Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Series X units might be coming to Western/Northern Europe in mid-November now... but whatever, they keep pushing those dates back, who the heck knows. Microsoft could go the whole holiday period without managing to ship any substantial stock to these territories.

Plenty of Series S on shelves, as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

ErrEff posted:

. Microsoft could go the whole holiday period without managing to ship any substantial stock to these territories.

Sony are going for their second!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Capture the Flag in Halo Infinite is very fun!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

bushisms.txt posted:

It's the comfort food of shooters. Halo has never been the best at anything other than being able to get people together easily to play the game via lan and online.

That's been surpassed for over a decade now? I don't want to poo poo on anyone but I'm wondering what Halo now offers above and beyond any other first person shooter.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Friends

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

That's been surpassed for over a decade now? I don't want to poo poo on anyone but I'm wondering what Halo now offers above and beyond any other first person shooter.

It's not a Battle Royale or straight up military propaganda, so it has some advantages.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's not a Battle Royale or straight up military propaganda, so it has some advantages.

Any game where u play as soldiers, even fake future soldiers, is military propaganda

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Going to leave my GT here: S1Nx81

Have Halo MCC, Rainbow 6 Siege and COD:Warzone installed right now. If you play any of these add me please :)

mfny fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 26, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The verge keeps running articles begging for an xbox branded surface laptop and i dont get it. A laptop already has xbox on it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

WattsvilleBlues posted:

One of the main things is the longer time to kill compared to COD which is essentially glorified hide and seek. Halo also has a variety of power weapons scattered around the map like classic FPS games of old (UT & Q3A) which is something other modern shooters (aside from Gears of War) lack because they focus on loadouts instead. Halo also has the wonderful physics, vehicles, equipment and highly refined sandbox that other first person shooters lack. There's really nothing like Halo out there, compared to COD and BF etc. which all essentially blur into the same game.

Halo is also a game that you're either indifferent to or absolutely love. It just doesn't jive for some people and that's no biggie, but for those who enjoy it? It's a ridiculously fun game that stands out from other FPS games due to how unique it feels to play - there's just nothing else out there like it.

Barudak posted:

Gears 5 is a game good enough that I would like a sequel where they just finish cutting the fat off and make the game it wants to be, but uninspiring enough I'd rather the team develop pretty much anything else first instead.

I'd really like them to go the Halo route and separate multiplayer from singleplayer and make the former free to play and built to last the generation.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Isn't Splitgate just Halo with portals?

It's clearly still a popular way to run an FPS, even if they didn't deliver on the last few.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Isn't Splitgate just Halo with portals?

It's clearly still a popular way to run an FPS, even if they didn't deliver on the last few.

5 is under appreciated, but it was muddied up by some sort of consumable card perk thing. I can't remember the specifics of it, but it soured the game to me. Either way 5 was an improvement over 4. Hopefully infinite will be even better still, and the pvp is looking like that's possible.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Is it like life where it's DLC?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Pay2Win

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
How long is the control ultimate edition dlc? I finished the base game on PS4 but never bought the expansion stuff. I was thinking of getting it on series while it’s on sale

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How long is the control ultimate edition dlc? I finished the base game on PS4 but never bought the expansion stuff. I was thinking of getting it on series while it’s on sale

4-6 hours for each of the 2 expansions, maybe quicker if you burn through. I thought they were both underwhelming personally.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

WattsvilleBlues posted:

20 years of Halo nostalgia

People still like it, believe it or not!!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Grapple hooks.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm wondering if there are some games are more likely to crash thanks to quick resume.

Like, there are definitely games with memory leaks or whatever that will get bad without a regular shutoff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Diablo 2 forgets your save files if you use rest mode on ps5 and you gotta relaunch the app for them to appear again so anything is possible

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Skyrim with mods was one I had to regularly quit out of

Final Fantasy X as well would start to stutter after a while on quick resume

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

I'm wondering if there are some games are more likely to crash thanks to quick resume.

Like, there are definitely games with memory leaks or whatever that will get bad without a regular shutoff.
It's worked flawlessly for me save for a few games that require constant internet connectivity (Outriders, Knockout City) and has even worked well with games that have constant online in the background (Hitman, MGSV).

Booting up THPS for the first time since May and having it be in the exact menu from when I left it is a strange kind of magic.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Assassins creed Valhalla has a problem (that still hasn’t been fixed fully) where quick resuming causes the game to fail to reconnect to Ubisoft’s cloud saves. If you keep playing after that, all of your offline progress gets overwritten with your previous online save the next time the game restarts and connects online.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

American McGay posted:

It's worked flawlessly for me save for a few games that require constant internet connectivity (Outriders, Knockout City) and has even worked well with games that have constant online in the background (Hitman, MGSV).

Booting up THPS for the first time since May and having it be in the exact menu from when I left it is a strange kind of magic.

I was impressed the first time I unplugged the xbox, carried it to another room and then resumed right where I left off in Yakuza.

I think quick resume is less buggy in general now, too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Im yet to play with my friends in Infinites tech beta but Halo of old was all about team shooting and map control (both power weapon locations and the sight lines.)

You can still be a powerhouse and carry a team on your own but its not like cod where you get a kill streak going and then call in extra support to keep pumping free kills. you have to control the map to stop your enemy getting the sniper/rockets/overshield/sword etc

Its a cool setting and a nice change from the 'generic middle eastern looking drone striked town' or whatever.

the Grapple hook really opens up movement well without being bullshit.

no loadouts is good because everyone is on an equal playing field weapon wise. There is a lot less likelihood of some gun breaking the stats with weird attachment glitches or something stupid like COD had.

The aim assist in Halo is much lower too so you cant get away with spray and pray unless you have a good handle on recoil management.

I really enjoyed MW2019 but Halo is refreshing to play in 2021. Only negatives I have is that all the regular weapons are in little closets on the walls and every wall is covered in art/assets that looks similar so you have to learn the correct ones, and letting players choose their armour colour from a wide range but then playing team games as red vs blue. so you can be red playing for the blue team. its a minor thing but its very dumb. previously you set your primary/secondary colours, and if you played FFA games you'd be that colour, but if you played team games you would be either red or blue and your secondary colour/accents would apply to the team colour. instead they just put a blue/red overlay over teammates/enemies (making your chosen colour harder to see anyway)

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The remastered mass effect trilogy doesn’t always do well with quick resume either

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
When I played Prey recently it had a lot of issues with quick resume. It would sometimes start with no audio, or stop taking controller inputs.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Quantum of Phallus posted:

When I played Prey recently it had a lot of issues with quick resume. It would sometimes start with no audio, or stop taking controller inputs.

I played a game recently (I forget which game this was - maybe psychonauts 2?) where half the time after quick resume it would ignore controller inputs until I yanked the battery out of the controller and reconnected it - after which it would magically work again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Far cry 5 and new dawn both have a memory leak or something when you view the map for too long with FPS boost enabled.

Starts at 60fps and, after leaving it on that screen long enough, will be come 1fps. Most notably if you suspend the game in quick resume and come back to it after an hour or so.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

mfny posted:

So after using it more I have noticed my Series S while being whisper quiet a lot of the time sometimes decides to make a clicking/tapping noise from the fan area. For reference it sounds like the noise you sometimes get from a PC case fan when it is spinning at a very low RPM.

Can hear it at times from up to a few feet away from the fan side of the console when I am seated at desk in a quiet room with no game audio active, the console being placed vertically on the right hand side of me on the desk, the noise seems to disappear when console is placed horizontally however.

Anyone else with a Series S have any experience of this at all ?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

mfny posted:

Anyone else with a Series S have any experience of this at all ?
Not me. I keep mine horizontal, though.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Akuma posted:

Not me. I keep mine horizontal, though.

Horizontal and same.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Asnorban posted:

It’s me. I *love* the low frame rate animation for the main character in Sable, and I wish more games would play around with stuff like that. Sable has “a game made exactly for me” written all over it, but I can’t put up with all the microstutters. It runs worse than the preview build over the summer. Normally stuff like that doesn’t bother me too much, but in a game built around relaxing and exploring it pulls me out more than it would in other games. Hopefully it gets a patch soon.

Yeah i love love love the animations, like the way you check the compass while running, so expressive. It really needs a patch though, it's a mess on the XboneX and takes away from a real nice take on BotW.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I just got the astral projection power in Psychonaughts 2 and it is the greatest thing. Tim Schaffer deserves all the rewards for this.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Anyone else tested the Xcloud for pc?

I tried it today and I can't get it to work properly.
Xbox app connects to my XSX perfectly fine, but framerates are bad.
1 frame per second on menus level of bad.
I tried to start Psychonauts 2 and Trials rising and you couldn't even identify what game I was 'playing',
unless I paused the game to let it settle down with one screen.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

ErrEff posted:

Series X units might be coming to Western/Northern Europe in mid-November now... but whatever, they keep pushing those dates back, who the heck knows. Microsoft could go the whole holiday period without managing to ship any substantial stock to these territories.

Plenty of Series S on shelves, as usual.

Gamestop has had xbonx sries x in stock for several days if you buy the $35/month bundle that includes console and 24 months of gamepass ultimate, which actually isn't that bad of a deal, if you're already paying monthly for gamepass (as opposed to 12 months).

Real hurthling! posted:

Diablo 2 forgets your save files if you use rest mode on ps5 and you gotta relaunch the app for them to appear again so anything is possible

To be fair, it has done this to me on PC several times.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rocket league is fun but gently caress the menus are terrible.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Series S has never not been in stock over here ever since launch.

Personally I fail to see the target customer for sS but Microsoft is smarter than me I guess.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

Series S has never not been in stock over here ever since launch.

Personally I fail to see the target customer for sS but Microsoft is smarter than me I guess.
IIRC they believed the Series S would sell more than the Series X because of the lower price. Doesn't seem to have worked out that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

The Kins posted:

IIRC they believed the Series S would sell more than the Series X because of the lower price. Doesn't seem to have worked out that way.

I think the quote from Phil Spencer was that it would outsell the Series X over the course of the entire generation. I doubt it, as I'm not expecting significant price cuts on either model, but it's too early to say.