Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey thread, I'm looking for a recommendation, please. The wife's looking for some in-ear wireless listening to help pass the time while she's doing things on her own. Currently, she's using some off-brand Walmart Special Airpod-styled things that only last like 2 hours at a time. For the most part, she listens to either Spotify or various podcasts. Mostly, she just wants more battery life somehow, and is curious on what her options are.

Budget - Under $100 preferred. Budget options are best right now.
Source - pretty much solely a Samsung smart phone via bluetooth. The phone does not have a headphone jack.
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I guess either something that focuses on vocals, or balanced? We're both not really sure.
Past Headphones - We don't have specific model numbers, as she's not picky enough to have specific favorites apparently. She liked her current set just due to the ease of use.
Preferred Music - When I asked her this, she said "All kinds", which I get doesn't really help.

She's kinda being intentionally obtuse about answering some of the questions right now for reasons known only to her. It's a bit frustrating. I'm trying to recall what you'd call a set of earbuds/IEMs that are connected by a cable that has a battery and control buttons as a separate thing. I know I've seen those a while back, but don't recall seeing anything very recently. I think ideally, she'd be happy to be able to get like 6-8 hours of life out of something before it needs recharging, so I guess we'll start with that as a jumping off point. Are there any options that hit those marks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

Arcsech posted:

Does anyone happen to know if an Antlion Modmic will stick to a set of Focal Clears? Or any other Focal headphone given they all have pretty much the same design - I’m concerned because there’s no much of a flat area to stick it to, it’s mostly curved.

The closest I've been to this scenario is a clip-on audio-technica microphone and the Sennheiser 650 - the adhesive failed so I resorted to super-gluing the mic to the headset grille. Eventually the microphone died so I had to claw it off the grille.

The Kenosha Kid
Sep 15, 2007

You never did.
Is there any reason to choose etymotic er2xr's over er3xr's? They're currently the same price and both advertised as accurate with the bass bumped up a bit. The more technical differences are going over my head, so just checking if I'd be making a mistake getting the normally more expensive 3's. They'd be used primarily for music from a cell phone/pc.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I've read people here and elsewhere liking the 2s more, and from what I read I was intrigued enough that getting a set to compliment my 3s is something I've considered. There's tradeoffs but I think the consensus was the 2s check more boxes for more people sound wise?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking for a recommendation, please. The wife's looking for some in-ear wireless listening to help pass the time while she's doing things on her own. Currently, she's using some off-brand Walmart Special Airpod-styled things that only last like 2 hours at a time. For the most part, she listens to either Spotify or various podcasts. Mostly, she just wants more battery life somehow, and is curious on what her options are.

Budget - Under $100 preferred. Budget options are best right now.
Source - pretty much solely a Samsung smart phone via bluetooth. The phone does not have a headphone jack.
Isolation Requirements - None.
Preferred Type of Headphone - IEM or earbud.
Preferred Tonal Balance - I guess either something that focuses on vocals, or balanced? We're both not really sure.
Past Headphones - We don't have specific model numbers, as she's not picky enough to have specific favorites apparently. She liked her current set just due to the ease of use.
Preferred Music - When I asked her this, she said "All kinds", which I get doesn't really help.

She's kinda being intentionally obtuse about answering some of the questions right now for reasons known only to her. It's a bit frustrating. I'm trying to recall what you'd call a set of earbuds/IEMs that are connected by a cable that has a battery and control buttons as a separate thing. I know I've seen those a while back, but don't recall seeing anything very recently. I think ideally, she'd be happy to be able to get like 6-8 hours of life out of something before it needs recharging, so I guess we'll start with that as a jumping off point. Are there any options that hit those marks?

Honestly I’d look at the Beats lineup if she’s ok with earbuds that have a cable going between them. It’s going to be hard to find quality “true wireless” buds under $100, but you can get Beats Flex for like $60. Spending a bit over your budget ($120-150) gets you Powerbeats non-pro, although you could probably score a set of Powerbeats Pro for under $150 on Black Friday/etc.

There’s also thread-favorite Plantronics BackBeat Fit, which can be had for anywhere from $30 to $100 depending on the model year. Never tried the “true wireless” ones but I remember hearing mixed-to-negative reviews, but my green-and-black $55 set with the band across the back from Costco is now 3 years old and still getting like 5+ hours of battery

They have a nice “semi-open” design to allow for some ambient noise which makes them good as an all-day/WFH set of phones

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So I found my ER4s as I mentioned before. Unfortunately the right earpiece doesn't work. I had this happen before, only for the reason to turn out to be a dirty filter, but I don't have any extra around to try it. Is there any way to detach these older style cables, and swap them around? This is to eliminate the possibility that it's a problem with cable or connector.

They're pretty solidly attached and there's no mention of it in the manual.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If it's an ER4S the cable should slide straight out. Don't try twisting it, that will damage the connectors.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Kenosha Kid posted:

Is there any reason to choose etymotic er2xr's over er3xr's? They're currently the same price and both advertised as accurate with the bass bumped up a bit. The more technical differences are going over my head, so just checking if I'd be making a mistake getting the normally more expensive 3's. They'd be used primarily for music from a cell phone/pc.

They have a lot more subbass oomph while not sacrificing much detail for it, and they don't have "BA timbre" which is a slight metallic color to balanced armature treble that the 3xr has a tiny bit of if you strain real hard to hear it.

The downside is the included cable is terrible and will annoy the poo poo out of you when it rubs your shirt and transmits that noise directly into your brain. I've never use a more microphonic cable, holy poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

If it's an ER4S the cable should slide straight out. Don't try twisting it, that will damage the connectors.

It's actually ER4P, I think, I just kind of pluralizes it automatically without thinking. But I suppose the connection would be the same, though they really don't want to come off straight out.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I've never use a more microphonic cable, holy poo poo.
Have you tried the ER4 my dude

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
I tried out the er2xr and I liked them! However, I ran into a problem - both my phone and my laptop need to be at max volume in order to get a reasonable amount of volume from them. In particular, the bottom half of my phone's volume slider might as well not exist.
I don't really want to buy an amp, seeing as the entire point of getting a phone with a headphone jack was to avoid additional dangly bits. What are other options are there?
The er3xr is on deep discount on Amazon, and seem to be more sensitive than the er2xr. I'm not sure how much more sensitive they are, though.
There's some other IEMs I've heard things about, like the Moondrop Starfield and the Tin T2 Plus. Would they have enough isolation, for, say, an international plane flight?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

siotle posted:

I tried out the er2xr and I liked them! However, I ran into a problem - both my phone and my laptop need to be at max volume in order to get a reasonable amount of volume from them. In particular, the bottom half of my phone's volume slider might as well not exist.
I don't really want to buy an amp, seeing as the entire point of getting a phone with a headphone jack was to avoid additional dangly bits. What are other options are there?
The er3xr is on deep discount on Amazon, and seem to be more sensitive than the er2xr. I'm not sure how much more sensitive they are, though.
There's some other IEMs I've heard things about, like the Moondrop Starfield and the Tin T2 Plus. Would they have enough isolation, for, say, an international plane flight?

That doesn't sound right. You sure you have them fully inserted? They should be pretty easy to power.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

That doesn't sound right. You sure you have them fully inserted? They should be pretty easy to power.

They’re difficult to drive, in my experience

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

siotle posted:

I have the regular Tin T2s and used them at work for months with no issues, they also come with memory foam tips that give great isolation. The T2 Plus seem to have a bit of love/hate among people where some people think they're the peak of the T2 line and others think they're unbearably shrill, if you're not a treble head you might prefer the regular T2s or the T2 Evos that recently came out. I haven't used the Starfield but I do have the Moondrop Arias and they're my current walking IEMs, they do just fine walking along a busy road so they or the Starfields should be more than good enough for a flight.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They have a lot more subbass oomph while not sacrificing much detail for it, and they don't have "BA timbre" which is a slight metallic color to balanced armature treble that the 3xr has a tiny bit of if you strain real hard to hear it.

The downside is the included cable is terrible and will annoy the poo poo out of you when it rubs your shirt and transmits that noise directly into your brain. I've never use a more microphonic cable, holy poo poo.

I almost forgot how loving horrible that cable is. It's the WORST.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.

njsykora posted:

I have the regular Tin T2s and used them at work for months with no issues, they also come with memory foam tips that give great isolation. The T2 Plus seem to have a bit of love/hate among people where some people think they're the peak of the T2 line and others think they're unbearably shrill, if you're not a treble head you might prefer the regular T2s or the T2 Evos that recently came out. I haven't used the Starfield but I do have the Moondrop Arias and they're my current walking IEMs, they do just fine walking along a busy road so they or the Starfields should be more than good enough for a flight.

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look at those.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I want to get aftermarket pads for my DT770s. Is it the Dekoni pads that are popular? What do people think of the leather and/or sheepskin pads? I'd like something less prone to grunge than the OEM velour pads.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I quite like the Dekoni Choice Leather ones I got, which I think is one of their cheaper models. Slightly better bass than stock. My only complaint is it gets pretty warm, which is expected compared to velour.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

There’s a Bluetooth over-ear shaped hole in my collection and I can get the Sony XM3 or the Jabra Elite 85h for the same price at the moment. Based exclusively on sound quality, which one would you say is better?

I listen to a super wide selection of music, pretty much everything but classical.

I am aware that the XM3 has better ANC and the Jabra has a reputation for amazing battery life, also looks better.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Edit: whoops, it’s the Jabra Evolve 75 I got… a little different. I’ll leave this post in case someone finds it useful.

I personally just bought the Jabra and my only complaint is the clamping pressure after 2+ hours of wearing. It’s easy to connect and use, has good sound quality for Zoom, and when compared to the mic quality of the Plantronics Voyager (which is quite good), it stands out as more clear.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

okay i'm going for the triple post, gently caress it (edit: thank god someone broke the chain)

i picked up some Tin P1s for a song off of reddit and they're so loving weird. my LG V30 absolutely cannot power them, which rules out every other phone and most dongles. my BTR1k threw in the towel, laptops and motherboards can get hosed, ps4 controller go home. these are iems that are not exactly very useful as iems.

what you need is a desktop amp or something portable with oomph. my topping A30 works at medium gain at 3 o'clock or so. my es100 in high gain through the balanced jack works with about 10db headroom left. so anyway:

pros:

+ motherfucking lightning fast detail in your face at all times across the whole frequency range. you will absolutely hear things for the first time in music you know by heart.
+ pretty decent tuning other than a lack of subbass, but a little EQ and it'll whomp just fine
+ flawless imaging

cons:

- motherfucking lightning fast detail in your face at all times across the whole frequency range gets fatiguing reasonably quickly
- while it will whomp just fine, it is not a dynamic driver and will not rattle your fillings. bass can be impressive, but not as impactful as a dynamic.
- tiny little art deco looking shells that fit weird, with a cable that is just okay

this is just an afternoon of owning them but they get the extreme headphone nerd seal of approval. i don't think these should be your only headphone but if you collect them you should own these.

Going back to this because I bought the P1s myself, i agree with basically all of it but I will say while my phone, Macbook and none of my iPods liked them they ran just fine out of my Fiio M3 Pro and E10K so they’re not as hard to run in my experience as you found. The cable being as average as it is is weird, since the T2 cable is way nicer just on feel so I know Tin can do better. As a first experience of planars though it was pretty mind expanding and glorious.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Real quick: wired earbuds under $50 dollars for riding on my trainer bike for watching movies.

Thanks!

edit: I have a headphone amp

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Very similar to the poster before me so perhaps this is good timing:

Looking for some wired in ears to listen to music from my phone. Mostly techno, but doesn’t need to be all about the base.

50-100 EUR budget

Remote & mic is a plus

Edit: seeing a super similar question on the last page, I’m gonna dig into that :) sorry for posting w/o reading

Serendipitaet fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 23, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
super cheap iems:

Moondrop Quarks - $13. Cheap, sounds great, fixed cable, tiny shells.
Tanchjim Tanya - $20. Cheap, sounds great, much better fixed cable, tiny shells.
Blon BL-03 - $30. Removable but crappy cable, somewhat weird fit but absolutely tremendous tuning and decent technicality.
Tin T2 Plus - $60. Good cable, good shells, similar to the BL-03 with less but better bass and much better midrange.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd say if you're exercising inside the Tanyas are the ones, super comfortable but their big wide vents make them kinda suck for walking in busy areas. If you're going outside the Tins are the ones, basically anything in the T2 line is good to great, and they come with memory foam tips which are great for blocking noise.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

K8.0 posted:

I want to get aftermarket pads for my DT770s. Is it the Dekoni pads that are popular? What do people think of the leather and/or sheepskin pads? I'd like something less prone to grunge than the OEM velour pads.

I got the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads. I'll try to remember to check back in down the road and see how they age. First impressions : new, they don't quite have the same bass emphasis that a brand new pair of OEM velour pads have, but they are more punchy. I'm finding myself listening at lower volumes. Comfort level is great, and my initial impression is that they will probably hold up to hair grease much better than velour. The best part is the installation - Dekoni uses stretchy material rather than the satanic stiff poo poo that Beyer makes you fight with. Even if I decide I'd prefer velour pads again, I'll be going with Dekoni just for that.

One thing I can absolutely vouch for : These slider replacements for any Beyerdynamic DT series headphones. Go ahead and get a pair made and install them, even if yours haven't broken. It's incredible how much more durable these are made out of PLA, I've had them for about a year and a half and there's absolutely no wear where a pair of OE sliders would be getting a bit twisty in every direction by this point. Mandatory upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 24, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Budget - 50-75 U$D
Source - Android
Isolation Requirements - No
Preferred Type of Headphone - Earbud
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - JBuds J3, JLab Audio J5, Panasonic RP-HJE120-KA
Preferred Music - Synthwave

Hey thread, I could use your help finding some new wireless earbuds for the gym.

My phone's headphone port is hosed up and the right audio channel doesn't like to work unless the cable is rotated just right. I have always preferred earbuds and don't like having hooks wrapped over my ear, having a "wreath" behind my head, or cords draped over my neck. I'm hopeful that some bluetooth earbuds can stave off buying a new phone just for gym jams.

Is there anything decent in this price range? I am a bit tired of spending $10 on earbuds every 6-9 months so I'm open to spending up a little bit, but my hearing is a bit damaged so I don't need/want audiophile gear.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

super cheap iems:

Moondrop Quarks - $13. Cheap, sounds great, fixed cable, tiny shells.

Ha Ha! I guess in the IEM market you supply your own ear buds? I had some, and smooshed em on. These sound pretty decent! Thanks guys! (oh lol, i found them the were stuck in the packaging)

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 25, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

Ha Ha! I guess in the IEM market you supply your own ear buds? I had some, and smooshed em on. These sound pretty decent! Thanks guys! (oh lol, i found them the were stuck in the packaging)

Yeah the promo photos for the Quarks are weird.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

njsykora posted:

Yeah the promo photos for the Quarks are weird.

A couple weeks ago Moondrop just posted literal hentai of their Mascot on their Instagram. They're really leaning into the weeb aesthetic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They leaned into that aesthetic years ago when they made an engraving of the mascot a design option on the Blessing. They know their image.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I was definitely puzzled by the L and R markings on the product. I did notice the catgirl on the reference card that came with them. Showed my wife who appropriately rolled her eyes. I didn't know they are ecchi bakas!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
moondrop going in hard for that ZeosPantera crowd

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its awesome because whenever you see Super Serious Audiophile reviewers they always complain about the anime girl packaging.

This is all small crimes compared to how they only put out the SSPs in blue and the identical shell SSRs come in green and pink as well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

njsykora posted:

They leaned into that aesthetic years ago when they made an engraving of the mascot a design option on the Blessing. They know their image.

I'm pretty sure that anyone that orders that custom engraving is immediately put on a government watch list of some sort.

Really, Moondrop is doing the world a favor.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anyone have experience with the Sony WH-1000XM4 and multipoint? I'm trying to find a way to switch easily between my desktop PC and my TV, and as far I can tell it's impossible. I can't even use the app since my phone isn't paired with this set-up.

Why didn't they just add a tiny button to the headphones so you could just press a button to switch between devices? This is so needlessly frustrating and defeats the entire purpose of multipoint.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
apropos of ZeosPantera and anime girls, is there a thread consensus on how much of a pedo he is? A lot? A little? Not at all? A gimmick?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I gave away my KPH30i to my niece when there was a last minute headphones emergency for her tablet right before my relatives were about to take a flight. I was going to replace them with another set, but after looking into it a bit more, I decided to get the KSC75 and do the Parts Express headband conversion. I didn't realize that the KSC75 has a different driver than the one in the KPH30i and Porta Pros, and I still have my Porta Pros, so I figured I'd mix it up a bit.

All the goodies, including Yaxi pads, should get here by next weekend.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
What is this headband conversion?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

What is this headband conversion?

probably something that belongs in the “ridicule audiophiles” thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Given that the KSC75 are I think the ones that are clip-ons it's a headband to turn them into effective Porta-Pros.