Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’m playing it right now and it’s great! Paper Mario and Banjo Kazooie on the list of future games is awesome, I can’t wait to be able to play those on a handheld/while my wife is using the tv to watch Survivor

I hope we do get more Rare games. Come onnnn Conker's Bad Fur Day! The multiplayer ruled, and it'd be playable online!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Fun Times! posted:

I keep forgetting to give this a try.

It owns

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I think TTYD has higher highs than the original Paper Mario, but it also has much, much lower lows, such as the complete waste of time that is everything involving Bobbery on the deserted island, having to press the A button 100 times to listen to the guy say "I love you" 100 times, and having to run around the entire world to find General White.

Anyway Nintendo isn't getting my money for the expansion pass until Kirby, Paper Mario and Banjo Kazooie are actually on the service. Yoshi's Story is great but it alone isn't enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zuzie posted:

What's the main consensus on the Castlevania Advance collection? Is it worth picking up?

No issues with the ports beyond playing GBA games on a big TV can be weird. There's some neat features like being able to play any region's version of the games, though there's no real regional differences I can remember. it seems like a feature thats mostly there for speedrunners due to the Japanese version being faster (text boxes are shorter since Japanese can express more in less characters)

Hopefully they find a decent way to port the DS games, order of ecclesia is my favorite of the portable metroidvanias.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

No issues with the ports beyond playing GBA games on a big TV can be weird. There's some neat features like being able to play any region's version of the games, though there's no real regional differences I can remember. it seems like a feature thats mostly there for speedrunners due to the Japanese version being faster (text boxes are shorter since Japanese can express more in less characters)

Hopefully they find a decent way to port the DS games, order of ecclesia is my favorite of the portable metroidvanias.

The Mega Man Zero Collection did it by offering two screens configured in different ways and letting you use the right analog stick to 'move' on the touch screen and that probably had more involved touch screen antics than the DS games aside from maybe the Sisters mode in PoR.

(I am assuming here they just fuckin' auto-finish the seals in DoS.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

(I am assuming here they just fuckin' auto-finish the seals in DoS.)

The fan patches that did this for the DS version were really good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think TTYD has higher highs than the original Paper Mario, but it also has much, much lower lows, such as the complete waste of time that is everything involving Bobbery on the deserted island, having to press the A button 100 times to listen to the guy say "I love you" 100 times, and having to run around the entire world to find General White.

You forgot the chapter that is composed entirely of going back-and-forth across a small set of screens repeatedly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forgot the chapter that is composed entirely of going back-and-forth across a small set of screens repeatedly.

this describes half the chapters in thousand year door

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Zuzie posted:

What's the main consensus on the Castlevania Advance collection? Is it worth picking up?

looks like it’s done by M2 so there’s quite a bit of extra effort put in if that matters to you. imo it’s probably worth it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Zuzie posted:

If you already own all three GBA games and have a modded GBA to play them on maybe wait.

If you are missing at least one of the games or don't have a legitimate way to play them, definitely get it.

I was on the fence about picking this up right away since I own all three games but maybe I will anyways as strong sales may convince Konami to let M2 figure out a DS collection. Or even better, hire Iga/ArtPlay to come back and do the 1999 Castlevania we never got.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you already own all three GBA games and have a modded GBA to play them on maybe wait.

If you are missing at least one of the games or don't have a legitimate way to play them, definitely get it.

I was on the fence about picking this up right away since I own all three games but maybe I will anyways as strong sales may convince Konami to let M2 figure out a DS collection. Or even better, hire Iga/ArtPlay to come back and do the 1999 Castlevania we never got.

I doubt Iga would be interested in working for Konami again when he can already make his own Castlevania with Blackjack and Hookers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maybe Iga could be convinced to make his next game not look like absolute shite

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
it looks like if you dont have a switch.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ttyd is better. but the original is good. both are better than any of the games after or smrpg. thank you

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Butterfly Valley posted:

So you found the 'coming soon' articles but are still wondering why you can't buy them yet

No what I found, from some deeper googling, was a page on the Nintendo store that let me sign up to be notified when preorders for it were going live because the site navigation for Nintendo is atrocious. :rolleyes:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The only mandatory touch stuff in the ds games is the seals, right? Unless I'm forgotting something but you can get a romhack where they just input automatically so surely they could do at least that for a real port.

OoE loving owns and I have a real soft spot for PoR

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
all 3 ds games own. i'd forgive them for not wanting to make new games anymore if they just released that collection on everything.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We already knew TTYD is a JRPG!

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Vikar Jerome posted:

all 3 ds games own. i'd forgive them for not wanting to make new games anymore if they just released that collection plus rondo and symphony on everything.

minor correction

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

The only mandatory touch stuff in the ds games is the seals, right? Unless I'm forgotting something but you can get a romhack where they just input automatically so surely they could do at least that for a real port.

OoE loving owns and I have a real soft spot for PoR

DoS also has the ice blocks you break with the touch screen, though Julius mode (and romhack) just lets you break them with attacks. PoR and OoE have bonus characters with touch screen mechanics (attacking with Sisters/teleporting with Albus). All three games have a hidden mechanic where familiars will aim for where you touch but honestly I don't know if anyone's ever actually bothered using that.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I hope we do get more Rare games. Come onnnn Conker's Bad Fur Day! The multiplayer ruled, and it'd be playable online!

I really doubt they're going to put an M rated game in the online sub

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Can anyone remind me the dates for the Smash and Animal Crossing Directs respectively?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Can anyone remind me the dates for the Smash and Animal Crossing Directs respectively?

Smash is October 5

Animal Crossing direct is sometime in October, with the content dropping in November. I don't know if they gave an exact date for the direct but Brewster's birthday is 10/15 so maybe?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Let me dream, dammit! :negative:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Another Switch game with a great soundtrack is The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Smash is October 5

Animal Crossing direct is sometime in October, with the content dropping in November. I don't know if they gave an exact date for the direct but Brewster's birthday is 10/15 so maybe?

I haven't been on my island in months and the amount of weeds, cockroaches, and neighborly guilt is too much for me to go back. Until the update.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I don't think I played at all this year but I am gonna go back once October starts to get the Halloween stuff

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like Paper Mario better than the 1000 year door. I think it's a better game for the most part except for the music

You are right. I loving love Paper Mario on N64 - TTYD is still good, but there's something about the original I prefer.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway Nintendo isn't getting my money for the expansion pass until Kirby, Paper Mario and Banjo Kazooie are actually on the service. Yoshi's Story is great but it alone isn't enough.

bobbery island and the 100x I love you!s are highlights of the game you mad degenerate

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I like Paper Mario better than the 1000 year door. I think it's a better game for the most part except for the music

this is also extremely fuckjed up

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

the crystal palace dungeon in paper mario is really rad tho ngl

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I do wonder if Paper Mario still holds up today though. Considering how beloved TTYD is, the original might be viewed as too simplistic. Especially if you're also coming off from Bug Fables.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Does anyone know if GameStop still does in store preorders for things that you can’t preorder online?

Back before preordering was just standard, anything and everything could be preordered at GameStop so long as it existed in their system. The Dialga and Palkia Switch Lite has probably the best color way and I now very much want it. But there’s no preorders for it online anywhere.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I have never played a Mario RPG or paper Mario game

I should do that some time

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Achmed Jones posted:

I have never played a Mario RPG or paper Mario game

I should do that some time

There pretty good. There are fair criticism of both of the talked about paper Mario’s but I don’t think they make either bad to play

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Zuzie posted:

I do wonder if Paper Mario still holds up today though. Considering how beloved TTYD is, the original might be viewed as too simplistic. Especially if you're also coming off from Bug Fables.

i played 64 like two months ago followed by ttyd, and it's definitely still fun and funny and worth playing but the sequel blows it away. Rogueport owns

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

'
There pretty good. There are fair criticism of both of the talked about paper Mario’s but I don’t think they make either bad to play

Are they very long? I don't get as much game time as I'd like these days

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fuligin posted:

i played 64 like two months ago followed by ttyd, and it's definitely still fun and funny and worth playing but the sequel blows it away. Rogueport owns

If you combined the two and trimmed some of the needless stuff (not all of it, just some), you'd have the perfect PM game.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
TTYD is probably my favorite game of all time, but I have to force myself to push through the twilight town in one sitting or I'll just get bored going back and forth the 5 or so times you have to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Bloop posted:

This is why they're taking more time to decide prices. N64 is included in the standard package. But you need to pay the "Don't tell dad" tier to get the M rated game (singular)