Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Ninja Perfect Dodge could be used on two notable mechanics in ARR. T9 Nael dives and Titan Landslides. For that matter, the BLM shield used to be two different abilities and the physical one could absorb two physical hits and had a gigantic 60 second duration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Heroes Gauntlet really made me want a Berserker class tbh, that fight is so cool. Not with the old "just attack" gimmick, but a DPS class with a big two-handed weapon like that. All the bosses in that duty did a great job of communicating the class fantasy, but from the other side. Zipping across the battlefield, casting big powerful magic AOEs and summoning zombies, smashing giant craters into the ground and swinging so hard you hit everything in the whole arena.

The whole thing is such a cool concept, executed extremely well.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I absolutely want a huge two handed dps at some point

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Endwalker has you covered my friend!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

A Roe Monk?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

multijoe posted:

Endwalker has you covered my friend!

No but that’s slice slice not smash smash or cleave cleave so gently caress that poo poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sorry, Guts Job is already a tank.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah I very much want a dps version of both warrior and dark knight and it is sad we aren't getting berserker.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
I would love an 'Armsman'-type job who's job weapon is a polearm. Could get some truly outrageous halberds/glaives/etc. with that.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Beastmaster-but-tank
Rework bard to healer (hell this fits with lore), give archer the arcanist treatment and double job it with a fresh new bow dps. Maybe with a mini dragon pet or some poo poo
Geomancer/debuff/green mage would own and fill the void of summoners losing dot stuff

and on the never ever gonna happen front, intra-job role specs would rule but probably also break the game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hyper Inferno posted:

Ninja Perfect Dodge could be used on two notable mechanics in ARR. T9 Nael dives and Titan Landslides. For that matter, the BLM shield used to be two different abilities and the physical one could absorb two physical hits and had a gigantic 60 second duration.

Perfect Dodge also let you skip one of the earthshakers in t13. Got some good use out of that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want a big ol' hammer class. I wanna be Dedede or a Kirkhammer hunter but in FFXIV

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd argue that things like Berserker, Geomancer and Ranger being DPS jobs based on Marauder, Conjurer and Archer were on the design table until SMN/SCH made the devs realize making jobs split off the base class is a balancing nightmare and then they did away with classes entirely sooooooo

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Macaluso posted:

I want a big ol' hammer class. I wanna be Dedede or a Kirkhammer hunter but in FFXIV

I'm on the ff1 WHM hammertrain. Fuel your blood lily with the power of smash

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

To be fair, expecting the next class to be necromancer made some sense when we thought they counted mranged and pranged as two separate categories for parity, rather than one category for all ranged dps.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Grimoire posted:

I'm on the ff1 WHM hammertrain. Fuel your blood lily with the power of smash

Ahh make cane/staff animations the sole domain of BLM, move WHM back 1h wands but they're all dual wielded hammers and retool it to be a melee/healer hybrid. This would own so hard

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Chillgamesh posted:

Ahh make cane/staff animations the sole domain of BLM, move WHM back 1h wands but they're all dual wielded hammers and retool it to be a melee/healer hybrid. This would own so hard

yeah. Early FFs cribbed hard from Dungeons and Dragons and white mage was the cleric analogue minus the plate mail. Sidenote: RDM makes sense when you look up the madness of dnd 1e bards

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Black/White/Red mage are pretty much an explicit Dragonlance reference. Where good mages were white mages, neutral red, and evil black.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Eimi posted:

Black/White/Red mage are pretty much an explicit Dragonlance reference. Where good mages were white mages, neutral red, and evil black.

Raistlin never got the fancy hat, unfortunately. Also probable inspiration for dragoons

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Chillgamesh posted:

Two other things to speculate about : Who do you think the Dreamer in the Garlemald Tower that Zenos mentions at the end of 5.55 is, and will the devs give Zenos a Reaper familiar or will he be too cool for that
Prediction: there's going to be a moment when Fancy Dan turns round to Zenos and goes "Thank you for being such an excellent puppet but now it's time for my real plan!" and Zenos' response is just going to be casually slicing the meat shell/Asahi in half then with no apparent effort binding the fleeing Ascian soul to himself as his "voidsent".

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
So I finally finished the MSQ and I'm curious, what all do we know about Sharlayan time manipulation beyond that one Astrologian who can stop time?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TGLT posted:

So I finally finished the MSQ and I'm curious, what all do we know about Sharlayan time manipulation beyond that one Astrologian who can stop time?

Astrologian used to be more Time Magic-y. It got removed from the class over time and now basically the only part of that left is that one NPC and Lightspeed.

Alexander was summoned around a Sharlayan ruin, but it's not really Sharlayan-connected beyond that, it was more just a convenient vessel for the Illuminati to focus efforts around.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Okay. I'm curious if there's any good reason to suspect the Sharlayans are so unwilling to get involved is due to some variety of time travel and/or prophecy bullshit. I mean they're dumb assholes so that's as good a reason as any but if anyone was going to figure out time travel before G'raha and the gang it'd be them. Assuming they weren't just founded by some dude with a DeLorean.

edit: Also I can't believe Zenos crushed the loving moon with just his fist. Such incredible strength. I guess good thing there was another 'nother backup moon.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 25, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Emet-Selch says a lot of poo poo about "our legacy" and inheriting it and stuff. At first I figured that was just a way to refer to "ownership of the world" or something, but I think it's actually something more specific, like full-scale creation magic and all that stuff that makes Ascians super powerful. It's probably what the Sharlayans are on about. I bet they were told that if they maintain whatever they're doing for the Ascians, they'll be given full creation magic (potentially if Ascians are all dead) and don't care what happens to the world because they think they can just re-make it later on, and the only important thing between then and now is to make sure everyone and everything is remembered. So they can remake it all as a paradise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I really think it's as simple as they're stubborn and think they know best.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

..Yeah that's probably it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah they're probably just dumb assholes, but I was just thinking what possible avenues might exist for them to legitimately know that actual end of days isn't incoming.

Could also just have a lifestream ark all set up in case they need to bug out I guess. If they even have a legit reason for just kicking back in Old Sharlayan and not helping. Maybe a vault full of Ascian gold too who knows.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also think a lot of it is Forchenault lost his father at Carteanux and he doesn't want the same thing to happen to his children now so if they would just stop acting like Louisoix and just start thinking rationally and come home, please, we have a plan where no one has to die for nothing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

I also think a lot of it is Forchenault lost his father at Carteanux and he doesn't want the same thing to happen to his children now so if they would just stop acting like Louisoix and just start thinking rationally and come home, please, we have a plan where no one has to die for nothing.

I don't feel like disowning them really fits into this though. If it's going to turn out that he's secretly not an rear end in a top hat, my guess is that Sharlayan is up to something and he doesn't want them to come home.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean he could mistakenly think disowning them might "shock them back to their senses." But Forchenault is just one dude on the Forum, so unless he's like secretly really good at arm wrestling he can't browbeat the entire city to stay out of things unless they wanted that.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 25, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's also the possibility he acted rashly, thinking "If I'm going to lose you, it'll be on my own terms" and then it'll build to him realizing Louisoix was right and something like "Maybe I was the one unworthy of your name"

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think we're going to meet The Mother and she's going to have a strong opinion about Forchenault disowning her kids

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Maybe? IIRC G'raha mentions that this being out of character for Fourchenault, so it could be that he knows things are not right in Sharlayan, but because of policy, he can't let us in. But if he shows up and makes a big production out of disowning the kids, very politely telling the Eorzean Alliance to go gently caress themselves, then we're going to come barreling in anyway. If the Sharlayans are half as smart as their reputation makes them out to be, Fourchenault has to know who the WoL is and will make plans accordingly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GoingPostal posted:

Maybe? IIRC G'raha mentions that this being out of character for Fourchenault, so it could be that he knows things are not right in Sharlayan, but because of policy, he can't let us in. But if he shows up and makes a big production out of disowning the kids, very politely telling the Eorzean Alliance to go gently caress themselves, then we're going to come barreling in anyway. If the Sharlayans are half as smart as their reputation makes them out to be, Fourchenault has to know who the WoL is and will make plans accordingly.

As a side note it's really goddamn impressive that G'raha remembers anything when he has several thousand years of memory floating around his head. I can't remember what I had for breakfat.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

GoingPostal posted:

If the Sharlayans are half as smart as their reputation makes them out to be, Fourchenault has to know who the WoL is and will make plans accordingly.

Know that I'll kill your forum if I have to. Maybe even if I don't.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I reckon the sharlayans have calculated the blast radius of what they think Fun Daniel's plan is, and think they're safe if they just sit tight.

I also reckon they're wrong

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ImpAtom posted:

As a side note it's really goddamn impressive that G'raha remembers anything when he has several thousand years of memory floating around his head. I can't remember what I had for breakfat.

The Exarch was "only" 300 or so years old at most. Also this is still young G'raha, just with Exarch's memories stuffed in him. It'd be interesting to see just how much they feel like "his" memories or if they feel something more like memories of a book you read that detailed an alternate life you might have lead.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TGLT posted:

There was also the sage who created Gigi from the Hildebrand quests. Not much otherwise.

Player Astrologians never had any actual time magic. Jannequinard would explain it when you learned spells like the removed Time Dilation. Astrologians could slow or accelerate aether, making it look like time manipulation, but it was far from it. The antagonist in the story quests, Gigi, and Gaia seem to do the real deal.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ImpAtom posted:

I mean, he only has a couple hundred at most, he was still in crystal stasis for most of the bad future timeline, and then only on the First for a hundred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I personally like the theory that the twins' dad disowned them to basically break the shackles of their name and to let them go buck wild with loving up the Sharlayan social structure without the burden of their name's legacy

But in general I like theories where the end result is "this person was being overdramatic but is actually very nice :)" so we'll see