Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
How is AWE for mk7 exhaust stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

dialhforhero posted:

Got an oil issue with a 2020 RS3 with only 10k miles bought brand new.

It leaks from the bevel box and it has been in the shop 4 different times with seals, hardware, and even a new bevel box. Still leaks.

This time the dealership says it’s an innermost seal and they need to order a special tool to install it.

Anyone else have this issue or have tips? Or say gently caress it and :sever:?

Lemon Law?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I finally got around to installing new speakers in my GTI. I went with crutchfield for the speaker install kits and that made things super easy install wise. The main thing to anyone that wants to try this is VW really likes to rivet everything in place. The front tweeters luckily are just plastic rivets but the door speakers are held in place with very hard rivets that are a bit of a bitch to drill out. Other than that there's plenty of room and wire to work with so it's not bad at all.

The front tweeters are hilariously bad compared to the new ones I installed. OEM tweeters were 6 ohm 20w and the door speakers were 7 ohm 20w and made of basically just paper. I don't know how big of an upgrade the fender stuff is but holy moly the base audio is about as base as you can get.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do want to lower it a little bit (1"-1.5"), maybe I should grab kyb front struts and lowering springs instead.

GabbiLB posted:

I finally got around to installing new speakers in my GTI. I went with crutchfield for the speaker install kits and that made things super easy install wise. The main thing to anyone that wants to try this is VW really likes to rivet everything in place. The front tweeters luckily are just plastic rivets but the door speakers are held in place with very hard rivets that are a bit of a bitch to drill out. Other than that there's plenty of room and wire to work with so it's not bad at all.

The front tweeters are hilariously bad compared to the new ones I installed. OEM tweeters were 6 ohm 20w and the door speakers were 7 ohm 20w and made of basically just paper. I don't know how big of an upgrade the fender stuff is but holy moly the base audio is about as base as you can get.

How many speakers came in the kit?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

VelociBacon posted:

How many speakers came in the kit?

0, the kits are adapter plates and clip/screws to make it work with the stock holes you drill out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GabbiLB posted:

0, the kits are adapter plates and clip/screws to make it work with the stock holes you drill out.

Ah, someone made actual proper fitment kits for the mk5 at least years ago where you'd get a ?12 speaker kit for $500 and you'd replace them all. I'm not sure who that was or what the quality was like.

I have a JL Audio 12W3v3 in a custom fibreglass enclosure that fits very neatly into the side in the trunk, with a 500w rockford fosgate mono amp powering it and a pioneer AVH-4000NEX or something deck, it all works really well with the stock system because the deck allows you to set up crossovers digitally that prevent the stock speakers from trying to produce subwoofer frequencies. I honestly don't feel like I'd notice a step up in the speaker quality because I grew up with 2 lovely 4x6" speakers in the front and two lovely 6x9" speakers in a lovely parcel shelf.

I guess my question then is how many speakers total did you replace?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I just did the tweeters in the A-pillars and the rear door speakers, so 4 speakers. Not sure if I want to bother with the front door speakers right now. The way I have it set up right now the rear is mids and lows and the front is mids and highs and the tweeters are basically ear level so that's most of what you hear up front.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Now have a massive creak on suspension actuation, rear driver's side. Just replaced the trailing arms on both sides, new bushings, is this just new bushing sounds that will go away? The creak seems to come and go, worse on cold/wet mornings and sometimes not present at all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Did you tighten everything down when it was on the ground? Might be binding.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Did you grease the bushings?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Suburban Dad posted:

Did you tighten everything down when it was on the ground? Might be binding.

GabbiLB posted:

Did you grease the bushings?

It was installed by the shop... I have a lot of faith in the shop but maybe their apprentice got this job and didn't grease stuff properly.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’d bring it back. That doesn’t seem right. If you search around on the web Erwin manuals are out there for Golfs, which might be helpful in understanding what should be done when replacing the components that have been.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nitsuga posted:

I’d bring it back. That doesn’t seem right. If you search around on the web Erwin manuals are out there for Golfs, which might be helpful in understanding what should be done when replacing the components that have been.

Alright, thanks. I'll have them look at it when I'm off next week.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Pine Cone Jones posted:

How is AWE for mk7 exhaust stuff?

I dig it. I've got a the AWE Track catback and I love it. It's paired with a CTS Turbo downpipe. It's pretty loud, and gets a fair bit of drone. I know that they say you should only use that catback with a stock downpipe, but whatever.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Question for the thread that I can't find an answer on:

I've got a 2015 s3 with an APR downpipe amd stage 2 ecu. I recently started getting a CEL, code reader says it's the front O2 sensor heater circuit. My usual shop (who did the tune) is having troubles getting the sensor due to supply issues my understanding is the stage 2 ECU disables the O2 sensor anyway - so is there any big downside to just driving with it as-is for now?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

A Man With A Plan posted:

Question for the thread that I can't find an answer on:

I've got a 2015 s3 with an APR downpipe amd stage 2 ecu. I recently started getting a CEL, code reader says it's the front O2 sensor heater circuit. My usual shop (who did the tune) is having troubles getting the sensor due to supply issues my understanding is the stage 2 ECU disables the O2 sensor anyway - so is there any big downside to just driving with it as-is for now?

Depends which o2 sensor it is. I believe only the rear has a heater circuit but I'm not 100% on this. Assuming it's the rear, it's probably not a huge deal to keep driving it. If it's the front then having it dead will tank your gas mileage because you'll always be in open loop and dumping a ton of fuel "just in case." If it's the rear, it's only job is to monitor if the cat is still alive. Does your new downpipe have a cat?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

Depends which o2 sensor it is. I believe only the rear has a heater circuit but I'm not 100% on this. Assuming it's the rear, it's probably not a huge deal to keep driving it. If it's the front then having it dead will tank your gas mileage because you'll always be in open loop and dumping a ton of fuel "just in case." If it's the rear, it's only job is to monitor if the cat is still alive. Does your new downpipe have a cat?

Downpipe does have a cat, and the code specifically says front O2 sensor. I keep a rough track of the mpg I'm getting and it's maybe a few worse, like 24 down to 20-1. I'm more immediately concerned about damage or fouling the fuel system or something. I'm not a car expert by any means

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

A Man With A Plan posted:

Downpipe does have a cat, and the code specifically says front O2 sensor. I keep a rough track of the mpg I'm getting and it's maybe a few worse, like 24 down to 20-1. I'm more immediately concerned about damage or fouling the fuel system or something. I'm not a car expert by any means

If it's the front then it's not going to hurt anything but your mileage. The ECU uses the front sensor's feedback to determine how much fuel to inject into the engine. Now it'll just default to "more" since it doesn't know better. Maybe if only the heater circuit is dead and it works fine when it warms up then it functions mostly normally? No idea how VW does their engine management code but worst case is more fuel burnt. Potential damage to the downstream cat possible I guess too?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

If it's the front then it's not going to hurt anything but your mileage. The ECU uses the front sensor's feedback to determine how much fuel to inject into the engine. Now it'll just default to "more" since it doesn't know better. Maybe if only the heater circuit is dead and it works fine when it warms up then it functions mostly normally? No idea how VW does their engine management code but worst case is more fuel burnt. Potential damage to the downstream cat possible I guess too?

I'm going to get it fixed, for me it's mostly a question of expediency. Really appreciate the advice!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Would you guys trust a used GTI that is dealer sold?

I guess I am concerned in that I assume all GTIs are driven…kind of hard.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

dialhforhero posted:

It's where I got mine two years ago and it's been fine, though it did have a CPO warranty.

Also, I'm not sure about the track edition exhaust from AWE, I was thinking of the touring as it'd be less loud but still more significant than stock.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

dialhforhero posted:

I didn’t like twenty times this summer. That had more to do with the price being out of my comfort range and the warranties being expired and an unacceptable amount of previous owner modifications vs available information than the cars feeling rough or anything like that.

Can you go VW Certified PO?

What ultimately stopped me from buying a GTI (aside from the fact that I ended up not really enjoying either transmission v much compared to offerings in other companies’ cars) was that all the GTIs I was seeing were like $23k-$24k for 2017 models with like 40-50k miles on them, and like a few for $21-22k with 70-100k miles and some mods that I personally wouldn’t have done.

So with tax plus dealer fees you were looking at like $24-26k all in for a hard-driven VW fast Golf with no warranty left and a bunch of known fail points/areas in need of good maintenance with no known history and no included factory support waiting to pop (water pump, DSG, etc). Anything nicer and you’re spending like $30k or more which is “new car” territory and more than I could do.

Made jumping into a Fiesta ST for $15k all in so much more appealing by comparison, but if you can swing the $30k then a CPO mk7.5 2018-2021 is a solid bet. Or a new mk8 if you’re into a worse car than its predecessor and you can find one or wait for one I guess.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 25, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
This one was a 2018 “144 point inspection passed” with no modifications and still had the rest of the warranty on it. I asked the dealer if it was CPO and he said “It basically is because we won’t sell it with warranties left if it has been modified” which was a weird answer since why not make it officially CPO?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dialhforhero posted:

This one was a 2018 “144 point inspection passed” with no modifications and still had the rest of the warranty on it. I asked the dealer if it was CPO and he said “It basically is because we won’t sell it with warranties left if it has been modified” which was a weird answer since why not make it officially CPO?

"basically is" is not CPO. CPO provides a level of manufacturer support that is absolutely something I'd look for in a newly-used car from a dealer. That said, are they CPOing 2018 cars still?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

meatpimp posted:

"basically is" is not CPO. CPO provides a level of manufacturer support that is absolutely something I'd look for in a newly-used car from a dealer. That said, are they CPOing 2018 cars still?

Clearly not.

I often forget it is 2021 now and we also live in the worst timeline.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 26, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

meatpimp posted:

"basically is" is not CPO.

Yup.

That being said a 2018 should have the 6 year / 72k mile factory warranty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

Clearly not.

I often forget it is 2021 now and we also live in the worst timeline.

Tyro posted:

That being said a 2018 should have the 6 year / 72k mile factory warranty.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a 6 speed 2021 T-Roc (I hate the name) and I swear last time I went to drive it I put it in first gear and started to go and it tried to reverse! This is bad because our parking space abuts a concrete wall. I put it in neutral and then first gear again and it did it again! Then I deliberately put it in reverse (backup camera comes on), then back into first gear and finally it moved in the expected direction.

Am I a moron? I don't know anything about cars but I am certain I was in first gear yet I don't see how the car could want to go backwards when in first gear.

I wasn't in a position to experiment but if it does it again I definitely will.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I cannot think of how a mechanically linked system could be "put into 1st" and the transmission be physically in reverse. Unless something is bent in just the right way for that to happen, but also not interfere with the other gears? And then it undoes itself?

(unless it's some sort of electronically controlled manual transmission, which would be new to me)

But I'm also assuming there's some sort of gate that keeps you from slipping into reverse instead of 1st on accident. Like in my old VW, I had to physically press the shifter down or it wouldn't go. In my old Chevy, I had a ring I had to pull up on.

Were you on a slope and confusing the rolling due to gravity with rolling due to engine engagement?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 27, 2021

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Did you have it parked in reverse? I noticed sometimes on my GTI the lockout for reverse doesn't fully catch sometimes if I try to go out of reverse and into 1st too quickly.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Uthor posted:

I cannot think of how a mechanically linked system could be "put into 1st" and the transmission be physically in reverse. Unless something is bent in just the right way for that to happen, but also not interfere with the other gears? And then it undoes itself?

(unless it's some sort of electronically controlled manual transmission, which would be new to me)

But I'm also assuming there's some sort of gate that keeps you from slipping into reverse instead of 1st on accident. Like in my old VW, I had to physically press the shifter down or it wouldn't go. In my old Chevy, I had a ring I had to pull up on.

Were you on a slope and confusing the rolling due to gravity with rolling due to engine engagement?

The parking spot is flat and the car has that anti-roll back feature enabled. It was a really weird sensation as I was releasing the clutch in 1st gear and the car was trying to inch backwards. There were two passengers with me who witnessed it all :colbert:.

And yeah, the reverse gear is sorta beyond 1st gear but the only way to get there is to push down on the shifter while shifting. And then the backup camera comes on and, in this tight space, the sonar beeps instantly go wild.

Having said that, I took it out again yesterday from the same space and it went forward as expected in 1st so :shrug:.

It is possible that the last time I drove I turned the car off while still in reverse. I try to remember to leave the car in 1st here because going backwards would be an instant accident but sometimes I take care of that after shutting off the engine.

For now I suppose I know to be careful with it. If it happens again I'll try to make a ticktock or something.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any performance comparisons between a APR Stage 1 (or similar) golf wagon and a stock gti?

I currently have an outback with the boxer 6, and for the most part i love it, but i’ve been fantasizing about a more street/enthusiast oriented driving experience. I love th GTI, but idk if I can give up all the space and utility i’ve come to know from the outback

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any performance comparisons between a APR Stage 1 (or similar) golf wagon and a stock gti?

I currently have an outback with the boxer 6, and for the most part i love it, but i’ve been fantasizing about a more street/enthusiast oriented driving experience. I love th GTI, but idk if I can give up all the space and utility i’ve come to know from the outback

Keep the Outback, get a Gen 8 or Gen 9 Civic.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Head Bee Guy posted:

APR claims 240 HP and 285 FT-LBS of torque for 91 octane which is 10 more HP and 30 more torque than the stock GTI.

https://www.goapr.com/products/software/ecu_upgrade/gasoline/4/18t_ea888_g3/parts/ECU-18T-EA888-3-T-IS12

That's pretty neat for $500 and I love the VW sport wagon.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 28, 2021

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think about getting stage 1 all the time but the fact it jumps the boost from 9-10 psi to something almost double that (for a mk5) makes me uncomfortable.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Hi thread, my 2017 Tiguan was stolen last week, and in the event it isn’t recovered I’m doing some planning.

I had a base model 110tsi with a luxury pack and sound and vision upgrade (360 cameras, leather seats etc. loved it, it was extremely good to me and all the crap I need to haul around in my job as a location photographer.

Given that it spent 90% of its life with the rear seats folded down, I’ve begun to consider a wagon on practicality.

Here in Australia we’ve got access to the Passat Alltrack, and a Passat 206 r-line

With the alltrack it’s priced at approx $62k Australian, with the premium trim. It seems to be pretty solid, if looking a bit old now, but I really like it. It’d also be a decent power bump over the 110 I used to have and gains 4motion.

With the 206 r-line it’s $69k but another performance bump, slightly lowered, larger wheels, and you go from the 7 speed dsg down to a 6 speed. You also lose the ventilated seats from the alltrack. But it does look lovely.

I was wondering if anyone had had experience with Passat wagons, how they drive, especially if you’ve moved from an SUV.

And if it was your money, would you see the value in going for the 206 with the increased performance, or is it not such a huge deal. Thanks all!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rusty posted:

APR claims 240 HP and 285 FT-LBS of torque for 91 octane which is 10 more HP and 30 more torque than the stock GTI.

https://www.goapr.com/products/software/ecu_upgrade/gasoline/4/18t_ea888_g3/parts/ECU-18T-EA888-3-T-IS12

That's pretty neat for $500 and I love the VW sport wagon.

the suspension is still softer, it doesn't really drive like a GTI even though it's straight line competitive. source: APR+ on a Mk. 7.5 Alltrack. Granted the Alltrack is a little floatier than the JSW but it still has beefier sways and some other poo poo from the factory.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Yeast posted:

Hi thread, my 2017 Tiguan was stolen last week, and in the event it isn’t recovered I’m doing some planning.

I had a base model 110tsi with a luxury pack and sound and vision upgrade (360 cameras, leather seats etc. loved it, it was extremely good to me and all the crap I need to haul around in my job as a location photographer.

Given that it spent 90% of its life with the rear seats folded down, I’ve begun to consider a wagon on practicality.

Here in Australia we’ve got access to the Passat Alltrack, and a Passat 206 r-line

With the alltrack it’s priced at approx $62k Australian, with the premium trim. It seems to be pretty solid, if looking a bit old now, but I really like it. It’d also be a decent power bump over the 110 I used to have and gains 4motion.

With the 206 r-line it’s $69k but another performance bump, slightly lowered, larger wheels, and you go from the 7 speed dsg down to a 6 speed. You also lose the ventilated seats from the alltrack. But it does look lovely.

I was wondering if anyone had had experience with Passat wagons, how they drive, especially if you’ve moved from an SUV.

And if it was your money, would you see the value in going for the 206 with the increased performance, or is it not such a huge deal. Thanks all!

I recently got a new Alltrack and I'm pretty happy with it. It drives nicely, a bit quicker than my previous Skoda Octavia, which had the same engine as your Tiguan, and nice and calm on the highway. I mainly got a car when I started hunbting, so the slightly higher ground clearance is nice when going on backroads in Swedish autumn/winter, which is all off road capability I need, and the trunk capacity is massive. I think the Skoda Superb is the only wagon with more space. The Audi A6 i got as a rental a while back has less trunk space, despite being a larger car overall. Interior quality is pretty nice. Slightly better than the Tiguans I looked at. Compared to the Tiguan it also gets substantially better fuel milage.

Edit: Since I wanted the improved ground clearance I never considered other Passat variants.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Edit: Quote is not edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah my Golf Alltrack has been great so far, put about 6k miles on it. If I still have it after warranty, I plan to tune it, though my local guy is Unitronic, not APR.