Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Stickman posted:

That's baloney (and they aren't epidemiologists, or vaccinologists)
You made me doubt so I went to check the main guy's credentials and he actually has a wiki entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_O._Griffin

The other guests guests are usually in a similar sphere, viruses, infectious diseases, immunologists, seems good enough for me. Also they're really quick to point out when they don't know or don't have the data, which is a good sign imo

Galewolf posted:

I mean, yeah, my brain actually replaced the fact that vaccines are not for preventing infections which was like primary school knowledge due to media laser focusing on prevention percents.

Same thing happened to me buddy :buddy:

nobody is immune to propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Galewolf posted:

What I can't understand is, if their schedule is fixed (probably is) why not like have same day PCR tests everyday?

How can you get on live TV show with the VP without providing a PCR test result at the very least on the morning?

I can understand regular people, yeah I paid Day 2 test and it was false negative (or I wasn't infected by then) but I can't pay for another PCR so good luck everyone but a TV show surely can afford at least same day rapids before putting them on air?
Rapids are extremely likely to give false negatives in people without symptoms.

It could easily be something like you get tested with both rapid and PCR when you get to the studio. Rapid is negative, you can go on, PCR results come back a few hours later and whoops

Of course I don't know if they're testing every day, either. My friends working backstage at other shows are tested weekly.

naem
May 29, 2011

the answer to “how does a tv studio not protect the vice president by basic and adequate testing of its employees aren’t they rich and smart” is “no the rich are morons” and “the world is a poo poo show trust no one”

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
What I meant by rapid is RAPID PCR, I should've been more clear.

You can 360noscope a 3 hour result test for couple of hundies. I paid same day (midnight result) test for £150, tested at 7.30 a.m. and by 11 a.m. I got my result.

The idea of someone showing up to a live TV like "welp the results will come later, you go ahead" is still :psyduck: to me. Guess we'll learn more soon.

Edit: Maybe they did test earlier but the second one came late idk.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

That being said, my flight back to London got DENIED liftoff for an hour due to American domestic travelers not booking Day 2 tests or even bothering to fill out passenger locator forms so I guess I'm being naive.

I don't think rich people are smart or above loving up like this, but there are professionals trying to prevent things like this.

Idk, poo poo's hosed up and I'm in a weird posting vortex and can't stop babbling.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Fedora Guy survived! He's out of ICU but the covid hosed him up pretty bad

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1440922387382419457

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Galewolf posted:

While I do understand the point, I'm not sure "well, actually, vaccines are NOT designed to prevent illness it's just a bonus but the real take home is it prevents you from dying :eng101:" should be a sentence circulating around while "if vaccines protect against infections, what are you afraid of, check-mate libs :smuggo:" is one of the main copy paste "arguments"

Even if that sentence wasn't circulating around they'd just rationalize their stance with something else.

At today's CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices hearing they pointed out that a poll of currently unvaccinated people shows that about 1/3 of respondents said they would be less likely to get jabbed if the base number of doses was increased to 3 by making boosters standard:
https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1441096262787366912

......... but there's always been a solid 1/3 of unvaxxed people who weren't interested in getting the jab anyway, and the boosters are massively popular among people who are already vaxxed so it'd be dumb as hell to give those unvaxxed people's opinions any weight in the booster decision

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

At the beginning of lockdown last year I didn’t know how long this would last, how bad it would get, or the ultimate ability of anyone in power to stop or control the disaster. But one thing I absolutely could not have imagined, even knowing the incredible incompetence and stupidity of the American leadership and population at large, is how unbelievably loving dumb the whole situation would become.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Wow, I’ve become educated on this board. All this time, I thought Fedora Guy was Notch from Mojang/Minecraft

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

fat bossy gerbil posted:

At the beginning of lockdown last year I didn’t know how long this would last, how bad it would get, or the ultimate ability of anyone in power to stop or control the disaster. But one thing I absolutely could not have imagined, even knowing the incredible incompetence and stupidity of the American leadership and population at large, is how unbelievably loving dumb the whole situation would become.

I'm still having flashbacks to the BoJo announcement that UK, against every single expert screaming on top their lungs to not do it, is going with the herd immunity instead of lockdowns/mandates.Wild.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Even if that sentence wasn't circulating around they'd just rationalize their stance with something else.

At today's CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices hearing they pointed out that a poll of currently unvaccinated people shows that about 1/3 of respondents said they would be less likely to get jabbed if the base number of doses was increased to 3 by making boosters standard:
https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1441096262787366912

......... but there's always been a solid 1/3 of unvaxxed people who weren't interested in getting the jab anyway, and the boosters are massively popular among people who are already vaxxed so it'd be dumb as hell to give those unvaxxed people's opinions any weight in the booster decision

Those same people are also the same people who said:
It's not real
It's just the flu
Masks don't work
Masks harm you
Vaccines harm you
Vaccines don't work

So, yeah, gently caress their opinion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

M’ningitis

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Mne nravitsya posted:

Wow, I’ve become educated on this board. All this time, I thought Fedora Guy was Notch from Mojang/Minecraft

Notch is merely a fedora guy, not the fedora guy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

"Covid is endemic now so we just have to learn to live with it"

200 posts behind but I'll never understand the logic behind this type of thinking. Like, learning to live with it would be wearing masks, social distancing, and getting vaccinated. All the time. :shrug:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

You made me doubt so I went to check the main guy's credentials and he actually has a wiki entry:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_O._Griffin

The other guests guests are usually in a similar sphere, viruses, infectious diseases, immunologists, seems good enough for me. Also they're really quick to point out when they don't know or don't have the data, which is a good sign imo

I listen to them on a relatively regular basis and they are smart folks who know their fields. It's just unfortunately not epidemiology or vaccinology and that means they sometimes get hung up on details and pet theories in those fields. For example Vincent continuing to double down on twisting new covariate theories to try to explain why Delta isn't actually more transmissible. Dr. Griffin is also unfortunately prone to misinterpreting epidemiological research to fit his clinical hypotheses, and has significantly less research experience than the others.

This is a minor example, but last week a study released that showed a large proportion of hospitalizations did not have low oxygen levels and may be admissions for other issues that happened to test positive at or after admission. Because the proportion was higher for vaccinated admissions, Dr. Griffin interpreted this as the study providing good evidence that vaccinated hospitalizations were less severe and had better outcomes. I don't doubt that it is probably true and that he has likely observed better outcomes as a physician, but the study could not distinguish between admissions for COVID based on factors other that low oxygen (such as trouble breathing or risk-factors for progression) and incidental admissions for other problems that tested positive. We would expect a larger proportion of vaccinated hospitalizations to be the latter simply because vaccinated people are hospitalized for COVID at a lower rate than unvaxxed, but still require other hospital services at similar rates. Because the paper didn't look at outcomes for particular types of admissions, it doesn't really provide any solid evidence on vaxxed vs unvaxxed hospitalizations.

TWiV a good show and interpreting studies in terms of larger pet theories is something that every scientist does, but just be aware of their limitations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/24/asia/turkmenistan-covid-free-nations-intl-hnk-dst/index.html

quote:

(CNN)In the nearly two years since the pandemic began, Turkmenistan has not seen a single case of Covid-19.

Or at least, that's what the central Asian country's secretive, authoritarian government claims.
Turkmenistan, a former Soviet republic home to nearly 6 million people, is one of at least five countries that have not reported any coronavirus cases, according to a review of data collected by Johns Hopkins University and the World Health Organization. Three of those are isolated islands in the Pacific and the fourth is North Korea, a tightly-controlled hermit state.

quote:

But independent organizations and journalists and activists outside Turkmenistan say there's evidence the country is battling a third wave which is overwhelming hospitals and killing dozens of people -- and warn the President is playing down the threat of the deadly virus in a bid to maintain his public image.

Just imagine if Desantis became presidente

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
The only things I know about Turkmenistan I learned from John Oliver.

https://youtu.be/-9QYu8LtH2E

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
3rd wave is pretty good forthem, like arent we in 4 or 5.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mne nravitsya posted:

:same:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mne nravitsya posted:

Has anyone seen Notch in awhile? He could very well look like that.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Zil posted:

Has anyone seen Notch in awhile? He could very well look like that.

He has his own vault like Scrooge McDuck, except replace all the gold with Microsoft Minecoins.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Some more Melbourne chud arrests from my local beach today for your schadenfreude pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le2OpNUzuPg

Just doesn't hit the same with the chuds/virus winning now though. :(

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

200 posts behind but I'll never understand the logic behind this type of thinking. Like, learning to live with it would be wearing masks, social distancing, and getting vaccinated. All the time. :shrug:

Well yeah, the "live with it" crowd generally mean we'll keep building up resistances to it either by catching it or getting boosters. But if this is what happens, we're in for a terrible time as we'll be finding more any more long term side effects. Even getting your hair dyed is risky once you've had covid: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/health-58651244

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

QuarkJets posted:

lol what is this both sides bullshit doing here

FYI the main comment from the FDA review was "your data shows that boosters are important for Olds but there is not enough data either way for other adults", so that's what the science literally says. Among leftists I haven't seen anything even approaching a denial of that data, but rather an acknowledgement that the data is inadequate, a literally true statement.

Lol no, the data is complete and it shows that there is no support for the idea that you should require a booster shot unless you are in specific categories.

They didn't say there was "no data either way" they said there was no data to support booster shots for the general population.

As for the "both sides bullshit" my point was that there are people ITT that have demonstrated they are cool with ignoring the science when it disagrees with their desire to get a booster shot which makes them hypocrites, that has nothing to do with the both sides poo poo you're referring to which tries to claim both sides are equally bad.

putin is a cunt fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 25, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Healthcare workers do not have different physiology than you and I.

A recommendation that they get boosters is tacitly an admission that we could all benefit from them.

If the vaccines were grievously injuring significant numbers of people, then the tradeoff might only make sense for people with heightened risk to coronavirus disease, but they’re not.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

A recommendation that they get boosters is tacitly an admission that we could all benefit from them.

If the vaccines were grievously injuring significant numbers of people, then the tradeoff might only make sense for people with heightened risk to coronavirus disease, but they’re not.

No, but healthcare workers have a much, much higher risk of contracting covid than you or I, which completely changes the risk/benefit calculation.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
governments only care about keeping hospitals from being overloaded, their recommendations are made with a different calculus than one might have as an individual, or CEO, or parent, who might have different things they can control or metrics for success

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fat bossy gerbil posted:

https://twitter.com/margieIamuse/status/1438576450802700288

E: also TP rationing is back
https://twitter.com/AmesTribNews/status/1441521114295975937

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 25, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, but healthcare workers have a much, much higher risk of contracting covid than you or I, which completely changes the risk/benefit calculation.

The CDC published their list of who is considered to be a "high risk" frontline worker in terms of booster eligibility and it's pretty wide reaching:

quote:

People aged 18–64 years at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting may get a booster shot of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine based on their individual benefits and risks. Adults aged 18–64 years who work or reside in certain settings (e.g., health care, schools, correctional facilities, homeless shelters) may be at increased risk of being exposed to COVID-19, which could be spreading where they work or reside. Since that risk can vary across settings and based on how much COVID-19 is spreading in a community, people aged 18–64 years who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting may get a booster shot after considering their individual risks and benefits. This recommendation may change in the future as more data become available.

Occupations at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission include front line essential workers and health care workers as previously detailed by the CDC*

- First responders (healthcare workers, firefighters, police, congregate care staff)
- Education staff (teachers, support staff, daycare workers)
- Food and agriculture workers
- Manufacturing workers
- Corrections workers
- U.S. Postal Service workers
- Public transit workers
- Grocery store workers

*List could be updated in the future
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

3rd wave is pretty good forthem, like arent we in 4 or 5.

Pretty sure this is still the first wave in america

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Platystemon posted:

"couldn't hurt" and "could all benefit" are the same words, as seen in this post, but are not scientifically drawn the same way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If an 18 year old at a grocery store needs a booster I certainly need one in an office sharing an air supply with the public for 10 hours a day.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Fallom posted:

If an 18 year old at a grocery store needs a booster I certainly need one in an office sharing an air supply with the public for 10 hours a day.

Go get one. Nobody will question you, and (assuming USA) you won't be taking one from someone else who needs it.

I don't work with the public, but my wife works in childcare, so we're both going to get boosters when we're six months out from our second shot.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Lol no, the data is complete and it shows that there is no support for the idea that you should require a booster shot unless you are in specific categories.

They didn't say there was "no data either way" they said there was no data to support booster shots for the general population.

As for the "both sides bullshit" my point was that there are people ITT that have demonstrated they are cool with ignoring the science when it disagrees with their desire to get a booster shot which makes them hypocrites, that has nothing to do with the both sides poo poo you're referring to which tries to claim both sides are equally bad.

Novo posted:

governments only care about keeping hospitals from being overloaded, their recommendations are made with a different calculus than one might have as an individual, or CEO, or parent, who might have different things they can control or metrics for success

The CDC advisory panel held a long hearing on the boosters (which is all online of anyone wants to go watch it) before voting to approve boosters for 65+ and 18-64 with underlying conditions but voted against a recommendation for boosting people 18-64 with occupational or institutional risk of exposure:

...... but CDC director Walensky decided to open up boosters for a wide variety of frontline staff anyway and the advisory panel are pretty salty about it:

https://twitter.com/emilyakopp/status/1441438749121028103

On the one hand they're decrying the politicians overriding The Science but in the next breath they tacitly admit that withholding boosters from the general public would lead to "staffing shortages of teachers and health care workers"

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I guess it all comes down to what the purview of the panel is, and if it's meant to cover larger societal impacts (like staff shortages), or where you draw the line or whatever. Also whether the panel or the director are supposed to be thinking about availability for the rest of the world.

Lets be honest, this is like the least dramatic overruling of an advisory panel ever. It's not even in the same universe as something like the approval of that scam Alzheimer's drug.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

Go get one. Nobody will question you, and (assuming USA) you won't be taking one from someone else who needs it.

I don't work with the public, but my wife works in childcare, so we're both going to get boosters when we're six months out from our second shot.

I hope that's the case. Early in the pandemic when it was just super olds and healthcare workers, my state wanted a signed statement on company letterhead from the practice my wife worked at.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

Yeah I'm mainly just waiting for more general approval for Moderna boosters and I don't want to do anything weird or misleading to get one lest it cause an issue with my records for work. I have zero problem explaining that I'm at risk for contracting the virus due to working in public since, well, I'm not a work-from-homer and that means I work in the public.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Fallom posted:

Yeah I'm mainly just waiting for more general approval for Moderna boosters and I don't want to do anything weird or misleading to get one lest it cause an issue with my records for work. I have zero problem explaining that I'm at risk for contracting the virus due to working in public since, well, I'm not a work-from-homer and that means I work in the public.

That's where I'm at, my lady works in childcare, I work in a factory and even though my shift is like 5 people, I crossover with both other shifts that actually have staff, staff who have children and etc.

She's gonna get a booster around December I believe, that's our 8 month point, but I have to wait for them to ok SPIKEVAX stuff because I would like to remain above-board. Hopefully it's done before December.

naem
May 29, 2011

the fact that delta is ramping up as bad or worse than original recipe covid did, due to so many unvaccinated people taking zero steps for safety, says to me that boosters will eventually be given a full green light as things get bad this winter

I strongly suspect there are some ulterior motives in not saying yes to boosters immediately, similar to the attempt to stop a run on masks to let healthcare get some first by telling the public they don’t need them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I can't imagine what their motivation could be though. They're loving swimming in vaccine doses they can't even give away to dumbass chuds, so it's not a lack of supply. And we know they're not going to donate any or at least most of it to other countries.