Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I used to just have the Halfords one. Was about £99 about ten years ago and had imperial and metric sockets, torx, Allen, Phillips and spark plug stuff as well. Seemed decent enough quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So was going to be doing some concrete removal today at my house. Call 811 last week like a good little boy.
University nearby is somehow a utility. Hasn't responded, they listed bad phone numbers with 811, and its Saturday, so good luck finding a breathing person with authority on a university campus.
Pretty pissed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just start digging. You’ll find somebody quick!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

nm posted:

So was going to be doing some concrete removal today at my house. Call 811 last week like a good little boy.
University nearby is somehow a utility. Hasn't responded, they listed bad phone numbers with 811, and its Saturday, so good luck finding a breathing person with authority on a university campus.
Pretty pissed.

Complain to 811 if they haven't responded by whatever number of days that they are required to.
Around here (Ontario) Locates are supposed to be completed in "a timely manner" but I don't think there is a set number of days, which makes things a real piss off when 3 weeks later we're still waiting for something so we can get a job done.

In some jurisdictions they're supposed to be done within like 5-7 business days.

Also, in my experience, some universities are "utilities" because they may have some network wiring and such that extends across public roads. Some BIAs are also listed on the One Call sheets here too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Complain to 811 if they haven't responded by whatever number of days that they are required to.
Around here (Ontario) Locates are supposed to be completed in "a timely manner" but I don't think there is a set number of days, which makes things a real piss off when 3 weeks later we're still waiting for something so we can get a job done.

In some jurisdictions they're supposed to be done within like 5-7 business days.

Also, in my experience, some universities are "utilities" because they may have some network wiring and such that extends across public roads. Some BIAs are also listed on the One Call sheets here too.

They are required under CA state law to respond to any ticket created 48 hrs (well technically 2 days, not including the request day) before the dig. It's a 10,000 fine, though who know if they enforce. I am also not allowed to dig without it ($20,000 fine).
I've called 811, and they're not responding to 811 either.
I just hate incompetence.

Krakkles posted:

Just start digging. You’ll find somebody quick!
Lol, you'd think that, but per 811 the emergency line just goes to voice mail. They seemed pretty confused that all 3 numbers, including the emergency number are effectively dead. Though I guess making taking out the network might get someone to pay attention.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Cut the fiber and ask whoever shows up for their contact number.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ryanrs posted:

Cut the fiber and ask whoever shows up for their contact number.

If only I knew where the fiber was! Foiled again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nm posted:

It's always in the last place you would expect so start there

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

nm posted:

Just start digging. I believe in you!

Powershift posted:

Look for a place where they won't be able to get the fiber splicing van.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If you're on private property, and not really near any university buildings, or in between one or more buildings, and not really "digging" per-se just breaking up concrete you're probably fine. But that being said I, as someone who has to deal with underground utility locates on a regular basis would refuse to drill if I didn't have that one.

I don't know how things work there, but is there anything on your request sheet, or whatever it is that they call the sheet that has the list of utilities that may indicate its clear?
I know I'm across the continent, and in a different country, but on "request" sheets here, sometimes certain things can be cleared by the One Call locate centre, and thus don't need a locator to come out. It will usually say "Cleared" on the sheet, or in the old days it would have just a "-C" next to the utility name/code. YMMV obviously.

Though it doesn't seem to be applicable in your case, around here certain companies are actually taking themselves off our One Call requests if they don't have anything in the immediate vicinity of where we're working. Like it used to be that Bell Telephone (among others) would always be on every request no matter what even if it was just to say "All Clear", but now they're not even on some requests which took some getting used to. Every locate request for years was minimum Bell, Gas, Electric, sometimes other stuff, but now on some rural properties there might only be electric on the request, and nothing else.

Do you have a private locate?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

wesleywillis posted:

If you're on private property, and not really near any university buildings, or in between one or more buildings, and not really "digging" per-se just breaking up concrete you're probably fine. But that being said I, as someone who has to deal with underground utility locates on a regular basis would refuse to drill if I didn't have that one.

I don't know how things work there, but is there anything on your request sheet, or whatever it is that they call the sheet that has the list of utilities that may indicate its clear?
I know I'm across the continent, and in a different country, but on "request" sheets here, sometimes certain things can be cleared by the One Call locate centre, and thus don't need a locator to come out. It will usually say "Cleared" on the sheet, or in the old days it would have just a "-C" next to the utility name/code. YMMV obviously.

Though it doesn't seem to be applicable in your case, around here certain companies are actually taking themselves off our One Call requests if they don't have anything in the immediate vicinity of where we're working. Like it used to be that Bell Telephone (among others) would always be on every request no matter what even if it was just to say "All Clear", but now they're not even on some requests which took some getting used to. Every locate request for years was minimum Bell, Gas, Electric, sometimes other stuff, but now on some rural properties there might only be electric on the request, and nothing else.

Do you have a private locate?

Yeah, we have an online program that operators are required (by gov code) to mark that they have either marked the property, contacted me, or marked as clear. This particular operator has failed to do that in the time required by state law. They have also failed to update any phone numbers, including hilariously, the emergency line. While I suspect if anything is running under my property it is telecom/fiber, I am pretty sure they also have a steam plant, and I'm not loving around with that.

I'm not sure what you mean by a private locate? Do you mean the contractor who likely is supposed to do this for the operator? Neither 811 (USA North) nor myself knows who that is, the only contacts are disconnected phone numbers. Perhaps just as worrying, they have email addresses where I believe these are sent and I'm not certain either of the two people listed to email still work there based on their #'s being disconnected.

Per CA law, I am required to do this for both breaking the concrete (and planting the tree I'm planting there).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lol, someone actually responded to the email. No ETA yet.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

The fibre knows where it is, because the fibre knows where it isn’t!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

nm posted:

Yeah, we have an online program that operators are required (by gov code) to mark that they have either marked the property, contacted me, or marked as clear. This particular operator has failed to do that in the time required by state law. They have also failed to update any phone numbers, including hilariously, the emergency line. While I suspect if anything is running under my property it is telecom/fiber, I am pretty sure they also have a steam plant, and I'm not loving around with that.

I'm not sure what you mean by a private locate? Do you mean the contractor who likely is supposed to do this for the operator? Neither 811 (USA North) nor myself knows who that is, the only contacts are disconnected phone numbers. Perhaps just as worrying, they have email addresses where I believe these are sent and I'm not certain either of the two people listed to email still work there based on their #'s being disconnected.

Per CA law, I am required to do this for both breaking the concrete (and planting the tree I'm planting there).

Private locates are for private utilities. Much like those on public property, they can be above or below ground.
Private utilities are utilities owned by property/home owners. So, if you have a gas line running from your house to a built in barbecue = private utility.
Detached garage, with power from house to garage? Private utility.

Lights (that aren't street lights) at the end of your driveway? Private.

I don't know about there, but here the city/municipality only owns the water lines up to the shut off. So from the shut off valve to your house, thats yours thus a private utility.
Sprinkler system? Private utility.

You own a store, and its got a lighted sign in the parking lot. Whether the wire is underground or above ground, thats another private utility.

Some giant rear end factory, chemical plant or refinery for example has multiple buildings and power, water, gas etc... going between buildings? Once it comes from the main feed to whatever passes for an electrical meter/water meter/gas meter, and then branches off to each building is a private utility.

Gas stations: the electrical lines going from wherever to the pumps, and the fuel lines going from the USTs (Underground Storage Tanks) to the pumps, also private.

If its your property and you're certain that you don't have any water/power etc lines in the vicinity of the work then you're probably fine, but IANAL.

Here are a few private locators in California. I have no idea if any of them are good or not, just that here are a few of them that might fit the bill.

http://www.safesitellc.com/

https://1stcallutilitylocating.com/

https://www.pclocators.com/

https://www.privateutilitylocating.com/index.html

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The only lines I have under this spot are going to be providers at are under 811, with the exception of the water line out of the meter, but because the meter is visible and I know where it enters my house I'm not worried about that. It is my property and in CA anything not owned by me has to register with 811.
Otherwise, I have street lighting lines (which the city marked) and a gas line (marked). My sewer is in my backyard (this is the front) for some reason. The only mystery left is whatever this university has.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

And to end the drama they have nothing on my property at all, but their system hosed up and they didn't get the ticket or something.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

You're totally going to hit some long forgotten but still critical line that only the guy that used to be at that disconnected number knew about. It probably goes to a mostly abandoned wing of some old building where an undocumented server has been humming along for the past 20 years thanks to the IT version of the Wile E. Coyote Principle.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Galler posted:

You're totally going to hit some long forgotten but still critical line that only the guy that used to be at that disconnected number knew about. It probably goes to a mostly abandoned wing of some old building where an undocumented server has been humming along for the past 20 years thanks to the IT version of the Wile E. Coyote Principle.
Sounds fun.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Life has taken an unexpected turn for the worse, unrelated to the still unknown status of the mass in my head.

I had an extremely brief moment of weakness today and while I've pulled myself together I'm honestly considering a psyche hold.

Have any of you ever done a voluntary hold?

In my 3rd party experience it's not any better than an involuntary hold... or jail.
I hope you can find the help, that you need, and quickly. <3

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Galler posted:

Given how these things work, that is a load-bearing server that somehow disables the entire university comms grid when disconnected.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

UK gang, who's having fun with the petrol shortage that's apparently not a shortage but we have no drivers to deliver petrol which has caused a shortage (but isn't a shortage)?

I went into town to catch up with a friend on Friday and we went for a little cycle and ended up sat in a park for like 6 hours talking. During that time the traffic queue on the main road which leads to an Asda petrol station half a mile or so away was constant. We got back to his house and I threw the bike in the car and drove home past another station which had traffic backed up onto the road. On the way back I pass a station, nobody there, call into another to pop a tenner in as I'm under a 1/4 and there was two other people there. Even further out, my local station had a single car in it. City folk be panicking it seems.

I picked up a motorbike last week but I have a CBT to take Tuesday before I can legally ride the thing. Solid timing it seems which would be a first for me.

*edit: lmao, state of this loving country. I'd like to make you aware that I voted for none of this.

https://twitter.com/MirrorPolitics/status/1442047701835735041?s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 26, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The consequences of Brexit just get more and more LOL worthy if it wasnt for the fact only a quarter of the UK voted for it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Latest government chat is to try and convince the European drivers they did this to last year around Christmas time

https://twitter.com/spaceangel1964/status/1441851149372559362?s=19

https://twitter.com/Trevor_GBDE/status/1342184027499995138?s=19

...to take a 3 month visa that ends on Christmas eve. We hate foreigners until we need foreigners but also we still hate them by offering them terrible conditions when we need them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Latest government chat is to try and convince the European drivers they did this to last year around Christmas time

https://twitter.com/spaceangel1964/status/1441851149372559362?s=19

https://twitter.com/Trevor_GBDE/status/1342184027499995138?s=19

...to take a 3 month visa that ends on Christmas eve. We hate foreigners until we need foreigners but also we still hate them by offering them terrible conditions when we need them.

Whaaaaat the hell caused that?

AKAIK The EU has a bit of a shortage itself and I have no doubt companies in the EU are able to offer better pay and condtions.......

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
If Brexit isn't the cause of labour shortages isn't it weird that reversing Brexit labour policy is going to help fix the problem?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AKAIK The EU has a bit of a shortage itself and I have no doubt companies in the EU are able to offer better pay and condtions.......

40 years of not having to deal with customs while crossing the channel then suddenly having to deal with mounds of paperwork and a system hastily slapped together at the last minute despite years of warning? I'm sure some guy who went to school with a senior Tory probably made plenty of money off the contract for that system though.

The EU does have a driver shortage, but they don't seem to be struggling with product shortages.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

These were last year before we crashed out of the EU and the government assured everyone that everything will be fine but also that they needed to build a giant truck park/customs setup in one of the nicer parts of the country. Obviously work started really late on this because the government were certain they'd get a deal despite the EU going "you wanted out, this is what you're getting" for a period of 4 years.

So trucks from the EU were made to just sit on airfields and drivers weren't allowed out and had gently caress all in terms of facilities provided which led to nice people providing food and drink so they didn't die.

If anyone ever tries to tell you that this isn't a joke of a country run by idiots, voted in by idiots, laugh in their face.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The UK continues to be a farce. Amazing :allears:

If any of you guys are in IT and specifically security/IAM, my employer is hiring.

Come to Denmark, we're equally as racist and governed by idiots, but at least we're still in the EU :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

UK gang, who's having fun with the petrol shortage that's apparently not a shortage but we have no drivers to deliver petrol which has caused a shortage (but isn't a shortage)?

I went into town to catch up with a friend on Friday and we went for a little cycle and ended up sat in a park for like 6 hours talking. During that time the traffic queue on the main road which leads to an Asda petrol station half a mile or so away was constant. We got back to his house and I threw the bike in the car and drove home past another station which had traffic backed up onto the road. On the way back I pass a station, nobody there, call into another to pop a tenner in as I'm under a 1/4 and there was two other people there. Even further out, my local station had a single car in it. City folk be panicking it seems.

I picked up a motorbike last week but I have a CBT to take Tuesday before I can legally ride the thing. Solid timing it seems which would be a first for me.

*edit: lmao, state of this loving country. I'd like to make you aware that I voted for none of this.

Got lucky and found a petrol station that had just finished receiving a delivery and there was barely a queue yet. Good thing too cuz both our cars were empty lol

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Wife has a 1/4 tank of diesel but only needs to do about 20 miles most weeks, I have a half tank of petrol but need a full one every week. I'm WFH Monday so hoping by Tuesday the idiots have all got full tanks and the stations are back to normal. 2 local stations had 1/4 - 1/2 mile long queues yesterday.

quote:

Nice, what did you get? I did my CBT over a year ago and situation/finances/cheap used bike availability have conspired to not let me get a bike yet :(

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

KozmoNaut posted:

If any of you guys are in IT and specifically security/IAM, my employer is hiring.

Come to Denmark, we're equally as racist and governed by idiots, but at least we're still in the EU :v:

Can I work for you from Florida? IAM-only sounds like a nice break.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

Wife has a 1/4 tank of diesel but only needs to do about 20 miles most weeks, I have a half tank of petrol but need a full one every week. I'm WFH Monday so hoping by Tuesday the idiots have all got full tanks and the stations are back to normal. 2 local stations had 1/4 - 1/2 mile long queues yesterday.

Nice, what did you get? I did my CBT over a year ago and situation/finances/cheap used bike availability have conspired to not let me get a bike yet :(

It doesn't help that there's been bellends filling multiple Jerry cans at stations which has hosed over others who may actually need to be somewhere.

And I picked up a Benelli TNT 125, it's one of those smaller bikes like the Honda Grom. Been for a couple of runs round the block and I can already tell it's going to be great fun. I was going to look at a couple of other ones in a similar style but there's understandably a bit of a shortage going on. I got the last green they had and were likely to get for a couple of months.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nice, grom geometry looks fun.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm posted:

UT Austin not only has their own steam plant, they have their own power grid.

And they're tied into a tiny portion of the buildings nearby..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Hi, that's me. But Denmark is kinda far from Atlanta.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

My mates are back fixing the Skylines drift damage, prior to going to Matsuri to presumably do more damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6lzoFzHLU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I wanna thank the UK for taking one for the team and becoming the worst english speaking wealthy nation.
-- 'murica

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

nm posted:

I wanna thank the UK for taking one for the team and becoming the worst english speaking wealthy nation.
-- 'murica

This is an exhibition game, USA will still win the regular season.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Any updates from Rhyno?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

cakesmith handyman posted:

Nice, grom geometry looks fun.
Ge-Grom-etry