Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I went to FedEx today to pick up my fiancee's undelivered iPhone, and the lovely box AT&T shipped it in was opened, with just a single piece of tape lightly adhered to reseal the box, and the actual iPhone box was missing the peel-to-open strip on the bottom (well, one of the sides was completely detached). I was able to easily open the iPhone box without peeling the still-attached top strip.

Fortunately, the phone was intact and undamaged inside. It's almost like an AT&T/FedEx employee opened the box just to see the blue color in person?

Also, has anyone tried later adding AppleCare to an iPhone purchased through a carrier? AT&T's site says you can add it within 60 days through Apple, but punching in the serial number on their site says the product is ineligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Euphoriaphone posted:

Also, has anyone tried later adding AppleCare to an iPhone purchased through a carrier? AT&T's site says you can add it within 60 days through Apple, but punching in the serial number on their site says the product is ineligible.

Applecare is being super weird right now. Didn't work on device so I added it in person at an Apple store, but it's still not showing up correctly on the device, services are still down per Apple. I have the receipts though, so I'm not too concerned.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

PirateDentist posted:

This is what the rep at the Apple store told me will happen. They'll send a message asking if you'd like to continue via monthly payments.

Got my 13 Pro at 9am on Friday, walked into a completely empty T-Mobile and was out of there 40 minutes later. Most of that was waiting for the phone to transfer stuff before wiping\trading it in. :toot: Went to an Apple store later to pick up the new Mini and hoo boy what a circus.

Also what might be of interest to y'all, I bought Applecare+ and it's still not showing on device. I contacted Apple and they said that service is still down, but send me this link to check the status: https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

That's nice to know that it's a service issue with the AppleCare status not displaying.
I got the 2-year plan with the phone and did get an email about 20 hours later to notify me of the proof of my AppleCare+ status.

No problems with the phone so far other than the unlock phone with watch isn't working properly. It seems to be a known issue and there are two solutions for it right now.
1) Wait for 15.0.1
2) Backup your phone. Erase your phone and then restore from the backup you just made.

I can live without the watch being able to unlock the phone while I'm wearing a mask until a patch comes out.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PirateDentist posted:

One nano SIM slot, two eSIM. Only two total can be used though.

Oooooh, this makes sense.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, with eSim cards, how would you switch cards between phones? My wife and I are both eligible for an update this year, but she isn’t interested in a new phone. So I was thinking about updating my phone this year, and then if next year’s phone tickles my fancy, I’d upgrade her phone, and then just swap our SIM cards so I get the new phone and she gets the 13 as a hand me down. Is that still possible with eSim cards?

Yes. When you do a backup / data transfer the line will jump to the new phone. It's fairly seamless to move it between iPhones. I've been on esim for 3 years now between 3 phones and the esim part is fairly straightforward. The manual way is to provide your carrier with the phone's EID at which point they tie it to your line. With T-Mobile this takes like 2 minutes and your phone will get a notification that your new cellular plan is ready to be assigned.

My only gently caress up this year was buying a T-mobile phone and forgetting these come with a carrier lock so now I have to wait a few days for the carrier unlock to go through.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 25, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I went to the Apple store to check the phones out.

For the people wondering about the iPhone Pro blue, the color is so faded out it can be mistaken for gray.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's definitely more of a grey than a blue, but I think silver blue describes it a bit better in most lighting.

Also, I ended up getting my phone like at 8:30 PM last night and could actually hear the UPS driver delivering until like 10:30, I didn't think they went that late, seems crazy, but it was definitely him.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

powderific posted:

I’m on an 11pro now, but used to have an XR and before that 6S+, and wish I had something more in those sizes, but the pro max seems enormous in hand. How are they day to day? I wind up using my phone way more than my iPad lately due to some baby related life changes and I’d really appreciate the extra screen size for my eyes. I just am really not sure about a phone that size.

I’m pretty much in the same boat. I never use my laptop anymore and almost exclusively use my phone because having a baby makes it pointless to get comfortable anywhere for more than 15 min. The max seems like a good idea so far, in terms of being able to everything I want it to, just bigger and faster.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Rusty posted:

It's definitely more of a grey than a blue, but I think silver blue describes it a bit better in most lighting.

Also, I ended up getting my phone like at 8:30 PM last night and could actually hear the UPS driver delivering until like 10:30, I didn't think they went that late, seems crazy, but it was definitely him.
I feel like they just get really swamped on iPhone release day. My UPS seems to unfailingly deliver packages around 3-3:30pm, but when I got my 12 Pro on launch day it didn’t get delivered until like 8:30pm like yours.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I have a wireless charger in my car that sits flat.

There is a little grip area in the center. No issues with my 12 Pro with Apple leather case staying put.

However the lip around the camera on the 13 Pro cases is big enough that the phone no longer sits flat and no longer touches the grip area of the charger. When I accelerate or turn the phone falls off.

Very annoying. I'm going to look into ways to increase the grip area of the charger.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zero One posted:

There is a little grip area in the center. No issues with my 12 Pro with Apple leather case staying put.

However the lip around the camera on the 13 Pro cases is big enough that the phone no longer sits flat and no longer touches the grip area of the charger. When I accelerate or turn the phone falls off.

Very annoying. I'm going to look into ways to increase the grip area of the charger.
Attach a magsafe ring :v:

(Half serious there, if you're ok with sticking something on your car)

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yo the macro mode of the 13 Pro rules.

As a materialistic gently caress who immediately started taking pictures of watch movements can confirm.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

japtor posted:

Attach a magsafe ring :v:

(Half serious there, if you're ok with sticking something on your car)

Yeah I've been playing with different options including mag safe. That's why this is frustrating because I only bought this charge pad a few weeks ago and it's been great.

For mag safe the problem for me is not being able to just pick the phone without the charger coming with it. And I don't want to secure the charger in a way that would be a permanent modification to the car.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Q for those familiar with the magsafe chargers: if I get a magsafe battery pack, I assume I don't need the standard magsafe charger, correct? I can treat the battery pack like a normal wireless charger if I'm spending the day at home?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Zero One posted:

I have the exact same issue in my car. Phone still makes enough contact to charge, but slides off at the slightest movement.

My charger is built into the car, so I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle modifying it.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

I got my 13 pro yesterday, but for some reason Apple hasn't billed me yet.

I got charged for the magsafe adapter and the case, as well as the applecare when the phone arrived yesterday, but so far, no phone charge. Is that common? Seems weird the most expensive part would take this long.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LionYeti posted:

As a materialistic gently caress who immediately started taking pictures of watch movements can confirm.

Share the moon watch movement.
I’ve only taken pics of beer and ribs I smoked.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

powderific posted:

I’m on an 11pro now, but used to have an XR and before that 6S+, and wish I had something more in those sizes, but the pro max seems enormous in hand. How are they day to day? I wind up using my phone way more than my iPad lately due to some baby related life changes and I’d really appreciate the extra screen size for my eyes. I just am really not sure about a phone that size.

I moved down from a Max sized phone to the regular 13 Pro this year just because I was personally tired of having a phone that huge. I feel like when I was using the phone more when I was out and about I didn't mind the compromise of having a bigger phone, now that I'm mostly home, I really dislike it.

I feel like this is more of a "use it for a week or two" to really find out if you'll like it type thing rather than holding them at the Apple store for a few minutes to really understand which one would be best.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Share the moon watch movement.
I’ve only taken pics of beer and ribs I smoked.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I just got home to another UPS 'attempted delivery notice' - I just assumed they would deliver it on Monday like the UPS website said.

Turns out UPS delivers on Saturdays in 100 select metro areas and I'm new enough to the area to not know they deliver around here.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Also am I going to need a new sim card for 5g?

I'm on AT&T and I assume the sim card that came with my iPhone 11 will work but I'm not too sure? Do you need a special sim card to use 5g on the AT&T network?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

https://gizmodo.com/apple-working-on-depression-detection-for-iphones-repo-1847714458

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Yo the macro mode of the 13 Pro rules.

I forgot about this. Do you have to do something to enable it or is it just automatic?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
"Hey Siri, am I depressed?"

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

People who already know they have depression and can’t afford/get good treatment are going to love having it rubbed in by their drat phone

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Cat Hassler posted:

People who already know they have depression and can’t afford/get good treatment are going to love having it rubbed in by their drat phone

Apple products and services are designed by and for their wealthy old white vampire employees which is both why their hardware quality is typically impeccable and why their marketing and products like Music and Apple TV+ are so hilariously bougie that they look like the comical satire from a Verhoeven film.

Apple News' recommendations, the pretentiousness of Music's presentation, the actual content of TV+, are all insane Stepford Wives poo poo for crazy people and I kinda love it.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 26, 2021

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lol

I also saw this the other day and like...not sure if this is potentially helpful or really harmful :thunk:

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1440253760048025604

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mes posted:

I moved down from a Max sized phone to the regular 13 Pro this year just because I was personally tired of having a phone that huge. I feel like when I was using the phone more when I was out and about I didn't mind the compromise of having a bigger phone, now that I'm mostly home, I really dislike it.

I feel like this is more of a "use it for a week or two" to really find out if you'll like it type thing rather than holding them at the Apple store for a few minutes to really understand which one would be best.

Yeah, I think you’re right. The 6S+ seemed ridiculous when I got it but wound up being perfect. The max just seems to be taking things a little too far but it’s hard to know till I’ve actually put it into practice. I know from having the 11 pro for a couple years that I do wish I had a bit bigger screen and I’m still not as good at thumb typing as I was on my previous big phones.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

My recollection of daily driving a 8+ years ago compared to the Max was that even though I think it was a larger phone dimension wise, the screen didn't take up the entire front and it wasn't gesture based. I have medium sized hands and it feels impossible on the Max to swipe up to go home and down from the top to get the notification shade/control center without shuffling the phone around.

It's totally worth it for some people depending on how you use it, I personally don't miss it at all after downsizing though.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

withak posted:

"Hey Siri, am I depressed?"

"Dave - I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do."

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The macro camera is fun for toy photography

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Apple spying on my screentime

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

turns out the test for depression, anxiety, cognitive decline and autism is simply looking up whether you have awful.app installed on your phone

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Clark Nova posted:

turns out the test for depression, anxiety, cognitive decline and autism is simply looking up whether you have awful.app installed on your phone

:hmmyes:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I forgot about this. Do you have to do something to enable it or is it just automatic?

It’s auto when you get close enough to something. It’s kind of annoying when you’re on the edge between macro and non, because the picture keeps changing focus and zoom. But being able to macro IPAs and smoked pork shoulders is amazing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Snowy posted:

I bought a $3 13 pro max case from AliExpress, looks like I’m locked in now

Somehow this ended up arriving on launch day and actually fits too :)

$2.38 well spent

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Clark Nova posted:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I can’t recall if I mentioned it here but iOS 15 fixed my screen time viewing bugs.

I couldn’t see my child’s screen time data from my iOS device before. It was enabled and I tried every trick in the book (and internet) to get it to appear again to no avail.

Weird thing was it was still enabled on his iOS device. And all the data was viewable on his device. It just wasn’t viewable on mine until now.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hi, I just got my first iPhone, a 13 Mini. I'm switching after a decade on Android because Apple is the only device maker who makes small phones, and because Apple's business model isn't primarily based on abusing its customers.

Anyway I had a couple quick questions. Yeah I searched the thread first!!

Any recommended 3rd party Twitter clients (i.e. one that doesn't show ads)? I've tried a couple and all of them don't show the Like count on tweets in the timeline, which is weird. Why do they all do that? The couple I tried all seem interchangeable, but I thought I'd ask for a suggestion. Currently I'm using Echofon.

On the last page, people were discussing ad blockers and 1blocker came up a lot. I got it installed and it seems to work. I was planning to just plunk the $30 for a lifetime subscription but thought I'd ask if there was any other options I should consider before doing that. (I'm happy to pay for things and not interested in doing a bunch of hacking around with DNS stuff or whatever.)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm wanting to clear up some space on my iphone and the largest amount goes towards Messages (almost 76gb!). Of course it's mostly photos and videos, so in the Settings I go to iPhone Storage, then messages, then either Photos or Videos to start selecting ones to dump and I get nothing (ok 3 photos from yesterday have shown up now). No photos or videos show up at all. I thought I'd be able to select ones so I could delete them but apparently not? Is there something I could do to fix this, or have any of you run into this before?

edit: Ok I switched messages to just delete after one year and rebooted my phone and it went from 75gb to 509mb so :toot:

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

japtor posted:

As opposed to an iPhone foldable non phone?

it’s called a MacBook