Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Source of Madness is out in Early Access today. A charming little eurojank roguelite, sort a sidescrolling high-Lovecraftian take on Diablo 2. The gimmick is that the textures are AI-generated, which actually works for the dark hallucinatory vibe. I'm having fun with it but it is definitely an EA game at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Inscryption demo is out, too -- it's the horror card game from the creator of Pony Island and The Hex that you may have seen the trailer for this summer. Full release October 19th. I've been in the beta for a while now and I'm really impressed with everything I've seen. The demo is just the first 30 minutes or so of the game, it shouldn't spoil anything later on.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

goferchan posted:

Inscryption demo is out, too -- it's the horror card game from the creator of Pony Island and The Hex that you may have seen the trailer for this summer. Full release October 19th. I've been in the beta for a while now and I'm really impressed with everything I've seen. The demo is just the first 30 minutes or so of the game, it shouldn't spoil anything later on.

Just completed it. Really loving good, can't wait for the full release. One question though. Are you able to do anything with the ring in the demo? I opened the clock I guess by accident (was just messing with the hands and got the right time lol) I saw it on my character's hand but didn't see any option to interact with it before beating the boss.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just completed it. Really loving good, can't wait for the full release. One question though. Are you able to do anything with the ring in the demo? I opened the clock I guess by accident (was just messing with the hands and got the right time lol) I saw it on my character's hand but didn't see any option to interact with it before beating the boss.

Huh, that is actually not an item I recall at all from the beta. I imagine it was either added after I played that part or something just for the demo.

edit: Yeah it's looking like several things were added that weren't in the beta 👀👀 Really hyped for full release

goferchan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 26, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Spirit Hunter: Death Mark for PS4 is on sale...anybody got any experience with it? A lot of the screenshots look mighty creepy, but how is the gameplay? The idea of a visual novel with boss battles sounds...weird.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Spirit Hunter is decent, unless you read fast, then the inability to speed up text in any way will drive you up the wall. The 'boss battles' are more just elaborate puzzles where you have to figure out which items you picked up in your investigation are useful to defend or attack them, they're basically scripted affairs where you try and figure out how to not die.

Should also probably warn that's it's somewhat Japanese uh ero horror? The PS4 version is toned down compared to the Steam version but the aspect it still there.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Should also probably warn that's it's somewhat Japanese uh ero horror? The PS4 version is toned down compared to the Steam version but the aspect it still there.

Yeah, I had poked around in some gameplay videos on Youtube to get a gist for the game, and one of the first things I saw was an image of a naked woman wrapped up in plant vines, including a vine camel-toe'ing her crotch. :stonk: I'm slowly running out of visual novels to play on the PS4, so I may pick it up next time it goes on sale (which is pretty often).

I also saw mention of a character that may be trans (or at least gender non-conforming)? Is this handled as poorly as most trans folks in anime are?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Yeah, a kid was held prisoner and eventually murdered for dressing up as a girl. The ghost you fight is their angry spirit.

All in all, it's much better than other portrayals.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Anyone played 'In sound mind'?

it has good reviews but the pool is like 96 people, seems like most people are ignoring it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played the demo and it's kind of a horror game heartthrob. It's an adventure with a lot of note reading and puzzle solving but there's also rudimentary combat and there's also puzzle-y monster encounters like using a mirror to check if a monster is creeping up behind you and all of that smashed into a 90 minute demo that was messy and inscrutable but never boring. It was well designed but still amateurish but not in a negative way a lot of craft went into the game. The devs worked on Nightmare House 2 a popular Half-Life 2 horror mod.

So comparatively I'd put it in that category of Mundaun as a unique horror/adventure hybrid so expect jank but also something more personal and interesting than whatever "you were the demons" high polished wank Bloober puts out annually (anyone up for a Layers of Fear remake??).

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
EDIT: :dance: Call off the search! :dance: Some kind soul has reached out to me. Thank you, kind goon, you know who you are! :love:

If anyone can help me, it's this thread.

I'm looking for Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land for Windows.

It's a horror strategy game set in World War I that was released in cooperation with Chaosium in 2012, but the publisher Red Wasp Design has closed shop a few years ago. It was available on Steam for a while, but not anymore.
Usually, I'm pretty good at tracking down obsolete software, but this time - nothing. It's neither on gog.com, nor on archive.org, nor on any of the less reputable sites I checked. There are a few old Russian torrents floating around, but with no seeders.
The game was first released for Android and iOS, and apparently you can find the installation files for those easily, but I want to play it on a real PC, not via emulation.

At this point, it's beginning to feel like the hunt for one of Lovecraft's forbidden tomes: I'm able to catch glimpses here and there, I see traces of those who played it through reviews and YouTube videos, and occasionally I find some dead download links where it used to be available, but it remains ever elusive. eBay has tons of offers for all the other old official Call of Cthulhu games - Shadow of the Comet, Prisoner of Ice, Dark Corners of the Earth and so on - but it's like The Wasted Land never existed.

If anyone has the game, I'd be willing to pay good money for it.
Feel free to PM me.
Thank you.

EDIT: Here are some links to prove I'm not crazy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_The_Wasted_Land
https://store.steampowered.com/app/251390/Call_of_Cthulhu_The_Wasted_Land/
https://redwaspdesign.wordpress.com/call-of-cthulhu/

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 1, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dave Syndrome posted:

If anyone can help me, it's this thread.

I'm looking for Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land for Windows.

It's a horror strategy game set in World War I that was released in cooperation with Chaosium in 2012, but the publisher Red Wasp Design has closed shop a few years ago. It was available on Steam for a while, but not anymore.
Usually, I'm pretty good at tracking down obsolete software, but this time - nothing. It's neither on gog.com, nor on archive.org, nor on any of the less reputable sites I checked. There are a few old Russian torrents floating around, but with no seeders.
The game was first released for Android and iOS, and apparently you can find the installation files for those easily, but I want to play it on a real PC, not via emulation.

At this point, it's beginning to feel like the hunt for one of Lovecraft's forbidden tomes: I'm able to catch glimpses here and there, I see traces of those who played it through reviews and YouTube videos, and occasionally I find some dead download links where it used to be available, but it remains ever elusive. eBay has tons of offers for all the other old official Call of Cthulhu games - Shadow of the Comet, Prisoner of Ice, Dark Corners of the Earth and so on - but it's like The Wasted Land never existed.

If anyone has the game, I'd be willing to pay good money for it.
Feel free to PM me.
Thank you.

EDIT: Here are some links to prove I'm not crazy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Cthulhu:_The_Wasted_Land
https://store.steampowered.com/app/251390/Call_of_Cthulhu_The_Wasted_Land/
https://redwaspdesign.wordpress.com/call-of-cthulhu/

Found it, $5 on amazon, I'll accept 10bux for my internet sleuthery.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3TONR6/ref=as_li_tl

Though if you're in the EU or anything.
"Note: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States."

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 1, 2021

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Yardbomb posted:

Found it, $5 on amazon, I'll accept 10bux for my internet sleuthery.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3TONR6/ref=as_li_tl

Though if you're in the EU or anything.
"Note: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the United States."

Unfortunately I'm not in the US. Good catch though, thanks!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

Unfortunately I'm not in the US. Good catch though, thanks!

You might be able to VPN or just browser add-on trick it ideally, cause looking at my other sources for keys, that sucker's like $80+ and up to nearly $100 otherwise.

If that's not possible, if you have a discord or something, I could probably just buy it for you and slap it on google drive or something

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

You might be able to VPN or just browser add-on trick it ideally, cause looking at my other sources for keys, that sucker's like $80+ and up to nearly $100 otherwise.

If that's not possible, if you have a discord or something, I could probably just buy it for you and slap it on google drive or something

That's an incredibly kind offer. Thank you. Someone else has reached out in the meantime and managed to help me.

It's as true today as it was when I joined in 2007: Goons is good peoples.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

That's an incredibly kind offer. Thank you. Someone else has reached out in the meantime and managed to help me.

It's as true today as it was when I joined in 2007: Goons is good peoples.

Good poo poo whoever helped. :thumbsup:

Game seems neat and it's weird that it's so obscure to get now, apparently a developer replied to questions about why it's not on steam etc. anymore and said something like they're making a new game, but I dunno why that'd mean scrubbing that one.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s real. I’ve got it on iPad. Godspeed.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
normally this thread gets really popular in october. this year its practically dead. sad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm so starved of horror games I'm playing Outlast 2

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A dead thread is perhaps the spookiest reality of them all..

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mirello posted:

normally this thread gets really popular in october. this year its practically dead. sad

I mean personally I’ll be checking out House of Ashes as well as the remasters of Fatal Frame 5 and Alan Wake, so. Pretty good October for me!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Alan wake remaster for me. It'll be fun to go through it again after like a decade.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A. Wake and Metroid Dread is sort of horror I guess. FF 5 isn't out until the month is almost over and I played through the original WiiU version this time last year.... I'll probably still pick it up though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sorry, we're all watching six shows about Koreans killing each other for money, too busy to make horror games.

I didn't know Fatal Frame was getting a remaster though, I'm super into that because I have only been able to play broken emulators of the series.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sorry, we're all watching six shows about Koreans killing each other for money, too busy to make horror games.

I didn't know Fatal Frame was getting a remaster though, I'm super into that because I have only been able to play broken emulators of the series.

Only FF5, unfortunately. If the first three were remastered I'd snap em up but my friends and I weren't as enamored with 5.

Would also love to expose my gf to them, she and I met after my friends and I had already played through the series. She would jump right out of her skin with some of the scares in those games (but like in a good way).

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
My plan this month is a Dead Space series playthrough of 1-3 and extraction. I’m currently halfway through 1, and the asteroid shooting part was just as bad as I remembered it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mirello posted:

Funny you say this because the other day I was catching up on this thread and thinking to myself "it'd be nice if someone put out a good horror game".

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
ive been playing the gently caress out of phasmophobia. the update with the new models & behaviors really reinvigorated the game for me & theres supposed to be another big content patch this month

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm setting up a retropie and I wonder, are there any good horror games for the psx beside Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Parasite Eve? Is Dino Crisis any good?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Funny you say this because the other day I was catching up on this thread and thinking to myself "it'd be nice if someone put out a good horror game".

I keep holding out hope that they'll start supporting the Friday the 13th game again and maybe add the stuff that was already finished now that the lawsuit is over.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I’m taking the time to sit down with the original Fatal Frame. I really enjoyed playing the second one this summer and seeing how they polished things between games is really interesting.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Mirello posted:

Probably because the horror community is niche but also incredibly divided on what it actually wants. Why make a horror game?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hel posted:

I'm setting up a retropie and I wonder, are there any good horror games for the psx beside Resident Evil, Silent Hill or Parasite Eve? Is Dino Crisis any good?

Dino Crisis is good. DC 2 is more action-y and also good but less survival horror.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Nerdietalk posted:

I’m taking the time to sit down with the original Fatal Frame. I really enjoyed playing the second one this summer and seeing how they polished things between games is really interesting.

One of the things that kept out to me was, if I remember right, the worst film you get is infinite, but still needs to be replenished at the save points.

That and how absolutely dark it is. My friends and I played through in an unlit basement and we still had problems seeing the environment.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah the first game doesn’t have the infinite photos, which adds a bit more stress to my run.

It never lets up in its grim tone and the game’s darkness is definitely a part of that. It’s engaging but it’s also pretty suffocating at times

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hel posted:

Japanese horror game Iru got a translation this year. Not a goooood game but an interesting first person relic.

Play Echo Night.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember the first game being way harder in general than the sequels too.

Re: Fatal Frame

Those loving monks. :argh:

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Mirello posted:

It’s just had its 20th anniversary so I’m back in Solent Hill 2 for spookymonth. Also picked up Bloodwash to play, and maybe doing Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice in VR.

And more Phasmophobia.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In Sound Mind looks pretty cool.The levels are varied, for something about mental health it doesn't seem to rely on most of those "oooh mental illness is scary spooky dangerous" kinda stuff, the game is also comedic and goofy with the villain taking some clear inspirations from freddy krueger but more cartoonish in his mannerisms. Dunno if it sticks the landing since the person I've been watching play through it hasn't finished it yet so it might end up like some horror games where I'm really enjoying it and then the ending just ruins the whole thing, but so far it has been pretty great. The weapons are also very varied and unique, each one being useful for both solving puzzles and combat and the powerup pills you can find give a lot of incentive to go exploring and solving optional side puzzles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I'll check out the remaster of Fatal Frame 5, but frankly the mission-based gameplay (rather than just...exploring a haunted place) sounds like a change for the worse. Part of the horror of the first three games was the feeling of not being able to escape....the first game was in a giant mansion, the second game was in a haunted village, and the third game was in your dreams (and eventually your apartment). 5's change of "Well, there's this haunted mountain/forest, and we can leave and come back whenever we want" takes a lot of the tension out, for me.

I don't play a lot of spooky games by myself (only together with my partner), but I do have Stories Untold on my deck for this month. Maybe a replay of Umineko as well?