Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
really enjoying the shock and horror on the hosts face when she realises that the US wouldnt necessarily end the world in response to a nuclear strike on australia, and the screams of denial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drop a time stamp I’m not watching a 60 minutes video of hysterical Australians to find the good part

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so what's up with the Canadians, I'm gonna assume by 'hostages' and poo poo they mean 'they did some dumb finance crimes and are angry China held them to the laws'?

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
They are spies

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

paul_soccer12 posted:

Send em back

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

so what's up with the Canadians, I'm gonna assume by 'hostages' and poo poo they mean 'they did some dumb finance crimes and are angry China held them to the laws'?

they didn’t hold them to the laws though

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fleetwood posted:

"like a crazy man with an ax"???? Xi is going to bring back the Hatchet Gang, hell yeah

hell yeah their theme song ruled

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You know if the Michaels were actually spies they would have just been killed, right? China killed a bunch of US spies in the 2010s and no one cared

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

You know if the Michaels were actually spies they would have just been killed, right? China killed a bunch of US spies in the 2010s and no one cared

I think it’s possible/likely they were doing extremely low level spy work on the level of like “tell us the organizational structure of the SOE-led companies you were engaged with” but you’re probably right in the sense that we normally think about spies

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

indigi posted:

drop a time stamp I’m not watching a 60 minutes video of hysterical Australians to find the good part

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Agrajag posted:

lmao looks like crypto nerds are losing their poo poo on reddit and theyre coming up with weird conspiracy theories
CPC is just tanking the price so they can buy more for themselves

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah and I laugh every time I remember that. It was such a self own by CIA, just great stuff.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

They are spies

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
David Harvey bent the knee to Xi on his podcast this week

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Grapplejack posted:

The killed spy (spies?) were Chinese national, and he was running.

Captured spy exchange happen fairly frequently. Russia did it 2 years ago with Lithuania and 10 years ago with the US.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Centrist Committee posted:

David Harvey bent the knee to Xi on his podcast this week

more specifically, he admits his book, "Neoliberalism with Chinese Characteristics" was incorrect and Giovanni Arrighi's "Adam Smith in China" was a better take

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

And they also wouldn't have waited until the CFO of Huawei got tied up in extradition court to arrest them. China handed down a death sentence to a third Canadian at around the same time and no one cared because he seemed like a legit drug trafficker.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

what does the drug trafficker have to do with anything, people are talking about spies

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

that guy may be the dumbest motherfucker on these forums

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Judakel posted:

that guy may be the dumbest motherfucker on these forums

Yep

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

more specifically, he admits his book, "Neoliberalism with Chinese Characteristics" was incorrect and Giovanni Arrighi's "Adam Smith in China" was a better take

do you have a link to this? I remember that reading his Brief History of Neoliberalism back in like 2011 was what cemented my take on China for a good few years and I'd like to hear the man himself walking it back.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Hasn't he been on that train for a while? He was praising China a couple of months ago.

Dr. Wolff is also a big China guy now.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
this is a messaging shift because "china is strong and powerful" might lead some to think "let's not fight them but find a way to work things out." the propaganda line instead turns into "we have to fight china because they're weak and will lash out and strike us first"

https://twitter.com/china_takes/status/1441796646459691008

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this is a messaging shift because "china is strong and powerful" might lead some to think "let's not fight them but find a way to work things out." the propaganda line instead turns into "we have to fight china because they're weak and will lash out and strike us first"

The USS has always been good at projection.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

:umberto:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what metrics do they use to determine that China is declining

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the enemy is both powerful and weak

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rutibex posted:

if you think two nuclear powers can just have a little conventional war as a treat you are wrong

Sure they can.

Nuclear exchanges aren't going to be triggered unless it's over something either party considers existential. The cost of the exchange has to be considered worth the price of preserving somebody's claim to something or other. In that case, China's claim to Taiwan is more of an existential issue to them than it is to us - but even then China would not bring the nukes out because they have the material advantage and would win. The US isn't going to just launch nukes because it feels humiliated, either.

The most likely outcome is that there's not going to be a war at all, because the United States is too afraid of losing. OTOH, there could be a war because military planners or the White House want to use a loss as an excuse to either reform or supercharge the MIC.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-banning-crypto-transactions-great-news-for-bitcoin-investment-firm-ceo-210725512.html

quote:

China banning crypto transactions ‘great news for bitcoin’: Investment firm CEO

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

John Charity Spring posted:

do you have a link to this? I remember that reading his Brief History of Neoliberalism back in like 2011 was what cemented my take on China for a good few years and I'd like to hear the man himself walking it back.

https://anticapitalistchronicles.libsyn.com/whither-china

but should also be available through whatever podcast app you use

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Judakel posted:

the enemy is both powerful and weak

My first thought as well.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

indigi posted:

The country's economy is projected to only grow by 8.1% this year, down from 8.4% in earlier projections. This means China is done, you see.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Haha you see they beat the poo poo out of me .3 percent less than what I was expecting so if you think about it I'm winning.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

indigi posted:

slowing economic growth, which is true of nearly every industrialized country?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Gordon Chang is 70 years old and people are going after his job.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

https://anticapitalistchronicles.libsyn.com/whither-china

but should also be available through whatever podcast app you use

Thanks, this was a really interesting listen. I really respect Harvey's openness about changing his mind and saying he was wrong in the past in this issue.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

An enemy both all powerful and easily crushed you say?
Edit: beaten, whatever

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Literally the dril "It's not blood, it's victory wine!" tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

indigi posted:

there's no one moment of the 60 minutes segment that can really be highlighted because the entire thing is completely deranged. Right down to 60 Minutes saying definitively that Taiwan has not been historically "part of China" because it has an indigenous population, only then to bring up later that Taiwan isn't even independent of China.

They never even ask the question of what is Australia's actual interest in going to war with China, because it's such a foregone conclusion that Australia will do anything the United States tells it to.