Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

indigi posted:

drop a time stamp I’m not watching a 60 minutes video of hysterical Australians to find the good part

First 2 mins has someone saying China is worse than Darth Vader. I wonder if they reference harry potter at some point.

lmao

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They never even ask the question of what is Australia's actual interest in going to war with China, because it's such a foregone conclusion that Australia will do anything the United States tells it to.

Exactly. The whole premise is dependent on all the Wests worst fever dreams of China happening and somehow endangering Australia by doing so. I really love that my govt is picking a fight with a growing superpower and our largest trade partner, this cant go wrong at all...

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

thatfatkid posted:

Exactly. The whole premise is dependent on all the Wests worst fever dreams of China happening and somehow endangering Australia by doing so. I really love that my govt is picking a fight with a growing superpower and our largest trade partner, this cant go wrong at all...

Australia is being inexplicably belligerent with China for no good reason, even in terms of them being a cat's paw for American interests. It only makes a little sense if you assume the US is pressuring them to take a hit because we want to test Chinese resolve, but it's more likely that Australia is going full paranoid on a lot of bad assumptions made from following America's lead.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://nation.com.pk/25-Sep-2021/iraq-to-buy-12-jf-17-thunder-jets-from-pakistan

quote:

ISLAMABAD - In a landmark development Pakistan got another international defence order from Iraq for the sale of 12 fighter jets JF-17 Thunder Block III, manufactured at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC) Kamra.

Top official sources told The Nation that several rounds of negotiations between Pakistan and Iraq on fighter jets continued this year at the highest level but finally completed with the visiting Iraqi defence delegation led by Deputy Commander Iraqi Air Force Major General (Pilot) Muhammad Majeed Mahdi Mahmood and top Pakistani officials. Gen Mehdi is on an official visit to Pakistan.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/FT/status/1441901486355750915?s=19

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Australia is being inexplicably belligerent with China for no good reason, even in terms of them being a cat's paw for American interests. It only makes a little sense if you assume the US is pressuring them to take a hit because we want to test Chinese resolve, but it's more likely that Australia is going full paranoid on a lot of bad assumptions made from following America's lead.

Yeah pretty sure its mostly the liberals here in australia letting the mask slip and going full fashy/racist over the thought of not being able to bully the local asian nations anymore and being less powerful than a non-white country.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sure they can.

Nuclear exchanges aren't going to be triggered unless it's over something either party considers existential. The cost of the exchange has to be considered worth the price of preserving somebody's claim to something or other. In that case, China's claim to Taiwan is more of an existential issue to them than it is to us - but even then China would not bring the nukes out because they have the material advantage and would win. The US isn't going to just launch nukes because it feels humiliated, either.

The most likely outcome is that there's not going to be a war at all, because the United States is too afraid of losing. OTOH, there could be a war because military planners or the White House want to use a loss as an excuse to either reform or supercharge the MIC.

this doesn’t seem very dialectical. from my perspective there’s no path the improved material conditions in the US. there’s no negotiated labor peace and growing republican anger over financial engineering. the can has reached the end of the road, the frontier has closed, and the empire is turning inward. biden just lost a very profitable war on live TV. where does that excess industrial capacity go? a “peace dividend?” hopefully the left doesn’t fall for that canard again.

so what happens next? to me it’s either a continuation of the clinton-obama doctrine of “smart” wars, which seems unlikely to succeed as a quarter of the planet is already under US sanction and even vassals are feeling the squeeze of profitability. maybe there will be a hot war against a lesser power, with all the problems that come from Vietnam-era casualties. my guess is that the lead-poisoned dipshit boomers and true believer millennial strivers who control the bureaucracy of this wretched nation will be swept aside by a blood drinking psychopath who will refuse to back down until the US navy is sitting at the bottom of the ocean. we’ll see how the national psyche responds, but I don’t think leftists can go wrong by being cynical about the rapacity of capital under threat

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

isn't the blue dot network an actual debt trap where the cosignee gets basically nothing out of it, unlike BRI, which does provide infrastructure and surprisingly reasonable (covid economy exempted) back payment terms

pretty much, the info about it is pretty opaque and vague, but it is like "we totally have private interests who will pay for this" and really just seems like """foreign aid""" with extra steps that they probably won't even pay out in the first place. a lot of BRI projects they don't even bother asking for repayment for, as the point of them in the first place is to bolster trade relations

there's only been one occasion where they were having trouble paying back or being productive with a BRI project, i forget offhand where it was, but it was some kind of port, and they basically got together with china and made the port run by an SOC in order to help them turn it around and manage it properly. the priority really is to have the infrastructure working and trading with china in sharp contrast to the rug pull bullshit the imf/world bank/blue dot/whatever regularly pulls where it's just a way to enslave the local population and extract resources

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Centrist Committee posted:

this doesn’t seem very dialectical. from my perspective there’s no path the improved material conditions in the US. there’s no negotiated labor peace and growing republican anger over financial engineering. the can has reached the end of the road, the frontier has closed, and the empire is turning inward. biden just lost a very profitable war on live TV. where does that excess industrial capacity go? a “peace dividend?” hopefully the left doesn’t fall for that canard again.

so what happens next? to me it’s either a continuation of the clinton-obama doctrine of “smart” wars, which seems unlikely to succeed as a quarter of the planet is already under US sanction and even vassals are feeling the squeeze of profitability. maybe there will be a hot war against a lesser power, with all the problems that come from Vietnam-era casualties. my guess is that the lead-poisoned dipshit boomers and true believer millennial strivers who control the bureaucracy of this wretched nation will be swept aside by a blood drinking psychopath who will refuse to back down until the US navy is sitting at the bottom of the ocean. we’ll see how the national psyche responds, but I don’t think leftists can go wrong by being cynical about the rapacity of capital under threat

The blood drinking psychopath who refuses to back down is also amenable to those who want to reform the US military & defense industry, because a humiliating defeat is the perfect excuse to revamp our ability to wage war and be an empire. The national response to being humiliated is to double down and seek revenge wherever possible - that still doesn't mean revenge is going to take the form of a nuclear exchange.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

posts like that are how you know he really cares about oppressed people and it’s not just part of a culture war against the “tankies”

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

I thought these would be the older used block 1 block 2 from Pakistan. It's interesting how Pakistan is making new block 3 JF17 to export to Iraq, and China is also making their block 3 to export to Argentina if the sale goes through.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I don't think the chairman sends young women to clerk for a rapist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/OkButStill/status/1441920477748998144?s=19

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
papa xi

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

this is a messaging shift because "china is strong and powerful" might lead some to think "let's not fight them but find a way to work things out." the propaganda line instead turns into "we have to fight china because they're weak and will lash out and strike us first"

https://twitter.com/china_takes/status/1441796646459691008

It'd actually own to be paid shitloads of money to be wrong but if I was doing that I'd at least write something cool instead of dull nerd poo poo.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

CaptainACAB posted:

It'd actually own to be paid shitloads of money to be wrong but if I was doing that I'd at least write something cool instead of dull nerd poo poo.

I'm wrong and write dull nerd poo poo all the time! I really need to break into that racket.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CaptainACAB posted:

yea it feels like if I was being paid to just lie and be stupid I'd pick something fun to lie about.

China is secretly working on human animal hybrids, but not the sexy kind, the scary kind!

Hire me, media!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

2024 is gonna own so hard

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i believe in blacks for trump

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

2024 is gonna own so hard

remember when one of Joe's first ads was calling Trump a big pussy who wasn't being hard on China because obviously those bastards are lying about covid?

At this rate it's gonna be a race to see who can call Xi 'president ching chong' in the first debate.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Why the gently caress is the PM of Canada at a Trump rally?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can anyone recommend any good books about chinese economic development and or family life

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
There seem to be a bit of new book on Chinese economy coming out recently. I haven't read them although I would like to

https://youtu.be/E7GbGWH8lPw

https://youtu.be/ehCKkHHp3IM

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Red and Black posted:

Anyone else seen this totally unhinged 60 Minutes Australia video? Very much a pro watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA2KaEKs1LA

With all the things already mentioned, it's the concentration camp joke that got me. That's just grim

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

so what's up with the Canadians, I'm gonna assume by 'hostages' and poo poo they mean 'they did some dumb finance crimes and are angry China held them to the laws'?

one guy is a friend of Kim Jong Un and got beat up for having the north korean flag on his stuff in south korea. when he got caught he was on the china side of the china/north korea boarder

if he's a spy its w/r/t north korea in some way

the other guy idk

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Red and Black posted:

Anyone else seen this totally unhinged 60 Minutes Australia video? Very much a pro watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA2KaEKs1LA

lol at the american navy admiral saying he doesn’t want to live in a world where xi jinping isn’t living in constant fear of an american nuclear first strike “at any moment, landing right on top of his head”

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

fart simpson posted:

lol at the american navy admiral saying he doesn’t want to live in a world where xi jinping isn’t living in constant fear of an american nuclear first strike “at any moment, landing right on top of his head”

It instantly brought to my mind the recent revelation that under Trump, Mark Milley had to call his counterpart in China to assure him that the US wasn't going launch a surprise nuclear attack against China. The worry being that China might attack US forces in the indo-pacific to preempt a perceived imminent attack by the US. This mad man posturing really does gently caress with the heads of the leadership of China and the US is playing a dangerous game.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Red and Black posted:

It instantly brought to my mind the recent revelation that under Trump, Mark Milley had to call his counterpart in China to assure him that the US wasn't going launch a surprise nuclear attack against China. The worry being that China might attack US forces in the indo-pacific to preempt a perceived imminent attack by the US. This mad man posturing really does gently caress with the heads of the leadership of China and the US is playing a dangerous game.

I think it only has convinced China they need a robust defense or the US and it’s allies will keep on trying brinkmanship and containment.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Red and Black posted:

Seems like a perfectly fine strategy to me*

*gets scared by an oddly shaped cloud and ends all multi-cellular life on the northern hemisphere.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

sexpig by night posted:

remember when one of Joe's first ads was calling Trump a big pussy who wasn't being hard on China because obviously those bastards are lying about covid?

At this rate it's gonna be a race to see who can call Xi 'president ching chong' in the first debate.

aye yes good thing we’ve been assured the nukes won’t fly though, that would be a serious breach of decorum by history’s most exceptional national

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It's lol how capitalist 'economics' has completely destroyed the ability for western countries to even function, let alone judge other countries' functionality

thatfatkid posted:

Yeah pretty sure its mostly the liberals here in australia letting the mask slip and going full fashy/racist over the thought of not being able to bully the local asian nations anymore and being less powerful than a non-white country.

Keep in mind after a revolving door of kicking out he last guy for not being insane enough Australia is currently run by a pentecostal christian fundie and appealing almost exclusively to boomer landlords and frothing fascists

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Some Guy TT posted:

can anyone recommend any good books about chinese economic development and or family life

I got this in my Verso book club and looking forward to reading it

https://www.versobooks.com/books/3779-china-in-one-village

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Red and Black posted:

I think China worried Trump will throw a "Soleimani" style surprise attack on some SCS infrastructure heading into the final phrase of the election. At the time I also thought this was a likely conflict point. I don't know if that new book has any more detail on that.

Trump probably got talked out of this loving idea so he tried to send his UN representative to Taiwan. Rumor was that China told US they would send fighters to block the plane entering Taiwan so that plan was scrapted. Pompeo was so pissed he cancelled his last trip to Europe.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 12:46 on Sep 26, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fart simpson posted:

at this point there's probably a thousand retired navy admirals, and all they had to do was find the one in Australia who was insane enough to say this on TV

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

at this point there's probably a thousand retired navy admirals, and all they had to do was find the one in Australia who was insane enough to say this on TV

yea as insane as that is people forget how loving many 'admirals' and 'generals' we have so there's a 'retired general/admiral' for anyone's agenda really

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
General and admiral are just the same mostly useless title of "Senior Vice President" or "Director" that goes to people bouyed by institutional inertia and credentials to positions of authority who are mostly just failing upwards provided they don't embarrass the other brass.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

General and admiral are just the same mostly useless title of "Senior Vice President" or "Director" that goes to people bouyed by institutional inertia and credentials to positions of authority who are mostly just failing upwards provided they don't embarrass the other brass.

In other news: F-35 pilots say their planes don't suck, while also saying they are trustable sources with no vested interests

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

weird way to say hes doing his job of governing

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think China worried Trump will throw a "Soleimani" style surprise attack on some SCS infrastructure heading into the final phrase of the election. At the time I also thought this was a likely conflict point. I don't know if that new book has any more detail on that.

Trump probably got talked out of this loving idea so he tried to send his UN representative to Taiwan. Rumor was that China told US they would send fighters to block the plane entering Taiwan so that plan was scrapted. Pompeo was so pissed he cancelled his last trip to Europe.

the soleimani assassination putting other countries like china on a hair trigger doesnt suprise me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Agrajag posted:

weird way to say hes doing his job of governing

look theres only so many buzz words we can use to describe asian people and weve already used most of the other ones