Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

i'm beginning to think these women are witches.

They must leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiraeh
Dec 7, 2014
Nah it's the spice agony that's killed everyone before Paul. The gom jabbar is just a preliminary test, one that - Jessica passed in training at a time when she wasn't on the Reverend Mother track at all.
The gom jabbar is basically an extreme marshmallow test. I don't think it's said anywhere, but it's probably a requirement for anyone serving the BG in a sensitive capacity.
Since it's something that even current humans could pass, it doesn't make sense as the main KH filter.

Edit: aha so late

kiraeh fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 25, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Remind me again why RM Gaius Helen Mohiam keeps saying stuff like "[the test is] to see if you're truly human," "this one only kills animals," etc.? I was sort of under the impression that somehow they had doubts that Paul wasn't some sort of Ixian machine or something? That part of the test always confused me.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

On the topic of Bene Gesserit witches and how they must leave, I looked up the scene again. What do you guys think the guildsmen in the background are doing with those pipes/devices in their mouth? Basically all of the unmasked dudes have those. It's kind of weird, but hey why not, the front guy somehow doesn't speak like a human and needs a translation staff, so maybe all of them just have these little pipes with spice in them or something, just what the guildsmen do you know.

Also as mentioned earlier, I really do love the vacuum cleaners attached to the navigator tank that they use to clean up (a little bit of) the mess they made.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
all i want to see is Baron Harkonen and his fat followers

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I liked how Baron Harkonnen looked in the new one, especially how they made it look while he's floating in his long flowing robes, but unfortunately he had very little screentime and wasn't really established IMO, that goes double for Rabban and Piter was really just a face in a crowd who showed up in some scenes and then died (anyone unfamiliar with the book probably wouldn't have realized he was a character), and the Harkonnens basically just felt like orcs.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Randarkman posted:

I liked how Baron Harkonnen looked in the new one, especially how they made it look while he's floating in his long flowing robes, but unfortunately he had very little screentime and wasn't really established IMO, that goes double for Rabban and Piter was really just a face in a crowd who showed up in some scenes and then died (anyone unfamiliar with the book probably wouldn't have realized he was a character), and the Harkonnens basically just felt like orcs.

this guy gets it

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mister Speaker posted:

Remind me again why RM Gaius Helen Mohiam keeps saying stuff like "[the test is] to see if you're truly human," "this one only kills animals," etc.? I was sort of under the impression that somehow they had doubts that Paul wasn't some sort of Ixian machine or something? That part of the test always confused me.

They're not concerned that he's not literally a human being, they're testing if he has enough self-control over his "animal" instincts to continue being useful to the BG.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

They're not concerned that he's not literally a human being, they're testing if he has enough self-control over his "animal" instincts to continue being useful to the BG.

They basically want to see if he's like that sea snake the one senator uses as a metaphor when he schemes with Joaquin Phoenix in Gladiator.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Randarkman posted:

On the topic of Bene Gesserit witches and how they must leave, I looked up the scene again. What do you guys think the guildsmen in the background are doing with those pipes/devices in their mouth? Basically all of the unmasked dudes have those. It's kind of weird, but hey why not, the front guy somehow doesn't speak like a human and needs a translation staff, so maybe all of them just have these little pipes with spice in them or something, just what the guildsmen do you know.

Also as mentioned earlier, I really do love the vacuum cleaners attached to the navigator tank that they use to clean up (a little bit of) the mess they made.

My favourite scene in the Lynch Dune by far. Friggin rules.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wingnut Ninja posted:

A good comparison is to Plato's Republic. They are looking for gold, not bronze/iron.

Someone who has the uniquely human ability to have executive override on their impulses and appetites.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Randarkman posted:

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the book at no point implies that the gom jabbar + pain box is what has killed every man before Paul. Gom jabbar + pain box is just a BG ritual.

I just re-read the first few chapters and it doesn't say this. They say they have tested far less men but the only thing she mentions about killing people is the truthsayer drug.

And to the point about the box of pain she also says that many people would love to have that technology so I guess they aren't farming out the box of pain to anyone but Bene Gesserits.

Also

kiraeh posted:

Nah it's the spice agony that's killed everyone before Paul. The gom jabbar is just a preliminary test, one that - Jessica passed in training at a time when she wasn't on the Reverend Mother track at all.
The gom jabbar is basically an extreme marshmallow test. I don't think it's said anywhere, but it's probably a requirement for anyone serving the BG in a sensitive capacity.
Since it's something that even current humans could pass, it doesn't make sense as the main KH filter.

Edit: aha so late

me too.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

kiimo posted:

I just re-read the first few chapters and it doesn't say this. They say they have tested far less men but the only thing she mentions about killing people is the truthsayer drug.

Isnt that exactly what I said?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^ lol I quoted the wrong post just an all out fail and I should log off for the day

The Bloop posted:

A good comparison is to Plato's Republic. They are looking for gold, not bronze/iron.

Someone who has the uniquely human ability to have executive override on their impulses and appetites.

Right I read it as not accidentally giving Bene Gesserit abilities to someone like Beast Rabban.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kiimo posted:

Right I read it as not accidentally giving Bene Gesserit abilities to someone like Beast Rabban.

Yeah this is pretty much the point. It’s implicit that they mostly use the box on BG acolytes to see if they’re ready to graduate from serving wench to serving witch

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Randarkman posted:

They must leave.

Randarkman posted:

I assumed spice. Especially the dude with his skull cracked open and a tube running straight into it leaking orange.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Randarkman posted:

What do you guys think the guildsmen in the background are doing with those pipes/devices in their mouth?

It was cut from the final film, but the Spacer's Guild Kazoo Choir gives a stunning performance of the Imperial Anthem during their arrival ceremony.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It was cut from the final film, but the Spacer's Guild Kazoo Choir gives a stunning performance of the Imperial Anthem during their arrival ceremony.

at least someone read the loving book

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mother loving Lynch

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skasion posted:

Yeah this is pretty much the point. It’s implicit that they mostly use the box on BG acolytes to see if they’re ready to graduate from serving wench to serving savant witch

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Clarence Boddicker rolls into the imperial throne room and proclaims "Witches leave"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Spazzle posted:

Clarence Boddicker rolls into the imperial throne room and proclaims "Witches leave"

I'm not even sure I got that joke

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
https://youtu.be/o97uNzbBfis

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU&t=30s

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I'm not even sure I got that joke

Best part is that the emperor is played by Jose Ferrer, father of Miguel Ferrer, the guy who plays the yuppie in Robocop who has the hookers over for Clarence to interrupt

Unless :thejoke:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Fuschia tude posted:

I assumed spice. Especially the dude with his skull cracked open and a tube running straight into it leaking orange.

The... what...

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Once again, studio meddling ruins an auteur's grand and austere vision

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Spazzle posted:

you are 28 months too late for this joke :blastu:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tree Bucket posted:

The... what...

He's the guy threatening the emperor with life in a pain amplifier.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

you are 28 months too late for this joke :blastu:

time is a dream unfolding.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Did the person who made the joke 28 months ago at least do the needful and edit a clip from Dune to hav the translation device say Clarence Boddicker's line instead?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

priznat posted:

~extremely Kurtwood Smith voice~ Witches Leave!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Nobody has said the real reason yet which is that the BG are eugenicists to a level that would make the Nazis blush. This is another case where Frank is setting them up as protagonists but not heroes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

it's not literal. It's like the human being as a higher intelligence vs human being the animal. If he cannot control his instincts he is human being the animal.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ulf posted:

Nobody has said the real reason yet which is that the BG are eugenicists to a level that would make the Nazis blush. This is another case where Frank is setting them up as protagonists but not heroes.

This is true but the problem with that reading is that it in the world of Dune it actually creates ubermensch

The biological science in dune is pretty fanciful but I don't think Frank was using the secret breeding program to say anything about Nazis in particular

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

The Bloop posted:

This is true but the problem with that reading is that it in the world of Dune it actually creates ubermensch

The biological science in dune is pretty fanciful but I don't think Frank was using the secret breeding program to say anything about Nazis in particular

Yeah it's more of a "careful what you wish for" thing, it imagines ubermensch could be created... and concludes it would be an absolute horrorshow for humanity at large as well as the ubermensch themselves.

Dune is full of people getting what they wanted only for it to turn out horribly for them. Especially the first 3 books, holy poo poo.

Then arguably Leto II wins in the end by losing on purpose.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's a cold war book, obviously Paul=Stalin and BGs=Nazis

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

sean10mm posted:

Yeah it's more of a "careful what you wish for" thing, it imagines ubermensch could be created... and concludes it would be an absolute horrorshow for humanity at large as well as the ubermensch themselves.

Dune is full of people getting what they wanted only for it to turn out horribly for them. Especially the first 3 books, holy poo poo.

Then arguably Leto II wins in the end by losing on purpose.

That's a great way to look at it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31rrZeTH9HI

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i watched mulholland drive last night and it kinda made me dislike lynch dune more, in that it feels like a pale imitation of what lynch can do when he's on firing on all cylinders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ulf posted:

I really don't agree. Through the first three books, they have little or nothing to do with the "masses"; they make the royal lineages their pet project and while yeah, there is eugenics going on there, it never really creeps beyond "their" bloodlines, it's a side project performed on the elite of their world, and the masses more or less carry on eugenics-free, I think?

The BG neither go out to exterminate (Kwizatz Haderach candidates aside in Heretics/Chapterhouse), nor do they think it makes much of any sense to try and impose a eugenics program on the wider population.

The royal houses and their sisters are an easier, mostly willing cohort to do their poo poo with, and I think in scope, aim, and in ethical behavior they're a fair far bit more benevolent than a nazi