Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Blackdog420 posted:

Hey guys I'm reinstalling just to check stuff out, it's been a long time. I remember having alot of Turbine Points that I was holding onto, did they get converted into the new Lotro Points?

Yeah, your points are still there. Also, if you happen to have a lifetime account, the total should have increased by 500 points every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Quill posted:

Yeah, your points are still there. Also, if you happen to have a lifetime account, the total should have increased by 500 points every month.

This lifetime sub has been one of the best return on investments I have ever had in online gaming. I bought it at launch, at which time the game just had to still be around a couple years later for me to feel ok about it. Now it's what? 13 years old? I've never had to spent real money on expansions and I literally can't spend the banked rewards fast enough without getting into cosmetics and other stuff I don't care about. I don't play as often as I used to, but it's so much fun being able to return to this gem when the mood strikes.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Floob posted:

This lifetime sub has been one of the best return on investments I have ever had in online gaming. I bought it at launch, at which time the game just had to still be around a couple years later for me to feel ok about it. Now it's what? 13 years old? I've never had to spent real money on expansions and I literally can't spend the banked rewards fast enough without getting into cosmetics and other stuff I don't care about. I don't play as often as I used to, but it's so much fun being able to return to this gem when the mood strikes.

You said it. It was a big risk for the customer, especially at that time, but drat if it didn't pay off.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I specifically remember passing on three lifetime subs as crazy. LOTRO, Secret World, and Hellgate London. I regret two of those.

How are the new legendary servers going, anyone on them?

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

bagrada posted:

I specifically remember passing on three lifetime subs as crazy. LOTRO, Secret World, and Hellgate London. I regret two of those.

How are the new legendary servers going, anyone on them?

I did lifetime in Hellgate London, and I think when it was over, that game just broke even. By then I had stopped playing though, but yeah. LOTRO has been the best example of the lifetime sub being worth it. I never got into The Secret World, although a big fan of the developer... I like the combat, I just can't get into that game.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

Comrade Koba posted:

I guess there's always the chance they'll do another old content giveaway at some point? :smith:

guess what

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

LOTRO and Star Trek Online might've been the only MMO lifetime sub things I can think of that paid off in spades.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Heck yeah, thanks for posting.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Goddamn, this game rules sometimes.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I just need to wait for christmas to roll around for another huge sale on the expansions themselves now ideally, a couple of them ago I got everything for super cheap up to just before Mordor I think?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Yardbomb posted:

I just need to wait for christmas to roll around for another huge sale on the expansions themselves now ideally, a couple of them ago I got everything for super cheap up to just before Mordor I think?

If you look at the link posted above they're all on sale for 99 lotro points each. The cheapest points bundle gets you 600 lotro points for eight bucks. Think this already qualifies as a huge sale.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah, definitely jump on this, it even includes the latest quest packs from this year. Only thing missing is the last expansion (Minas Morgul) which you won't need until the very end

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Nice, Mordor as well? That one definitely wasn’t included in the last giveaway, so I’ll be sure to pick it up. :dance:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

jalapeno_dude posted:

If you look at the link posted above they're all on sale for 99 lotro points each. The cheapest points bundle gets you 600 lotro points for eight bucks. Think this already qualifies as a huge sale.

Oh I missed that! :v:

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Are Expansion Quests and Instance Clusters under Account / Content / Quest Packs in the store? That's showing as 'no items' so I'm assuming I've already got all those...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Neat, I haven't played this for awhile and don't have the free time to atm, but having a bunch of content for if/when I do is nice. Spent 99tp for the Mordor expansion too since I have a bunch for some reason.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Are the quest packs the same as buying the expansions? Or is buying the expansion a separate thing that comes with other stuff?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

HPanda posted:

Are the quest packs the same as buying the expansions? Or is buying the expansion a separate thing that comes with other stuff?

Pretty much. AFAIK the only thing you miss out on are any new races/classes that come with the expansion. You have to unlock those separately.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

HPanda posted:

When you see a choice between a Quest Pack and an Expansion, always get the expansion. They usually contain some extra stuff like instances, etc.

I can't believe that SSG may finally be seeing the light wrt their Xpac pricing scheme. Its been the biggest complaint about LotRO for years now. WoW gives away all old content for free with a sub or Xpac purchase, yet SSG(and ye olde Turbine) nickel and dime your rear end for every step you take through Middle Earth.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Except they’re not giving away the expansions, they’re giving away the quest packs. Paying 99 LotRO-bucks for all the questing content vs. paying 4995 for the same content plus a few instances and a racial reskin isn’t a hard choice for most people.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny
I was curious about popping back to this game, it's been probably 6-7 years since I last played. When logging in it looks like all my old characters are in limbo and I can only copy them to a test server, and strangely it says I last played them in 2007. Also, I had definitely spent money to unlock stuff (like the beorning class) but it looks like that stuff is all locked again. Do you folks know if any of this can be recovered?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I never minded the monetization when it was mostly just "pay for content". Then of course if you sub like a traditional MMO, all you pay for are expacs, although paying for old expacs is definitely weird and very outdated.

But what really turned me off on the game the past few years, and why I haven't been back, is how heavily the monetization plays into gearing. It's all stupid essences for gear, and scrolls and stuff for your weapon. Want to change essences? Well there's this very rare thing in game, or just pay $X to change it on the shop! Want more scrolls? Pay $X in the shop! And just on and on.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed it all the character progress was designed purely on selling doodads in the shop, and just seemed tedious and not fun nor rewarding. So I finished the overland content, saw it was "grind dailies for gear then for essences and all that needs lots of scrolls if you need to rework even a bit of it", and just logged off. Looking at the wiki, I think that was the Necromancer quest pack.

From what I've heard about the "we totally fixed it this time we swear" LI update, it...seems like 90% the same system underneath with the same major problems (lots of scrolls, buy them on the store! want to swap stuff? Buy it on the store!). I'd assume the gear is still just as annoying. Granted I haven't dug deep into either, as I'm enjoying ESO right now, but I still would like to come back some day to at least run through the past few years of content.

My Hunter is 115, and when I started that character I think the current expac was Rohan. I've done literally every non-repeatable solo quest in the game up until where I quit, heh.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Eels posted:

I was curious about popping back to this game, it's been probably 6-7 years since I last played. When logging in it looks like all my old characters are in limbo and I can only copy them to a test server, and strangely it says I last played them in 2007. Also, I had definitely spent money to unlock stuff (like the beorning class) but it looks like that stuff is all locked again. Do you folks know if any of this can be recovered?
Supposedly they are working on transferring chars from closed servers, but there's no ETA.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Found out today that the new giveaway code includes some of the newer stuff that wasn’t included in the last giveaway (like the Wildwood zone), so be sure to claim it even if you got all the stuff last summer.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So what are questing packs anyway? With a bunch of free ones I'd be willing to try this game put again but would the packs let me get to max level?

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny

fenix down posted:

Supposedly they are working on transferring chars from closed servers, but there's no ETA.

drat, I also just noticed that I dont have any of my old paid content- expansions, Beornings, etc. I submitted a support ticket, I presumed that stuff was supposed to transfer when the ownership changed, right?

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I tried reinstalling this, and it felt loving sad. I was hounded with KMMO-levels of nickel and diming me for core features, everything from unlocking mounts to buying access to classes and various game systems like Traits, lootboxes, and a flow of consumable buffing items. Meanwhile, they have not updated the game's UI for resolutions over 1080p ever, so the inventory and tooltips are microscopic. So much for going on a nostalgia trip.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Elblanco posted:

So what are questing packs anyway? With a bunch of free ones I'd be willing to try this game put again but would the packs let me get to max level?

Unlocking everything in the sale takes you to 10 levels below max. The last expansion (Minas Morgul) is required for the final 10 levels and some endgame content.

(You could potentially level the final 10 levels elsewhere, but it's going to take you over a year realistically playing normally to get to that point anyway, by then you can decide for yourself if it's worth it.)

Elswyyr posted:

I tried reinstalling this, and it felt loving sad. I was hounded with KMMO-levels of nickel and diming me for core features, everything from unlocking mounts to buying access to classes and various game systems like Traits, lootboxes, and a flow of consumable buffing items. Meanwhile, they have not updated the game's UI for resolutions over 1080p ever, so the inventory and tooltips are microscopic. So much for going on a nostalgia trip.

This is 100% SSG being bad at presentation. For $20 right now (one month VIP to unlock much of what you're being nickel-dimed about forever on a character, and about $6 in points to buy all the expansions) you can play for free with 90% of the content (you'll miss out on some classes and races). I don't think I've given SSG any money outside of expansions in years.

Guess I'll update my :effort: post on how to buy from the broken SSG store strategically for all the people coming back for the giveaway since it's obsolete with SSG giving away most of it now!

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 25, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
LUM_'S :effort: POST ON HOW TO PLAY LOTRO FOR FREE AFTER SPENDING A BIT OF $$$

Updated for SSG's content giveaway - it's a lot cheaper now!

(Note: Lotro Points are normally anywhere from 75/$1 to 115/$1 depending on how many you buy at once. If there's a point bonus sale on it goes from 87.6/$1 to 167.5/$1. You can also earn them in game very slowly but unless you value your time as less than sub-minimum wage buying them is easier.)
(Note: Most of this list goes on sale at some point. These are non-sale prices.)

TL;DR:
Currently, I recommend you buy 1600 LP ($20) to get the premium wallet and most of the expansion content (Rise of Isengard quest pack is skippable and pretty bad, and the instance clusters can be skipped since few people do non-level cap instances anyway). Then buy 1 month of VIP ($15) and create characters for every class you think you might some day be interested in. That's it, you're done spending money if you want. Everything else is time saver/convienence. Read on for explanations of what to buy/why.

THINGS TO BUY FIRST THAT ARE PROBABLY NECESSARY:

Premium Wallet: 995 LP
buy this before anything else. About 700 things that normally go in your inventory will disappear into the wallet. For some reason VIP status doesn't give you this.

One month VIP: $15
once you do this, make a character of every class you think you might want to play; creating them while VIP unlocks enough things (fast travel, talents, virtues) to make it worth buying a month. after the first month you need never buy it again (unless you want to make a new character). Note: if you get to level 20 during that month (which is easily doable) you can buy your first horse with in-game gold. i'd rather just unlock it immediately (see below) but you do you!

THINGS TO BUY AFTER VIP EXPIRES THAT ARE PROBABLY NECESSARY EVENTUALLY:

Currency Cap Removal: 395 LP
LOTRO rains money on you and it's pretty easy to hit the 5G cap (2G if you never buy anything from the store ever). This solves that problem.

Quest Zones:
Didn't get them all for free when SSG was giving them away during the pandemic? Welp. This is where you'll pay the most - but bear in mind once you pay for a zone, you unlock it for your account, for every character, forever, instead of paying a subscription.
(WAIT! Thanks to SSG you can now enter in a code in the store: LOTROQUESTS2021 and unlock all these for free. Laugh as you save $100!)

The ideal min-max path for levelling will require the following to get to max level:
(before doing this get to level 30 via starter zone/Bree-lands/Lone-lands for free)

Evendim: 30-40
Misty Mountains: 40-45 (can skip if you can get to 43 or better in Evendim, which is possible)
Wildwood: 45-50 (can do Eregion with this level range, Wildwood just came out this year)
Moria: 50-60 (99 LP on sale)
Mirkwood: 60-65 (99 LP on sale)
Enedwaith: 65-70
Great River: 70-75
I Hate Rohan Part One (aka "Riders of Rohan"): 75-85 (99 LP on sale)
I Hate Rohan Part Two (aka "Helms Deep"): 85-95 (99 LP on sale)
Western Gondor: 95-100

At this point for about a year? 2? SSG just said "screw you, no more level cap increases" and everything stayed at level 100 for a very long time, which makes levelling through Gondor awkward. You'll hit level 100 easily in Western Gondor, so just do the epic quest (which is free) and nothing else once you finish Western Gondor until you get to Far Anorien (the Minas Tirith area - after you escape Osgiliath) at which point SSG said "ok, we'll give you level bumps again" and progression continues.

Far Anorien: 100-105

If you get to 106 or better in Far Anorien, don't bother buying any other quest content and just do the epic quest until Mordor opens up (again, epic quest is free and you get to fight alongside Aragorn - spoiler, he lives, the ring doesn't, Frodo's saved. Note: being overlevelled well past 105 once you hit Mordor is helpful, as everything in Mordor hits level-appropriate players like a truck.

Mordor: 105-115 (99 LP on sale)
I Hate Dwarves Part One (aka "Where Dragons Dwell"): 115-120
Minas Morgul: 120-130 2495 LP (Yep, this wasn't included in the sale, you'll need to buy it. Almost certainly Gundabad, the next expansion will have come out by the time you get to this, as well.)

You're done! Time to join endless parties where internet nerds yell at you because you don't have four maxed out legendary weapons you swap out for each skill.

(I Hate Dwarves Part Two is a brief quest pack at the level cap "War of Three Peaks" and I Hate Dwarves Part Three "Gundabad" is the next expansion due this year.)

THINGS TO BUY IN ROUGH ORDER TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER

Account-wide fast horse unlock: 2995 LP
Gotta go fast! Every character you make, for the rest of your life, can have the fastest horse in the game at level 5. Buy this if you value your time at all.

Milestone time-reduction:
- Expedient Traveller: 495 LP Milestone cooldown now 35m instead of 60m
- Hurried Traveller: 495 LP Milestone cooldown now 5m instead of 35m
Having a milestone skill available every 5 minutes will save hours and hours of your life.

(IF YOU'RE NOT A HUNTER/WARDEN - IF YOU ARE YOU GET BETTER FOR FREE AS CLASS SKILLS)
Extra milestone bind points (495 LP each)
Buy a few of these. Set one in Bree, have a couple spread out among multiple quest hubs. For the love of god, if you're doing the epic quest book 1 (the first one) put one in Rivendell. The game LOVES to send you back to talk to your buddy Elrond every five minutes for a very long stretch.

THINGS TO BUY IF YOU REALLY WANT THEM, I GUESS:
- Warden class: 795 LP A fairly powerful hybrid tank/DPS that can teleport like Hunters. Playing a warden requires A LOT of memorization of combos similar to fighting games; if a Warden isn't your main, you won't be able to play it effectively.
- Runekeeper class: 795 LP: A hybrid DPS/healing class that is the closest LOTRO comes to a pure wizard.
- Beorning class/race: 1000 LP

A really powerful class for solo play that lets you do strong damage, tanking, and healing while turning into a bear. Goons love Beornings.
- High Elf race: 1000 LP

Your old Elf wasn't Elf enough? Be a High Elf! Look slightly different, get very slightly better bonuses and a resurrect spell, and an intro you'll play through once. (Don't bother getting this. Really, don't: regular Elves get direct bonus damage to bows that are much better, especially if being a stereotypical Elf Hunter)
- Stout Axe Dwarf race: 1000 LP
Your old Dwarf wasn't Dwarf enough? Be a Stout Axe! Look completely identical, get better animations which max-level internet weirdos swear are necessary to be effective, and an intro you'll play through once. (Don't bother getting this.)

And that's it, really. You COULD blow more points on mithril coins (zap yourself to quest destinations) or housing or whatever. But at this point you've bought the game and can now play for free. Until the next expansion, anyway.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 25, 2021

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Decided to log in again just to spend my llifetime sub funbux.

Just spent almost every single one of my funbux by just buying every single new character slot available.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there really no way to scale all of the UI? The game is entirely unplayable on a 4k screen.

sad question
May 30, 2020

LOTRO has a reputation for being very chill game and these free quest packs seemed like a great idea to demo the game. Impressions:

- What is this UI in 2021 :wtc: Those loading screens are the blurriest poo poo I have seen in years.
- I get microstutter every now and then. Really annoying. Might have to tinker with graphical options I guess...

+ Music slaps.
+ I went "ooooh" when I saw a lake at night.
+ Generally good atmosphere and area design.

Things that potentially worry me given age of the game:

- That quests will go from reasonable gathering of 6 bear asses to 50 bear asses.
- That the game will start making GBS threads out useless skills at me to fill out all the action bars like MMOs loved to do.

In conlusion, :shrug:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's this skin collection, if you want to make it a little less ugly.
https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info581-JRRSkinscollection-Atributetomiddleearth.html

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lum_ posted:

The ideal min-max path for levelling will require the following to get to max level:

Misty Mountains: 40-45 (can skip if you can get to 43 or better in Evendim, which is possible)

When did Misty Mountains get changed and stop sucking again? I haven't made a new character in agents but when I did it was still better to go to Forochel after Evendim instead of the Misty Mountains since MM had you running around for a handful of quests while Forochel had a lot more content. Might need level 41 or 42 to start the first quest hub there as well while I think MM was level 37-38 for the first quests?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

https://store-new.standingstonegames.com/gundabad

Fate of Gundabad up for pre-sale
release date Nov 10

$39.99 / $79.99 / $129.99 (lol)

Brawler comes with all editions, to be released October 13th (update 31). This means the Brawler and the new LI system are mostly locked as they have been shown on Bullroarer (probably). Maybe one more round of beta? I know some people were saying it is not quite ready to go, but that's SSG to a t.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

When did Misty Mountains get changed and stop sucking again? I haven't made a new character in agents but when I did it was still better to go to Forochel after Evendim instead of the Misty Mountains since MM had you running around for a handful of quests while Forochel had a lot more content. Might need level 41 or 42 to start the first quest hub there as well while I think MM was level 37-38 for the first quests?

They did a revamp on it, it's still not *great* but Forochel is pretty tough right after Evendim unless you're overlevelled. That guide also assumes people are wanting to buy as few zones as possible which isn't really the case at the moment!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't remember how efficient MM was or wasn't, but I do remember that I enjoyed the zone (well after F2P conversion, but also many years ago too). I really enjoyed the first time traveling there - if you go along the road or something, it felt like a big treacherous hike, snowstorms and stuff, really got me into it. I think later I found a shortcut and how you can like...hop up around a hill or something, but it's been a while.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I loved that dude in Lord of the Rings who punched bears with magic gloves to collect their asses.

I’m not going to get salty about it but the brawler seems dumb as heck. Stoked for actual LI changes though!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kaysette posted:

I loved that dude in Lord of the Rings who punched bears with magic gloves to collect their asses.

I’m not going to get salty about it but the brawler seems dumb as heck. Stoked for actual LI changes though!

Meanwhile I love punching everything so I am 100% going to try a brawler immediately. (The inspiration character is apparently Helm Hammerhand.)

Edit: Actually, is there a good summary of how LIs will work - text, not video? Bonus points for one that doesn't assume I know how they work now, since I don't know how attunement or imbuement or whatever it's called works.

Prism fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I heard that Smaug was actually punched to death by 5 high elven boxers from an older age waking up from their comas and being supported by 5 escaped dwarven slaves from mordor calling down lightning and healing energies with their carved rocks.

I'm seriously looking forward to coming back and trying the new class and the new legendaries. If there's time between Endwalker, End of Dragons and Elden Ring and all the other stuff coming out in the next 6 months. I just need to keep myself from starting over on new legendary servers every time I hit Mirkwood.