that easy when it comes to win32 apps but god drat it they ought have a baked in way by now for devs to get their updates taken care of with windows update or whatever.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Something that isn't being talked about enough is software updates. I'm so tired of opening up programs like qbittorrent or da vinci resolve to find theres an update (like a fuckin 2gb one in the case of the latter). I know its not that easy when it comes to win32 apps but god drat it they ought have a baked in way by now for devs to get their updates taken care of with windows update or whatever.

Dude, that's some monkey paw poo poo right there.

You are invoking some really terrible poo poo by asking the operating system to handle the updates for software.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Dude, that's some monkey paw poo poo right there.

You are invoking some really terrible poo poo by asking the operating system to handle the updates for software.

I mean, most Linux distros manage.

Though I think we're way too far past the point of "apt but for windows" being doable and not lovely.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

Except that the other start button will remain there to taunt you as a totem to the stupidity of this whole thing, like an unsightly wart on your nose.

What happens when you press winkey? Which one opens?

openshell opens

shift and winkey opens the metro trash

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

They've been working on a Windows package manager for a while, and it has been usable for a while, too. I haven't tried it, but it is a thing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/package-manager/

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Chocolatey is probably the closest you’ll get to a good third party windows package manager but it falls apart the first time you have to install something that isn’t listed (90% of non-free software) or that has a broken package in their repo.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

DerekSmartymans posted:

Awesome! I’m 100% not coming at this as anything but a random hobby, but I still have some VB6 “teach yourself VB6 in 6 toilet breaks a day” books that helped me look stuff up before the vast sections of the online tutorials/videos were available, and FREE to access! I downloaded UE4 & 5 overnight after a couple of videos on YouTube just looked fuggin’ great on my computer, especially the few that some dude recreated World of Warcraft in UE5. I saw those graphics for 15 years, and the upgrade from the retail background to the “remastered” version was incredibly lifelike. All the add-alongs like blender and others are available, and if you have lots of time alone building a short movie or (very) simple 1p game looks like fun.

I saw a guy create a server and an MMORPG in 8 hours using Unity with 0 coding. It was using all-free software, too, and the “gameplay” was gorgeous even on YouTube. Maybe those thousands of pages I wrote over the last 35 years could be a game or animated movie short. Or a fun screenshot green screen :allears:

Edit: How long/what size is the Win11 install? I want to try it on my older (i5, GTX 970) system that qualifies instead of my bought-in -April main (don’t want to risk my games/software including programs downloaded in 2014 on to futz a drive or corrupt a hardware driver until it’s a reliable version). I ain’t as worried about my old machine. Yes, they are backed up offline, but the time to install 800 Gb of 500 to 700 small programs individually is maddening even though I at least won’t have to re-download them.

You'll need something like a third party app called "VB6ScrollWheelFix7" to scroll in the VB 6 IDE. I have it somewhere if you can't find it on Google, let me know. Installing Visual Studio from the year VB 6 came out will make you install MICROSOFT JAVA IIRC also, which you will want to uninstall immediately upon completing the VB6 install. I also remember using compatibility mode and recommended settings for the installer. ALSO, you probably want to make sure and install VB 6 SP 6 which has a lot of bug fixes.

I really wish MS didn't kill off VB. A lot of crappy software was made with it, but the same could be said of many languages. It's a really good tool for throwing together something to fill a niche need or for prototyping. At least they still support the runtime.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

openshell opens

shift and winkey opens the metro trash

thank christ. I half expected 2 start menus to open, just to rub it in

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

codo27 posted:

Microsoft Store.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

nielsm posted:

Microsoft Store.

Desktop apps though I mean. Or did they add capability for desktop apps to it? I feel like they may have. But even that doesn't do updates worth a gently caress on the store apps as it is, you have to manually open it and do them.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Patchmypc, despite looking like trash, does a really good job of updating desktop apps.

It's no replacement for a proper package manager though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

You'll need something like a third party app called "VB6ScrollWheelFix7" to scroll in the VB 6 IDE. I have it somewhere if you can't find it on Google, let me know. Installing Visual Studio from the year VB 6 came out will make you install MICROSOFT JAVA IIRC also, which you will want to uninstall immediately upon completing the VB6 install. I also remember using compatibility mode and recommended settings for the installer. ALSO, you probably want to make sure and install VB 6 SP 6 which has a lot of bug fixes.

I really wish MS didn't kill off VB. A lot of crappy software was made with it, but the same could be said of many languages. It's a really good tool for throwing together something to fill a niche need or for prototyping. At least they still support the runtime.

I saved this in a *.txt file and sent it to my computer because it will be much easier to install knowing the tag-alongs without all the Google searches. Thanks!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

codo27 posted:

Desktop apps though I mean. Or did they add capability for desktop apps to it? I feel like they may have. But even that doesn't do updates worth a gently caress on the store apps as it is, you have to manually open it and do them.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/06/24/building-a-new-open-microsoft-store-on-windows-11/

You can fit anything in Microsoft store now, which given their lassez faire attitude in the past might mean lots of malware from the store.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Windows 10 is pretty great and 8 wasn't as bad as it got credit for, but the store has been the major failure of it all. Just trash all around.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

nielsm posted:

Microsoft Store.

Wait a second, lemme check my event log real quick...

quote:

Deployment Register operation with target volume C: on Package Microsoft.WindowsMaps_2021.2012.10.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe from: (AppxBundleManifest.xml) failed with error 0x80073CF9. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help diagnosing app deployment issues.

AppX Deployment operation failed for package Microsoft.WindowsMaps_2021.2012.10.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe with error 0x80073CF9. The specific error text for this failure is: Windows cannot install package Microsoft.WindowsMaps_2021.2012.10.0_neutral_~_8wekyb3d8bbwe because the package is currently paused. The package must be Staged in order to proceed.

Unable to determine packages to be installed during logon with error: 0x800401F0.

the MS Store can't even keep their own apps up to date, lol

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Klyith posted:

Wait a second, lemme check my event log real quick...

the MS Store can't even keep their own apps up to date, lol

Yeah, my Windows 10 desktop attempted to update a handful of Microsoft things through the store (e.g. the H*** codecs) for at least a half hour last night and nothing happened. Tried a few troubleshooting steps but nothing fixed it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rolled back to 10 and it's nice having working system tray icons and not needing to go through two menus when you right click on something again

would be nice if 11s Settings panel got backported though. never been a fan of 10s version

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

site posted:

rolled back to 10 and it's nice having working system tray icons and not needing to go through two menus when you right click on something again

would be nice if 11s Settings panel got backported though. never been a fan of 10s version

I'm sure they'll fix it in the 2 weeks-or-so left until release

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm sure they'll fix it in the 2 weeks-or-so left until release

I'd expect it 2-6 months post release.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

See the Windows 11 build in the release preview channel or whatever that one's called, is that essentially the RTM build with additional patches, or is there likely to another build issued as RTM?

Anyone?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

That's the channel for builds that could be RTM, but will likely(hopefully) have additional bugfixes before release. I don't think there have been any W11 releases in that channel yet. The announcements on their blog still only mention Dev and Beta channels.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

That's the channel for builds that could be RTM, but will likely(hopefully) have additional bugfixes before release. I don't think there have been any W11 releases in that channel yet. The announcements on their blog still only mention Dev and Beta channels.

Oh I'm sure it'll get patches etc., I'm just wondering if I can install Windows 11 now and when it's officially released I don't need to do a reinstall with another ISO or whatever.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh I'm sure it'll get patches etc., I'm just wondering if I can install Windows 11 now and when it's officially released I don't need to do a reinstall with another ISO or whatever.

Yes. If your system is on a Beta or Release Preview build when the final is released you can unenroll from Insider Preview and update to the RTM. https://insider.windows.com/en-us/leave-program

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Of course right after I posted yesterday that there were no builds in the Release Preview channel: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/09/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-194/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

Of course right after I posted yesterday that there were no builds in the Release Preview channel: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/09/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-194/

Cheers, already flattened and installed it on my desktop. It keeps disabling different animations for some reason, a setting I think is synched from Windows 10 which always did it as well.

I disabled settings sync - where can I delete any presence of it from the cloud?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Any word on when Android apps are going to be enabled?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Let me know when they unfuck the taskbar.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Let me know when they unfuck the taskbar.

Welcome to Windows 12

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I want them to do a Windows Classic, where it's basically Windows 95 but with a modern back-end. I am sad I cannot make Windows 10 look like it anymore. There is a charm to the crude appearance and big fat blocky icons and such.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Well, drat. My Ryzen 1700 doesn't meet the requirements for the pre-release. Weak.

Edit: Both windows update and the health-check tool report the same thing, though the TPM thing is only yellow, the CPU is red. And I don't have a pressing need to update my hardware until GPUs get back to not-insane pricing, so I guess I'll stick to 10 for now.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 24, 2021

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The health check app says I can fully run Windows 11 (which makes sense because my computer is really good) but when I try to install off a USB stick it says it's not compatible, any thoughts...?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Was just checking and my PC seems to pass, except for TPM.
Have looked through the bios but couldnt find any options to enable it.
I assume my prebuilt took a few shortcuts to save a few dollars.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

OgNar posted:

Was just checking and my PC seems to pass, except for TPM.
Have looked through the bios but couldnt find any options to enable it.
I assume my prebuilt took a few shortcuts to save a few dollars.

Make sure you update to the latest BIOS, as well. My gigabyte board was on a 2017 release and the TPM menus were different after the 2020 update.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Hungry Computer posted:

I’ve been trying to download the beta channel iso from the link in the blog post for the past 2 days and keep getting an error. Is it working for anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I want them to do a Windows Classic, where it's basically Windows 95 but with a modern back-end. I am sad I cannot make Windows 10 look like it anymore. There is a charm to the crude appearance and big fat blocky icons and such.

You can change the icons back to old Windows 98 ones, right?