Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The price of TF2 keys seems to be steadily dropping in market maneuvers probably too silly to understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Det_no posted:

Oh I guess that Castlevania Collection came out on Steam too. Neat.
Any idea how good the emulation is?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mescal posted:

I don't want to sound dramatic, but my plan now is to crucify myself, upside down, in Kojima's garden so his family finds my body.

haha

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Mescal posted:

I've been really enjoying MGS V. The second overlong unfun mission in it is the one where you get Emmerich. I don't know how long I spent. I finally got the guy, and made my way out, then you have a big enemy who you have to run away from. The point of this scene is that Snake is running away from this enemy. They told me to find a good place to hide, so I ran for one--outside of bounds. "Warning: approaching edge of mission area" then I tried to turn around but literally could not turn around fast enough and a voice says:

I didn't stress. I had a checkpoint. They couldn't mean from the top. They couldn't.

Even the cruelest games I've ever played would not dream of deleting my save file for a mistake. An unavoidable mistake. THEIR mistake! They... deleted my file.

I don't want to sound dramatic, but my plan now is to crucify myself, upside down, in Kojima's garden so his family finds my body.

Is this real? It can't be real. Your whole save file or your latest checkpoint? Wtf. I wanted to try MGSV but I'm scared now

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MGSV doesn't delete your save file, if that actually happened it was a bug in the game or your HDD/SSD is failing

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
I assumed it was a joke, as when I played there was never anything even close to that going on. Same as all the grinding someone was talking about earlier, you just kind of build whatever and as long as you're not completionist ocd about filling in boxes just ignore any crafting stuff that seems silly.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Mescal posted:

I've been really enjoying MGS V. The second overlong unfun mission in it is the one where you get Emmerich. I don't know how long I spent. I finally got the guy, and made my way out, then you have a big enemy who you have to run away from. The point of this scene is that Snake is running away from this enemy. They told me to find a good place to hide, so I ran for one--outside of bounds. "Warning: approaching edge of mission area" then I tried to turn around but literally could not turn around fast enough and a voice says:

I didn't stress. I had a checkpoint. They couldn't mean from the top. They couldn't.

Even the cruelest games I've ever played would not dream of deleting my save file for a mistake. An unavoidable mistake. THEIR mistake! They... deleted my file.

I guess after losing your savegame you're feeling a kind of... phantom pain.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Any idea how good the emulation is?

M2 worked on it so they did a fine job as usual and there are some decent extra features in it. I've only played Circle of the Moon so far but there's a glossary you can access in game to look up what items specific enemies can drop.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

sad question posted:

I guess after losing your savegame you're feeling a kind of... phantom pain.

Sam, this is Die-Hardman. That joke? Well, that's just super. Keep on keeping on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If you are "norwehn" on steam, your account got hacked

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why do I get a dozen sub-200 kilobyte downloads on Steam per day for the games I have installed

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
i hope the guy developing World of Horror isn't dead, it could be a really good game when it's finished

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tripwood posted:

Is this real? It can't be real. Your whole save file or your latest checkpoint?

All the checkpoints from that "episode."

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Gort posted:

Why do I get a dozen sub-200 kilobyte downloads on Steam per day for the games I have installed

This. It's throwing me off.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
it's almost like this Kojima guy is bad at the "game" part of "video games" :thunkher:

(she says, having almost platinumed Death Stranding :j: )

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

With those games I'm often interested in the concept but then I hear about having to do some insanely tedious thing, or watch 3 hour-long unskippable cutscenes, and it's no thanks

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mescal posted:

All the checkpoints from that "episode."
I have a silly question.

Did you use the cardboard box delivery point travel methods anywhere during the mission? Because last I was playing I realized those don't trigger an autosave/checkpoint :shepface:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

i have a video game laptop im posting on right now while lying down on my couch and it is great. i got a desktop a few months ago for fancy fpses but i still use the laptop more. you can buy a fan tray for it to rest on for 20 bux and then it doesn't get hot. i don't even try to cure cancer on it either lol.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't sent mine back yet I'm still debating.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OzFactor posted:

Humble has a new bundle with Trailmakers in it. Has anyone played it? It looks like the kind of thing my five year old would totally love... is it kid friendly?
Probably depends what you hope to get out of it. A five year old will probably need a lot of help in the campaign. What it wants from you gets very elaborate very fast and they'd need constant help building vehicles and with some of the more delicate traversal and collection.

If you just want to download some workshop vehicles into sandbox you can do far worse.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Section Z posted:

I have a silly question.

Did you use the cardboard box delivery point travel methods anywhere during the mission? Because last I was playing I realized those don't trigger an autosave/checkpoint :shepface:

I walked the whole way. But it didn't matter because, again, the game deleted all autosaves from that episode. I didn't notice any yellow delivery points in that area. I tried to destroy anti-air dishes so I could chopper somewhere in that area in the future, but I think I was too far away when I hit the C4.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
hello everyone I have one more (hopefully the last) computer question that I'm hoping someone can help me with

So I'm trying to expand my RAM now that I've upgraded the GPU and (eventually) managed to locate the M.2 slot for my new drive I'm going to use for resource-intensive games

One of the limiting factors I'm now coming up against is my RAM situation. I have 2x 8 GB RAM that came with my prebuilt cyberpowerpc. After some investigation, I discovered that the RAM I already have is only 2400 MHz, and runs at an unusual timing of 17 - 17 - 17 - 39. I haven't been able to find any RAM that has this timing besides other 2400 MHz sticks that are kind of old, and not as cheap as you might expect. From what I understand faster sticks wouldn't make a difference anyways, they'd be automatically underclocked to match the slower RAM.

So my question is should I buy another set of 2x8 GB RAM at 2400 Mhz and that same timing to add on, or should I just go clean and get two brand new 16GB, 3200+ MHz sticks which will fully replace the old ones? The total GB of RAM would be the same, but the advantage would be that I'd still have two slots AND the RAM would be running faster overall. But it's also a lot more expensive, and I don't really expect to upgrade above 32 GBs RAM for a long long time if ever. Does the MHz make a big difference or is it something I can kind of ignore? Is there anything bad about shutting down the computer, removing the current RAM and putting in brand new RAM? That should go fine right?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you would need to check what ur cpu and motherboard can support

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Check what your CPU can support, yeah. Also those timings are pretty good tbh

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
I am all in on Inscryption. I was intrigued based on preview info, but that demo sold me completely. Can't wait.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grapplejack posted:

Check what your CPU can support, yeah. Also those timings are pretty good tbh

It says it can support up to 128 GB of DDR4 and two memory channels (but that means 4 total sticks of dual memory, right?) Seems fine since I'm only trying to expand to 32 GB total.

Also, what makes a timing 'good' just out of curiosity? I'm more wondering if it is worth moving from 2400 MHz to 3200+ MHz, or should I just get copies of what I have now and throw them in?

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I am all in on Inscryption. I was intrigued based on preview info, but that demo sold me completely. Can't wait.

I was sold on that gif someone posted earlier lol, gonna check out the demo now

e: nvm I thought you were talking about that 3D/pixel boomer shooter someone posted earlier. The card game looks cool too

Play fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 25, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam/beta-rollback-update

How likely are they going to roll this "feature" out? I usually mod games, so I need the functionality to rollback to previous versions of the game.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Gadfly posted:

How likely are they going to roll this "feature" out? I usually mod games, so I need the functionality to rollback to previous versions of the game.
Very likely, I didn't know it was even possible to download old versions of games, they always patch as soon as they can.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Fixins posted:

I haven't sent mine back yet I'm still debating.

Keep it and start playing some video games

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

being thoughtful about purchases is a good thing. either way you land its worth genuinely thinking it through rahterh than giving over to base impulses.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Very likely, I didn't know it was even possible to download old versions of games, they always patch as soon as they can.

Yeah, since when was that a thing you could do?

C&C3 has a semi broken singleplayer due to later game versions but as far as i was aware you couldn't pick which version to download.

edit: though that might be down to it maybe being the only version made available on Steam.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 25, 2021

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Gadfly posted:

It's 100% pure speculation at this point so hard to tell. On that note, my 100% pure speculation is that this is a change to patch the infamous Spacewar loophole used by pirates to play their games on Steam. Maybe even that other thing that lets people pirate DLC.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
You have to use Steam console commands to get earlier versions, it's basically unsupported debug commands. I assume the beta branch system will continue as before.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am not into horror games (I think I mentioned this in a previous post but I am a weenier) and quite frankly I respect what Pony Island was doing but I couldn't get into it. That said I do want to try to convince myself to try the Incryption demo; It does look quite good.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Gadfly posted:

You can't reasonably expect to be able to install Steam games by any process other than clicking the Install button.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Skatebird is... not very good. I realize it's a tiny team that raised maybe around 70-80K through crowdsourcing so it never had a huge budget or anything, but it's disappointing that the game has worse controls than the classics it's trying so hard to emulate.

Feels like it should've been on Steam Early Access instead of being released simultaneously across multiple platforms, because it's just not ready. The dev is already saying they're gonna throw out default Unity camera system and build a new one from scratch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I feel like Unity stank is the new "didn't tweak any UE3 settings so everything is brown and greasy".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

we've already moved on to ue4 default bloom and motion blur settings while running at 12 fps

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ErrEff posted:

Skatebird is... not very good. I realize it's a tiny team that raised maybe around 70-80K through crowdsourcing so it never had a huge budget or anything, but it's disappointing that the game has worse controls than the classics it's trying so hard to emulate.

Feels like it should've been on Steam Early Access instead of being released simultaneously across multiple platforms, because it's just not ready. The dev is already saying they're gonna throw out default Unity camera system and build a new one from scratch.
Did they specify what they meant with the "default Unity camera system", because uuuuuh. Were they talking about the whole rendering pipeline, or did they slap the basic camera as a child to the player object and call it a day?

Edit: I haven't played this game so I have no idea what's wrong with it, just seen people say it's kinda poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Did they specify what they meant with the "default Unity camera system", because uuuuuh. Were they talking about the whole rendering pipeline, or did they slap the basic camera as a child to the player object and call it a day?

Edit: I haven't played this game so I have no idea what's wrong with it, just seen people say it's kinda poo poo

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/971030/view/4746220900731493492

quote:

The current camera represents how far I was able to take Unity Cinemachine without it shaking itself apart, so the fix is to essentially throw out the camera system and write my own up from entirely bare metal. Totally doable, just takes a bit longer.