Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

So, at this point, is there a good Gygax left? :smith:
... At least these are mostly run of the mill financial crimes instead of sex-pest poo poo as far as we know? :imunfunny:

lol, GaryCon was funded with dirty money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

... At least these are mostly run of the mill financial crimes instead of sex-pest poo poo as far as we know? :imunfunny:

lol, GaryCon was funded with dirty money

Based on my experience with a lot of middle-tier local cons, most of them are at some point in the chain

that doesn't make it right or okay, mind you, just... unremarkable, lol.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

So, at this point, is there a good Gygax left? :smith:

I don't think there's ever been a good Gygax.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm now hearing convention stories about "Turbo" from friends and basically... Everything in the complaint basically tracks. Stories of enforced downing of high-octane plum brandy, etc

His company makes... Cutlery and drone automatic targeting stuff? wtf

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man it's even worse!

92 has to be there as lawyer humor right?

Nah, it’s a lead in to the next few paras which are about a discussion at that lunch.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kalman posted:

Nah, it’s a lead in to the next few paras which are about a discussion at that lunch.
But still.

https://twitter.com/mikeselinker/status/1441452084482564100?s=19

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
So they had a raging bachelor party that segued directly into the wedding? Don't be such a baby.

LongDarkNight fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 24, 2021

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

LongDarkNight posted:

So they had a raging bachelor party that segued directly into the wedding? Don't be such a baby.

A weird renfaire wedding is fine.

Forcing someone to attend it (in an important role, no less) under false pretenses is not fine.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

EverettLO posted:

My own memory of it is also almost two decades old but it was a Wick product through and through. It had some compelling ideas, such as community character generation and simply the idea of treating elves as being so magically powerful and long lived as to appear to mortal races like alien greys appear to modern people.

They're Discworld elves with the serial numbers half-heartedly filed off.

I think the most positive thing to be said about Orkworld is that it's an explicitly anti-colonial fantasy game, which was pretty unusual for the time of its release. The problem is that Runequest did it earlier and much, much better.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

neongrey posted:

Wick is really frustrating to me because I personally really like a combative/antagonistic style and for good reasons that's not exactly easy to track down. Wick as a designer really speaks to the sort of tension I like in play which is, yes, kind of dickish at best.

Of course, in this day and age, you need to acknowledge that you can't have play like that without building in safeties to ensure everyone involved is on the same page with expectations because boy howdy if less than literally everyone plays that way, it's gonna cause a world of hurt feelings, and you need to be careful even if everyone understands, expects, and wants this mode of play. And Wick's work sure as hell doesn't acknowledge any of that.

Bleh.

Being an adversarial DM is fine. Wick is a lovely one because he thinks he's doing it because it's smart and obvious instead of just fun, and he's high on his own farts enough to just be constantly bragging about being adversarial in situations where it's really apparent that he held all the cards. He's basically a poo poo dm the same way most poo poo doms are poo poo.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

theironjef posted:

He's basically a poo poo dm the same way most poo poo doms are poo poo.

Was that a typo because it works extremely well as is

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Not a typo! lovely doms are always inordinately proud of abusing power imbalances and think they're doing something smart.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Also shared between lovely DMs and lovely doms: viewing the role as part of their identity, and one that indicates superior intelligence/personality, and not as a part picked up by mutual consent as part of an enjoyable activity.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
God drat I hate that that's such a fantastic analogy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I brought it up before on twitter but the "Happy Fun Ball" part of Play Dirty is extremely gross and absolutely reads like a dude (in this case not just a GM but someone's supervisor at work) making someone incredibly uncomfortable, giving them lovely nicknames, etc, while reveling in how awesome he is.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

I brought it up before on twitter but the "Happy Fun Ball" part of Play Dirty is extremely gross and absolutely reads like a dude (in this case not just a GM but someone's supervisor at work) making someone incredibly uncomfortable, giving them lovely nicknames, etc, while reveling in how awesome he is.

So much of that advice is basically low-effort trolling: "I did the minimum amount of effort to provoke an emotional reaction! Truly, I am the king of manipulation." And it's like, yeah, that's impressive when you're a tiny baby who's figuring the world out, but when you're an adult it's like bragging that you managed to go potty without soiling your pullups in terms of impressive feats.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

It was very much both. Fantasy heartbreakers are games that are extremely derivative of D&D, but had really interesting ideas, and were doomed commercially because they came out too late (1990-2001) for that to be viable in the market.
And the "doomed commercially" part was worse back in the day because you couldn't just slap it on Drivethru RPG with a print on demand thing, you needed a print run.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

theironjef posted:

He's basically a poo poo dm the same way most poo poo doms are poo poo.

The power dynamic in a d/s scene and between a GM and players is remarkably similar.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

To quote what a friend said after being shown some choice Play Dirty/Dirtier passages:

quote:

the tone of these articles is essentially "locker room talk", to borrow a term from scumbags everywhere; it's some absolute loving creep who either thinks you're an absolute loving creep too, or thinks you admire him for being an absolute loving creep, or thinks he has sufficient authority that you'll overlook him being an absolute loving creep, breathily describing the way young women react when he abuses them and then smirking like he expects applause

potatocubed posted:

The power dynamic in a d/s scene and between a GM and players is remarkably similar.

There's a somewhat infamous experimental jeepform game (titled Gang Rape) that had as its thesis that the authority of a traditional GM lends itself to abuse of other people's (in)ability to consent.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

KingKalamari posted:

Don't worry, I am...

I mean, when you really get down to it there's not much of a difference between neopagan ceremonies and LARPs...

some "pagans" killed a farmer's goat in my old hometown in ontario and immediately were like 'UMMMM A VIDEO GAME MADE US DO IT" when they got arrested

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

potatocubed posted:

It's not just that, the way that the culture of both communities is hell-bent on creating bad actors is incredibly similar too. We get poo poo DM advice from stains like Wick because there's a whole subsection of RPG thought dedicated to the belief that DMs are like gnomic mystery geniuses, their whims unchecked and their sympathies undeserved by the lowly player. Don't touch their pizza! Whole chapters in books about how they're allowed to literally punish you, another adult who is their friend, for poo poo that happens during a game session. "Lifelong DM" becomes almost a value signifier.

Meanwhile you get the exact same worship of the worst qualities in the D/s community. Subs love hearing the hardline rhetoric because it's hot pillowtalk, doms need some way to impress other doms, and filter that through a few decades of books written about it and the general numbers (just like RPGs there's usually way more sub/players than dom/DMs) and you get a vast sea of fetlife assholes all "RACK ONLY, no limits, safety tools are for fake doms" all over.

And adversarial DMing can easily just be a difficulty setting thing. There's more monsters or they're more powerful. The DCs are higher and ambushes and character death are on the table, that sort of thing. But you can do that sort of poo poo with a smile on your face and an encouraging word to your players. You can be adversarial AND a fan of your players. That's not what Wick sells though. He basically sells awful improv advice. When your players try something, hit 'em with a big old RP-killing "No you can't, because this is actually about me."

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

and you get a vast sea of fetlife assholes all "RACK ONLY, no limits, safety tools are for fake doms" all over.

So this might be a trap sprung moment, but RACK is a safety tool in the kink community, it stands for "risk assessed consensual kink"

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
https://yourdungeonisracist.blogspot.com/

:sigh:

At least it looks like he already got bored.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

theironjef posted:

That's not what Wick sells though. He basically sells awful improv advice. When your players try something, hit 'em with a big old RP-killing "No you can't, because this is actually about me."

One thing that struck me about Play Dirty 2 is that a lot of it is about him just asserting and maintaining control. I just gag when I think about how many times he talks about attacking the assumptions of the players as if it were just so clever.

"You thought you were playing Star Trek? I blew up the Federation, it's Star Wars now!"
"You thought you were going to fight orcs? No, they're the good guys, you're the bad guys, they trounce you and you have to beg for mercy."
"You thought you were playing Changeling? Whups, I just made it a Pendragon game now."

Which, you know, is fine when that kind of expectation is at least discussed and hinted at by a gamemaster before starting. But simply lying isn't exactly the master technique he thinks it is.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Whybird posted:

So this might be a trap sprung moment, but RACK is a safety tool in the kink community, it stands for "risk assessed consensual kink"

Fair! I knew what it stood for, I was sort of using it as like the consent level one step more fraught than normal.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It takes genuine time and effort to be even less funny than Your Dungeon Is Suck, so right now they're probably tossing around ideas on how apply Attack Helicopter jokes in an original way to medieval fantasy.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Libertad! posted:

It takes genuine time and effort to be even less funny than Your Dungeon Is Suck, so right now they're probably tossing around ideas on how apply Attack Helicopter jokes in an original way to medieval fantasy.

Venger Satanis is one of the most naturally unfunny people I know, it's like he was grown in a lab somewhere.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Now this is what the tabletop community was sorely lacking: a right-wing comedy blog that ran out of material

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Ettin posted:

Now this is what the tabletop community was sorely lacking: a right-wing comedy blog that ran out of material

The fact that they wanted to do a "babylon bee" but...didn't actually do that, instead having no actual jokes is sad. This isn't hard. Like, you can slap together some lazy anti-SJW buzzword headlines, gently caress you can even rewrite Babylon Bee headlines.

Actually I just spent a few minutes looking at them and I don't think I can. Most of the best tabletop political jokes are already out there, like the "Anti-Vaxxer spokesperson ascends to becoming a greater daemon of Nurgle" etc etc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think part of the problem is it's literally a niche of a niche. Gaming jokes can be corny and overly-inside enough but then you insist on it being only about making fun of liberal gamers, congrats, you not only have just the one joke but now nobody understands it either.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think part of the problem is it's literally a niche of a niche. Gaming jokes can be corny and overly-inside enough but then you insist on it being only about making fun of liberal gamers, congrats, you not only have just the one joke but now nobody understands it either.

Anyway, something actually industry related, it seems one of Games Workshop's NDAs leaked and oh boy, it's a doozy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUoGVa89JY4

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Giving up after 3 days is hilariously low energy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't watch that where I am, but youtubers are like OAN or uncle at Nintendo tier reliable. Is there a written summary?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

moths posted:

I can't watch that where I am, but youtubers are like OAN or uncle at Nintendo tier reliable. Is there a written summary?

Found this linked by a blogger.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
There's some discussion on Twitter as to whether that is a contractor NDA or a streamer NDA. That does change the tone quite a bit (you'd expect some of those terms in a contractor NDA for someone actually doing long-term work inside the company).

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Kai Tave posted:

Venger Satanis is one of the most naturally unfunny people I know, it's like he was grown in a lab somewhere.

Maxwell Lord posted:

These are two halves of the same problem. A lot of authoritarian humour is about signalling loyalty; the "joke" comes from speaking about shared beliefs or mutually-understood statements that may remain entirely unspoken. You don't laugh at a joke, at a disconnect or irony. You laugh to signify you are part of the exclusive in-crowd and that the target is a joke.

Play Dirty is a wonderful case in point. It's a list of anecdotes which all essentially say "look at me I am powerful and can hurt and violate my players; laugh along with me, fellow powerful people".

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

They're Discworld elves with the serial numbers half-heartedly filed off.

I think the most positive thing to be said about Orkworld is that it's an explicitly anti-colonial fantasy game, which was pretty unusual for the time of its release. The problem is that Runequest did it earlier and much, much better.

You mean the Orlanthi-Dara Happan conflict? I mean, its got plenty of well written detail but at the end of the day its the story of exceedingly Germano-Celtic Heroic Savages (who are also the protagonists of the setting) fighting off a decidedly less Euro-coded degenerate "civilised" Empire and its degenerate religion. It's only so many steps removed from 300 because it's ultimately the fantasy world a white guy in the 60s would come up with

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

HopperUK posted:

Found this linked by a blogger.

Huh. Yeah that sure looks like an NDA alright.

Is this like a death panels thing deliberately misinterpreting something innocuous for attention or did I miss something egregious on my phone read-thru?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

It was a small blessing that something like RPGgate never got off the ground for the sole fact the ones who would have been all up ons it are themselves talent-free charisma black holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Huh. Yeah that sure looks like an NDA alright.

Is this like a death panels thing deliberately misinterpreting something innocuous for attention or did I miss something egregious on my phone read-thru?
Yeah, I'm not sure why an NDA is suspicious. I had to do one earlier this year, myself.

Can someone give the cliff's notes on how this one is unique and worthy of mention?