Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Whatever it was, it fixed itself

Sereri posted:

Another Awful.apk success story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Hi, I hate the app and it's much worse than anything I've ever seen.

Anyway, I have a feature request: when I'm uploading images on Imgur from the app, I often wonder if I'll break tables for people who do their posting on a stationary posting station. So I was wondering if it would be possible to show the image dimensions on the upload screen? Half the time in just reuploading poo poo from Google or screenshots, and I honestly don't know the size.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Can't speak for the app, but you can't break the tables on the forums anymore. The image gets resized dynamically in your browser. Give it a try, shrink your browser down and you'll see it react.

That being said, yeah, probably should still avoid posting gigantic images. Using timg works well. Still, your feature request sounds nice. :)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Honestly, I've barely used the actual website for years now, I'm exclusively posting on this app.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I only use the website when I am at work pretending to work, want to post a new thread (rare) or need to push the probation button (thankfully also rare)

App is v good and much appreciated

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
people can make new threads?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

other people posted:

It's not recommended, it usually goes poorly

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

other people posted:

You can't?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
For a while I've used the imgur functionality and pasting in my own imgur links, but didn't realize the app actually uploads whatever photo I pasted in (I thought it was just a way to embed some kind of imgur tag...), so now I have photos in my own imgur account, and these random imgur photos that were uploaded on my behalf through the app.

Do we have any control over those photos, or is it basically uploaded using without being tagged to an account? I don't think I've ever uploaded anything stupid I'd want deleted, but just curious how the images are managed.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Bank posted:

For a while I've used the imgur functionality and pasting in my own imgur links, but didn't realize the app actually uploads whatever photo I pasted in (I thought it was just a way to embed some kind of imgur tag...), so now I have photos in my own imgur account, and these random imgur photos that were uploaded on my behalf through the app.

Do we have any control over those photos, or is it basically uploaded using without being tagged to an account? I don't think I've ever uploaded anything stupid I'd want deleted, but just curious how the images are managed.

They're not.

It's basically like attachments but hosted off-site. Once it's uploaded it's out of (y)our control.
In theory it would be possible to save the token we get during the upload that can be used to delete the images but I don't like the logistics of that.

So just don't upload pictures of your genitals or worse please.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

BonHair posted:

Anyway, I have a feature request: when I'm uploading images on Imgur from the app, I often wonder if I'll break tables for people who do their posting on a stationary posting station. So I was wondering if it would be possible to show the image dimensions on the upload screen? Half the time in just reuploading poo poo from Google or screenshots, and I honestly don't know the size.

Imgur has a hidden resize feature built in. Putting s, m, h or l before the .jpg in an imgur url will resize the image for you. For Example:

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRs.jpg[/img]

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRm.jpg[/img]

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRl.jpg[/img]

code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Kck8gzRh.jpg[/img]

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BonHair posted:

Large images have not broken tables for many years - they automatically scale to the width of the browser. So it's cool that there is an answer to this, but you also need not worry too much!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So not sure if this is an app or os thing, but would it be possible to always have the web search option when highlighting and clicking on a word or phrase?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think that's an OS thing because I can web search anything I highlight in Awful App.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I think that's an OS thing because I can web search anything I highlight in Awful App.

Even when making a post?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Zil posted:

Even when making a post?

Apparently not. I didn't notice because I don't post much, and also because I've never felt the need to search my own posts. Like, I don't need to look up my own words, I'm the one who put them there.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Apparently not. I didn't notice because I don't post much, and also because I've never felt the need to search my own posts. Like, I don't need to look up my own words, I'm the one who put them there.

Good point, it's more of searching either the correct spelling or for searching something in a quoted post while editing your own.

I know extreme edge case, but I'm high and making questionable posts.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zil posted:

Good point, it's more of searching either the correct spelling or for searching something in a quoted post while editing your own.

I know extreme edge case, but I'm high and making questionable posts.

Spellcheck is obviously handled by the keyboard and, here's the thing, I think Gboard actually does have a search function built in for just such an occasion only I've never used the feature to tell you how it works. Researching now shows Google removed the feature in June. Sort of baffling why, it was tucked away in such a place that it wasn't intrusive but easily accessible though I never used it for the reasons YggiDee stated.

You can long-press > Web Search before hitting the quote button and, though inconvenient, save the reply draft and leave to go back and do the same after the fact.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Wait, what tables

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ocean of Milk posted:

Wait, what tables

Back in the day if you posted a large image, it would break the formatting of the thread to the point where users would have to scroll horizontally to read the text. Essentially, the sides of the thread would grow to match the image size. Now the image gets dynamically scaled down in your browser to match the size of the tables (taken from your browser resolution.) It's much better. I'm glad I never had to mod during that time.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My favorite example of that was when somebody (pre-2010, so my monitor was 1280x1024) somehow had a 2200x1700 avatar, displayed at full size.

The one time I saw it, he had sniped the top of a page in a thread about avatars. His post, squeezed well over to the right in a narrow column, was simply "I'm not changing it."

The avatar was a photo of a horse, circled in red and labeled HORSE in large red letters.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Minor bug report: if you choose to show only the posts from one person in a thread, the page numbers at the bottom still show the thread's full page count. Go to a page where that poster's posts run out and you'll get a message saying the page number wasn't found.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Internet Explorer posted:

Back in the day if you posted a large image, it would break the formatting of the thread to the point where users would have to scroll horizontally to read the text. Essentially, the sides of the thread would grow to match the image size. Now the image gets dynamically scaled down in your browser to match the size of the tables (taken from your browser resolution.) It's much better. I'm glad I never had to mod during that time.

Thanks, my shock was more with the fact that these are literal html tables being used for formatting.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ocean of Milk posted:

Thanks, my shock was more with the fact that these are literal html tables being used for formatting.

This forum pre-dates Internet Explorer 6.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ocean of Milk posted:

Isn't a forum thread pretty much the perfect use-case for tables?

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

Dabir posted:

Isn't a forum thread pretty much the perfect use-case for tables?

The metaphor is broken: If you model posts as rows in a giant table (where user info is in the first column and the post content in the second), I'd wager that you are not going to have a fun time convincing those "rows" that actually on mobile you want the username first and then the content below that.
Plus every second row in your table is a bunch of buttons and not a post at all! Not what tables are supposed to be about.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ocean of Milk posted:

The metaphor is broken: If you model posts as rows in a giant table (where user info is in the first column and the post content in the second), I'd wager that you are not going to have a fun time convincing those "rows" that actually on mobile you want the username first and then the content below that.
Plus every second row in your table is a bunch of buttons and not a post at all! Not what tables are supposed to be about.

So you don't put user info and posts in separate columns.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I suggest an option to have a warning popup when you click a link from one SA thread to another. Sometimes people quote posts from other threads and it's pretty easy for me to click the quoted post, then reply in the linked thread without noticing I'm posting in a different thread than I was reading. This is an issue because different threads and different forums have very different rules for what are acceptable posts.

It would be nice to toggle on an option to warn when opening cross-thread links, and see a popup that says:

Hey! You have switched threads. You are now reading
Thread title
in
forum
subforum

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

I suggest an option to have a warning popup when you click a link from one SA thread to another. Sometimes people quote posts from other threads and it's pretty easy for me to click the quoted post, then reply in the linked thread without noticing I'm posting in a different thread than I was reading. This is an issue because different threads and different forums have very different rules for what are acceptable posts.

It would be nice to toggle on an option to warn when opening cross-thread links, and see a popup that says:

Hey! You have switched threads. You are now reading
Thread title
in
forum
subforum

Similarly a "you're going to X thread is that ok? Y/N" prompt would stop it from loving up your last read post number in long threads you are slowly reading through

I've lost my place in thousand page threads more than once because of this

That would be a great feature

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The Bloop posted:

Similarly a "you're going to X thread is that ok? Y/N" prompt would stop it from loving up your last read post number in long threads you are slowly reading through

I've lost my place in thousand page threads more than once because of this

That would be a great feature

Yeah, it'd be nice to have second bookmark per thread. So you could mark your place reading through a megathread but also mark your place on current posts. But I know the forums only store one bookmark so it'd have to be app side, and it's a pretty niche demand. There's only 2 or 3 threads I'd use it on, like the crappy construction thread.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have second bookmark per thread. So you could mark your place reading through a megathread but also mark your place on current posts. But I know the forums only store one bookmark so it'd have to be app side, and it's a pretty niche demand. There's only 2 or 3 threads I'd use it on, like the crappy construction thread.

I've asked about a second bookmark in the astral forum and I realize that can be a lot easier said than done for the forums but a warning from the app might at least be a workaround

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
A potential solution would be to pop up your warning window and give you an option that says "Open this thread but reset to my current bookmark when I leave it". The app could then just store the postid from the current bookmark and call the php action to set the stored postid as last read when it sees you exit the thread.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Maybe this doesn't do what I think but how do I stop the hamburger menu from pulling out when I swipe back on the left of the screen? This is one of the worst things Android apps do, the edges are for system navigation not loving menus.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The horizontal swipe navigation is separate from the pull menu thing. It's where you swipe right to get to the subforum/bookmarks menu and again to get to the forum index.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Don't swipe all the way from the edge, at least on android. You can swipe back to your bookmarks or whatever starting to swipe from mid-screen.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Duodecimal posted:

Don't swipe all the way from the edge, at least on android. You can swipe back to your bookmarks or whatever starting to swipe from mid-screen.

Yea that's good enough, thanks

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm having an issue with embedded YouTube videos glitching out as shown in the screenshot below. It only happens in the Awful App and not when I'm using the YouTube app.

Does anyone know how I can fix it? I need to watch my orangutan asmr, goddammit!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It seems to be the same problem that other Samsung S10 users are reporting with embedded YouTube videos in the reddit app here: https://www.reddit.com/r/redditisfun/comments/pkxhw8/youtube_links_playing_scrambled_video_again/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

It looks like the reddit fix was to "use the native in-app YouTube player when the YouTube app is installed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ever since I updated my phone(pixel 4a) yesterday, the bottom post doesn't always load all the way. Like it will either be a blank post or only the text will be there and a linked picture will be missing. A refresh temporarily fixes it but it is super weird.