Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
It's not legacy but my favorite 'holy crap this game is ridiculous sometimes' deck is legacy oops all spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NotNut posted:

I wanted to make a powerful vintage deck of proxies to show my casual friends how ridiculous the game can get. So I looked at some of the vintage meta for ideas, but they're evolved specifically to counter other vintage meta decks, whereas I want something more general. Does anyone have recommendations for cards and combos to use in a vintage red/white/blue for playing against any possible opponent?

Any belcher variant should work. By which I mean any deck that wins on t1 and only loses when you ask your opponent if they have a force of will
Or just build legacy deliver but with mox and lotus

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
An example of the kind of card I'm looking for is Mana Drain, since it's apparently not used much in legacy meta due to the counters there needing to be 1 or 0 mana cost, but is earth-shattering against other formats

HootTheOwl posted:

Any belcher variant should work. By which I mean any deck that wins on t1 and only loses when you ask your opponent if they have a force of will
Or just build legacy deliver but with mox and lotus

How does delver work?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

NotNut posted:

An example of the kind of card I'm looking for is Mana Drain, since it's apparently not used much in legacy meta due to the counters there needing to be 1 or 0 mana cost, but is earth-shattering against other formats

To be clear, Mana Drain isn't used in Legacy because it's been banned for almost 20 years.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

NotNut posted:

I wanted to make a powerful vintage deck of proxies to show my casual friends how ridiculous the game can get. So I looked at some of the vintage meta for ideas, but they're evolved specifically to counter other vintage meta decks, whereas I want something more general. Does anyone have recommendations for cards and combos to use in a vintage red/white/blue for playing against any possible opponent?

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=32357&d=448854&f=VI

Bazaar aggro has your back, with a creature base worth $100 backed by a manabase worth $40000

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NotNut posted:

Jeskai Xerox is a good one. It plays a lot of one-ofs and restricted cards, so you can ludicrously blow out your opponents in a variety of ways. To play with friends, you should cut the maindeck Pyroblasts for another Ragavan and more removal.

I recommend buying two proxy decks so your opponents can try playing Vintage as well.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I mean if you want to show 'true vintage power' without all the ways the vintage metagame has shaped decks just build storm. Then draw an opening hand and realize you don't have the first idea of how to play storm.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

disaster pastor posted:

To be clear, Mana Drain isn't used in Legacy because it's been banned for almost 20 years.

I can absolutely understand why "Counterspell with significant upside" is very loving good, but I'm actually a little surprised it's "banned in legacy" good. Is the text just that strong, or is there some busted interaction where you're "countering" your own can't be countered spells to generate a ton of mana or something?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

goferchan posted:

I can absolutely understand why "Counterspell with significant upside" is very loving good, but I'm actually a little surprised it's "banned in legacy" good. Is the text just that strong, or is there some busted interaction where you're "countering" your own can't be countered spells to generate a ton of mana or something?

It was banned in 2004 when the Legacy ban list was disconnected from the Vintage restricted list. Blue has always been good in Legacy, so they've never felt a need to make it stronger by letting them have Mana Drain. The list of cards they banned in 2004 is:

Bazaar of Baghdad, Goblin Recruiter, Hermit Druid, Illusionary Mask, Land Tax, Mana Drain, Metalworker, Mishra's Workshop, Oath of Druids, Replenish, Skullclamp, and Worldgorger Dragon

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I would play some version of vintage storm. I build a deck back in the day called "the perfect storm" and goldfishing it can win in one turn often enough.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

goferchan posted:

Even the simplest situation, you counter their 2 drop on your turn and then take your turn 5, or make a 3 drop while keeping up counterspell mana is backbreaking.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

At the time, Mana Drain decks played creatures like Morphling or Psychatog. In the early game, they'd use Mana Drain's extra mana to cast something like Fact or Fiction or Cunning Wish to gain card advantage.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NotNut posted:

I'm not a vintage guy but legacy madness is pretty explosive. I'm sure there's a vintage variant that exists somewhere

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Dreqqus posted:

It's not legacy but my favorite 'holy crap this game is ridiculous sometimes' deck is legacy oops all spells.

Someone, Chamale I think, described that deck as the deck you pull out against "someone who claims their deck is unbeatable but does not know what a sideboard is."

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Chamale posted:

Jeskai Xerox is a good one. It plays a lot of one-ofs and restricted cards, so you can ludicrously blow out your opponents in a variety of ways. To play with friends, you should cut the maindeck Pyroblasts for another Ragavan and more removal.

I recommend buying two proxy decks so your opponents can try playing Vintage as well.

Yeah, I might make another too. Thanks for the recommendation. How does copying the cards work when they use green or black mana? I'm guessing it has something to do with Misty Rainforest or Polluted Delta but you don't have a Swamp or Forest in your deck for them to find.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Abhorrence posted:

Someone, Chamale I think, described that deck as the deck you pull out against "someone who claims their deck is unbeatable but does not know what a sideboard is."

I wasn't the one who said that, but I like it. I remember when we developed the deck in this thread back in 2013, that was a fun time.

The kids these days with their Thassa's Oracle don't know how good they have it - I remember when the win condition was The Mimeoplasm, Triskelion, and Lord of Extinction.

NotNut posted:

Yeah, I might make another too. Thanks for the recommendation. How does copying the cards work when they use green or black mana? I'm guessing it has something to do with Misty Rainforest or Polluted Delta but you don't have a Swamp or Forest in your deck for them to find.

Ragavan makes a Treasure token, which can be sacrificed for one mana of any colour.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NotNut posted:

How does delver work?
Rragavan, Delver, a thousand cantrips, and wasteland stifle daze to prevent them from getting any counterplay online

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Chamale posted:

I wasn't the one who said that, but I like it. I remember when we developed the deck in this thread back in 2013, that was a fun time.

The kids these days with their Thassa's Oracle don't know how good they have it - I remember when the win condition was The Mimeoplasm, Triskelion, and Lord of Extinction.

Ragavan makes a Treasure token, which can be sacrificed for one mana of any colour.

Oh right. So what exactly are the Misty Rainforest and Polluted Delta for then?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Chamale posted:

Don't forget Giant Solifuge out of the sideboard to beat people who boarded in Leyline of sanctity!

Yeah I remember you did a lot of the legwork on that deck, probably why I misremembered that way. And yeah, Oracle would have made things much simpler if it was around back then. Wasn't there an alt win con of Angel of Glory's Rise, Azami, and Lab Man, too?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Abhorrence posted:

Yeah I remember you did a lot of the legwork on that deck, probably why I misremembered that way. And yeah, Oracle would have made things much simpler if it was around back then. Wasn't there an alt win con of Angel of Glory's Rise, Azami, and Lab Man, too?

I think there was also briefly an Underworld Cerberus version that used a bunch of Elvish/Simian Spirit Guides and a Wild Cantor to cast Laboratory Maniac, then cycled Street Wraith for the win. God, the things people used to do to combo kill...

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

NotNut posted:

ragavan says "cast" not play, so no lands allowed

you use misty/delta to get an island (and if that island is a dual land it can make your other colors). most vintage decks run blue based only duals so the exact fetchland isn't important as long as it'll get an island

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Gonna stream some Standard constructed (and maybe draft MID) in a bit if any of you folks want to hang out again! Edit: Done for now—thanks for stopping by!

I'm gonna be playing the list below, which is a more tuned version of that cat-circle list I posted before, only I have cut my favorite child Glorious Protector. GloPro is cheap and does powerful/cool stuff (especially with Circle), but it can't block dragons and dies to more removal than I'd like—which sucks, because it has the new "until this leaves play" wording, so if it dies before resolution there's no blink.

Now I'm running Burning-Rune Demon: the format is slow enough for it, it's beefy, it gets value regardless of the board state, and it lets you design fun two-card choice packages. I went with Nullpriest + Legion Angel/Liesa. It's been helpful to have a recursion loop that doesn't depend on circle, and the additional untapped fliers make Alrund's Epiphany much less scary.

rinski fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 26, 2021

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NotNut posted:

To fetch a dual land and get whatever colour of mana you need. Also, you can cast Brainstorm, put two undesired cards on top of your library, and then crack a fetch to shuffle.

Sit on my Jace posted:

I think there was also briefly an Underworld Cerberus version that used a bunch of Elvish/Simian Spirit Guides and a Wild Cantor to cast Laboratory Maniac, then cycled Street Wraith for the win. God, the things people used to do to combo kill...

The Yup. And one of the first two-card kills it got was reanimating Goblin Dark-Dwellers to cast Haunting Misery.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

NotNut posted:

Over time it's been proven that fetches +brainstorm is basically the most powerful thing a deck can do.
In vintage you only get one copy of ancestral, but the card selection of 4 ponder 4 brainstorm + fetch means you'll always have exactly what you need when you need it and always just enough lands.
A few pages back in the old thread that's how P Sully chided historic for having brainstorm.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

HootTheOwl posted:

Over time it's been proven that fetches +brainstorm is basically the most powerful thing a deck can do.
In vintage you only get one copy of ancestral, but the card selection of 4 ponder 4 brainstorm + fetch means you'll always have exactly what you need when you need it and always just enough lands.
A few pages back in the old thread that's how P Sully chided historic for having brainstorm.

You only get one brainstorm and one ponder in vintage, they're restricted too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://youtu.be/7d9-HRLBLrI

I love alternate win conditions

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cactrot posted:

You only get one brainstorm and one ponder in vintage, they're restricted too.
That's good, and also lol that vintage has more sense than legacy

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Here's what I've got so far

So it's about casting a lot of spells, and stealing stuff with Ragavan and Dack. Thinking of adding cyclonic rifts as more removal and synergy with Dack. Oh and Time Vault and Voltaic Key are just kind of there to show a stupid combo.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I should also disclaim that I really don't know what I'm doing with decks. I played Vintage casually like ten years ago and have just recently gotten back into Magic

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
Some sort of mana-less dredge would be a good contender as well i think. Just break the fundamental rules of the game!

https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Magic/Insight/Articles/The-Finest-Vintage-Dredge

Dunno if the lists in this article are any good, but it does go pretty in depth on the cards and strategy

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

NotNut posted:

Here's what I've got so far

So it's about casting a lot of spells, and stealing stuff with Ragavan and Dack. Thinking of adding cyclonic rifts as more removal and synergy with Dack. Oh and Time Vault and Voltaic Key are just kind of there to show a stupid combo.

Vault-Key doesn't work in a WUR deck, you want it in a deck like Paradoxical Outcome that can play Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, and Tinker. It's really hard to play that deck, though. A good second deck might be Golos Stax. Vintage Dredge is one of the craziest and highest-power decks in existence, but you don't have balanced games with it ever - it's 90% to win Game 1, and then it has to try to win game 2 or 3 against a sideboard.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Chamale posted:

Vault-Key doesn't work in a WUR deck, you want it in a deck like Paradoxical Outcome that can play Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, and Tinker. It's really hard to play that deck, though. A good second deck might be Golos Stax. Vintage Dredge is one of the craziest and highest-power decks in existence, but you don't have balanced games with it ever - it's 90% to win Game 1, and then it has to try to win game 2 or 3 against a sideboard.

Can't you just get the vault and key with the draw stuff and the enlightened tutors? Especially playing them from the graveyard with the horde guy

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

NotNut posted:

Can't you just get the vault and key with the draw stuff and the enlightened tutors? Especially playing them from the graveyard with the horde guy

its not worthwhile to go in on a 2 card combo when you only have 4 ways to find those cards. also, is top still allowed in vintage? do people do top nonsense still?

e: here's an example of a vault key deck:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4311472#paper

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 26, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Your decks in Vintage are Dredge, Shops, Fast Combo, and Control. (Control being the "all the good blue cards, plus some other stuff to win the game" decks, where the "other stuff" can vary quite widely).

A turn 1 Trinisphere (or even just a Sphere of Resistance) from Shops is one of the big "welcome to Vintage" moments you can show them.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

A big flaming stink posted:

its not worthwhile to go in on a 2 card combo when you only have 4 ways to find those cards. also, is top still allowed in vintage? do people do top nonsense still?

e: here's an example of a vault key deck:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4311472#paper

Uh, what's Top? And thanks

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Are any of you wizards at searching with Scryfall?

I want to update my Morophon tribal commander deck. How do I create a search that looks for cards with ANY tribal type and filter it to the last couple years of set releases. I'm looking for new cards that work like Rooftop Storm or Crux of Fate.

I already found all the new changelings using this search.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

NotNut posted:

Uh, what's Top? And thanks

It's a bullshit card that grinds games to a halt because every loving turn you can spin the top and spend five minutes deciding what the best course of action is

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Spin top. Fetch. Spin top.
And if you respond to any of that: spin top again.
Also you can't destroy it because: response, tap top hold priority spin top.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

HootTheOwl posted:

Also you can't destroy it because
[laughs in Krosan Grip]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Kjermzs posted:

Are any of you wizards at searching with Scryfall?

I want to update my Morophon tribal commander deck. How do I create a search that looks for cards with ANY tribal type and filter it to the last couple years of set releases. I'm looking for new cards that work like Rooftop Storm or Crux of Fate.

I already found all the new changelings using this search.

volunteers have tagged tribal cards using oracletag:tribal but it seems like sets from the last two years haven't been tagged.