Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure. My gut says that getting at minimum 3x 3/3s on your Epiphany turn(s) (something like six if you're copying it, right? Two from the casts, four from the Epiphany) is pure win-more, but that does basically just close any game out instantly. I'll probably do a fun or two of even if it's strictly worse than what I took out to fit them in. I think long term even if it does lose me a game here or there the equity from not having PTSD flashbacks of winning Nexus games by swinging with a 1/1 army token over and over will work out.

seem kinda win more to me, and turns on your opponent's otherwise dead removal spells. the thing I love most about creatureless control decks is that my opponent starts the game on at least one mulligan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

fadam posted:

I want to try that UR turns deck with a Poppet guy in it.

Poppet is really fun card design.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

seem kinda win more to me, and turns on your opponent's otherwise dead removal spells. the thing I love most about creatureless control decks is that my opponent starts the game on at least one mulligan

That's true.

mikeraskol posted:

Poppet is really fun card design.

Ya, every single entry into the Yung Pyromancy style of card design has been really fun and cool imo

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 24, 2021

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's a dude that lets you pay U and sacrifice to counter unless they pay 3 which can be recurred onto the battlefield as a flying 2/2 that makes all your non creature spells uncounterable so expect a ton of that for the next two years.

Kinda funny no one seems to care about that but they go crazy over Allosaurus Shepherd.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Poppet is cool

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Eej posted:

There's a dude that lets you pay U and sacrifice to counter unless they pay 3 which can be recurred onto the battlefield as a flying 2/2 that makes all your non creature spells uncounterable so expect a ton of that for the next two years.

Kinda funny no one seems to care about that but they go crazy over Allosaurus Shepherd.

Elf

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love that movie

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

with built in overrun as well.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Chaining epiphany makes me feel dirty, but I can't stop myself.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Wotc needs to just stop printing extra turn spells because they're the most unfun poo poo in the game

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Silhouette posted:

Wotc needs to just stop printing extra turn spells because they're the most unfun poo poo in the game

*constantly cranking the dial that says "Time Walk CMC" and looking back at my players for approval*

Also anyone have thoughts on this list? I've basically been playing "cards I opened" F2P right now, but I want to spend my wildcards to build something and this looks cool

Golgari Midrange

Edit: Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcKLnlWTpc

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Been playing against this deck for months. It's just alternating Lolth and Blood on the Snow. I think it is lame as hell. I wish there was a different black deck in the meta but alas.

This particular one has some green cards in there. Wrenn is better than Skeleton Swarming probably.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

If anything needs to go it's Epiphany. Can WotC please stop printing Time Walks, especially time walks that are win cons on their own?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I like Alrund’s Epiphany when I play it but I hate it when my opponent plays it

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
ive been playing a mono g chariot/w7 deck for a few days and while its strong i dont think any of it is bannable. the chariot needs to stick around a whole turn, and if they nuke it you spent your 3rd or 4th turn making two bears which usually isn't great. w7 is cool though, good design that plays stronger than it reads

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PlasticAutomaton posted:

If anything needs to go it's Epiphany. Can WotC please stop printing Time Walks, especially time walks that are win cons on their own?
epiphany is a good card, it asks you "can your deck win before turn 11" and if the answer is no, you lose.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Longtusk Stalker makes me really goddamn mad because it's such a good card for Arahbo but it can't go in Arahbo because it's digital and Arahbo is not digital.

Anyway Kaheera, the Orphanguard was good because each creature card in your starting deck is a Cat, Elemental, Nightmare, Dinosaur, or Beast card if you have no creature cards.

And Cauldron Familiar was also banned from standard, not quite Lurrus getting a power level ban from Vintage, but still an intense cat.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

There is literally nothing in (non-edh) magic I understand less than people's addiction to this style of deck.

Its the funnest deck archetype, seems pretty simple to me

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ShaneB posted:

There is literally nothing in (non-edh) magic I understand less than people's addiction to this style of deck.

All I want in life is to cantrip through my entire deck, any deck that lets me do that and win a game is pretty good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I want to win with Oracle but not a combo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I really enjoy it when I get Delina in along with three Barbarian Classes and roll fuckloads of dice and make like seven copies of her (or perhaps swarming goblins or whatever else is lying around) and go wide with a ton of +2s and Menace on an opponent sitting there at 20 life who has been smugly countering and removing my piddly goblins all game and ignoring my barbarian class enchantments and drawing tons of cards and building a big mana base.

It's only happening about once every four or five matches, at gold in best-of-one standard play, but that's enough for me. It's great.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What do people feel about the soulbond mechanic from Avacyn Restored? Think only the double strike one saw some constructed play, it's hard to think of it outside a bad format. Just seems like it's a mechanic previously seen on Innisrad that could work with the wedding theme of Crimson Vow. Maybe a different implementation beyond both bonded cards getting a keyword for the most part.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

What do people feel about the soulbond mechanic from Avacyn Restored? Think only the double strike one saw some constructed play, it's hard to think of it outside a bad format. Just seems like it's a mechanic previously seen on Innisrad that could work with the wedding theme of Crimson Vow. Maybe a different implementation beyond both bonded cards getting a keyword for the most part.

The card draw, flicker, haste, and double strike ones saw play, I thought.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

Wolfir Silverheart saw play too.
Deadeye I know is/was a staple of EDH.

It fits the marriage theme, but only if you believe in monogamy, and in innistrad sexy vampires have harems.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Played against three Trickery decks in a row today and each one of them failed to find something relevant before I curbstomped them with the shaman chaingun. Especially loved watching one dude mill Ugin and Sultaimatum to hit KBtSG when he's at 1and staring at multiple rage forgers and countered-up shaman.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AlternateNu posted:

The card draw, flicker, haste, and double strike ones saw play, I thought.

in standard back in the day the double striker was the main one in GW human/aggro. One of my first standard decks. The draw guy after being downshifted in a modern masters was in pauper a little.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

HootTheOwl posted:

Wolfir Silverheart saw play too.
Deadeye I know is/was a staple of EDH.

It fits the marriage theme, but only if you believe in monogamy, and in innistrad sexy vampires have harems.

A given creature could be bonded more than once, you can form a polycule!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BizarroAzrael posted:

A given creature could be bonded more than once, you can form a polycule!

Yeah, if one of them runs off or dies.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Read Bereaved Survivor. "When another creature you control dies, transform Bereaved Survivor." By the rules, if two creatures die, there should be two triggers - one would transform Bereaved Survivor into Dauntless Avenger, and then the second would transform it back. That's clearly not how the card is meant to work, but is there any text or rule that says that's not how it works? Are we back to using intuition over rules when the card text doesn't seem to make sense?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Chamale posted:

Read Bereaved Survivor. "When another creature you control dies, transform Bereaved Survivor." By the rules, if two creatures die, there should be two triggers - one would transform Bereaved Survivor into Dauntless Avenger, and then the second would transform it back. That's clearly not how the card is meant to work, but is there any text or rule that says that's not how it works? Are we back to using intuition over rules when the card text doesn't seem to make sense?

Once it transforms there's no longer a creature called bereaved survivor in play. It's dauntless avenger so if there were two triggers on the stack the second trigger would do nothing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chamale posted:

701.28f If an activated or triggered ability of a permanent that isn’t a delayed triggered ability of that permanent tries to transform it, the permanent transforms only if it hasn’t transformed since the ability was put onto the stack. If a delayed triggered ability of a permanent tries to transform that permanent, the permanent transforms only if it hasn’t transformed since that delayed triggered ability was created. In either case, if the permanent has already transformed, the instruction to transform is ignored.

edit: apparently this was added back in Shadows Over Innistrad so Archangel Avacyn wouldn't flip back and forth a bunch of times if she got multiple death triggers

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 25, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Gramps posted:

Once it transforms there's no longer a creature called bereaved survivor in play. It's dauntless avenger so if there were two triggers on the stack the second trigger would do nothing

Don't think this is correct though. "Cardname" just means "this card" doesn't it? If the ability said "Put a +1/+1 token on Bereaved Survivor and transform it" I believe you would still get a token for every creature death but still only one flip.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
701.28f is correct, but a better question is why is she bereaved before any of her fellow creatures have died?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I didn't know about that rule, thank you.

LifeLynx posted:

701.28f is correct, but a better question is why is she bereaved before any of her fellow creatures have died?

Good point!

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

LifeLynx posted:

She's already bereaved, but the next time something dies it pushes her over the edge.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gramps posted:

That's not accurate, unless it says "a card named" then the card name in the ability just means itself.
Think of it this way: if she died herself before transforming while the trigger was on the stack, and you flashed in another copy, it wouldn't resolve and transform.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 25, 2021

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

prereaved*

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cactrot posted:

She's already bereaved, but the next time something dies it pushes her over the edge.

This. She’s like Charles Bronson in Death Wish except she can bring people back to life

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

goferchan posted:

edit: apparently this was added back in Shadows Over Innistrad so Archangel Avacyn wouldn't flip back and forth a bunch of times if she got multiple death triggers

Sad, that would be hilarious if it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I wanted to make a powerful vintage deck of proxies to show my casual friends how ridiculous the game can get. So I looked at some of the vintage meta for ideas, but they're evolved specifically to counter other vintage meta decks, whereas I want something more general. Does anyone have recommendations for cards and combos to use in a vintage red/white/blue for playing against any possible opponent?