Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

FCKGW posted:

Plus it's not a browser made by an advertising company.

Psst. Apple is an advertising company, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

If you’re OK with Firefox storing passwords within itself instead of using the Keychain… Firefox is there for you. Reliable, more efficient than Chrome*, not owned by an advertising company…

*I suspect it stacks up pretty well with Safari but haven’t seen stats

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If it allows you to even select the OPTION to not open new pages in tabs instead of new windows then I'm down

(gently caress you Chrome)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That’s a checkbox right in the first screen of the preferences :D

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Safari is good for 3 more hours of battery at least over chrome on my MBP, probably more than that on the Air.
Yes it's installed but unless salesforce or something else that requires it needs to be open right that minute, CMD+Q.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quackles posted:

That’s a checkbox right in the first screen of the preferences :D

I assume you're talking about Firefox, because with Chrome I have to install an extension to hack that behavior back into it. God I hate tabs

And the fact that only Chrome performs adequately on JS-heavy pages, or like if there's a textarea that you paste more than a few hundred bytes of text into, with Chrome you can arrow-key zoom around and search and type and everything, but in Safari 20 years later it still feels like every keystroke is reevaluating an entire gigabyte-long array recursively or some poo poo. And Google Earth and a million other things just chug in Safari. It pisses me off so much that Chrome is the only option for heavy dev-ish use, if for no other reason than dogfood — I want to be using what the bulk of Mac users will be using

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 23, 2021

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
https://issafarithenewie.com/

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

It pisses me off so much that Chrome is the only option for heavy dev-ish use, if for no other reason than dogfood — I want to be using what the bulk of Mac users will be using

I webdev on Firefox anyway :v:

Seriously, though, I use Opera as a Chrome substitute for testing. That way I don’t have to worry about Google stealing my pants.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Quackles posted:

If you’re OK with Firefox storing passwords within itself instead of using the Keychain… Firefox is there for you. Reliable, more efficient than Chrome*, not owned by an advertising company…

*I suspect it stacks up pretty well with Safari but haven’t seen stats

You can also just use a 3rd party cross platform password manager like 1password. Something like that will integrate better with mobile (whether it be Android or iOS) better than Lockwise last I checked.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

quote:

* Vibration API
yeah i think i'm ok with this one

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah and Safari does support date/time inputs as of Safari 14 which is like a year old so they should probably update that list

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I don't know what any of this poo poo is. Checkmate

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's probably all garbage that allows web "developers" to make pages dogshit slow and resource intensive

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CygnusTM posted:

They have a small ad network for the app store.

They are not, by any measure, an advertising company. Meaning collect and sell advertising based on aggregate user data.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was kinda expecting that to be a long list of stuff and laughed when I scrolled down and it revealed maybe 2 more things. What a waste of a website.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

no one cares, we just post

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
some diehard safari people in here

one day you will realize that the best browser is... vivaldi

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Safari is fantastic if you want to browse and be sure you don’t watch any webm videos by accident.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WebM is also supported in Safari so you can browse your favorite 4chan boards with it

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

CygnusTM posted:

They’re really not but ok. Like these are all public companies, we can see where their revenue comes from.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 24, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Edge 4 lyfe.

I switched from Safari because of the lack of custom keyword searches - I don't know if they ever reintroduced them. At this point I've just gotten used to vertical tabs.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
What are custom keyword searches?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There’s an extension for that. I use DDG as my default search engine and have “g” as a keyword to switch to google.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

Edge 4 lyfe.

I switched from Safari because of the lack of custom keyword searches - I don't know if they ever reintroduced them. At this point I've just gotten used to vertical tabs.
http://safarikeywordsearch.aurlien.net/

Now works on iOS too apparently!

FCKGW posted:

There’s an extension for that. I use DDG as my default search engine and have “g” as a keyword to switch to google.
Course DuckDuckGo and their own integrated shortcuts are what I got to using once Safari Keyword Search was broken way back, along with heavy iOS/iPad usage.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

FCKGW posted:

doesn't duckduckgo just do that itself if you put "g!" (I think) in front of your query?

e:f;b

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Oh drat. Thank you. I used to use DuckDuckGo for this, but my work’s internet filter blocks DDG. So I’ve had to live without on my phone for years.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

vkeios posted:

I used to use DuckDuckGo for this, but my work’s internet filter blocks DDG

What the gently caress

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mandatory third-party data harvesting, it's simple employment boilerplate

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Anybody else had problems with crashes with the new Safari update? I've had several times more Safari crashes since the last update than I did the entire rest of the time I've had the machine.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

jokes posted:

What the gently caress
The benefits of being a public employee. The state keeps me safe from duck themed search engines.

Also Reddit is blocked but not old.reddit.com.

Oh and we have to keep two iMacs in this office. The newer one is a 2017 model I believe, that I use for most computer things. The other is a 2009 iMac that IT lets us have Java installed on it that I need for exactly one thing.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I hate the new tab coloring so much I’m trying out the new compact safari design and living ok with it so far.

But this “color match the UI to the page” makes no loving sense. Why should the browser UI blend into the page as if the website has browser controls sitting in the header? I can understand wanting UI to fade into the background to let content be prominent but integrating UI into the content is the worst way to do it.

Edit: And to really use tab groups you need to have the sidebar open a lot? So you have a huge chunk of the window that is UI grey just sitting there distracting from the content anyway? None of this is cohesive.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Yeah but I kind of hate the idea of an extension scanning everything I put in the address bar. The only extensions I use are Adblock and a password manager.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Violator posted:

Edit: And to really use tab groups you need to have the sidebar open a lot? So you have a huge chunk of the window that is UI grey just sitting there distracting from the content anyway? None of this is cohesive.

I find it completely baffling that it still doesn't seem to be possible to shrink Safari's massive sidebar and make it smaller.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 25, 2021

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Violator posted:

⌘ ⌥ up-down arrow lets you cycle through tab groups, so once I set everything up with frequently used groups near the top it went well. Closed the sidebar and haven’t opened it since.

I did have a lot of crashes at first and they were all when I pulled a browser tab out of safari and either left two instances of safari running on the same desktop or tried to pull the tab to another desktop. Was crashing like 60% of the time then!

Eventually just kept a single instance of safari running on one desktop and even with 15+ huge tab groups it runs fine with no problems so I guess that’s what it’s optimized for.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Paladin posted:

⌘ ⌥ up-down arrow lets you cycle through tab groups, so once I set everything up with frequently used groups near the top it went well. Closed the sidebar and haven’t opened it since.

Ah, once I can get some memory muscle used to this it should be helpful. Thanks!

Edit: Things still seem half-baked, though.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

NuclearWinterUK posted:

I find it completely baffling that it still doesn't seem to be possible to shrink Safari's massive sidebar and make it smaller.

This only works in fullscreen, but with it collapsed, if you move your cursor to the left edge of the screen, it pops out temporarily.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

So Apple ended up replacing my logic board and Touch ID board; not sure if they actually diagnosed the ram or graphics card as the culprit for my frequent kernel panic crashes or if they just tend to go this route if someone under warranty complains. Whole thing was very fast - chatted support Tuesday, had the box delivered Wednesday, Apple got it Thursday and I got it back yesterday. So far so good.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I like having my Dock visible but I hate how the windows manager treats the area where the Dock is as unusable screen space. IE double clicking on Safari's menu/top bar maximizes Safari up to the Dock. When the Dock is fully hidden then it doesn't do this and takes up the entire screen. Is there a way to make it so that my Dock is always visible and windows just maximize under the Dock as if it wasn't there?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Violator posted:

If you have the Sidebar button in your toolbar, it has a drop-down menu to switch between tab groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is 1Password still cool and good for Mac and iOS devices? I don’t mind paying for good stuff.