Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Does Havana Syndrome cause Lib Brain
This poll is closed.
Microwaves to the head 2 2.30%
Mass psychosis caused by lib brain 16 18.39%
Jeb! 23 26.44%
CIA reverse psychology causing Havana Syndrome 6 6.90%
Putin causes Lib Brain via Havana Syndrome 9 10.34%
VOTE! 31 35.63%
THE CIA PUT A CHIP IN MY BRAIN (RIP Norm) 0 0%
Total: 87 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

As I was no longer in Tennessee and no longer a democrat in 2020 it was no longer my loving problem.

Imagine bringing that up as some sort of loving own like a loving cretin

You weren't even aware of a woman of color running as a progressive in your former state? Speaks to your privilege imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

paranoid randroid posted:

shadowrun owns as a setting because everything you encounter short of dragons or horrors is, like, largely just a guy. theres no great dwarven cities or orc tribes, theres just guys that are short and guys that are big. huge gently caress off troll working security at the club youre trying to get into? loves the mariners and has a car payment coming due. slicked-back elf corporate contact with a 15d6 social pool? stressed out over his failson being a pothead.

as a system its torture

you can't even make "which edition?" jokes about SR b/c everyone knows that it's all of them

4th was the closest to being decent and they catastrophically hosed up two subsequent stabs at fixing it before 6th edition came out with rules so bad everyone just gave up pretending it was salvageable

(also the metaplot has been unfun sorts of bad for ages, and they've yet to figure out a main edition hook that isn't more body snatchers for over two decades)

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 26, 2021

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

LGD posted:

I mean yeah you play with the groups you can get and most people into RPGs enough to properly edition war have all played games that are mechanically (and otherwise) wayyyyy worse than 5e, which is bad more due to its mediocrity, laziness, and regression in design than because it's the worst thing ever

it's just the most frustrating poo poo ever because there are like a half dozen D&D-adjacent RPG's that are better designed, supported, and better fulfill 5e's putative design goals but it's still the "default" b/c of the brand name

yeah, it's ultimately just a bullshit session with guidelines anyway, my groups tend to be pretty rp heavy even when running dungeon crawls, but sometimes our rogue gets to roll an absurd amount of damage dice

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You goddamned buffoon. you loving ulcerated carbuncle, you ten-pounds-of-poo poo-in-a-three-pound-bag looking head rear end rereg coward of a motherfucker.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Epic High Five posted:

It allowed for a lot of really fuckin broken builds, like my ranger that iirc attacked like 12 times a round ensuring that 1-2 were nat 20's lol

One of my favorite players to use ever was a ranger, but it was in a Powered by the Apocalypse Dungeon World game, so probably not quite the same thing.

Epic High Five posted:

It's hard to conceptualize Birch in politics as they are now and Evan was definitely just in it to climb the ladder. Lugar was solid, and more importantly, had a really solid and punchy name

Speaking of weird senators to imagine in politics now, Wendell Ford.

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

You goddamned buffoon. you loving ulcerated carbuncle, you ten-pounds-of-poo poo-in-a-three-pound-bag looking head rear end rereg coward of a motherfucker.

Le epic motherbitching fuckwaffle :razz:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

3.5 defenders can be understood in the same way as elderly conservatives talking about how they want to go back to the old days. they're wrong, but you can see how they got there, they're terrified of a marginal improvement to their world invalidating all that came before.

you want the REAL sickos, you want to check out the Pathfinder 1.0 diehards

pathfinder 1e is just 3.5 but it sucks somewhat less. the people who remained attached to 3.5 when pathfinder exists are truly deranged

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

LGD posted:

you can't even make "which edition?" jokes about SR b/c everyone knows that it's all of them

4th was the closest to being decent and they catastrophically hosed up two subsequent stabs at fixing it before 6th edition came out with rules so bad everyone just gave up pretending it was salvageable

(also the metaplot has been unfun sorts of bad for ages, and they've yet to figure out a main edition hook that isn't more body snatchers for over two decades)

ive been playing 5e SR for like five years now and dont even notice the jank until everything screeches to a halt when we realize that a particular spell requires cross-referencing three different pages across two books to figure out what happens

we really should just reskin another system as shadowrun but i think we're all brain-sick by now

but yeah we dont even touch the metaplot past like 2050

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

One of my favorite players to use ever was a ranger, but it was in a Powered by the Apocalypse Dungeon World game, so probably not quite the same thing.

Speaking of weird senators to imagine in politics now, Wendell Ford.

It's crazy to think that moderates used to also sometimes believe and really fight for good things lol. Of course Kentucky has always been a weird state politically

I think my last 3.5 character was a Warforged I was doing an RP bit with a buddy that it would become slowly self-aware over the course of the campaign, but it was sadly cut short so I never got the chance. It was an accursed edition and we're better off without it despite 5e's warts. It's crazy to me that 4e is just basically damnatio memoriae'd tho

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suck Moredickis posted:

You weren't even aware of a woman of color running as a progressive in your former state? Speaks to your privilege imo.

Again, as it was no longer my loving circus, it was also no longer my cage full of poo poo to clean out. I put as much physical and metaphorical distance between the state I'd lived most of my life but was never welcomed.

She wanted to fight the Dems in her own party and the republicans both that's her business. I'm sure she spent her campaign funds exactly how she wanted to and totally didn't have to rely on the piece of poo poo campaign advisor sent from the TNDP. And I'm sure a party full of homophobic landlords totally didn't work counter to her campaign at all.

Still didn't vote for your favorite rapist, and you really should feel bad about your vote.

But you don't, because you're that big of a piece of poo poo and you belong in a loving pillory.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 26, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

it definitely feels like a system that was designed to have a computer doing most of the work, a position which is validated by some excellent and a lot more just okay games

the RPG system(s) just don't work - the games are good not because they can automate the mechanics but because they largely ignore them entirely in favor of novel approaches (beyond limited thematic stuff like essence being a limit on 'ware and combining magic + machine)

paranoid randroid posted:

ive been playing 5e SR for like five years now and dont even notice the jank until everything screeches to a halt when we realize that a particular spell requires cross-referencing three different pages across two books to figure out what happens

we really should just reskin another system as shadowrun but i think we're all brain-sick by now

but yeah we dont even touch the metaplot past like 2050

yeah the thing is that the core dice mechanics that 4e/5e share are just fine and once you get "basic" aspects of the mechanics a group can genuinely run it smoothly

until you actually need/want to use any of the involved mechanics as written, and then as you note it all goes to hell

when I say they hosed it up I don't mean that 5e made it worse, they just didn't make it better - 5e genuinely improved some things but introduced just about as much additional jank in other areas, so it feels like deckchair shuffling rather than an improvement (and Anarchy was similar, basically a bunch of half decent but underdeveloped ideas for streamlining that core you'd find in a first-draft google docs that they sold as a full product)

the basic setting concept is rock solid, and that + having good licensed products has been what has kept the franchise alive, but they really need to give the license to a non-fraudulent (in multiple senses) studio

LGD fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 26, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Powered by the apocalypse is the best system.

No further comments may be added

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kalit posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Think I've got the issue resolved so here ya go buddy, as promised

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the closest thing to "not just a guy" in shadowrun are the various HTR squads like the Red Samurai or Salish Wildcats, and those dudes showing up is the gm telling you that the Prowler musical stings from spiderverse are now playing and you have hosed up

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

Epic High Five posted:

It's crazy to think that moderates used to also sometimes believe and really fight for good things lol. Of course Kentucky has always been a weird state politically

I think my last 3.5 character was a Warforged I was doing an RP bit with a buddy that it would become slowly self-aware over the course of the campaign, but it was sadly cut short so I never got the chance. It was an accursed edition and we're better off without it despite 5e's warts. It's crazy to me that 4e is just basically damnatio memoriae'd tho

Seriousposting for a change, I think that what "moderate" means has changed as partisanship has solidified. These days a "moderate" is a Democrat in a red state/district or vice-versa. (Or in some instances, a Democrat in a blue state/district who thinks it's still 1990.) It used to be you could get away with advancing a good cause while remaining locally popular with your constituents for other reasons. But as partisanship has solidified and races have become nationalized, you either have to walk a tightrope as a Manchin/Tester--i.e., represent a small red state and make enough noise about not spending too much money--or get jettisoned in favor of a Republican who hits all the right culture war notes (like what happened to Donnelly, McCaskill, and Heitkamp in 2018).

What's even funnier about that is that Missouri voted to increase the minimum wage while also electing Josh Hawley, who will never ever support a minimum wage increase. And Biden in 2020 had a minimum wage increase as part of his platform and yet MO went for Trump by double digits.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Nix Panicus posted:

Assange is a rapist but he shouldnt be extradited to the US to be imprisoned for being a whistleblower. So what does 'justice' look like for him? Being locked inside an embassy for seven years? Being elected president of the united states?

agreed op

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Huh. Looks like a total of zero people have come out defending Assange. How unusual.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Suck Moredickis posted:

Seriousposting for a change, I think that what "moderate" means has changed as partisanship has solidified. These days a "moderate" is a Democrat in a red state/district or vice-versa. (Or in some instances, a Democrat in a blue state/district who thinks it's still 1990.) It used to be you could get away with advancing a good cause while remaining locally popular with your constituents for other reasons. But as partisanship has solidified and races have become nationalized, you either have to walk a tightrope as a Manchin/Tester--i.e., represent a small red state and make enough noise about not spending too much money--or get jettisoned in favor of a Republican who hits all the right culture war notes (like what happened to Donnelly, McCaskill, and Heitkamp in 2018).

well no the reason moderates can't exist anymore and, more broadly, that no compromise legislation is possible, is because earmarks were forbidden and the "other reasons" that legislators could stay popular no longer exist because of it. yes earmarks are now a thing again within the last few years, but they're not exactly the primary bargaining tool that they used to be

the absence of earmarks is a hugely unacknowledged aspect of why the parties have gone all-in on partisanship

Buttchug Mouthwash
Jun 20, 2021

minty fresh asshole
wait so if this is a dmz are there going to be defectors? what happens to posters that attempt to cross the posting dmz seeking asylum

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The old system of firewalls has fallen and the idea of playing nice with the other side being necessary because they'll always have their own backing to force you back has been dying since Reagan beat the poo poo out of the Dems in the Eighties. Polarization in general makes it so people are less interested in Congress doing things (probably because they see less and less benefits from doing things are time has gone on) and more about their party scoring political touchdowns. It's kind of the ongoing surrender in American politics, where people have given up on universally good things passing and now are fully invested in schadenfreude. "I think insurance premiums should go up on people who don't get the shot!" But don't we want to get rid of insurance premiums altogether. "But that'll never happen, but making someone miserable will." Same thing with abortion, who cares if people just resorts to hangers as long as someone suffers, hell yeah.

One of the best articles you'll ever read on politics is Alex Pareene's profile of Mitch McConnell, and if I recall, it goes into how much politics has changed where someone as blatantly oblivious to the culture war as McConnell is can still maintain power just because he understands that politics is all about competition over production: https://newrepublic.com/article/153275/mitch-mcconnell-profile-nihilist-chief.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Suck Moredickis posted:

What's even funnier about that is that Missouri voted to increase the minimum wage while also electing Josh Hawley, who will never ever support a minimum wage increase. And Biden in 2020 had a minimum wage increase as part of his platform and yet MO went for Trump by double digits.

yeah but I'd argue it didn't happen for no reason, as myself and probably Probably Magic and almost certainly Gene Hackman Fan can say the reason there's no purple state moderates or even many purple states is in large part because of Rahm and the shift away from the 50 state strategy in favor of bunkering up in states and districts that are safe and easy wins.

It can't really be emphasized enough that Rahm is like a bungling and stupid version of supremely evil destroyer of the political landscape in the vein of Dick Cheney. I'm not lover of Dems in general or Biden specifically but his exiling Rahm has been wonderful to see

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jazerus posted:

well no the reason moderates can't exist anymore and, more broadly, that no compromise legislation is possible, is because earmarks were forbidden and the "other reasons" that legislators could stay popular no longer exist because of it. yes earmarks are now a thing again within the last few years, but they're not exactly the primary bargaining tool that they used to be

the absence of earmarks is a hugely unacknowledged aspect of why the parties have gone all-in on partisanship

it's very good that people in the government campaigned on getting rid of social programs, infrastructure projects, etc and people lapped it up because PORK BARREL SPENDING but oh gently caress turns out that was practically the only thing keeping our government functional woopsie doodle

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

Jazerus posted:

I do agree with this, and I think even if earmarks came back in a big way, it wouldn't be enough to combat the extent to which partisan identification has become central to people's identity. In particular right-wing misinformation spreading via Facebook and other social media would defeat most Democratic attempts to regain red rural areas.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Buttchug Mouthwash posted:

wait so if this is a dmz are there going to be defectors? what happens to posters that attempt to cross the posting dmz seeking asylum

if past is prologue, get big checks from the CIA to write books making up insane poo poo about the enemies of America

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

if past is prologue, get big checks from the CIA to write books making up insane poo poo about the enemies of America

Who will be the Great Marshall of cspam?

Buttchug Mouthwash
Jun 20, 2021

minty fresh asshole

Epic High Five posted:

sweet can i apply for refugee status in a dnd thread and collect a stipend to write bad poo poo about cspam and oh i dunno pfy. with mod protection ofc

Suck Moredickis
Sep 12, 2021

by Epic High Five

Epic High Five posted:

yeah but I'd argue it didn't happen for no reason, as myself and probably Probably Magic and almost certainly Gene Hackman Fan can say the reason there's no purple state moderates or even many purple states is in large part because of Rahm and the shift away from the 50 state strategy in favor of bunkering up in states and districts that are safe and easy wins.

It can't really be emphasized enough that Rahm is like a bungling and stupid version of supremely evil destroyer of the political landscape in the vein of Dick Cheney. I'm not lover of Dems in general or Biden specifically but his exiling Rahm has been wonderful to see

Rahm sucks but I'm skeptical he's the sole reason why we're so polarized. And I guess even if he is, the damage has been done. The 50 state strategy is all well and good, but we saw plenty of Democrats in red-to-purple states rake in a ton of money only to lose by convincing margins in 2020. These candidates included both progressives and moderates.

Edit: This doesn't mean I think dems should just not run candidates in red states--they should, because you never know when a Todd Akin or Roy Moore situation will come up. But I think there's a pervasive idea among certain online spaces that democrats could win red states if they only ~tried harder~, and I think that's silly.

Suck Moredickis fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 26, 2021

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sedisp posted:

i am prepared to be cspams falkenhayn and send innumerable posters to their death to bleed d&d white

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
blowthread is not a strategic target but d&d will hold it to the last

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 26, 2021

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sedisp posted:

randroid, obviously

Buttchug Mouthwash posted:

sweet can i apply for refugee status in a dnd thread and collect a stipend to write bad poo poo about cspam and oh i dunno pfy. with mod protection ofc

I'm sorry but this would draw from the generous compensation that all D&D mods enjoy so I would have to oppose it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i bravely volunteer to flee to mexico and spread my own version of communism until taintrunner sends someone after me with an icepick

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

randroid, obviously

sounds like we have a quorum

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i am furiously drawing up train timetables for cspam posters to be deployed to this thread as we speak

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Top 5 reasons why North Cspam is a caaaarazy place you won't believe number 1!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Did you know Cspammers believe that Dear Leader Randroid's father invented the Hamburger?! It's true!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

In the Trump thread, they don't even have ice cream for desert! In the anarchism thread they're so starved they eat rats that are fat from eating anarchists!

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LGD fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 26, 2021

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Probably Magic posted:

I'm just very, very tired of the "gotta hand it to Biden" culture, not just on here, but even worse in the public at large. No. I don't. I'm not a registered Democrat anymore. I do not have to be invested in this dude's success whatsoever. He is a foreign entity to me. He is an opponent just like any other. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend. Etc.
Yeah I think it's a matter of identity, really. It's one thing if it's, as you say, someone who thinks voting is like some duty of theirs and votes for one or the other out of obligation while being frustrated with the poo poo choice they have. Don't get me wrong people like that who identify as "a voter" without interrogating that are also pretty annoying, but I'd say people who identify as "Biden voter" or "Trump voter" or whatever else, are a lot worse because instead of identifying with a (broken, dysfunctional, harmful) institutional they are identifying with an actual piece of poo poo human being and projecting themselves onto them. This is probably more true of Trump voters, but it's true of Biden voters as well, and in both cases what they're projecting is some pretty bad poo poo. And it's also probably true that, as they're projecting themselves onto whoever, some of that personality is in turn reflecting back onto them - witness people screeching about concentration camps barely over a year ago now finding excuses why we have to open up a new concentration camp outside of our borders. It's disgusting.

I don't see anything wrong with heaping scorn on all of the above, but I think the latter two cases deserve a lot more of the ire than the first.

Buttchug Mouthwash
Jun 20, 2021

minty fresh asshole

Sedisp posted:

Top 5 reasons why North Cspam is a caaaarazy place you won't believe number 1!

all cspammers are infested with intestinal parasites because their nation is so poor they fertilize their crops with human feces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Even in the capital succzone posters diets consist mainly of tree bark.