Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pillowpants posted:

Just got told i was overqualified for something...That was oddly a good feeling

Is it because you were genuinely overqualified and only applied for the position because you're growing desperate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is it because you were genuinely overqualified and only applied for the position because you're growing desperate?

I didn’t apply for this one. They reached out to me about the Director role, but then made an offer before my first real interview. They asked if I wanted to interview for a lesser role and I said yes….. I was overqualified for the lesser role but it was the same pay for less work so I focused on it for the better work life balance

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Not sure if this belongs here or the Grad School thread but i'll ask anyway. I'm nearing the end of my PhD and need to start looking for jobs. Decided straight off the bat there was no way I was going in to academia and just wanted to do interesting R&D work in industry. My advisor has plenty of connections so I'm not worried too much about finding an interview, but I've never had a proper interview for a full-time job so I have no real idea what to expect. What kind of questions should I even ask (besides technical questions) them when they ask if I have questions?

To avoid doxxing myself I took the resume I built and tried to anonymize all but the most general things (field of study, grades). I'd just like to know if the general structure of the resume could use improvement.

https://ibb.co/8DFgccB
https://ibb.co/PTLN5Dk

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shipon posted:

Not sure if this belongs here or the Grad School thread but i'll ask anyway. I'm nearing the end of my PhD and need to start looking for jobs. Decided straight off the bat there was no way I was going in to academia and just wanted to do interesting R&D work in industry. My advisor has plenty of connections so I'm not worried too much about finding an interview, but I've never had a proper interview for a full-time job so I have no real idea what to expect. What kind of questions should I even ask (besides technical questions) them when they ask if I have questions?

To avoid doxxing myself I took the resume I built and tried to anonymize all but the most general things (field of study, grades). I'd just like to know if the general structure of the resume could use improvement.

https://ibb.co/8DFgccB
https://ibb.co/PTLN5Dk

If you graduated summa in engineering and have a materials PhD from a UC school you have it made. What questions to ask depends on the place and nature of the work. If you go to a smaller company or startup the questions are very different than being the 19th materials PhD at apple.

Where you wanna go?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
My go-to question in an interview is “What is the most frustrating part of your job?” or “What is the biggest challenge to accomplishing your goals?”

It really seems to put people at ease when they get an opportunity to vent a little about their jobs and you get some good info about any problems you might face in the role

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I just found out this week that my resume is apparently completely un-indicative of my work experience. I'm teaching a college class and the coordinator basically told me "Wow, you didn't mention X thing or X role on your resume and I would've given you a longer stint/residency period if I knew". I basically cut down my combo art CV / resume to just under two pages, but I smooshed all my gallery showings in a tiny paragraph and cut out a lot of my work experience, like TA-ing. My question is: Is it appropriate, specifically in academia/the arts, to have a CV that's 3 to 4 pages? I can't keep squishing poo poo in there and I'm incredibly worried I'll look like a tool or a poser if it's 3 or 4 pages. I've got about 10 years' work experience in my field but only done the academia thing for 2.

I feel dumb as poo poo because I know I need to cut stuff but I keep getting rejected from roles because the stuff I cut turned out to be important :saddowns:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Yes my CV when I worked in academia was edit: actually 18 pages

You put everything in. Everything. Every presentation, every committee you’ve served on, all of your service, etc.

For a Dean level position in an easier publishing field I would see CVs 50 pages or more.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 25, 2021

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Upgrade posted:

Yes my CV when I worked in academia was edit: actually 18 pages

You put everything in. Everything. Every presentation, every committee you’ve served on, all of your service, etc.

For a Dean level position in an easier publishing field I would see CVs 50 pages or more.

Well poo poo, there's my problem! Time to update the resume!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've been working on my resume, looking at an informatics sort of position (it's a very vague listing) and wanted to thank the OP. I still had 'objectives' on my resume as well as my DOB for some reason.

Is it a faux pas to also have 'key skills' on your resume? I always felt like it was pointless. I work in critical care, front line staff for context. My 'key skills' are listed as "Problem Solving, Critical Thinking, Attention to Detail, Teamwork, Peer Education, Punctuality", which doesn't feel personalized enough to be worth including.

Deadite posted:

My go-to question in an interview is “What is the most frustrating part of your job?” or “What is the biggest challenge to accomplishing your goals?”

It really seems to put people at ease when they get an opportunity to vent a little about their jobs and you get some good info about any problems you might face in the role

Be honest - how much of the benefit of you asking those questions is to figure out if the applicant is the type of person who complains a lot or who has unrealistic expectations etc? I've always been under the impression you should never be negative about anything in an interview - especially if it's related to a previous or current position. If asked those questions in an interview I would reply with some BS about how it's frustrating to treat people who haven't been vaccinated (takes the focus off my own position and appeals to general sentiment), and that the biggest challenge to accomplishing my goals is the financial limitations of the strained healthcare system (shows understanding of higher level goings-on and decentralizes the challenge from myself).

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Oh sorry, that is the question I ask the interviewer when I’m an applicant. Seems to work the best if there is a panel interviewing you in my experience

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deadite posted:

Oh sorry, that is the question I ask the interviewer when I’m an applicant. Seems to work the best if there is a panel interviewing you in my experience

Oh sorry! Misunderstood. My greatest skill is my comprehension yes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just bumping - sorry but I'm trying to get my affairs in order really quick here for an opportunity that presented itself:

Is it considered alright to put your references on a separate page? My resume is down to one page and I can't reasonably fit my 4-6 references on that page without depreciating the value of the whole thing.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I've always had "references available upon request" and it's never been an issue.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

VelociBacon posted:

Just bumping - sorry but I'm trying to get my affairs in order really quick here for an opportunity that presented itself:

Is it considered alright to put your references on a separate page? My resume is down to one page and I can't reasonably fit my 4-6 references on that page without depreciating the value of the whole thing.

In 600+ applications I've reviewed <5% have references on them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

bee posted:

I've always had "references available upon request" and it's never been an issue.

Yeah, its probably best just to say this. Otherwise a 2nd page of references is fine if it's industry standard to include them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks everyone. I'll make a second document for references. It's absolutely expected in my industry (niche healthcare role) to provide references and I have fantastic ones so the other document works just fine for me.

e: What is thread opinion on the references document following exactly the same styling as the resume? IE with the same header with my name/contact info on it, then references underneath as I would otherwise be listing experience/education. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks everyone. I'll make a second document for references. It's absolutely expected in my industry (niche healthcare role) to provide references and I have fantastic ones so the other document works just fine for me.

e: What is thread opinion on the references document following exactly the same styling as the resume? IE with the same header with my name/contact info on it, then references underneath as I would otherwise be listing experience/education. Appreciate everyone's feedback.

Seems fine.

Also if you're a physician or similar, much like academia the one page resume rule is actually the opposite and most doctors will go for a more traditional CV listing everything they've ever done. This is not as universal as in academia though in my limited experience.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I had a bit of a weird resume/cover letter issue come up today. I mention pastoral skills, roughly understood as care and emotional support skills in an institutional setting. I have spent most of my life in a country/setting where these were just called "pastoral skills." However, I'm now in North America and someone gave me a note that I should only use "pastoral skills" if I'm literally a priest.

So... what do North Americans call pastoral skills if not "pastoral skills?"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Hand Knit posted:

I had a bit of a weird resume/cover letter issue come up today. I mention pastoral skills, roughly understood as care and emotional support skills in an institutional setting. I have spent most of my life in a country/setting where these were just called "pastoral skills." However, I'm now in North America and someone gave me a note that I should only use "pastoral skills" if I'm literally a priest.

(USA) I've never heard the phrase "pastoral skills" before. Whats the job you're applying for?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I have seen many resumes from actual pastors looking to leave the church and never seen the phrase "pastoral skills" either.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

"Soft skills" maybe? Ive literally never heard of pastoral skills before either.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

(USA) I've never heard the phrase "pastoral skills" before. Whats the job you're applying for?

A position that will involve both dealing with marginalized people about difficult topics and having to keep confidentiality. So the "care and emotional support" stuff has some specific value beyond just being part of the soft skills package.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hand Knit posted:

A position that will involve both dealing with marginalized people about difficult topics and having to keep confidentiality. So the "care and emotional support" stuff has some specific value beyond just being part of the soft skills package.

Counseling skills

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I should just be upfront about the fact that I had no idea what I wanted to do out of college right? Is there a better way to try to portray myself as a late bloomer?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Upgrade posted:

Counseling skills

Yeah, this seems like the route. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

Seems fine.

Also if you're a physician or similar, much like academia the one page resume rule is actually the opposite and most doctors will go for a more traditional CV listing everything they've ever done. This is not as universal as in academia though in my limited experience.

I'm a critical care respiratory therapist, previously trained as a paramedic, with a broader health science degree, applying for an informatics job that is part systems analysis/optimization and part education for people about the system (it's one of the info systems we use in hospitals to access patient lab results, imaging, etc). It's nowhere near the kind of individual detail I'd need if I was a physician but there's a little more going on than say if I was newly graduated with just the diploma for respiratory therapy. I think I managed to fit everything well enough on the page. I'm just debating whether or not I should use the same header on my references as I did with my resume. Here's both documents if anyone has any stylistic points to make. Currently I have both in the same .doc to make things easier to work on but I'll be splitting it up into two.

I do wonder if the use of color is maybe a bit too cute but it actually reflects a lot of the corporate stylistic choices I see in my field and in my overall health authority which has a huge MBA boner for the fact we're on the coast, so I think it's appropriate.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 27, 2021

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I would get rid of the color just in the sense of uploading your resume into systems which ingest it into other systems.

Same reason I'd get rid of the phone and email graphic.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I'm a critical care respiratory therapist, previously trained as a paramedic, with a broader health science degree, applying for an informatics job that is part systems analysis/optimization and part education for people about the system (it's one of the info systems we use in hospitals to access patient lab results, imaging, etc). It's nowhere near the kind of individual detail I'd need if I was a physician but there's a little more going on than say if I was newly graduated with just the diploma for respiratory therapy. I think I managed to fit everything well enough on the page. I'm just debating whether or not I should use the same header on my references as I did with my resume. Here's both documents if anyone has any stylistic points to make. Currently I have both in the same .doc to make things easier to work on but I'll be splitting it up into two.

I do wonder if the use of color is maybe a bit too cute but it actually reflects a lot of the corporate stylistic choices I see in my field and in my overall health authority which has a huge MBA boner for the fact we're on the coast, so I think it's appropriate.
There's a ton of wasted space here. The years can be right-aligned on the same line as the job titles/education stuff instead of taking up a line of their own. The margins can be shrunken further. The "Experience and "Education" headers don't need to be so big. As for the References, each person should get a single line containing all relevant info and no more than that. Use tables with invisible borders to organize them neatly. This isn't gonna save you space but you should also consider rewording some bullets to make them punchier and more direct ("Enjoyed responsibility", "engage in", "participates in" have the effect of diminishing your actual role)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Great points, thanks.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I nearly pulled out of an interview I had scheduled on Monday, instead I decided to go through with it and now they're checking my references. Please for the love of god let me get a new job....
Still haven't heard back...not a good sign.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Still haven't heard back...not a good sign.
I didn't get the job. They sent me a very standard rejection letter after all this, even inviting me to follow them on social media.

My references aren't happy about it either; I honestly have never had my references checked without getting an offer. I don't think any of them said anything untoward.

It was nice to fantasize about having a future though!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Weirdest pre-screen for a job yet.

They wanted me to login to some portal, record a video introduction, and answer a few questions as a recorded video. Mind you, never actually video chatting with another person. Just stream of consciousness talking into your webcam.

I emailed them back politely declining and saying I wasnt interested in being a part of that process. I'm sure it made no difference to them but it felt good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I didn't get the job. They sent me a very standard rejection letter after all this, even inviting me to follow them on social media.

My references aren't happy about it either; I honestly have never had my references checked without getting an offer. I don't think any of them said anything untoward.

It was nice to fantasize about having a future though!

I know this is small consolation but likely you were very, very close. Take it to mean you have the right idea about next step/what you are qualified for.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's been a year and a half now. Every time I've gotten my hopes up it gets squashed just like this. I'm losing the will to keep going.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Isn't the proper response to this to be 'please keep my resume on file and send me an offer next time you have an opening?'

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

I did the online assessment/test for Amazon a week ago after getting the email about it as "step 1" and haven't heard anything since. Are FAANG companies that slow, or should I just assume I didn't get the job?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I recently went through the Amazon process and it felt rushed and haphazard, not slow. I got an email from my recruiter the day after the online assessment.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
How long do people normally spend on coding assessments? I just finished one today that I sunk a good 10 hrs into but it was the first I ever did and I really went all out. It was to creat a simple api wrapper & CLI but I pretty much had to relearn pytest and some other stuff.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

For senior level roles, I'm saying no to anything over 4 hours. I had a well known company give me a week to complete a take-home that easily would have taken me 8 hours or more and I just declined, but sent them links to public repos and tutorials I have written. They didn't care, but it felt good to say "no thanks" to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Weirdest pre-screen for a job yet.

They wanted me to login to some portal, record a video introduction, and answer a few questions as a recorded video. Mind you, never actually video chatting with another person. Just stream of consciousness talking into your webcam.

I emailed them back politely declining and saying I wasnt interested in being a part of that process. I'm sure it made no difference to them but it felt good.

Tell me you’re a computer toucher without tellin me you touch computers

I’m with you though, interviewing requires both sides to show a little good faith time commitment. You made a resume and applied, now it’s their turn.