Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

El Burbo posted:

This kokoro figure is very nice

Puffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://twitter.com/touhouLW_Global/status/1441855023651115010
finally, i will marry yukari

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Is the theme of all fantasy rebirths weddings? Marrying Yukari and Reimu is all well and good, but I don't want child bride Cirno.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have no clue, this only just got added and they are adding characters to it piecemeal. i hope not.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Not really. I mean they’re all white but Reisen is just in a military officers uniform, and I dunno what occasion Alice is dressed for.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They were very adroit with the verbiage for fantasy rebirth, I thought it was going to be some kind of top tier new evolution for power gamers and then I saw the video and went: Oh, okay, that's why it's a "ring." I get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K18dzQrwppM

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Not really. I mean they’re all white but Reisen is just in a military officers uniform, and I dunno what occasion Alice is dressed for.

A tea party with the Mad Hatter?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For some reason Kasen's high heels are bothering me a lot.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
*immediately assumes the worst for no reason* oh yeah, thats pretty ftw

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Yukari and Kasen are clearly marrying each other and I wish the two of them the best.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/shmups/status/1442329077105324037

This is by Exa Arcadia, so it'll likely be exclusive to the vanishingly few Japanese arcades forever, but it's nice to know things.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Kasen throwing a fake marriage because she heard you get to eat a lot of food at the wedding reception.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hey hey it’s yearly popularity poll time get your picks in

https://toho-vote.info

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's a new feature where if you start to type the name in romaji it jumps to the names in Japanese:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

alas the days of trying to decipher who red barbarian or pure fox are is over

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Goodnight, Four Seasons Grand Theft Auto San Andreas MOD

Gone but not forgotten

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

It ended when Shiki stopped being the Grand Theft Auto San Andreas mod

e: f, beaten

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Going to celebrate playing mystic square by voting for a bunch of characters no one has ever heard of

I believe in you, spirit mirror

narm00
Feb 18, 2006
Foul Detective Satori returns in October, with Yuu Akimaki as artist.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Hmm

https://twitter.com/youkia2237/status/1442436803521245185?s=21

Good

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

I'm going to miss the surreal shojo style of the original artist. Hope they are ok.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

miniscule12 posted:

I'm going to miss the surreal shojo style of the original artist. Hope they are ok.

They’re still very active based on their Twitter.
https://twitter.com/yurerugin?s=21

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
She doesn't have the constitution (from having been/still are quite sick) to do a monthly manga is what happened, since that's an enormous amount of work, as you might expect, but that doesn't stop her from doing fanart and she's even working on a doujin on the side, I believe.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
17.5 is delayed again

https://twitter.com/tasofro/status/1443851423037280263?s=21

According to Unabara (Tasofro team producer), delays were due to personal illness, the team not being able to work together due to Covid, and problems with the game that needed to be reworked.

https://twitter.com/unabara/status/1443851884607913987?s=21
https://twitter.com/unabara/status/1443852243350876163?s=21

duck.exe fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 1, 2021

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

leather fedora posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1131920/LABYRINTH_OF_TOUHOU__GENSOUKYO_AND_THE_HEAVENPIERCING_TREE/
Japanese and Chinese only, but the new Labyrinth of Touhou is hitting Steam this month too.

Late to the party, but do we know if the current translation patch works with the steam version? I am kind of interested

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No it doesn't work because of newer version compatibility issues, but that doesn't matter anymore because they're bringing it in to the official release. Seems like it'll be done soon.
And this all started cause someone asked about it on Steam discussions and 3/4 of the old fantranslators showed up out of the blue to help.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

In what can no longer be called an upset since it’s happened twice, Youmu retains her crown and lazy miko even falls under her gf for the first time ever

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

drat, never thought i'd see the day Reimu couldn't even hit top 2.

Times are changing.

E: Mamizou and Komachi both dropped places. This poll was a failure.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 4, 2021

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Murasa gets a cool coat and climbs over 20 spots!

Oh yeah here’s the link

https://toho-vote.info/result

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Reimu won, and by a lot!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Reimu would have won if the poll had closed after tomorrow’s announcement of her inclusion in smash but alas

It’s cool how there are almost twice as many votes in this years poll as there were two years ago. Touhou going up!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

El Burbo posted:

Reimu would have won if the poll had closed after tomorrow’s announcement of her inclusion in smash but alas

It’s cool how there are almost twice as many votes in this years poll as there were two years ago. Touhou going up!

All the primary school girls who make up the invisible majority of the fanbase have gone online. There's no saving them now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That's weird because it's felt to me like Touhou has been on a decline starting with Ten Desires

Maybe just in the west though

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
not in the west either. very very specifically a vocal minority who feels the games ten desires on have been half baked compared to earlier entries. for some reason the outsize representation this incredibly small group has is astronomical (they arent right even if you limit it to just people who actually play the games, because stuff like score competitions, getting touhou at gdq etc are all more recent than loving ten desires, a decade old game) but its not true.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

To be honest, I really like the Stage 3 theme and the Stage 4 theme music in Ten Desires. And maybe Mamizou's theme.

Otherwise, I have nothing to say about Ten Desires.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Even if you go off of a basic metric like Google Trends, Touhou in the west is currently the biggest it's ever been, because the number of those who are searching for it exceeds its previous peak around 2012, and enfranchised fans aren't googling Touhou much, so that alone implies it's had a huge influx of new blood.

What makes it feel like it's on a decline is that old fans cycle out regularly, and that includes content creators. Some musicians, game makers, and artists who were hugely active during the 2007-2012 era are gone (often because they're employed professionally now!) and that can make it feel like that it's dying - but that perspective fails to catch that there's also new fans cycling in at the same time, and some of those are content creators, too. The funniest thing about this though is that the past few years has seen a lot of those old creators come back to Touhou, if only sometimes because UnknownX is paying them to do so, like how bkub did those Danmaku Kagura 2-panel comics. Or how Nakatani Nio, immediately after having finished writing one of the most mainstream popular Yuri series of recent years, just jumped right back into doing a Hifuu doujin the moment she was done. Or how Liz Triangle is not only back but really active and doing a lot of collaboration stuff now, too.

Even numbers like how Comiket's Touhou representation has gone down over the years ignores that Reitaisai for ages just kept getting bigger. All people did was move their focus to the Touhou convention and less on the general one.

mdct fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 5, 2021

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The people love Touhou and that's a fact.

Touhou rules.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Now, in Japan there actually was a noticeable dip in activity ever since Ten Desires, yeah (which has for the past 3 or so years been swinging back upwards, too - it's not just over here,) which I have always attributed to the rise of, well, waifubait gacha stuff. Which, uh, also helps explains the rise on back up, too.

Touhou as a series was treated by a lot of people like one of those before they became commonplace popular things, but fundamentally, the series' actual writing and content does its absolute best to resist the concept since it's about extremely independent and strong-willed women to begin with, and especially also has a long-standing reputation as being an unofficially Yuri series. So when Kantai Collection hit and an enormous exodus happened, it was mostly because people found their single-trait-and-design and often-hetero waifu content a lot easier to make when the game was... explicitly about letting you do that, from top to bottom. It's basically corporate laser-targeted toward the lonely college students audience that Touhou had a huge grip of. And then more stuff along that line kept hittin' too, like FGO, Azur Lane, Girls' Frontline or w/e each hitting a previous appeal point of Touhou combined with the gacha game format meant more and more siphoning of people over time.

I think a large part of Touhou's resurgence in Japan, too, has to do with three things. I don't think you can overstate how much UnknownX contributes to this, since they've taken up slack on being an organizing force for fan conventions, concerts, live streams, funding that the series didn't previously have because it's just one guy making most of the games and a different small team making the rest. The zeitgeist that previously inspired those things was just gone, because Touhou moved its way into being a deeply enfranchised series instead of a flavor-of-the-month fad. Kids will be able to tell you who Reimu is, but people weren't exactly obsessed with the series anymore.

Also! Undertale happened, a hugely, hugely popular game that was explicitly inspired by Touhou and Toby Fox then ended up doing interviews with ZUN and other things, all of which drew attention back to the series.

And then the final (removed) nail from this coffin is... well, Lost Word is a pretty reasonably successful Gacha, all things considered. I kind of hate to give it to 'em but Lost Word definitely super contributes to it being consistently in the public eye again.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1445223737721298947?s=19

good smile has a new line of touhou figurines that are super cheap or something... this art style is also used to create new kill la kill figurines too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

sb hermit posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodSmile_US/status/1445223737721298947?s=19

good smile has a new line of touhou figurines that are super cheap or something... this art style is also used to create new kill la kill figurines too

they are also incredibly cute and i am about to die!!! screaming!!!! CUTE!!!!!

also a lot of the new fans are kind of settling into much smaller groups than they did before, small social media circles and discords, partially because big groups have fallen off and partially because the 'big' touhou groups suck rear end.

for japan, danmaku kagura also ran a fuckoff huge ad campaign before its launch which likely contributed to the surge of votes since i'm sure it caused people who may have forgotten about it to get back on the touhou train, as well as introduced it to new people. it is also reasonably successful even if it's predatory to a extent that even makes flinch, and I play lostword AND granblue fantasy.

https://twitter.com/gift_news/status/1443820127313559555 bonus new fumos. the unforuttnate part is they're going with amiami again so better hope it doesn't crash again/they come in with no stock.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Oct 5, 2021