Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

How are u posted:

Hey me too! We are going camping and we've stopped to eat luncj/dinner outdoors at a small town pizzeria. The beer is so good!

For the record I am not on a camping trip with How are u though I also am eating pizza outdoors while camping

Someone spot me a tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fritz the Horse posted:

For the record I am not on a camping trip with How are u though I also am eating pizza outdoors while camping

Someone spot me a tax

not mine but

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
I think a lot of the people in the USA right now saying they’re not seeing anyone even while vaccinated are probably in a better space to do that because you could see anyone if you chose. It’s your personal choice and risk assessment.

Right now my government is telling me “vaccinated? Too bad, stay home”.

My state has 75% people first dosed, and I cannot see a vaccinated friend, even outdoors. It’s complete overkill.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I see friends and family. I just don’t post about how those that don’t are cave dwelling hermits, or constantly ask them what would be satisfactory for them to “live with Covid” as the pandemic continues to rage.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

I see friends and family. I just don’t post about how those that don’t are cave dwelling hermits, or constantly ask them what would be satisfactory for them to “live with Covid” as the pandemic continues to rage.

And that’s my point. You get to make that choice. In Victoria right now vaccinated people have no choices.

No one wants to go to loving brunch but I’d like to see a friend at least. I won’t get to do that until at least November 5.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tbh I wasn't really calling out the content of their post so much as referring to "individual risk assessment" as their word and somehow unfit for use by other people in here.

Gio posted:

The part where you leave your bathtub full of hand sanitizer. That’s where I do all my posting

efb

In sincerity, the part where people say “happy hour at a bar is ok” during a raging pandemic.

In sincerity to you, I agree with that last part and it's where my personal line is currently drawn.

StrangeThing posted:

For those who are vaccinated and continue to stay at home as much as possible, not see friends etc, at what point would you consider it safe to do those things again? Lower case numbers?

Personally I’m a “get vaccinated and do what you want” person but that’s probably a factor of my government telling me I can’t visit another vaccinated friend or else lll get a 1700 dollar fine. It’s pretty bullshit.

Well for me personally, I am a type 1 diabetic, and while I currently have good control over my BGLs, I have still had complications arise. As long as our vaccination rate remains abysmal and protective measures at stores remain pretty much unenforced (and I sure as gently caress don't expect anyone making minimum wage to tell some assholes they need to put their mask on or leave the store), I'm not going out anywhere.

Part of this is because we started relaxing a little bit with family, and 2 family members who were fully vaxxed got covid with fairly gnarly symptoms. Neither of them needed hospitalization, but it was a close enough call that I didn't have any interest in taking any further unnecessary risks. We have managed to maintain a lot of social content by playing tabletop games over discord and video games with friends and we don't feel like we're missing out by not seeing people in person. The weather's been great and we've been able to spend a lot of time outdoors, and we have a few close friends we still trust enough to see on an infrequent basis.

It's the reality of the world I currently inhabit. Maybe under different circumstances I'd be back2brunch, but it's just not where I stand at the moment.

e: realized that you're in a different country and while I can sympathize and definitely appreciate an outside the US perspective, but personal responsibility and the honor system worked out pretty terrible for us. I'd take not seeing my family and friends for a while rather than the dumb poo poo we pulled here. Perhaps Australia would be better at it, I don't know. But hang in there, I am absolutely cheering for you to see your family whenever you can.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 25, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

It’s complete overkill.

No it isn't.

You're just frustrated about the situation and that's understandable. But just like you don't go risking drunk driving, don't participate in behaviors that are inherently riskier to other people than yourself.

It's not hard.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I know I'm gonna be called a loving idiot but I regularly hangout with vaxxed friends and family because the alternative is crippling depression. Had one breakthrough case out of about 15 people in the past 6 months and it was the equivalent of a day of allergies 🤷‍♂️

If there was some realistic "end" to this then ya sure stay isolated but there isn't sooo....open Biden.

To each their own, poo poo sucks.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

No it isn't.

You're just frustrated about the situation and that's understandable. But just like you don't go risking drunk driving, don't participate in behaviors that are inherently riskier to other people than yourself.

It's not hard.

A vaccinated person seeing another vaccinated person outdoors is not terribly risky.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
Also LOL at someone telling me “it’s not hard”. Have you lived in state mandated lockdown for over 230 days? gently caress off.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

A vaccinated person seeing another vaccinated person outdoors is not terribly risky.

Depends what you're doing but I had missed the "outdoors" part. Sorry about that

StrangeThing posted:

Also LOL at someone telling me “it’s not hard”. Have you lived in state mandated lockdown for over 230 days? gently caress off.

Okay, I'm less sympathetic now.

From the bottom of my heart, I do not give a gently caress about your circumstances, or your personal wellbeing. Choosing a risk means you have to be okay with the consequences, and being informed that there are consequences for other people doesn't make your "personal risk assessment" any less of a dick move if you decide you matter more than people who are at risk.

It's not loving hard, you're just a soft, whiny baby.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 25, 2021

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Depends what you're doing but I had missed the "outdoors" part. Sorry about that

Sitting outside and drinking a coffee, eating something? Not risky and it’s bullshit my government isn’t allowing that to happen at 70% second dose.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

e. Forget it

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

You do not understand risk.

You’re right. Vaccinated people shouldn’t go outside even for exercise.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

You’re right. Vaccinated people shouldn’t go outside even for exercise.

You know what, I changed my mind. You should definitely go outside

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

From the bottom of my heart, I do not give a gently caress about your circumstances, or your personal wellbeing. Choosing a risk means you have to be okay with the consequences, and being informed that there are consequences for other people doesn't make your "personal risk assessment" any less of a dick move if you decide you matter more than people who are at risk.

Hahaha you’re a loving rear end in a top hat. I guarantee if you had to experience what’s happening here you’d loving crack. Go gently caress yourself. Two vaccinated people seeing each other outdoors is nearly the lowest point on the risk scale and if you can’t handle that, sounds like you’re the loving soft one.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

Hahaha you’re a loving rear end in a top hat. I guarantee if you had to experience what’s happening here you’d loving crack. Go gently caress yourself. Two vaccinated people seeing each other outdoors is nearly the lowest point on the risk scale and if you can’t handle that, sounds like you’re the loving soft one.

We know that it cannot be allowed while significant community spread of delta is in progress. You can't have both lax NPIs and strong control of delta, and you cannot live with it at the US prevalence, so I am not sure what your miraculous option here is.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

poll plane variant posted:

We know that it cannot be allowed while significant community spread of delta is in progress. You can't have both lax NPIs and strong control of delta, and you cannot live with it at the US prevalence, so I am not sure what your miraculous option here is.

Let two vaccinated people visit each other outdoors. Not hard. Outdoor transmission is incredibly rare.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

Ahh yes, et tu. Lovely.

Yeah I stopped being conciliatory at about the seventh loving funeral I had to miss due to shitheads who think like you prolonging this. I'm okay being viewed as an rear end in a top hat, because being nice about basic concepts doesn't work. And you don't even know my situation, you can't guarantee poo poo. Do you really think the situation in places where there wasn't a lockdown wasn't difficult, especially for those who have kids or immunocompromised family that have done nothing wrong? You don't have any idea what it's like to watch your friends and family slowly die off because "oh, I'm sure it's fine to eat out, it's been a year" or straight-up science-denial.

I get that you've yet to really see what it's like in a place with high deaths, so I'll back off, but I'm not the one freaking the gently caress out over being told that risky behaviors have consequences for people other than yourself.

StrangeThing posted:

Let two vaccinated people visit each other outdoors. Not hard. Outdoor transmission is incredibly rare.

If delta weren't a thing I'd agree with you, but oops:
Guess it is. See the fun thing about having to slog through years of this poo poo where you actually live the pandemic day to day is that you get to see it happen in front of you. It isn't a mystery, you watch otherwise fine people get sick and screw their friends and family over. Instead of a lockdown which, yes, sucks rear end; you get a rolling death. One day you wake up and "oh, almost 700,000 are dead so far? When did that happen? Well I guess 3,000 a day isn't unheard of, and it's been a long time..."

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Were your friends and family who have passed vaccinated? I am truly sorry either way.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Yeah I stopped being conciliatory at about the seventh loving funeral I had to miss due to shitheads who think like you prolonging this.

Your problem is that you're lumping in "going to brunch" with completely safe activities and saying they're the same. They're not.

quote:

I'm okay being viewed as an rear end in a top hat, because being nice about basic concepts doesn't work. And you don't even know my situation, you can't guarantee poo poo. Do you really think the situation in places where there wasn't a lockdown wasn't difficult, especially for those who have kids or immunocompromised family that have done nothing wrong? You don't have any idea what it's like to watch your friends and family slowly die off because "oh, I'm sure it's fine to eat out, it's been a year" or straight-up science-denial.

My point is that you have a choice. You have a choice to participate in activities that don't spread the virus but keep you sane. I don't have that choice. I'm prevented from doing activities that have absolutely nothing to do with spreading COVID, but they're implemented under the guise of "stopping the spread of the virus". You haven't lived under that and yes, it's true that this situation is better than living in a state where deaths are skyrocketing, but it doesn't make it good or right.

quote:

I get that you've yet to really see what it's like in a place with high deaths, so I'll back off, but I'm not the one freaking the gently caress out over being told that risky behaviors have consequences for people other than yourself.

Two vaccinated people seeing each other outdoors is not risky

quote:

If delta weren't a thing I'd agree with you, but oops:
Guess it is. See the fun thing about having to slog through years of this poo poo where you actually live the pandemic day to day is that you get to see it happen in front of you.

Neither of those links prove your point. The first isn't talking about outdoor transmission, the second fully admits that outdoor transmission is rare. Rarer so for vaccinated people.

Stop thinking that every activity carries the same amount of risk.

StrangeThing fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 25, 2021

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

/\/\ stop dribbling that verbal diarrhea. Literally none of that is accurate. I never said risks weren't relative, because that's dumber than you.

How are u posted:

Were your friends and family who have passed vaccinated? I am truly sorry either way.

Two were immunocompromised, one from surgery, the other from badly timed treatment for Hodgkin's. A few died from having what we consider survivable conditions that suddenly weren't because of the strain on hospitals (prognoses varied, so possibly not entirely due to this), and two others to accidents. Another suicide, a few friends that never had cause of death on obit. A few older folks at the beginning died without a vaccine too.

But thing is; this isn't uncommon or something everyone else in North America isn't going through either. Everybody has stories like this. Everybody. And it's because of the fact this has gone on so long. The last family member I saw before moving away from the US was run over last week and we're just numb to it now. So many passings that we have to just mourn on our own because we can't leave the country.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 25, 2021

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

/\/\ stop dribbling that verbal diarrhea. Literally none of that is accurate.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/24/its-in-the-air-you-breathe-what-you-need-to-know-about-sydneys-delta-covid-variant

This article mentions nothing about outdoor transmission.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly/2021/08/25/outdoor-masks-are-back-sort-of-blame-delta-494131

quote:

John Volckens, a mechanical engineering professor at Colorado State University who studies aerosol emissions, told Nightly. He admits we still don’t have all the data about outdoor transmission versus indoor transmission from 2020, let alone data about the Delta variant.

Still, think about hanging out with a smoker, he said. Outdoors, those cigarette plumes dissipate into the air or get swept away in the wind. So you’re less likely to breathe in secondhand smoke.

But the Delta variant is like a cigarette with more smoke coming out of it. Even outdoors you are at risk of catching a whiff, though if you are vaccinated you will likely be fine.

“The Oregon rule is not being written for you and 10 other families at a park,” Volckens said. “What it’s being written for are outdoor concerts, where you are shoulder to shoulder with a thousand other people. You are going to share some air.”

So, what the gently caress is your problem with two vaccinated people in a park, again?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I get that this is fun for you, but you'll have to find another playmate. Kiddo just woke up from her nap with something far more well-formed than your arguments in their diaper.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 25, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

StrangeThing posted:

And that’s my point. You get to make that choice. In Victoria right now vaccinated people have no choices.

No one wants to go to loving brunch but I’d like to see a friend at least. I won’t get to do that until at least November 5.

You’re complaining about lockdowns in a thread of posters from countries that have completely abandoned NPI’s and told their citizens to go play chicken with nature as hundreds/thousands die daily. I don’t think you’re going to find much sympathy from anyone here because you can’t have coffee with your friend.

I would gladly give up my freedom to see family and friends if it meant my government (and countrymen) gave a poo poo about Covid.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
"Ah, well, nevertheless."

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

You’re complaining about lockdowns in a thread of posters from countries that have completely abandoned NPI’s and told their citizens to go play chicken with nature as hundreds/thousands die daily. I don’t think you’re going to find much sympathy from anyone here because you can’t have coffee with your friend.

I don't really give a poo poo about sympathy, I care about governments implementing laws that have absolutely nothing to do with stopping the transmission of a virus, and posters in this thread spreading straight-up misinformation.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

I don't really give a poo poo about sympathy, I care about governments implementing laws that have absolutely nothing to do with stopping the transmission of a virus, and posters in this thread spreading straight-up misinformation.

:ironicat:

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

You're welcome to actually counter my arguments with something substantial, though I find it unlikely given the links you cited actually say the opposite of what you're trying to argue.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

You're welcome to actually counter my arguments with something substantial, though I find it unlikely given the links you cited actually say the opposite of what you're trying to argue.

I'm meeting effort with effort

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
For what it's worth, I agree with StrangeThing. Meeting a singular fellow vaccinated person outside in the sun with nobody else around is as safe as it possibly gets.

I'm actually meeting a few friends a week, all vaccinated of course and everyone is testing regularly. My personal ideology is to have some space between meetings in order to prevent infecting myself at one meeting and spreading it to another one. I don't really feel personally afraid of covid anymore. But I really don't want to be responsible for infecting someone.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 25, 2021

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

StrangeThing posted:

poll plane variant posted:

This.

Relaxing NPIs is a slippery slope we’ve seen again and again in country after country. We know exactly where it leads. The less of a hold governments get on Covid, the more they give up and get rid of NPIs, the more death and misery they’re willing to tolerate.

Would you like to go there?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

cant cook creole bream posted:

For what it's worth, I agree with StrangeThing. Meeting a singular fellow vaccinated person outside in the sun with nobody else around is as safe as it possibly gets.

Absolutely not the point.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

I'm meeting effort with effort

You posted two links that you said argued that outdoor transmission is a risk with Delta.

1. The first link said nothing about outdoor transmission.
2. The second link mentioned an expert saying that outdoor mask mandates are not designed for people meeting in parks.

Neither of these counter my argument that two vaccinated people meeting in a park is perfectly safe.

If you want to offer some other proof or study that outdoor transmission for two vaccinated people in a park is a significant risk factor, then go for it. But these two links don't do that.

Posting emojis and quips doesn't stop your "proof" from being insufficient.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

Absolutely not the point.

Then what's the point?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

StrangeThing posted:

Then what's the point?

That relaxing NPIs is a pandora’s box you can’t close.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

This.

Relaxing NPIs is a slippery slope we’ve seen again and again in country after country. We know exactly where it leads. The less of a hold governments get on Covid, the more they give up and get rid of NPIs, the more death and misery they’re willing to tolerate.

Would you like to go there?

The "slippery slope" argument literally justifies any police measure that could potentially stop COVID.

We're seeing that right now in Melbourne, where we are under curfew - despite the health officer saying that there is no medical reason curfews are implemented.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

This is bullshit, because it's essentially saying that any rule to prevent the spread of COVID is justified, no matter how little health advice actually informed the rule in question.

Public health measures should be informed by science, not by simply saying "we need to stop all contact whatsoever".

If science tells us that outdoor meetings between two vaccinated people are safe, then they should be allowed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So on the one hand your buddy says we shouldn’t call people cave-dwelling hermits for wanting to stay indoors forever, and on the other we have you calling people “soft, whiny babies” for wanting to see a vaccinated friend outdoors.

Maybe the IK should decide what type of conduct is acceptable in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Gio posted:

StrangeThing posted:

This is bullshit, because it's essentially saying that any rule to prevent the spread of COVID is justified, no matter how little health advice actually informed the rule in question.

I concur. Also every industry and cooperation should permanently close their offices and factories, because those are notorious for spreading the disease.
Not meeting any personal contacts, no matter how safe it is, but still having countless of contacts at work is obviously useless.