Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Give us yodeling potato cyborg Doakes from the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Give us yodeling potato cyborg Doakes from the books.

What's this now?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yodeling potato cyborg Doakes, I believe I said. From the books.

In one of the earlier Dexter novels (I think the second), the department is investigating a series of mutilations. Multiple people have turned up dismembered, having their arms, legs, lips and tongue cut off, with nary a clue except each victim was found with a scrap of paper containing a random word. The victims are incapable of communicating beyond a series of moans, and Dexter lovingly dubs them "the yodeling potatoes."

Dexter tracks down the killer when Doakes is captured, but not before Doakes loses his tongue and most of his limbs. Doakes ends up surviving the encounter and continues to try to uncover Dexter's secret, but is severely limited by being half-prosthetic and having to speak through a voice synthesizer.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yodeling potato cyborg Doakes, I believe I said. From the books.

In one of the earlier Dexter novels (I think the second), the department is investigating a series of mutilations. Multiple people have turned up dismembered, having their arms, legs, lips and tongue cut off, with nary a clue except each victim was found with a scrap of paper containing a random word. The victims are incapable of communicating beyond a series of moans, and Dexter lovingly dubs them "the yodeling potatoes."

Dexter tracks down the killer when Doakes is captured, but not before Doakes loses his tongue and most of his limbs. Doakes ends up surviving the encounter and continues to try to uncover Dexter's secret, but is severely limited by being half-prosthetic and having to speak through a voice synthesizer.

:allbuttons:

Are all of the books such high quality?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's really the high point of the series. Dexter is Delicious is also a lot better than it sounds. The rest are pretty much airport grade, except for whichever one gets all psycho-spiritual and makes the Dark Passenger be a euphemism for Dexter being possessed by an incarnation of Moloch. That one was so hated the rest of the series pretends it never happened.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

MiddleOne posted:

Someone made a 80 minute retrospective on all the seasons and by far my favorite moment is him losing it at ghost dad in season 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu9ozR3qII&t=3902s

I like the new youtube feature that you can do chapters, so you can see the increasing length of time it takes to complain towards the later seasons.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Zenithe posted:

I like the new youtube feature that you can do chapters, so you can see the increasing length of time it takes to complain towards the later seasons.

It really is just a descent into madness, neatly cataloged.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

Chapters seem pretty pointless given the progess bar auto hides after a few seconds.

I installed an addon to keep it visible at all times, but YouTube seems determined to kill the ability to do so for some reason.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Chapters seem pretty pointless given the progess bar auto hides after a few seconds.

I installed an addon to keep it visible at all times, but YouTube seems determined to kill the ability to do so for some reason.

Chapters are still useful especially if you scrub through them your phone vibrates when you skip between them.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I guess that video was too embarrassing, Amazon has had it nuked.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Khablam posted:

I guess that video was too embarrassing, Amazon has had it nuked.

Yeah, but apparently he's going to fight the claim, and if it really sticks, he'll just reupload it without any video, but audio over pictures.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Still viewable in the EU. Weird.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
That video essay posted earlier owns. Couldnt stop laughing at the slow zoom on Quinns daydreaming face as Dexter gets publically arrested for murder in front of him, considering their history. So emblematic of how sloppy it all got.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

How could I have forgotten about this powerful visual metaphor from the final

All it was missing was a voice over from Dex explaining that his boat ended up just like his victims

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watching that long video and I agree Trinity Killer should've been the series end. I didn't really like it at the time, but in retrospective and how it ties in w Dexter's bs, it pretty much is the most thematically complete way to end things.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Remember when Dexter was almost foiled by some crazy hoarder

Look at this joker parked in front of a hydrant!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oh man can't believe how long it's taken me to look for a dexter reboot thread. Hi thread I watched every episode of dexter while it was airing and I didn't even have the old thread to help with the slow descent into simmering anger over just how lovely the show got and then that loving ending, what the gently caress.

Glad someone brought up Barry already 'cause to me it feels more than anything else like a show for people who watched Dexter and want something kinda like it but which doesn't suck. Not sure why we need more Dexter now when we have Barry but welp that's the world we live in now I guess.

Looking forward to being disappointed all over again but this time having some goons to complain alongside!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Oh man can't believe how long it's taken me to look for a dexter reboot thread. Hi thread I watched every episode of dexter while it was airing and I didn't even have the old thread to help with the slow descent into simmering anger over just how lovely the show got and then that loving ending, what the gently caress.

Glad someone brought up Barry already 'cause to me it feels more than anything else like a show for people who watched Dexter and want something kinda like it but which doesn't suck. Not sure why we need more Dexter now when we have Barry but welp that's the world we live in now I guess.

Looking forward to being disappointed all over again but this time having some goons to complain alongside!

Definitely a lot of similarities between Barry and Dexter, except Dexter only had a few moments of intentional comedy (and a truckload of unintentional comedy), whereas Barry is actually a comedy/drama, and does both SO well.

Dexter is truly the King of SuckBalls Mountain.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i would have watched barry if it wasn't for the angle where he's also an actor. i wish they would stop polluting otherwise interesting premises with self-reflections of trying to make it in hollywood. it really isn't that interesting. i mean i haven't seen it so maybe they do something with it but i really doubt it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

roomtone posted:

i would have watched barry if it wasn't for the angle where he's also an actor. i wish they would stop polluting otherwise interesting premises with self-reflections of trying to make it in hollywood. it really isn't that interesting. i mean i haven't seen it so maybe they do something with it but i really doubt it.

Barry's fantastic. As a character, he's a horrible actor, the whole thing has 'local theatre' vibes.

At the very least, watch it for Noho Hank, holy poo poo.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
You definitely has a dexter vibe to it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Pillowpants posted:

You definitely has a dexter vibe to it

I watched the season 3 trailer and the main guy's narration is aping Dexter so painfully hard

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Noho Hank owns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Noho Hank owns

Notice me, Cristobal.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh god this premieres two weeks from Sunday.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Poque posted:

Someone should combine these images for a countdown:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is art.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Dexter thread continues to be best thread.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Beautiful.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is also art.

One is artsy, the other, fartsy.

I'll let you all decide.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You season 3 reminded me of Dexter in the bad way, in terms of people getting away with doing sloppy easy to catch murders but nobody does ever and everything works out for the murderman.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You is an intentional farce though, that's the premise of both season 2 and 3.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

it'd be funny if after all this preamble everyone just forgets to watch it

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Title of episode 2: "Storm of gently caress." I guess we know when Deb is gonna show up.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Slamhound posted:

Title of episode 2: "Storm of gently caress." I guess we know when Deb is gonna show up.

I thought you were joking at first. But yeah, probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtY2FljGy30 :allears:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just chuckled because I remembered that Hannah/Harrison ends with her finding a report of Dexter's death and then telling Harrison they should go get some food, which can be read as her deciding to poison the now inconvenient kid she's been saddled with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Charlotte Rampling is in Dune.
I spent a couple of key scenes wondering whether or not she was going to diagnose someone with psychopathy.

drat you, Dexter!