Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I picked up Death Stranding Director's Cut, and started a new playthrough instead of trying to transfer my save. I forgot how great it is. Just running around picking up lost items and returning them.

Death Stranding is really neat but I keep getting this glitch where my button inputs register twice

also I got Sampor Terb-Ridges a nice hat and he refuses to ever keep it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
^^That is weird, and I hope you can resolve it

I just went on a delivery that went askew quickly as I searched for a new route. Thought I was going to lose the cargo, and then miraculously came out on the other side thanks to the single climbing anchor I had with me. The delivery was extremely satisfying

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not much of a problem except when it makes me waste one of my poop grenades

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
there is always more poop

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got tired of my google survey credit falling off my account and bought FF1. I played through most of it. Well, almost all of it.

I got to Chaos at level 49 without any problem. But I can not even scratch him. This is a stupid difficulty jump. Other than grinding and changing out my spells a bit, is there anything I can do? It feels like a waste of time to have to do a bunch of prep for the last fight of the game. Bad design.

Is FF2 worth playing? Are there any improvements?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Waltzing Along posted:

I got tired of my google survey credit falling off my account and bought FF1. I played through most of it. Well, almost all of it.

I got to Chaos at level 49 without any problem. But I can not even scratch him. This is a stupid difficulty jump. Other than grinding and changing out my spells a bit, is there anything I can do? It feels like a waste of time to have to do a bunch of prep for the last fight of the game. Bad design.

No, jump to FFIV instead.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I dunno about the pixel remaster, but FF2 GBA is fine

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Got some pins in the mail from Frost Dragon Designs. Pins are by an artist/designer named Joshua Pinkas. I like his art.

Pics of some of the pins (not my pics though, straight from the creator's store). These aren't all of the pins

The cowboy cat is actually a custom design that was commissioned by the owner of Shoppy the Shop Cat, a special needs cat who was rescued from a shelter that had him on the euthanasia list due to his age and health problems.

He unfortunately has since passed away (RIP Shoppy) but there are a couple of kickstarters I've backed that Shoppy's owners also backed and ended up commissioning special content for based on him. The cowboy pin is one of those things and the other is from the board game Calico which has a special kickstarter promotional card for Shoppy. I'm glad I've got a Shoppy pin and I'm glad that Shoppy was able to get around in one way or another thanks to their owner's commissions.

Been thinking about getting one of those cloth sheets you hang on walls and display pins on. I don't know if they have a specific name or not.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

wow those are all gorgeous!!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Those are nice pins. They make me want to actually buy some.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing Crisis Core for the first time, and I really wish you could turn off that modulating phase mechanic or speed it up during combat. it happens to often and it brings combat to a crawl in its pacing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

What’s your FF1 team? Casting Haste on a Knight, Master, or Ninja will let them do a lot of damage, much more than spells do. Physical attacks are where the real damage is.

Also do you have a White Mage? If not, someone should probably be using the Heal helmet every turn to keep you at least a little bit healed. They made most of FF1 pretty easy in the Pixel Remaster but buffed Chaos into the stratosphere for some reason.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I said come in! posted:

Playing Crisis Core for the first time, and I really wish you could turn off that modulating phase mechanic or speed it up during combat. it happens to often and it brings combat to a crawl in its pacing.

It also makes grinding materia a pain in the rear end, as you have to 1) Wait for a Modulating Phase, and 2) Pray you get the right numbers for whatever materia you're leveling. Get 1-1-1 and your first slot is already maxed? Tough poo poo, you wasted a level.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Walla posted:

Those are nice pins. They make me want to actually buy some.

I didn't think to actually link to his store. My apologies.

https://frostdragondesigns.com/

This was the most recent kickstarter by him that I backed and got some pins through.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frostdragondesigns/black-cat-rpg-series-2-hard-enamel-pins/description

Some other pins from him that I've got from some of his previous kickstarters:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waltzing Along posted:

I had a good time with FF2 but it's pretty weird. They came up with a new development system where the best way of improving your stats is beating the poo poo out of yourself so the early game is strange but once you get into it it's pretty fun. There's way more actual story than the first game and while the main characters are basically cyphers there's some NPCs with legit personality.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does the pixel remaster or whatever include any of the extra scenario stuff for FF2, the stuff from the gba version?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Does the pixel remaster or whatever include any of the extra scenario stuff for FF2, the stuff from the gba version?

No.

Also for FF2 it makes a slight tweak to how status effects are calculated and makes the end game weeeeeird

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

drat, that was some neat stuff too, shame it isn't included though it makes sense since including it would mean they'd have to demake/remake that content.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe in terms of content, the pixel remasters are identical to the original releases, no bonuses from any ports.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

He unfortunately has since passed away (RIP Shoppy) but there are a couple of kickstarters I've backed that Shoppy's owners also backed and ended up commissioning special content for based on him. The cowboy pin is one of those things and the other is from the board game Calico which has a special kickstarter promotional card for Shoppy. I'm glad I've got a Shoppy pin and I'm glad that Shoppy was able to get around in one way or another thanks to their owner's commissions.

Been thinking about getting one of those cloth sheets you hang on walls and display pins on. I don't know if they have a specific name or not.

Verdant is up on Kickstarter atm
Same team that designed Calico, and it's pretty cheap.

All their previous KS promos should be on the pledge manager, so I'm gonna pick up Shop Cat

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Verdant is up on Kickstarter atm
Same team that designed Calico, and it's pretty cheap.

All their previous KS promos should be on the pledge manager, so I'm gonna pick up Shop Cat

Yeah, I backed Verdant and it sounds like a fun time. Calico was really really good. I didn't back Cascadia so idk if it was any good or not but I just wasn't as down to try Cascadia like I was for Calico or Verdant.

Shoppy's promo card art is lovely.

Idk anything about Luna but Shoppy's just having a blast.

My favorite thing about Calico is still the one guy in the kickstarter comments who backed the game and then left several comments about how the game was ruined for him because the box cover doesn't feature a calico cat. He then talks about how the box not featuring a calico cat means that when he invites his friends over to play calico, the friends will likely see the box, notice that the box cover cat is not a calico cat, and will then start making fun of him a ton for owning a game called calico that doesn't have a calico cat on the cover. He was so upset at this hypothetical situation that he cancelled his pledge.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 26, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Solution own a Calico to make up for lack of Calico :hmmyes:

I'm trying to be very very picky with my KSing atm, but Verdant was an easy pickup due to how technically challenging Calico is.

Only other thing I'm seriously considering is going All-in on Mega Empires because I'm a broke brain person.

Doing an interest check of my players on Discord atm, but :lol: on grabbing the ultimate DOAM game and none of them want to play

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I could never play that game. For context for people who don't know what that is, mega empires is 2 separate games (western empires and eastern empires) put together to take up a ridiculous amount of space for a player count of up to 18 people and a game that can run for 12+ hours. A real all-day affair that requires a lot of real estate and commitment.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's nothing. Google campaign for northern africa

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The SUSD review does a pretty good job of why you would or wouldn't be interested in something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pBXSGZtS5E

Infinitum posted:

I'm a broke brain person.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

That's nothing. Google campaign for northern africa

No need, hoo boy no need

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

I said come in! posted:

I finished Xenogears today. Favorite PS1 era JRPG now.

You cant finish xenogears, not even the developers finished it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ah yes, Campaign for Africa.

A short sweet 1000+ hour game

HOPE YOU DON'T RUN OUT OF FUEL

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sometimes someone looks at a computer and goes "I bet I could do that"

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

cheetah7071 posted:

Sometimes someone looks at a computer and goes "I bet I could do that"

That's just math class, cheetah

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Andrast posted:

Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind.

gonna play one of the dune boardgames tomorrow actually

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just remember the detail about the Italian army in that game needing extra water because they were boiling pasta

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Campaign for North Africa features a rule for the Italians that requires them to make sure that they have enough water rations to cover for the pasta points. If the Italians do not keep extra water rations, their pasta will go uncooked and the soldiers will desert due to uncooked pasta. This is an actual rule.

It is also not historically accurate at all and was a joke the creator included because he thought it'd be funny if, in his very technical and fiddly historically accurate wargame, he added in that the Italians won't do poo poo unless their macaroni is boiled in water.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dammit

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What about gabbagool, is that modeled in the game systems

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Another infamous tabletop game is the art game Train by Brenda Romero, which is about players working to load a bunch of yellow pegs into trains on a board of shattered glass. The goal is to make sure you can fill up the trains as efficiently as possible. Then you turn over your destination card and discover that oops you've been a nazi the whole time and you've been loading Jewish people onto trains and shipping them to Auschwitz. The end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just finished Kena: Bridge of Spirits. Overall I'd say it was a rather enjoyable experience, incredible production values and pretty solid gameplay for a first-time indie studio. Reminded me a lot of The Pathless from last year, which I also liked.

So far in 2021 I have completed:

- Trials of Mana Remake
- Foregone
- Resident Evil Village
- Guilty Gear Strive
- Streets of Rage 4: Mr. X Nightmare (DLC)
- 12 Minutes
- Road 96
- Lake
- Life is Strange: True Colors
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits

Up Next: Life is Strange: Wavelengths (DLC)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i think the only game i've earnestly beaten start to finish this year is Outer Wilds

pretty close to end of Disco Elysium though