Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, given the long hiatus and the change in networks I’m kinda expecting this to be the last season.

Agreed which is a real shame, although it could just be a Covid thing (that it's been so long). I hope it is just that, but I do feel Scott Grimes's tweet made it sound proper final.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nah, Grimes' tweet was just their part of the production.

Was that Tim Russ on the last line ?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

gbs but from 2004 posted:

I always thought the bridge looked a little low budget / basic, I’m glad they’ve revamped it! Hopefully they’ve revamped the engine room too

Yeah it was one of the things that put me off the first time I tried to get into the show.

Because apparently I'm pretty shallow ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
You guys seem to forget that there was a long gap between Season 1 and Season 2, even if they were consecutive years. Season 1 ended in early 2017, and then there was a single episode in 2018 that's technically a 2 year gap right there.

The pandemic certainly didn't help, but you nerds forget that nerds are gonna nerd, and it's been proven that people want a sci-fi show that isn't grim dark all the time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The third season was originally scheduled for 2020, so it's not hard to see why that didn't happen. I can see this being the last season, but it probably depends on the reception like everything else. It's now part of Disney+ in parts of the world that don't get Hulu so that probably gives it a boost.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hulu is doing a big original content push and they clearly spent money to revamp sets. I'm not saying that's a slam dunk for renewal, but I have a feeling it will happen if it's something Seth wants.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Is there anything behind the persistent last season posting, or just reflexive pessimism?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rygar201 posted:

Is there anything behind the persistent last season posting, or just reflexive pessimism?

We have a couple of Negative Nellies who can't accept that good and cool things are in fact good and cool. They make the same post every time there's news.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rygar201 posted:

People reading into this too much
https://twitter.com/scottgrimes/status/1417887060086575104

When I read it as there's generally a gap between seasons here so he's going to miss playing the role until they start filming in 2023. Or even if he has a schedule for 2022 he's going to miss them while doing another job. I imagine the studio would have had him take the tweet down if this was considering leaking a cancellation. I think he just really really likes playing the character, which is fantastic!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Those do look like good shoes

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There's no way this show can survive without Yaphit, it brings me no pleasure to report the harsh truth.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

There's no way this show can survive without Yaphit, it brings me no pleasure to report the harsh truth.

Yaphit splits, one of them goes on to do something else but one decides to pick up the legacy of their Mom. Very easy to write around. The voice will be missed but the character at least has a very nice loophole for this.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Iron Crowned posted:

You guys seem to forget that there was a long gap between Season 1 and Season 2, even if they were consecutive years. Season 1 ended in early 2017, and then there was a single episode in 2018 that's technically a 2 year gap right there.

Season 1 was Fall 2017, ending at the beginning of December. Season 2 started at the end of December 2018.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

“Apparently the battle over whether or not to kill off Seth MacFarlane’s Ed Mercer character is also a part of why it’s taking so long to get The Orville season 3 done. Seth wants to kill off Ed Mercer in The Orville season 3 finale, and Hulu doesn’t want him to, because they still hope they can convince MacFarlane to come back for The Orville season 4.”

Supposedly he's made deals for other more serious-in-tone shows that he's working on

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

“Mr. Bortus……. Fire.”

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think his character is kind of a weak point in the show, as long as Seth stayed involved in the production side I wouldn't mind a change. Promote Kelly, get a new guy in to be first officer.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think I'd be sad to see any of the characters go

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I think Seth planned Mercer to go out the whole time. It seems very "him" to want to be a starship captain AND go out gloriously to make room for his fellow actors

Like I know these things about him:

1.) Loves Star Trek, wants to be a space captain
2.) Loves verisimilitude
3.) Loves supporting actors

It just fits

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mercer is a good character but his neediness while well developed is also off-putting, as well as his inability to move on from his ex. All portrayed pretty well but not likable traits!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Brawnfire posted:

I think Seth planned Mercer to go out the whole time. It seems very "him" to want to be a starship captain AND go out gloriously to make room for his fellow actors

Like I know these things about him:

1.) Loves Star Trek, wants to be a space captain
2.) Loves verisimilitude
3.) Loves supporting actors

It just fits

Death is too permanent.

Give him promotion to Admiral, which leaves room for a yearly guest appearance.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

adhuin posted:

Death is too permanent.

Give him promotion to Admiral, which leaves room for a yearly guest appearance.

It's Star Trek, death ain't permanent. Lower Decks had multiple people die (or "die"?) and come back just this season!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Upload him to the holodeck.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

pik_d posted:

It's Star Trek, death ain't permanent. Lower Decks had multiple people die (or "die"?) and come back just this season!

Don't ask about it!!!!

But yeah, as much poo poo as current Family Guy gets, Seth seems to be a really talented creator and is an all around good dude which is sadly very rare in that industry.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mercer ascension arc!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I always thought “Best of Both Worlds” chickened out by hitting a big reset button at the end. Who is the Orville universe equivalent to Lt. Shelby?

The season subtitle and set redesign feel like a soft reboot. It’s clear that McFarlane loves the show and I can see him moving to more behind-the-camera work.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

The Lord Bude posted:

I think his character is kind of a weak point in the show, as long as Seth stayed involved in the production side I wouldn't mind a change. Promote Kelly, get a new guy in to be first officer.

Do you want more Tharl?
Because that's how you get more Tharl.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jay_Zombie posted:

Do you want more Tharl?
Because that's how you get more Tharl.

I do actually

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Iron Crowned posted:

I do actually

Bitchin'.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
When you buy an old house:

When you move into a new development:

bull3964 posted:

What sucks is they only had to make a few tweaks to the story to make it work, but they just completely fumbled the ball.

Imagine instead of Picard trying to stop an ancient order of Romulans from genociding AI so they don't call space robot Cthulhu it was instead a story about Picard uncovering that Romulans were victimizing Borg survivors to scavenge tech to survive as a nomadic race without a home world and the Federation was complicit in the acts because it just wanted the Borg problem gone and out of guilt for not being able to help more in the evacuation.

Sure, it would have been harder to shoehorn Data into that story, but it would have setup a lot more nuanced morality play that has links all the way back to "I, Borg".

They could've just found Data's head in the aftermath of the explosion in Nemesis. You already have the Romulan angle right there. Downside is you still have to acknowledge Nemesis is a movie that was made.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nullsmack posted:

Downside is you still have to acknowledge Nemesis is a movie that was made.

Personally I imagine the TNG leads, after reading the first draft of the Nemesis script, drew straws to see who got to die heroically at the end, and Spiner won.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The real reason they killed off data is because Spiner was getting old and they wanted to 'switch' to a new body that could age like a human. Despite "All Good Things" already showing that Data can age if he wants to.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kurieg posted:

The real reason they killed off data is because Spiner was getting old and they wanted to 'switch' to a new body that could age like a human. Despite "All Good Things" already showing that Data can age if he wants to.

You know what would have made a million times more sense and been a better ending? If right before picard is leaving the planet, famously childless Soong's surprise son says something in passing that makes the audience and picard realize that was Data all along and he finally got his wish to be human with that dumb bio android tech, and Picard can beam out with a knowing smile.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 27, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man, that whole ending in Picard.

1) They have a magical fix anything McGuffin that's used in the most banal way possible instead of, I dunno, fixing Picard's condition.

2) That would have allowed Data to go into the mortal synthetic body that aged normally, giving closure to data Data's quest to become human. Instead he dies in the most inhumane way possible, being turned off after wasting away in a matrix for 20 years.

Ugh, so so so much squandered potential!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

adhuin posted:

Death is too permanent.

Give him promotion to Admiral, which leaves room for a yearly guest appearance. allows them to turn Mercer into a villain

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'll just be happy if Spiner is still in the show, but it would have been cooler to make Data a real boy and let Spiner be old.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Talking about the time span between new episodes, it just hit me: The series Halston Sage left for, Prodigal Son, premiered, ran for two full seasons, and was cancelled all without a new episode of The Orville airing.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Welcome back Alara!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rygar201 posted:

Welcome back Alara!

That would be hilarious!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hope the time dilation planet reappears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I liked the character of Alara in isolation but overall I think her departure was good for the show. The cast became better balanced with the addition of another older cast member who is thoroughly competent and confident in themselves.