Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
That lady is obviously a psychopath for wanting to go to a festival while covid positive. But also gently caress any event organizer that won't offer refunds these days to people who test positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Tagra posted:

If they trace an outbreak back to her there better be attempted manslaughter charges.

I dont think this is a thing. Like it could be a thing since regressives were not able to get immunity for their biz overlords wrt to covid stuff, but scummy lawyers had almost 2 years to get their prep work done and there's no tv or radio commercials saying "sue your boss or X for giving you covid."

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Platystemon posted:

JFC the vaccine has not killed fifty thousand Americans.

how many then? it's not zero and it's not like there's reliable data about that being recorded anywhere

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A second flu has hit the ICU

https://www.axios.com/a-second-flu-ddd382aa-366f-4837-b618-098dda9950b5.html?utm_campaign=organic

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Tagra posted:

If they trace an outbreak back to her there better be attempted manslaughter charges.

Meanwhile, in Canadaland, my friend was "served" a 6 page "notice of liability" from one of his employees (blue collar construction work) that looks like it was pulled straight off this "Action4Canada" site. The form basically says "if you force me to take a vaccine I will sue you" and he was like "Okay." (and refused to sign it, of course). We spent a few minutes browsing around the Action4Canada site. That poo poo is wild...

https://twitter.com/nowtoronto/status/1441884841885245454

Yeah we have a hundred or so January 6th wannabes "invading" shopping malls for having pop up vaccine clinics in the heart of Toronto. Things are going great up here.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=056CH-xC35U

The same mall where this happened lol

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Platystemon posted:

JFC the vaccine has not killed fifty thousand Americans.

120k if we're going by doses.

g0lbez posted:

how many then? it's not zero and it's not like there's reliable data about that being recorded anywhere

Lol, deaths following vaccination is one of the few things we do follow closely. Every death or serious adverse event following a vaccination is required to be reported to the CDC through their Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, and they request that all events temporally associated with vaccination be reported (not just those that the hcw thinks might be directly caused by the vax). As of September 20th, there were 7.9k reported deaths associated with COVID vaccination and nearly all of those will simply be coincidences rather than caused by the vaccine (because we vaccinated a shitload of people).

The CDC, FDA, and pharmaceutical companies closely monitor VAERS to looks for adverse events that rise above the background level. That's what happened with the J&J and thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome.

quote:

If hospitalizations remain high over time, we have two basic options: to keep changing our behavior based on risk level, like we have been for the last year and a half, or to bolster hospital capacity.

The latter is "a mark of tragedy, not a mark of victory," Emanuel said.

Emanuel gets it.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 26, 2021

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
So per the cdc list of people eligible:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

When I go to underlying medical conditions:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

One condition they list:

Overweight (defined as a body mass index (BMI) > 25 kg/m2 but < 30 kg/m2), obesity (BMI ≥30 kg/m2 but < 40 kg/m2), or severe obesity (BMI of ≥40 kg/m2), can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19. The risk of severe COVID-19 illness increases sharply with elevated BMI.

All I need to be is overweight and I qualify to get boosted?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

n8r posted:

Yeah, but it’s a coin flip whether you get a pharmacist who is a dick and decides they know more than the CDC and that being overweight isn’t a good reason to get boosted, or whether you get a pharmacist who’s an angel and just wants to get shots in arms.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/VPS_Reports/status/1441901911079149569?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheActivatedPod/status/1440002826097225733?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheActivatedPod/status/1440004106303668226?s=20

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 26, 2021

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

A less charitable analysis says "The FDA has been hard at work for decades ensuring people die or twist their lives into knots from a lack of access to medicine."

Lol what is this conspiracy theory horseshit?

WordPress blog eh? Great.

After reading "there. is. a. war." for the third time in the first page I scanned down realized it was 500k words and tldr fuckman.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 26, 2021

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Stickman posted:

120k if we're going by doses.

Lol, deaths following vaccination is one of the few things we do follow closely. Every death or serious adverse event following a vaccination is required to be reported to the CDC through their Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System, and they request that all events temporally associated with vaccination be reported (not just those that the hcw thinks might be directly caused by the vax). As of September 20th, there were 7.9k reported deaths associated with COVID vaccination and nearly all of those will simply be coincidences rather than caused by the vaccine (because we vaccinated a shitload of people).

The CDC, FDA, and pharmaceutical companies closely monitor VAERS to looks for adverse events that rise above the background level. That's what happened with the J&J and thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome.

Emanuel gets it.

edit: misread stickman's post, my bad

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

King Vidiot posted:

I can't imagine what their motivation could be though. They're loving swimming in vaccine doses they can't even give away to dumbass chuds, so it's not a lack of supply. And we know they're not going to donate any or at least most of it to other countries.

I reckon a big part of it will be how it is being perceived overseas. A lot of countries can’t get their hands on enough vaccine and the US declaring open slather on booster shots with marginal (compared to the initial vaccination) benefits might not be great for their reputation. With the geopolitical rivalry with China I think the image of the US abroad is something they’re taking reasonably seriously.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gay picnic defence posted:

I reckon a big part of it will be how it is being perceived overseas. A lot of countries can’t get their hands on enough vaccine and the US declaring open slather on booster shots with marginal (compared to the initial vaccination) benefits might not be great for their reputation. With the geopolitical rivalry with China I think the image of the US abroad is something they’re taking reasonably seriously.

Dang.

I was told that the FDA was free of political concerns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Japan is offering to gently caress me up on more vaccines in like december so yeah, keep sending em overseas, Alabama

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

n8r posted:

So per the cdc list of people eligible:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html

When I go to underlying medical conditions:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

One condition they list:

Overweight (defined as a body mass index (BMI) > 25 kg/m2 but < 30 kg/m2), obesity (BMI ≥30 kg/m2 but < 40 kg/m2), or severe obesity (BMI of ≥40 kg/m2), can make you more likely to get severely ill from COVID-19. The risk of severe COVID-19 illness increases sharply with elevated BMI.

I should meet criteria for various reasons, but since I got Moderna I'm sitting on my hands for now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

g0lbez posted:

It's incredibly rare, there's only a tiny number of confirmed cases. I posted a link to an article earlier in the thread about a handful of confirmed deaths in Norway.

I think one of the big hangups around making this choice is that a lot of people are terrible at making personal risk analysis calculations, especially if they have to choose between "a lovely thing I have to do immediately which is proven to help avoid a significant future problem, but will suck and might even have adverse effects" and "just ignoring a problem which has a fairly high chance of loving me up really bad sometime in the future, but also might never happen if I'm lucky." It also really doesn't help that social media is full of people saying poo poo like "I got it and shook it off, it's just the flu", "I don't even need a vaccine, I have a strong immune system!", posting bullshit videos of people allegedly wracked with spasms after their shots, etc etc.

And that's even before we get to shitlords like Tucker Carlson and Alex Jones and Clive Palmer in Australia just straight out lying about vaccine deaths

Edit: a further complication is that we've got people following the Great Barrington Declaration model of "learning to live with the virus" because "it's endemic now" who are really pushing the whole 'natural immunity' thing really hard, which leads to people doing incredibly dumb stuff like hosting Covid Parties instead of getting vaxxed

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Remember all those jokes about people holding covid parties so they could 'strengthen' their 'natural immunity'? Welp

https://twitter.com/CityNewsYEG/status/1440834817159884807

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 26, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"Personal risk calculation" is the act of picking one media source to believe over another as part of the culture war in america. Like, I watch Fox news and I've calculated that masks aren't worth the risk, or I follow Eric Ding and I calculated that I need to order groceries online.

It's not a calculation, it's telling someone that they're wrong because I can just feel it in my gut. The underlying mechanism is our relationship with a lovely media landscape replacing actual facts, which is fairness don't exist yet because a pandemic moves faster than consensus.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Stuff like this sure doesn't help either:
https://twitter.com/JamesSurowiecki/status/1441804956399378445
https://twitter.com/JamesSurowiecki/status/1441821397995560964

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Another Bill posted:

Yeah we have a hundred or so January 6th wannabes "invading" shopping malls for having pop up vaccine clinics in the heart of Toronto. Things are going great up here.

They stormed a school in BC.

Did we post this one here yet?
https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/09/bc-anti-vaxxers-excited-to-see-what-the-inside-of-a-school-looks-like/

The Beaverton has been knocking it out of the park this whole pandemic :allears:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

That lady is obviously a psychopath for wanting to go to a festival while covid positive. But also gently caress any event organizer that won't offer refunds these days to people who test positive.

no, she's the new normal the "it's endemic" people are.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Too many cooks authors spoil the vac.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Remember all those jokes about people holding covid parties so they could 'strengthen' their 'natural immunity'? Welp

https://twitter.com/CityNewsYEG/status/1440834817159884807

This news story is pretty well done I gotta say. I think everyone would be much better off if their news sources was like this. Get out the facts, don't sensationalize. Get a doctor on talking about delta and why the goal post moved because of it on herd immunity. Show a dumb celebrity that chuds like who has changed their tune after clearing up the facts.

Purgatory Glory fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2021

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Purgatory Glory posted:

This news story is pretty well done I gotta say. I think everyone would be much better off if their news sources was like this. Get out the facts, don't sensationalize. Get a doctor on talking about delta and why the goal post moved because of it on herd immunity. Show a dumb celebrity that chuds like who has changed their tune after clearing up the facts.

Yeah Canadian news tends to be a lot less nuts than many places.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Purgatory Glory posted:

Those same people are also the same people who said:
It's not real
It's just the flu
Masks don't work
Masks harm you
Vaccines harm you
Vaccines don't work
Send your prayers
We set up a GoFundMe

You missed two.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Lovelyn posted:

They just keep dying.

I may be a new nurse, but this is something I never imagined I'd be seeing. Before, covid, and even with the previous waves, we would work hard and some people would get better. Now we work hard and almost nobody gets better. I can think of a literal handful of patients that I've downgraded or discharged.

I’m consoling grown men every week. Tears running down their faces, terrified that they will never see their families again, worried about how said families will get by without their paycheck. At first I was optimistic about their outcome. But now I realize they are actually right. They aren't going to see their family again.

And they just keep dying. Husband on one side of the unit, wife on the other. They die.

Father in one room and son in the next. They die.

And they don't die peacefully or quickly. They might start out being able to hold a conversation, but eventually that gets too hard and they get winded. Then they can't tolerate just the high flow anymore and need Bi-PAP off and on, until it's always on. I watch as their mouths dry, crack, and bleed as they starve because they're so air hungry they can't tolerate taking it off long enough for even a few sips of a protein shake.

And then, eventually, the Bi-PAP isn't enough and we need to intubate. If they're lucky, the MD will get it first try without breaking any teeth. And then I'm paid to torture them for weeks/months. I stick a urinary catheter up their urethra. I'm nice and use lidocaine. Not everyone does.

I shove a suction catheter down their breathing tube and suck the phlegm (and air) out of their lungs and they feel like they're choking and suffocating. I turn them from side to side, often crudely because there is no other way, in the hopes that they don't get a pressure ulcer. I open up their eyelids and shining a bright light at their pupils every 4 hours. I give them suppositories and then wipe them down after they've sat in their poop for up to an hour if I'm busy keeping my other patient alive. If they code, we pound on their chest and break their ribs, pump them full of drugs to jolt them back to life, shock them. If they survive that, they usually don't live very long.

They die. They all die.

Grim reading in C-SPAM

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Jesus.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

Salt Fish posted:

"Personal risk calculation" is the act of picking one media source to believe over another as part of the culture war in america. Like, I watch Fox news and I've calculated that masks aren't worth the risk, or I follow Eric Ding and I calculated that I need to order groceries online.

It's not a calculation, it's telling someone that they're wrong because I can just feel it in my gut. The underlying mechanism is our relationship with a lovely media landscape replacing actual facts, which is fairness don't exist yet because a pandemic moves faster than consensus.

I definitely agree with this, but another huge factor for a lot of people in this group is religion. For them, a gut feeling isn't just a gut feeling, it's a prompt from The Almighty, and how could you go against that?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Today I learned that somewhere between 5 and 15% of people have a fear of needles. That's a shockingly high number. I suspect this has a lot to do with vaccine hesitancy; people often channel specific phobias into "reasoned" arguments that just so happen to support their fears.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Make Measels and Mumps Great Again

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1441071490489856002?s=19

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

ShadowHawk posted:

Today I learned that somewhere between 5 and 15% of people have a fear of needles. That's a shockingly high number. I suspect this has a lot to do with vaccine hesitancy; people often channel specific phobias into "reasoned" arguments that just so happen to support their fears.

I have a fear of needles but had work vaccine and blood testing mandates long before covid and you just kind of deal

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

ShadowHawk posted:

It's way, way higher than that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I had needle phobia well into adulthood, and I tried to swing a rotating fan at a nurse for a heb b shot when I was 11.

But I was a super sick kid and developed that phobia due to the near constant blood draws, immunizations, and boosters I had to endure as a kiddo.

But I moved to injectable estrogen early in my HRT and poking myself once a week is nothing to me now.

I feel like every flu shot i've ever had, and my covid shot, were both like jabbed into the muscle in a way that was pointlessly painful and I can see it ramping up people's needle phobia to think about that sort of thing.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1442272859347308545

I've seen enough of these posts to know that Ben Garrison is dead by the end of next month

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pinecone Sample posted:

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1442272859347308545

I've seen enough of these posts to know that Ben Garrison is dead by the end of next month

sometimes they recover. sometimes they 'recover' then suddenly collapse and are dead in a few days.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ben Garrison will live because it will result in even more incredible cartoons

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Riot Bimbo posted:

I feel like every flu shot i've ever had, and my covid shot, were both like jabbed into the muscle in a way that was pointlessly painful and I can see it ramping up people's needle phobia to think about that sort of thing.

I think it's bc with vaccinations your body reacts like hell to the vaccine itself, too, bc of how immune responses work, so you tend to get a lot of injection site soreness.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

poll plane variant posted:

I think it's bc with vaccinations your body reacts like hell to the vaccine itself, too, bc of how immune responses work, so you tend to get a lot of injection site soreness.

No, with intramuscular shots, it's primarily a matter of how fast they push, it's a little bit precision and angle, I think, too. You can help yourself to some extent by being fully relaxed and letting the socket support the weight of your arm, not any muscle.

My first shot, they didn't even tell me it was going in, and it felt like a torn rotator cuff for two days. Second shot, I was ready for it, and had no pain.

I had a conversation about this with a doctor recently, who said something to the effect of, "of course it's easy to do it right, but guess who never got graded on their bedside manner?"

Flu shot at a chain pharmacy, I could feel how hard the tech was pushing and I knew it was going to be a pain for a few days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pinecone Sample posted:

I had a conversation about this with a doctor recently, who said something to the effect of, "of course it's easy to do it right, but guess who never got graded on their bedside manner?"

We should have dentists give shots because at least for them it sometimes helps to be gentle and get repeat customers. That’s never a concern for pharmacists or nurses.