Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jesse Ventura tried to unionize wrestlers, but got ratted out by Hulk Hogan.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a heel dropkicking a human face— forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vince will straight up erase you if you even hint at the U word nowadays

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I am definitely glad that there are brave people that fight for what they believe in, but for the life of me, I don’t understand why anyone ever willingly says anything political on social media or at work ever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Seeing her makes me reflect on how old Michael must be by now. 70? 75? He and Laurie each keep in excellent shape.

Nobody answered this, so I will. Michael Myers is stated to have been six when he murdered his sister Judith in 1963, so he was born in 1957. Canonically Laurie Strode was a 17 year old high school senior in 1978, so was born in 1961. Halloween and Halloween Kills are both set on 31st October/1st November 2018, so at that time Michael is 61 and Laurie is 57. However, it's been stated that Halloween Ends will advance in real time from the release of the first movie; it will thus be set in 2022.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Jedit posted:

Michael Myers is stated to have been six when he murdered his sister Judith in 1963, so he was born in 1957. Canonically Laurie Strode was a 17 year old high school senior in 1978, so was born in 1961. Halloween and Halloween Kills are both set on 31st October/1st November 2018, so at that time Michael is 61 and Laurie is 57. However, it's been stated that Halloween Ends will advance in real time from the release of the first movie; it will thus be set in 2022.

This is good content.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jedit posted:

Nobody answered this, so I will. Michael Myers is stated to have been six when he murdered his sister Judith in 1963, so he was born in 1957. Canonically Laurie Strode was a 17 year old high school senior in 1978, so was born in 1961. Halloween and Halloween Kills are both set on 31st October/1st November 2018, so at that time Michael is 61 and Laurie is 57. However, it's been stated that Halloween Ends will advance in real time from the release of the first movie; it will thus be set in 2022.

So they're doing a 4 year time skip from Halloween 18 and Halloween Kills to Halloween Ends?

I'm hoping they bring back Josh Hartnett and Paul Rudd for the finale.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Spencer trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WllZh9aekDg

Have to admit the scenery and themes looks a bit too familiar, having recently watched The Crown. But on the basis of Jackie I'm watching the poo poo out of this.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PeterCat posted:

So they're doing a 4 year time skip from Halloween 18 and Halloween Kills to Halloween Ends?

I'm hoping they bring back Josh Hartnett and Paul Rudd for the finale.

they offered Paul Rudd the role and he turned it down to do that awful looking new Ghostbusters movie.

yes, I'm mad about it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

they offered Paul Rudd the role and he turned it down to do that awful looking new Ghostbusters movie.

yes, I'm mad about it.

Lmao come on Paul

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yes, I'm mad about it.

As well you should be.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

Spencer trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WllZh9aekDg

Have to admit the scenery and themes looks a bit too familiar, having recently watched The Crown. But on the basis of Jackie I'm watching the poo poo out of this.

lol at the 'Will they kill me you think' part.
Trying to poo poo stir to imply its the Queen but I bet you its about something totally else.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yes, I'm mad about it.

OMG, seriously?

drat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GB pays more money. I guess

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CelticPredator posted:

GB pays more money. I guess

Also it doesn't remind him that he was in Halloween 6. Offering Paul Rudd the chance to play Tommy Doyle again would be like offering Michael Caine a chance to reprise his role in a Jaws reboot.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Caine would definitely do it though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

AceOfFlames posted:

Caine would definitely do it though.

The man knows the value of a paycheck.

Metrodextrous
Aug 6, 2007

alright dude whatever

i hope ur asshole grows shut
first real look at the real life characters in motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2N-9EmedA

Can't say I'm picking up the same vibe as the anime intro. Also a lot of the design looks.....Cost Efficient

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is just no energy to this and it doesn't give me any hope in the show, but its almost endearing how corny it is. it feels like something a bunch of friends would try to put together at a con lmao

Metrodextrous
Aug 6, 2007

alright dude whatever

i hope ur asshole grows shut

Snooze Cruise posted:

there is just no energy to this and it doesn't give me any hope in the show, but its almost endearing how corny it is. it feels like something a bunch of friends would try to put together at a con lmao

christ this totally does have "fake trailer a bunch of cosplayers threw together at a con" vibes :cripes:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah not really too thrilled. Speed Racer might end up being the only live action adaptation of anime to actually nail the tone/vibes of the thing it was adapting (it helps the Wachowski sisters are huge nerds and made a nightmarish grotesque nauseating cartoon hell for their characters to exist in).

I thought the Death Note movie was okay too, but mostly because I like Lakeith Stanfield and i enjoyed it as a decent Final Destination film.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 25, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBXqrBl6pEo
sandman trailer, only showing what is like the first 4 pages of the start of the comic lol

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Snooze Cruise posted:

sandman trailer, only showing what is like the first 4 pages of the start of the comic lol

Not overly impressed with how it's cut, but it's got Charles Dance and a dude with a very unearthly looking face as Dream so... cautiously hopeful.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I would like to see an alien invasion movie that has actual aliens that aren't various scaled cloverfield monsters, or give magical whimsical CGI effects prior to their invasion or attack.
Aliens that need space/armor suits to protect themselves from our environment, have army/squad formations with guns and such instead of hiding out in ruins and just melee jump attacks and teeth like that poo poo Chris Pratt recent one.
No loving crop circles, no fancy light shows, just BAM internet and power go out, and they find out from there.

Independence Day.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Parkingtigers posted:

Not overly impressed with how it's cut, but it's got Charles Dance and a dude with a very unearthly looking face as Dream so... cautiously hopeful.

Yeah, same. My main issue right now is this is only supposed to be the first two arcs and i really don't like those. Like there is no way they are skipping 24 hour diner because that feels like something people would dream to adapt but I personally find it and the Cereal convention tasteless.

I dunno, if it gets popular hopefully they just skip Game of You because that one is transphobic.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Metrodextrous posted:

Can't say I'm picking up the same vibe as the anime intro. Also a lot of the design looks.....Cost Efficient
Dunno, I think it looks great. Love seeing all the bounties brought to life, hopefully the stained glass church scene is done well.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Snooze Cruise posted:

Dream should have just pure black eyes.
And yeah you have to explain the start, the reason why there is 100 years of no Dream.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Byzantine posted:

Independence Day.

Great film, but whimsical and magical 'ooo what are they here for' uptil the beams.
And wasn't it just aerial dog fighting, no ground troops or such. Last time I saw it was in the cinema on its launch day.
Something like V crossed with Falling Skies.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Metrodextrous posted:

1) doesnt have the giant walking high heels. fail
2) why on earth are they bothering to adapt the invincible vaudeville robot assassin episode

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Snooze Cruise posted:

Honestly, I did like it and that's exactly the sort of vibe I got. It's not slick or stylish, which the anime was.

But I don't think I'll mind the ride once it comes out.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah, same. My main issue right now is this is only supposed to be the first two arcs and i really don't like those. Like there is no way they are skipping 24 hour diner because that feels like something people would dream to adapt but I personally find it and the Cereal convention tasteless.

I dunno, if it gets popular hopefully they just skip Game of You because that one is transphobic.

It's been a while since I read them all, so I can't remember having issues with the earlier books. I'll take your word on the transphobia in GoY as I wouldn't have picked up on it back when I read it. Considering how hard Neil Gaiman recently came out swinging against the TERFs when they tried to claim Terry Pratchett, I've no doubts that he'll agree to, if not outright insist on, fixing that in any adaptation though.

The only book of Sandman that I remember bothering me was the last one. It seemed to go on forever, was very boring, and maybe because I kept taking breaks I had no clue who anyone was or what they were doing (or why) for most of the story. Might be time for another reread of all of these, but not sure if I should do it before or after the show.

happyhippy posted:

Dream should have just pure black eyes.

That's a change I'm not only accepting of, but approving of. It's fine for a comic book, great as a concept, but it's just going to be extremely offputting in live action. Dream is a sympathetic character the audience connects to, and creepy eyes won't do that. That dude's face is ethereal enough to sell the otherworldly nature all by itself.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Parkingtigers posted:

It's been a while since I read them all, so I can't remember having issues with the earlier books. I'll take your word on the transphobia in GoY as I wouldn't have picked up on it back when I read it. Considering how hard Neil Gaiman recently came out swinging against the TERFs when they tried to claim Terry Pratchett, I've no doubts that he'll agree to, if not outright insist on, fixing that in any adaptation though.

The transphobic stuff I remember is that there's a trans (male to female) character who has to take part in a ritual but the character doing the ritual tells her "it only works for real women, sorry but I don't make the rules". Yeah.

It would rightfully piss people off, especially since it would be extremely easy to change.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 25, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kassad posted:

The transphobic stuff I remember is that there's a trans (male to female) character who has to take part in a ritual but the character doing the ritual tells her "it only works for real women, sorry but I don't make the rules". Yeah.

It would rightfully piss people off, especially since it would be extremely easy to leave out.

to expand on this its not even the character doing the ritual its that the gods behind the ritual wouldn't accept her. all the other characters do think this is lovely and you are supposed to as well but it still sucks especially since that character ends ups up being a fatality of the arc while everyone is off doing the ritual

but even outside of that game of you just, isn't very good. its one of those things where gaiman thinks he is saying smart stuff about the differences between men and women and its just kinda trite.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Kassad posted:

It would rightfully piss people off, especially since it would be extremely easy to change.

I went to see if there was any recent comment from him on this, and to refresh myself on the story, and there’s a decent summary of it all here:

https://www.cbr.com/sandman-neil-gaiman-rejects-argument-game-of-you-transphobic/

The tl;dr being that Gaiman very explicitly wanted the TERF characters to be TERFs, and that (Game of You ending spoilers)Death accepts the character as being a woman even when the Moon doesn’t

Snooze Cruise posted:

but even outside of that game of you just, isn't very good. its one of those things where gaiman thinks he is saying smart stuff about the differences between men and women and its just kinda trite.

This is also probably a good summary. I like Neil Gaiman, a lot, but he’s often not as good as we tend to think he is. The article linked says there will be trans people in the writers room for any adaptation of that book so it’s known that a needle has to be threaded on that one and they’ll keep it legit. Seems the best outcome.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Metrodextrous posted:

drat, John Cho is old. I like the guy and I'm glad he's getting more higher profile roles, but I wasn't too sure when he was announced and watching this did nothing to convince me otherwise.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Metrodextrous posted:

I think this would be great as an anime, looks real cartoony!

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Kind of impressed that apparently that’s Cho’s actual hair he grew out for the part

Eh I guess he’s never had short hair but still he’s 50 now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah not really too thrilled. Speed Racer might end up being the only live action adaptation of anime to actually nail the tone/vibes of the thing it was adapting

Battle Angel.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Metrodextrous posted:

huh, i saw in another thread people claiming the show will suck because netflix refuses to allow hero characters to smoke and the first shot... is john cho smoking.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Metrodextrous posted:

This doesn't look good at all to me. I adore Bebop, but am not a media purist at all. This looks like they are trying really really hard to recreate the anime in live action. Which begs the question, what's the point? If the live action is just a subpar recreation of the anime, why not just watch the anime? Why try and recreate the title sequence? If you place this next to the anime version, the anime version looks so much better because it was designed for the medium in which it lives, ie animation.

I think the depth of the Bebop universe could be mined for all sorts of interesting stories in various mediums. Given that, why not just create something new? As other people have mentioned, this just feels like cosplay.

Compare that to the Sandman teaser. I'm also a big fan of those comics. Even though it obviously takes some visuals and shots from the comics, it feels much more like it's own thing.

My favorite example recently is the HBO Watchmen series. I am definitely of the belief that Watchmen isn't just one of the greatest comics of all time, but one of the greatest novels. So instead of making a cosplay recreation like the Snyder movie, they took the universe and some of the characters and design aesthetic, but went in a different direction to create a seamless unified whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Sandman trailer looks terrible.