Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

The way things are going I can imagine even the DUP will be clamouring for Irish reunification shortly

They lived long enough to see their heroes become the villains? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

I was wondering how I was supposed to stockpile electricity tbh

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah but then the neighbours know you've got extremely divorced energy.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I hate fun and also myself, is there anywhere such a person could stream the Labour Conference in the hope of some funny heckles etc?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'd be shocked if anyone who might potentially heckle was allowed within a mile of the main conference room

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

These Playstation 5's are impossible to get.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

Yeah but then the neighbours know you've got extremely divorced energy.

:golfclap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you glue a big tesla battery to your house then when it catches fire you won't need the electricity to stay warm.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
can you cook over lithium fires?

e: hmmm Tesla apparently use a chemistry with nickel and cobalt, so not if you don't fancy metal poisoning

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/GeorgeAylett/status/1441774559674318851?s=19

No doubt all removed from the hall before the card vote to confirm Evans in post

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

I hate fun and also myself, is there anywhere such a person could stream the Labour Conference in the hope of some funny heckles etc?
Live stream of the Labour Conference

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

sebzilla posted:

I could’ve sworn they used to stream conferences on BBC Parliament, but it doesn’t seem like it today. I guess it’s too intolerably dull even to pre-empt re-runs of PMQs

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Answers Me posted:

I could’ve sworn they used to stream conferences on BBC Parliament, but it doesn’t seem like it today. I guess it’s too intolerably dull even to pre-empt re-runs of PMQs

Apparently it's on YouTube but unlisted. Auto-subtitles have given "Keir Starmer" as "Pierced Armour" which I particularly enjoyed.

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1441780132050522112

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Guavanaut posted:

Live stream of the Labour Conference

The Old Grey Pisswall Test

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Old Grey Pisswall

Sadly the most undefeatable voting bloc in the UK

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

sebzilla posted:

Apparently it's on YouTube but unlisted. Auto-subtitles have given "Keir Starmer" as "Pierced Armour" which I particularly enjoyed.

Anyway,

Someone edit this to dub say 'KEIR STARMER' in a rough russian accent like that Simpsons ep where Lisa gets a pen pal mail

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Big flywheel

What was that book where the world ran on a giant flywheel? Was it a Robert Rankin?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Labour Party conference live stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXFtFNLWUUo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean technically the world is a giant flywheel and it would be pretty hosed if it wasn't.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I mean technically the world is a giant flywheel and it would be pretty hosed if it wasn't.

Don't worry, the Italians have us covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6plRiR5OTIw

Ah, if only all the world's problems - or indeed any of them - could be solved by a beautiful woman in a Countach.

(Also I was only young when this advert came out and I don't remember it being quite so terribly edited, and also don't remember it having Nessun Dorma over it - I wonder if that was something hastily added to cash in on Italia 90 hysteria?)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We can all do our part to slow down the planet by investing in tidal energy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Guavanaut posted:

Whom thunder hath made greater? Here at least
We shall be free; th' Almighty hath not built
His second home, will not drive us hence:
Here we may reign secure; and, in my choice,
To reign is worth ambition, though up North:
Better to reign in Hull than serve in Devon.

Really appreciated this

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

we could pave over and convert all hilled and mountainous regions into a giant ARES system, satisfying both the need for renewables and a lust for trains

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

We can all do our part to slow down the planet by investing in tidal energy.

I have Pirellis on my bike and now I'm worried about whether I ride harder heading east than west and what effect that might be having.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Anyway,

Ok, this is probably a mischaracterisation of people’s motivations but… people really need to let Jeremy Corbyn go. 2015-19 was never about one person, and I feel like it plays into the right’s hands if the left fightback is happy to still portray itself as The Jeremy Corbyn Movemrnt. Harsh?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Answers Me posted:

Ok, this is probably a mischaracterisation of people’s motivations but… people really need to let Jeremy Corbyn go. 2015-19 was never about one person, and I feel like it plays into the right’s hands if the left fightback is happy to still portray itself as The Jeremy Corbyn Movemrnt. Harsh?

It's a lot faster to say "Jeremy Corbyn" than it is to say "I wanted Labour to have left wing policies instead of Blairite pablum and there was a four year window when we might have got it".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

It's a lot faster to say "Jeremy Corbyn" than it is to say "I wanted Labour to have left wing policies instead of Blairite pablum and there was a four year window when we might have got it".

Yeah this. I don't want him back in the top seat. I want someone like him though. What's a good shorthand for that?

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Answers Me posted:

It was an acceptable answer to the question he increased the membership astronomically.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's kind of hard to just pretend like he isn't basically on the right side of more or less every issue, I'd just be plain about it, the guy seems like a decent sort and I'd rather have him be PM than basically anybody else I can think of. If you give me someone else decent I'd have them too but nobody else has really seemed more credible of late.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It also nicely takes their bragging about kicking out Corbyn and anyone who ever liked him and throws it back in their faces.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also vote for the vengeful spirit of mao to strike down all the rich people but that isn't on the cards, alas. But never let it be said that I am not open to other ideas.

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Answers Me posted:

The right are going to portray the left as being that anyway so "playing into their hands" as a thing simply no longer matters. Reality is not going to be factored into their propaganda machine.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the left even existing is "playing into the right's hands"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean yes the policies he represented were almost universally good, but also he is genuinely likeable as a person.

If a leftist ever got back in though, i'd want a proper firebrand who'll purge the right; because if the media are going to accuse us of planning to do that anyway, may as well get the benefit of it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I’m at the conference and I saw a terf and an anti-vaxxer screaming at each other.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

I’m at the conference and I saw a terf and an anti-vaxxer screaming at each other.

I didn't realise there were mirrors there

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Yeah this. I don't want him back in the top seat. I want someone like him though. What's a good shorthand for that?

It doesn't matter anyway. The question was "why did you join the Labour Party?", not "what do you want from the Labour Party?" And to that, "Jeremy Corbyn" is a completely valid answer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hm. Will HGV drivers need to get passports to submit to get these temporary visas when they don't currently need them within the EU (or to enter UK before 1st October)?

https://twitter.com/ggbenedetto/status/1441503941695508484

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guavanaut posted:

Big flywheel

Funnily enough: https://levistor.com/

I assume it has to be buried or something, or at least very carefully armoured, because a flywheel going wrong is a bit like having a bomb go off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/MichaelRosenYes/status/1441804730531991557?s=20