Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Leperflesh posted:

Ummm, gonna go ahead and call that :filez:. You can privately share poo poo, whatever, but please don't link it from the forums.

What? It’s a commercially released game that is already purchasable. Rules aren’t even copyrightable. These companies all put these on BGG and their site, including FFG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

Unfathomable rulebook.

Come on now, sure it looks pretty dense but it can't be that bad.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

What? It’s a commercially released game that is already purchasable. Rules aren’t even copyrightable. These companies all put these on BGG and their site, including FFG.

Rules aren’t but a specifically produced version of them can be.

You’re right in that most companies make their rules freely available now.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Rules aren’t but a specifically produced version of them can be.

You’re right in that most companies make their rules freely available now.

Huh? Are there rulebooks that you can’t freely get on BGG or the publisher’s site?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Kiranamos posted:

Huh? Are there rulebooks that you can’t freely get on BGG or the publisher’s site?

Occasionally. Less often thankfully. Even Games Workshop makes a copy of their rules available on their rulebooks. Naturally you can't get RPG rulebooks for free for the more popular RPG's, but that's understandable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The issue is that we, mods of SA, cannot and should not be expected to do the homework of discovering which game manuals may or may not be available. The fact you had to scan this one and upload it suggests the game manufacturer didn't intend for it to be free. If it contains any art, or any flavor text, or anything else that the USPTO considers copyrightable info, then it's :filez: - and we are interpreting this very broadly to protect the forums and Jeffrey, not just from "could he win a lawsuit" but "would he even be threatened with one, potentially."

We've made exceptions for wildly out-of-print stuff where the manufacturer doesn't even exist any more, but that's as far as that goes. Otherwise, the instruction - straight from the owner is "keep it off our forums."

Leperflesh posted:

:filez:

If a game is VERY out of print and unavailable, you can link to scans of rule books, components, etc. for your own use (e.g., non-commercial uses). Otherwise, do not link it. In border cases, please ask a mod first.

No one cares if your miniatures, wargaming gear, or proxy cards were made by the manufacturer or a helpful third party. However, discussing where goons can get them is out. Keep it off our forums.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kiranamos posted:

There are a few examples, normally for games which are fairly easy to proxy in their entirety, and whose print runs are small enough that the price is hefty enough that piracy becomes attractive.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

There's no harm in it at face value, but it sort of allows the "well you let [x] in, imma post [y]" mentality - so it's understandable and a fair ruling.

Unfathomable is probably going to be super popular, so no doubt there'll be rulebooks and TTS modules out the wazoo soon.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, I happen to be pretty knowledgeable of IP laws, as a consequence of my job (but I'm not a lawyer), but this rule has to be enforceable across the whole site by a hundred mods and dozens of IKs and they need a simple thing they can follow and enforce. So delving into the edge cases, like "game rules are, technically, inventions not artworks so they're patentable but not copyrightable, but anything in those rules that qualifies as creative effort is itself copyrightable, and in any case some game companies are litigious and might choose to send a C&D letter, but which ones?" is all far too much to put on the mod team generally, even those of us who know enough to type a sentence like that.

So I'm not judging you or anyone for sharing poo poo like that, you just can't do it on the live forums. Take it to PMs or a discord or email or something.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://youtu.be/xDsPIjJdSxY

Anyone wants the rulebook pm me or check FFGs site in a week or so lol

Infinitum posted:

There's no harm in it at face value, but it sort of allows the "well you let [x] in, imma post [y]" mentality - so it's understandable and a fair ruling.

Nah. FFg publicly post their rulebooks on their site and BGG and there’s no slippery slope where sharing board game rulebooks leads to people hosting warez software.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 23, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This looks super interesting as a filler/party game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5IeSEg0v2M

For clarity I'm Team IDGAF :filez: everything you want, so thank you for posting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Nah. FFg publicly post their rulebooks on their site and BGG and there’s no slippery slope where sharing board game rulebooks leads to people hosting warez software.

Feel free to link to a manufacturer's official release of game materials at any time, of course.
I assure you, since this has come up in multiple threads over the last year, there is absolutely a grey area that gets closer and closer to black, if you let TG goons post stuff like: Magic card proxy-maker sites, knockoff space marine 3d print files, and yes, game manuals.

If you feel this policy is super dumb, I invite you appeal it to any admin, or Jeffrey, directly.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Magic card proxy-maker sites

There's a guy in my game group who is huge on MTG, competes at tournies and all the rest, and all he has been doing is printing out high quality MTG card copies and sleeving them for the other Magic players in the group because of how :laffo: expensive some Magic cards are.

Like it's absolutely insane the grey market for this sort of poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Even so, it would be better to link to the rulebook on FFG's site than to link to an external file. If they haven't published it yet then there might be a reason for that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are Magic card proxies that are unmistakably not magic cards, and those are, if they're also not ripping off people's art, probably fine. But I'm not spending hours pouring through every proxy maker site to figure that poo poo out, either.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
The point is that this isn't anywhere close to a Grey issue. Bottom Liner is not providing links to any game materials.

Like honestly, was that post reported or was it addressed of your own volition? This is relevant information for how the response gets structured.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
What's actually stupid is that FFG hasn't released it themselves already. This should be on BGG once copies hit Gen Con.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, I got it from Christian Petersen himself (surprised to see him bothering with having a booth at Gencon for former FFG-Gamezenter). I'd imagine they're struggling to keep up with normal operations given the utter dismantling and constant layoffs thanks to Asmodee prepping for their recent sale.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

What's actually stupid is that FFG hasn't released it themselves already. This should be on BGG once copies hit Gen Con.

Apparently it's been delayed to Q4? Got notification from where I ordered here in Australia that it had slipped to at least mid-October.

Might be more of a ~:lol: Pandemic Shipping~ thing than an Asmodee thing tho

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Infinitum posted:

There's a guy in my game group who is huge on MTG, competes at tournies and all the rest, and all he has been doing is printing out high quality MTG card copies and sleeving them for the other Magic players in the group because of how :laffo: expensive some Magic cards are.

Like it's absolutely insane the grey market for this sort of poo poo.

There was once a "CCG" that allowed you to copy and print up as many copies of cards as you wanted. (From Greg Porter, maybe?) A daring idea that I always wondered if it could be made to have longevity.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Infinitum posted:

Apparently it's been delayed to Q4? Got notification from where I ordered here in Australia that it had slipped to at least mid-October.

I saw that too :( Thought it was going to be on the shelf imminently but now we have to wait longer drat it!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Do you guys have any favorite board games that have solo capability, either physical or digital?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mage Knight, Railroad Ink, and Spirit Island for physical.

Through the Ages, Race for the Galaxy, and Railroad Ink for digital. RRI is just a really good chill out puzzle.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Thread just talked about A Feast for Odin which is amazing solo!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cartographers is great solo.

Heroes just adds to the formulae with new rules and new maps :kiss:

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
So, I hadn't played a roll and write before until recently, when Grey Gnome Games released a couple of their old roll and write RPGs for free, called Doom Realms.

https://greygnome.com/free-downloads/

Does anyone have some suggestions of other free roll and writes like these? I had a lot of fun but they're pretty well one shots. Hell, I'd be willing to try just about anything, cause they seem pretty fun as it is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I play solo on my iPad a lot when I travel for work and apps I would recommend are:

- Spirit Island
- Root
- Raiders of the North Sea
- Ganz Schon Clever
- On Tour
- Cartographers
- Railroad Ink
- Star Realms
- Twilight Struggle

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I only have it on PC but I imagine the app for Race for the Galaxy is pretty much identical. It's great because while it can be a fast game irl, playing against ai and not doing any checking of cards yourself means it speeds up to be played in less than 10 minutes if you don't care that much. So you always have time for a game of you have time to kill. It's also ruthlessly difficult.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I play solo on my iPad a lot when I travel for work and apps I would recommend are:

- Spirit Island
- Root
- Raiders of the North Sea
- Ganz Schon Clever
- On Tour
- Cartographers
- Railroad Ink
- Star Realms
- Twilight Struggle

Whoa, SI is free? How much does it cost to remove ads (which i assume i how they monetize it)? Does it include any expansion?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They let you subscribe or buy stuff outright I believe.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The free version of SI doesn't even include all the base game components, you have to pay to get the full base game + extra for the 1st promo pack and expansion (later materials are not available yet.)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Thanks, yeah, I downloaded it to check for myself. The subscription sounds a lot more appealing in that case, i could easily see myself paying for a few months.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I kinda like Roll Player more as solo. The game is pretty much the same, except you never have to wait for anyone to finish their turn.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DashingGentleman posted:

Hey board game thread! I just picked up Dune. (I’m sure it will get to the table, one of these years) The shut up sit down boys tell me it’s a great design but with quite a few awkward elements, and that what the new edition needed was a “directors cut” ruleset of some sort. Is there a generally agreed-upon set of house rules somewhere?

Comes running, panting and sweating profusely, my sweater on backwards and only one sock:

OH YOU'RE INTERESTED IN DUNE?

yeah so, I don't know if it's really like, an established rule set, but we've settled on a bunch that we think works, after like 10 or so games.

We tried it both ways many times and decided to always play with our house rule:

Butlerian Jihad: No phones at the table makes for a much more fun experience. Not so much people not paying attention, but having private WhatsApp groups when you're in an alliances. The problem is, there's just SO MUCH to consider that inevitably it ends up consuming way too much time. Much better to just say something out loud, and have everyone else hear it, and not know for sure if it's a bluff. Even your ally, lol. The Atreides player is the only one allowed to take notes, but has to be with a notepad.

We only play 7 rounds, not ten. It's the perfect number for our group, it's always the point where everything comes to a head, and if no one has pulled it off by then, they're out of resources and guild win anyway. I really can't see it ever going to ten rounds and not really dragging.

We play with the advanced rules, with two spice blows and the having to pay spice for full combat strength. It's confusing, but it's not nearly as bad as it reads. The double spice blow thing means you need to have an A pile and a B pile, and always deal to A first then B etc.

We play that when you pay someone spice for bribes / deals etc you put it in front of their shield, and they don't get it until Mentat pause. This stops players from doing a bash the leader thing at the end. The only exception is the Emperor can pay people directly, to make sure his alliance still works during the bidding phase. (And a slight buff).

If you get the expansion there's a lot more vague stuff that we've house ruled too, but I honestly wouldn't bother picking it up for a while, because it's a bit overwhelming until you're really really familiar with the main game!

I'll try and think of some others

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you guys have any favorite board games that have solo capability, either physical or digital?

There’s a couple of specifically solo boardgames out there. A few of them are wargames but not all, check out Hollandspiele and GMT.

I have been playing one recently that I’ve enjoyed called Under Falling Skies which was made by CGE (vlaada’s company) and it has a space invaders feel. You activate spaces in your base with dice, with the pips on the dice giving the strength of the action, but the pips also are how far the aliens move down towards your base to attack it. It’s a very neat dynamic and very evocative with moving the pieces towards your base and the mothership descending a row every turn as your doom timer. There’s also a campaign with a fair bit of replay and some good modular difficulty (important for tuning the experience). It’s also a fairly small footprint and a game can take 15 min or so, I have it set up next to my computer and I’ve played a round over a night of little pauses in whatever else i was doing.

I don’t know if it’s a full $30 experience, but it’s good trade material after you are done with it, or just sell it for $15 to a friend so they can try it out. I got it in a trade and I was satisfied with it.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 25, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fellis posted:

I don’t know if it’s a full $30 experience, but it’s good trade material after you are done with it, or just sell it for $15 to a friend so they can try it out. I got it in a trade and I was satisfied with it.

Then that friend can sell it on for $7.50, to someone who will offload it for $3.75. After that it get trickier.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's a print-n-play version of Under Falling Skies available, if you just want to try it out.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I think Under Falling Skies is great value for money. The base game by itself might not be enough to hold your attention for ages but if the core concept grabs you at all there is a lot of extra campaign content in the box that mixes things up and gives you new challenges. It adds extra spaces to place your dice with new abilities, new enemies, new cities and a bunch of other stuff to give you more content.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but I got Hadrian's Wall a couple of days ago and I've already got 4 solo plays in. Its really good at hitting that dopamine switch in my brain that is triggered from comboing things. You fill in the tracks to get more things to fill in more tracks etc.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I bought a jigsaw puzzle for my mom to get free shipping on unfathomable

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

!Klams posted:

Dune stuff

TYVM, made a note of this.
Having only read through the rules, the “battles cost spice” variant seemed like a bit much. But then some other “advanced” rules seem really cool and essential - like why would you ever play the bene gesserit without the advisor mechanic or the fremen without the sandstorm weather alert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Would single-player computer games work, in this case?