Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that's 1/2/3. at g0 you don't have tangent continuity, so there is a visible edge where the surfaces join, and the curvature graph is broken.

here is another way of showing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

are the inverse(?) of these ever used?

like the inverse of g1 would be with the hill of inverse of the radius in the middle

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
How do you do this in Blender? I know there's CAD software with tools for it but I didn't think Blender did.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elukka posted:

How do you do this in Blender? I know there's CAD software with tools for it but I didn't think Blender did.

strictly you can’t, it requires nurbs, and while blender has some nurbs functionality it’s minor

and approximately .. idk how possible it is either

the closest thing i’ve found is in the bevel tool or modifier you can change the profile, with a 0.5 profile being an ordinary fillet and somewhere between 0.6-0.8 looking like it approximates one of these g2 curves

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I mean if all else fails you can always generate the geometry with a python script but I doubt that Sagebrush would go there for a class exercise

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

are the inverse(?) of these ever used?

like the inverse of g1 would be with the hill of inverse of the radius in the middle

not quite sure what you mean. like a graph that shows radius directly instead of curvature, so it's smaller at the sharper edges? i guess you could do that, but this way seems more practical since most surfaces are generally flat-ish (i.e. very large or infinite radius) so you'd have huge graphs on the flat parts you don't care about, and tiny ones in the tricky details.

there are all kinds of other diagnostic shaders though, like the continuity analyzer (0.000 is good)

and the zebra stripes (slippery snakes are good)

and curvature analysis (oof, don't like that blue sink mark in the middle of the blend)

and just plain old reflection mapping and looking for weird stuff

i know this isn't blender stuff but idk, i like surfacing and the extremely deep dive you can do into the exact shape of an artifact

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 21, 2021

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

those look cool and i wasn't really sure what i meant either, just noticing the shape of the graph and wondering if the curve that would have the opposite pattern of linear change would ever be used or if the answer is "nah"

like the underlying curve that would cause this graph

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ah i see. well that would just be a g2 curve, because you don't have that sudden jump in curvature at the edge. it would have a slightly rounder/pointier profile from the other g2, but it would still be continuous.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gotcha that makes sense

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

good times, Cycles X just got merged into the non-experimental daily branch of Blender 3
https://twitter.com/BlenderDev/status/1440325606386769932

which I think means it will now be guaranteed to be included in the mainline release of 3.0 in December, if I understand the general software development workflow right.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does cycles x bring anything new to the table or just faster

the greatest thing I miss which is basically a niche process is bi-directional path tracing. shame have to use luxrender to get that. welp

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

does cycles x bring anything new to the table or just faster

the greatest thing I miss which is basically a niche process is bi-directional path tracing. shame have to use luxrender to get that. welp

cycles x also progressively renders the whole frame instead of using tiling, and it’s optimized much better for the viewport. supposedly they’re going to fix volumetrics as well? and improve shadow catchers somehow

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 22, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

for a challenge i made the yospos meme in the same curvature-continuous style as the R, but it's amazing how indistinguishable it is at this scale from a regular old extrusion + fillet that would take 8 seconds. lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

cycles x also progressively renders the whole frame instead of using tiling, and it’s optimized much better for the viewport. supposedly they’re going to fix volumetrics as well? and improve shadow catchers somehow

progressive rendering is available already ..

and I hate it :cry:

often I want to see how something is going to come out at a certain sample depth and tiling allows that but full frame rendering means waiting for the whole thing to finish not just a small square. I have my tiles set to 8x8 it’s cute

:qq:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

echinopsis posted:

progressive rendering is available already ..

and I hate it :cry:

often I want to see how something is going to come out at a certain sample depth and tiling allows that but full frame rendering means waiting for the whole thing to finish not just a small square. I have my tiles set to 8x8 it’s cute

:qq:

you can still use render regions for that, also i think if you're using gpu small tile sizes like that slow it down

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the sweet spot for pure speed is around 32x32 on my machine but a few extra seconds over the whole pic isn’t a big deal and the small wee pixel crunchers are cute

i have one of those 24 thread cpu’s so have a whole lot of tiles at once

still. suppose it doesn’t make a massive difference .. but whenever I turn on progressive i’m always gutted at how bogus it is to watch do it’s job. if the end result is the same it’s hard to complain about tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

the sweet spot for pure speed is around 32x32 on my machine but a few extra seconds over the whole pic isn’t a big deal and the small wee pixel crunchers are cute

i have one of those 24 thread cpu’s so have a whole lot of tiles at once

still. suppose it doesn’t make a massive difference .. but whenever I turn on progressive i’m always gutted at how bogus it is to watch do it’s job. if the end result is the same it’s hard to complain about tho

progressive rendering in cycles x is way faster and as said above you can ctrl + b out a render region as a test. it’s straight up better than tile based imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

current cycles progressive rendering is way slower than tiles which is the main reason nobody uses it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
better =/= better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

for the in-class exercise today i made a bubbly letter R with full curvature continuity (G3, actually, which is one better) everywhere.

loving smooth

actually just seen this on big screen and this is so nice

that t intersection in the middle of the letter is done so absolutely loving well

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Sagebrush posted:

for the in-class exercise today i made a bubbly letter R with full curvature continuity (G3, actually, which is one better) everywhere.

loving smooth

Wait, is this some crazy subdivision or nurbs or what?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pure NURBS baby

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
would love to get it pissed off and acting irrationally

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Hell yeah curvature talk give me more of that poo poo, it's fascinating

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

brushing up on my nodes for nodevember. watched that erindale video i posted. now i figured out how to do this:

https://i.imgur.com/AEBSv5u.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk man seems like it violates some kind of fundametnal law

I'm sticking to my tried and true method.... something spinning
https://giant.gfycat.com/BountifulRawChital.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

idk man seems like it violates some kind of fundametnal law

I'm sticking to my tried and true method.... something spinning
https://giant.gfycat.com/BountifulRawChital.mp4

i like the analog warmth of the lack of samples

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I tried to make my spaceship spin and that exposed how terrible the geometry actually is so I stopped.

Subsequent ones should have less terrible geometry. I have embraced the sports car paint of shame, the shiny red matcap which exposes the slightest flaw in surfaces.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i like the analog warmth of the lack of samples

it's as many samples as I normally use, but it must be because a lot of it is lit from the sky rather than the sun.

also, I realise now, if I had turned off random seed for the sampling, it would still be as noisy but the noise would be moving.

ALSO.. orthographic projection makes poo poo look weird.

im downloadning 3.0 and seeing if cycles x wil do me any favour. if I can suffer through the progressive rendering

Elukka posted:

I tried to make my spaceship spin and that exposed how terrible the geometry actually is so I stopped.

Subsequent ones should have less terrible geometry. I have embraced the sports car paint of shame, the shiny red matcap which exposes the slightest flaw in surfaces.

you betta fuckin post it :argh: haven't you seen the garbage I am prepared to post? you're in good hands

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
anyone ever done much with blender and python

I've asked in the past if geometry nodes can be programmed and someone said nah you can't make loops or actually make it execute a program,

can you use the python environment to create a shader program? a geometry shader program?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i used python to make some manually-iterated fractals when i first started using blender and it was fine but it's basically just typing the things you would be inputting into the boxes on the nodes anyway so i'm not sure it would be more useful than the nodes themselves unless you find yourself making a bunch of nested/iterated nodes by hand

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Corla Plankun posted:

unless you find yourself making a bunch of nested/iterated nodes by hand

have you heard of nodevember lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this was a node group inside a node group i did for nodevember last year

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

this was a node group inside a node group i did for nodevember last year

so much tidier and prettier than my last big node project

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I’m uh, “codate”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so this noisy image I've been loving around with

cycles ; 4:30
cyclex x : 2:03

at least twice as fast. I like it a lot tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

so this noisy image I've been loving around with

cycles ; 4:30
cyclex x : 2:03

at least twice as fast. I like it a lot tbh

i told you bro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you had my back I know

I was being a stick in te mud. pathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

echinopsis posted:

you betta fuckin post it :argh: haven't you seen the garbage I am prepared to post? you're in good hands
I didn't save it, I just made like ten frames and noped out. The spaceship is the same one I've been posting before.

However in the interests of posting here's another spaceship that's probably a bit cleaner. Also one of the few things I've finished. Wish I had more time for art.

It also comes in red.

Then someone suggested to me I should go full Foss so I did that