Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Man if they sell Western Empires via the pledge manager at a discount I might be interested...

You can get both Eastern and Western Empires for only 60 euro more than Eastern alone, seems like a pretty good discount right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tsilkani posted:

You can get both Eastern and Western Empires for only 60 euro more than Eastern alone, seems like a pretty good discount right there.

But then I'm just That Guy with Mega Empires!

I had dreams once!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I already have Western, so I went in on this as soon as I got the email. That said, I have absolutely no idea when I'll ever get to play it.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

We're supposed to play the several-hundred dollar games we back?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

rydiafan posted:

Absolutely not

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

rydiafan posted:

I just back games for the satisfaction of punching out cardboard tokens and putting everything in sleeves and nice little baggies, then letting them sit on my shelf and be pretty.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rydiafan posted:

this is why i back endless rpg supplements instead, if i use a random table or something in my existing game the use is "justified"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Don't forget the free international shipping included!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ian o’Toole + that art style + imperium classics/legends designers + space 4X = I will decorate my house in copies of this game

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I checked the reviews for Western Empire and apparently some people may not be up for games that can hit 12 hours and basically there's no way I can back the kickstarter for both but I really want this ridiculous 18-player thing.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I feel like the 18-player monster is aiming for that Twilight Imperium 'event game' feel. And much like TI I'd really like to play it, but I can't imagine ever wanting to play it more than once.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

potatocubed posted:

I feel like the 18-player monster is aiming for that Twilight Imperium 'event game' feel. And much like TI I'd really like to play it, but I can't imagine ever wanting to play it more than once.

200 man hours of game isn't too bad

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've been wringing my hands on this one for about a week and finally chipped in:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythsandminiatures/kenjis-questa-classic-90s-era-rpg-meets-the-tabletop

However, it doesn't sound like they're going to make the goal. The kickstarter page and the developer seem helpful and not weird, what do you think is wrong here then? Too similar to other kickstarters?

This seems like something I could use to try and wink wink nudge nudge friends to be more interested in D&D style things, since it seems like it takes out a lot of potential prep work (a more digital version of Pathfinder card game, kind of?)

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've been wringing my hands on this one for about a week and finally chipped in:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythsandminiatures/kenjis-questa-classic-90s-era-rpg-meets-the-tabletop

However, it doesn't sound like they're going to make the goal. The kickstarter page and the developer seem helpful and not weird, what do you think is wrong here then? Too similar to other kickstarters?

This seems like something I could use to try and wink wink nudge nudge friends to be more interested in D&D style things, since it seems like it takes out a lot of potential prep work (a more digital version of Pathfinder card game, kind of?)

It loks very sensible. Maybe not flashy enough on the current market?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

This looks right up my alley as well. It is fairly pricey though -- why did they include stuff like the game mat, potion bottles, and magic stones in the core game?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

They told me they might have options to do the minis later on, and they might be able to fund the KS even if it doesn't work out

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Holy poo poo - that huge wall to wall description is all images. You can't search it at all, nor will it be indexed by search engines.

That's loving stupid.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This mini campaign is ending tomorrow and it looks like another cheap deal like Blacklist's Fantasy Series, but I just don't know if I should back them since it is their first project...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nextlevelminiatures/next-level-miniatures-dragons-hoard-miniatures-vol-1

You do get a good amount for $80 + shipping.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Again, probably shouldn't back them since they are associating with Frog God, but it already funded, so gently caress it...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Heads up for anyone expecting any fulfilments from VFI Asia, they've locked down due to Covid :rip:

"We are currently under a government mandated quarantine and are unable to continue normal operations. Some of us will still have email access, but please expect delays in responses. Fortunately, we are all healthy and expect to be back to work as soon as possible."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Doctor Zero posted:

Holy poo poo - that huge wall to wall description is all images. You can't search it at all, nor will it be indexed by search engines.

That's loving stupid.

Lots of kickstarters seem to love doing this

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I think I heard KS puts a word limit on the page, but hey guess what you can put a bigass image with text on it!!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If there is a word limit on the page it must be pretty big. I've never hit it in the 3 kickstarters I have done. I use images as well but do as much as possible as text for searching, indexing, etc.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

silvergoose posted:

I think I heard KS puts a word limit on the page, but hey guess what you can put a bigass image with text on it!!

I wish KS would add loving headings you can skip to on the side.

Overview
How to Play
Pledge Levels
Stretch Goals
Credits
etc

Flamecraft was the last example where this was super loving bad
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cardboardalchemy/flamecraft/description

Absolute unscrollable word salad via images

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

I swear most people must not actually read any of that and just mash Pledge if it looks cool. Which I suppose must work otherwise projects wouldn’t do that. :iiam:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I read the important bits and gloss over the parts that seem samey or whatever like shipping info :shepspends:

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Launches Tuesday, from MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Get clicking that notify button so the algorithms might actually show people on launch.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/definitely-not-damsels-28mm-women-warriors-for-ttrpg

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doctor Zero posted:

I swear most people must not actually read any of that and just mash Pledge if it looks cool. Which I suppose must work otherwise projects wouldn’t do that. :iiam:

You're probably right, I once pledged for something that had a note at the end saying "if you actually read to here, e-mail us and get a freebie" and only a tiny handful of people ever did according to the creator.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Christ, I guess I whined enough because now I’m getting ads for kickstarters that won’t start for another 25+ days.

Yeah, like I’m going to remember that. And no, I’m not signing up for your loving “newsletter”.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 26, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have only ever turned on the launch reminders for folks I already know and/or have backed in the past

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
This sounds absolutely fascinating and has three days left.

Remember August is a game where the creator will spend a month writing you letters -- real letters if you're in the US and you're willing to fork out for them -- and between them and your own work you'll create a unique memento/art object/thing.

It's inspired by This Is How You Lose The Time War and other things I've not heard of, but I'm absolutely sold.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Dang, after weeks with no updates, the first kickstarter I pledged to (Castles of Mad King Ludwig) has finally admitted that they won't hit their December release date. Probably more like February, but I expect that means April in reality. And I'll have to buy my wife a different Xmas present!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do you know what stopped me from backing Castles? The ugly AF green containers that looked like somebody downloaded an STL and printed it on their home 3D printer

Bottom right (Not the Gametrayz)

Just seems so butt ugly for what is a deluxe version of the game, and all the other structures add nothing to it other than FOMO style miniatures.

Maybe the base game will get the upgraded artwork in the future, but yeah nah.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fury of Dracula fans keep an eye on Beast which launches tomorrow

https://www.studiomidhall.com/beast/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjJK1QJFqQ

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

potatocubed posted:

Remember August is a game where the creator will spend a month writing you letters -- real letters if you're in the US and you're willing to fork out for them -- and between them and your own work you'll create a unique memento/art object/thing.

It's inspired by This Is How You Lose The Time War and other things I've not heard of, but I'm absolutely sold.

That is super cool, though I'm not exactly interested.

This Is How You Lose The Time War is incredible

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Same, neat idea for a KS project. Not my thing but really clever and cool to see.

I mashed BUY on This Is How You Lose The Time War, thanks people for mentioning it :yayclod:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

potatocubed posted:

How in the hell are they going to be able to do that with what looks to be 500+ people???

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

How in the hell are they going to be able to do that with what looks to be 500+ people???

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That is a good question, and I look forward to finding out.

It'll either be great or it'll collapse under the weight of its own success, which is often interesting to watch.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

potatocubed posted:

That is a good question, and I look forward to finding out.

It'll either be great or it'll collapse under the weight of its own success, which is often interesting to watch.

Makes me think of a Star Trek PBM game I tried one time. Whoever was on the writing end of the letters ignored like 90% of what I wrote back and just kept going with the story as it was obviously intended. :argh:

Hopefully it won't be that bad. Give us a trip report!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Reading the page, my impression is that it's not a two-way correspondence - everyone will get the same set of letters from August, players are supposed to send their replies to themselves rather than to the creator.