Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
10 years from now, hopefully, covid will just be another nuisance illness that is as dangerous, truly this time, as the flu. It seems quite clear to me that eradication is impossible, so we are left with learning to live with it, with the enormous advantage of our incredible vaccination technology. I'm certainly not happy about it, but I'm not happy about inevitable climate catastrophes either and that's just the world we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Movies as mostly garbage and bad and can be enjoyed at home. Why do people still go to an arguably worse experience? At home you can pause and not hear other assholes. In a group setting you can talk as loud as you want with those close to you. And it’s a lot cheaper.

I hate going to the movies; the last I saw was Sorry to Bother You. People still have all kinds of reasons they feel are good reasons to go to the movies. Some of these may be obscure to people who live in suburban America with enough to be comfortable.

From a technical point of view: bad, small speakers and bad, small monitors are likely at home. You may also be unable to turn it up too loud without annoying other people at home or neighbors. A movie theater looks and sounds much better.

You may be so fortunate as to experience fewer distractions at home, but in large households, interruptions are much more likely to be distracting — people needing things, animals needing things, noise from construction, noise from neighbors… other people wanting to use the TV or play music…or cook.

I get the sentiment but it sounds like you have a pretty cush life if you cannot imagine how a theater might be preferable for enjoying movies, generally speaking. That’s without even getting into the social and cultural significance of “the movies” and going to them.

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 26, 2021

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think a lot of you are missing the social aspects of restaurants, etc...

Not everyone has a giant rear end backyard or big dining room. Cooking aside if I want to have a nice social dinner with more than four people my options are restaurant or nothing because I can't fit more than four in my apartment. (this is more about the death to restaurants forever comments, not the feasibility during the pandemic, etc...).

Same for movies. I'm not going to go right now to a theater but you better believe I'm going once the pandemic is over because going to see a big dumb movie with a big group of friends is a blast.

In a lot of cultures, restaurants as we know them (i.e sit down and are waited on) are explicitly for events and such. Everything else in lunch oriented (meaning you cant get home to cook)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

If anybody remembers this very normal incident, well he returned to the hospital the following day after this because he couldn't breathe and today he passed.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1442089184206934016?s=20

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

A lot of folks work multiple jobs or have kids or take care of older family members, etc etc.

The thing is the meal prep kits are poo poo. Lots of instructions and it’s just a bunch of marketing. When I cook for the week a lot of it goes into a crock pot that sits for hours that then get sealed in freezer bags. The prep shouldn’t be more than 15 minutes of chopping, seasoning, and searing.

If something is asking you to prep and actively cook for more than 30 minutes, skip it.

Seriously look at the cooking channel I linked. 99% of the meals on that channel are 15 minutes active prep and cooking tops.

There's also an entire show that's (now released) on Netflix that's based on the premise of making good food fast. Nadiya's Time to Eat. She's a former winner of the British Bake-off. Most of the recipes are here so you don't even need to watch the show if you don't have the time to. One that isn't there is found here. Decent amount of prep work, but it'll result in plenty of ~10 minute meals in the future.

I watched the first episode on a plane a while back and thought "I can make that!" about a couple of things and then made two of them the first couple of days I was back home. Super simple and easy to make stuff, specifically marketed at people who spend too much time working or who have tons of time devoted to taking care of kids otherwise and such.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I don't know what people think of the Mythical Kitchen guy but I watched his salmon tips videos and now I can make essentially a restaurant quality salmon and pan sauce, and it's not even hard. Essentially it boils down to a) get a good sear, and b) don't steam your salmon by wrapping it in foil. If you want to cook it in the oven, broiling is the superior option. My salmon recipes have gotten so much better as a result.

e: it also helps dress up salmon that may not be as fresh or quality, like freezer cuts and such.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Professor Beetus posted:

I mean it will probably burn out eventually on top of a massive pile of corpses even if we do absolutely nothing, but at that point movie theaters and indoor dining would probably be the least of my concerns.

e: by burn out I mean likely eventually become less fatal or problematic and something that we get yearly vaccines for just like the flu, not that it's just going to go away.

Why would it become less fatal or problematic?

https://mobile.twitter.com/angie_rasmussen/status/1441416013883461640

I mean, it's possible but betting on it seems like yet another potentially ruinously optimistic take.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

30 minute chickpea masala is one of my lockdown go-to's. The only hard-to-find thing is vegan yogurt, but if you're not vegan (I'm not), just serve it with regular yogurt, or don't bother serving it with yogurt at all.

https://www.makingthymeforhealth.com/one-pot-chickpea-tiki-masala/

Make a few days' worth at once to save time.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

I hate going to the movies; the last I saw was Sorry to Bother You. People still have all kinds of reasons they feel are good reasons to go to the movies. Some of these may be obscure to people who live in suburban America with enough to be comfortable.

From a technical point of view: bad, small speakers and bad, small monitors are likely at home. You may also be unable to turn it up too loud without annoying other people at home or neighbors. A movie theater looks and sounds much better.

You may be so fortunate as to experience fewer distractions at home, but in large households, interruptions are much more likely to be distracting — people needing things, animals needing things, noise from construction, noise from neighbors… other people wanting to use the TV or play music…or cook.

I get the sentiment but it sounds like you have a pretty cush life if you cannot imagine how a theater might be preferable for enjoying movies, generally speaking. That’s without even getting into the social and cultural significance of “the movies” and going to them.

Maybe it’s because I’ve always hated theaters but I’ve watched movies at home since the mid 2000s. Witch 4K TVs being cheap in 2018-2019 I was able to upgrade without spending a lot. I did inherit a pretty nice speaker system from a coworker who was dumping a bunch of their stuff at the time. However even when I was watching movies on a 720p TV with bookshelf speakers bought from goodwill it was far superior to sit around with the family and not be hassled to purchase over priced popcorn or try to sneak in candy and drinks. Plus folks can piss without missing anything.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Blitter posted:

I mean, it's possible but betting on it seems like yet another potentially ruinously optimistic take.

Especially because it can cause brain damage leading to cognitive deficits in otherwise asymptomatic cases, including cases in people who are not at all immune-naive

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blitter posted:

I mean, it's possible but betting on it seems like yet another disasterously optimistic take.

I'm not betting on it but Angie Rasmussen isn't the only virologist talking about this and there's not, from my layperson's perspective, a current consensus about it in the medical and scientific community. I certainly hope it does burn itself out at some point because I personally don't think we can sustain the current trajectory in the long term, particularly in healthcare.

Rhodo Dendron
Sep 20, 2021

by sebmojo
Re: movies, the last few times I went to theaters, I found them much too loud. As in I needed to bring earplugs the movie was so deafening.

All we have at home are little 32-inch 1080p TVs with no sound setup, and those suit our needs just fine. I rarely feel the need to turn my TV above a tenth of its volume max. People get way too stuck up on specs, imo. I myself have only watched a few movies and TV shows made in the last decade; I prefer binging old shows or watching chill retro game streams.

The pandemic has taught me how little I give a poo poo about "going out" to do things, our homes have become all-in-one entertainment centers and gyms and poo poo.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Laying in bed watching movies or a tv show on a big imax screen in VR with a couple friends beats a real theater for me easy. I was never a big theater-goer though, but still.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nonsense posted:

If anybody remembers this very normal incident, well he returned to the hospital the following day after this because he couldn't breathe and today he passed.

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1442089184206934016?s=20

Well that's loving horrifying. Was that antivaxxer a family member?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I miss the human contact, and I'm a pretty introverted person who has handled things pretty well so far with regards to that, I think.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think if you didn't prefer movies before, or were indifferent to them, that's fine but it's important to recognize that people have different hobbies and interests, and if anything you're just lucky that a commonly restricted thing isn't something that was a big deal for you anyway.

Personally, I can definitely take or leave movie theatres. I haven't missed them but I probably will go at some point in the future, when COVID is far, far less of a concern - and we've gone to the drive in a couple of times, and that was fun enough. But I do like playing board games, both with friends and stuff like open game nights, and I do really miss that, and can't see going back to it anytime soon. I don't think that's any more or less virtuous than not liking movies, it's just two activities that happen to be impractical to do safely during a pandemic.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Arc Hammer posted:

Well that's loving horrifying. Was that antivaxxer a family member?

Some Italian (literal) Facist who lives in Ireland. Not a family member.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

Which isn’t true (Delta can’t be contained).

Would I be correct in assuming that zero covid is lost because it just doesn’t have the buy-in from the population it once did, and the government isn’t willing to exert its’ authority to the extent necessary to continue pursuing this model?

At this point, the Victorian government would need to do these things in order to control Delta
, as we already have curfews, travel restrictions, industry shut downs:

- Literally put a cop on every street to prevent people leaving their homes
- Ban all outdoor movement at all
- Shut supermarkets and all takeaway / delivery

I don’t have to explain why those things are bad ideas.

Edit: Also loving lol at the goons here mystified as why people go to the movies, Jesus Christ.

StrangeThing fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 26, 2021

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

At this point, the Victorian government would need to do these things in order to control Delta
, as we already have curfews, travel restrictions, industry shut downs:

- Literally put a cop on every street to prevent people leaving their homes
- Ban all outdoor movement at all
- Shut supermarkets and all takeaway / delivery

I don’t have to explain why those things are bad ideas.

Edit: Also loving lol at the goons here mystified as why people go to the movies, Jesus Christ.

I think you do have to explain why those things are bad ideas, China has used them as measures of last resort with great success and their total deaths are extremely low and most of their population has seen ~0 days of hard lockdown.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

poll plane variant posted:

I think you do have to explain why those things are bad ideas, China has used them as measures of last resort with great success and their total deaths are extremely low and most of their population has seen ~0 days of hard lockdown.

Because people should not be trapped inside their homes. Hope that helps.

There are lots of effective things we could do but shouldn’t for moral reasons.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

Because people should not be trapped inside their homes. Hope that helps.

There are lots of effective things we could do but shouldn’t for moral reasons.

People should not be arbitrarily imprisoned in their homes for no reason forever by a mustache-twirling villain, absolutely. Trapping people inside their homes temporarily to eliminate a disease that you absolutely do not want to become endemic in your region is something very different. I can't see it taking more than a year if other regions are functioning normally and your government fast-tracks a delta-specific vaccine out of phase 3 and mandates it.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

People should not be arbitrarily imprisoned in their homes for no reason forever by a mustache-twirling villain, absolutely. Trapping people inside their homes temporarily to eliminate a disease that you absolutely do not want to become endemic in your region is something very different. I can't see it taking more than a year if other regions are functioning normally and your government fast-tracks a delta-specific vaccine out of phase 3 and mandates it.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that everyone, including parents with children, people who live in apartments, etc, be completely banned from stepping foot outside their homes for a year?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that everyone, including parents with children, people who live in apartments, etc, be completely banned from stepping foot outside their homes for a year?

I'm saying relaxing NPIs in the face of increasing cases without a sterilizing vaccine is a road to a life far worse than what you're dealing with under your present lockdown. The pall of terror hanging over the United States, the permanence of which everyone in our media is racing to normalize, is a hideous departure from what you consider normal life, even though we are free to do whatever we want. You cannot get back to 2019 through anti-lockdownism and wishful thinking, you can only get there through the utmost national discipline.

You do not see what you are talking about doing to yourself, this is like a goon coming to The Goon Doctor talking about cutting his fingers off one by one to stop his hand from hurting and restore it to normal.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StrangeThing posted:

Have you met humans? Who wouldn't want 'em locked up?

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

I'm saying relaxing NPIs in the face of increasing cases without a sterilizing vaccine is a road to a life far worse than what you're dealing with under your present lockdown. The pall of terror hanging over the United States, the permanence of which everyone in our media is racing to normalize, is a hideous departure from what you consider normal life, even though we are free to do whatever we want. You cannot get back to 2019 through anti-lockdownism and wishful thinking, you can only get there through the utmost national discipline.

You do not see what you are talking about doing to yourself, this is like a goon coming to The Goon Doctor talking about cutting his fingers off one by one to stop his hand from hurting and restore it to normal.

Ah yes. The terror of…meeting another vaccinated person in a park with a mask on.

I get that you’re desperate for some type of competent government response but that doesn’t justify rules here that make no sense.

Let alone advocating cops on every corner.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Cops on every corner are likelier to get infected :unsmith:

Edit: this isn't CSPAM, ugh. I don't have a high-quality post to contribute; please forgive me.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

Ah yes. The terror of…meeting another vaccinated person in a park with a mask on.

I get that you’re desperate for some type of competent government response but that doesn’t justify rules here that make no sense.

Let alone advocating cops on every corner.

A relatively low-risk activity with wild-type is not the same level of low-risk under delta. Present vaccines do not do enough to prevent infection at a population scale, and I do not understand how when you are seeing community spread it is possibly safe to implement additional, untraceable, population-scale contact that gives people a cover to be roaming around outside their homes however they please. Given your uncontrolled spread with present NPIs, how is loosening in order?

edit: if you want to loosen NPIs for vaxxed people, just admit you want to Open Biden, that's where this slope ends.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

A relatively low-risk activity with wild-type is not the same level of low-risk under delta. Present vaccines do not do enough to prevent infection at a population scale, and I do not understand how when you are seeing community spread it is possibly safe to implement additional, untraceable, population-scale contact that gives people a cover to be roaming around outside their homes however they please. Given your uncontrolled spread with present NPIs, how is loosening in order?

edit: if you want to loosen NPIs for vaxxed people, just admit you want to Open Biden, that's where this slope ends.

Are you advocating we should pause zero community spread? That isn’t realistic and isn’t going to happen. In light of that, we should allow vaccinated people the ability to meet people outdoors as the vaccination rate increases.

Again, you are desperate for competent response. That doesn’t mean crushing delta here is practically possible.

Let me anticipate your response:

“the government just needs to do more”.

But they aren’t. Which is where we are. We should not physically trap people in their homes.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There is not an epidemiologist in the world who would say that meeting someone outdoors, remaining distanced with a N95+ mask carries anything close to meaningful risk.

Like your solution already requires mass surveillance and enforcement, if your concern is that someone sees that outdoors, distanced visits with respirators are acceptable and pushes beyond that, just have the enforcement focus on that.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
Side note, a lot of leftists in this forum seem to loving love cops all of a sudden.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Further, how do you get cops to enforce covid rules, given that a national plurality of police are unvaccinated?

Flip side: what does a loosening of rules look like? Mandatory slobbery kissing of strangers in public? Rescue breathing as a replacement for handshakes? Hyperbolic joking aside, I'm not thinking of practicable ways in which we could be handling npi worse than we are in the US, especially in chud-sharia states.

Like, what is something your bog-standard Christian Conservative Chud would be morally willing to do in public that would spread covid more than it is already being spread?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pay a ubi every month for the duration and people going outside won’t be a problem. Use the national guard to deliver fresh food to every residence each week. It doesn’t have to be dystopia, except for the profit motive thing.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
If your goal isn't elimination you might as well just vaxx up and do whatever, it will slowly ease open and cases will slowly rise (and then quickly rise) and you can write it off as a pandemic of the unvaccinated for the first 6 months and then either boost (Israel, half the US govt, etc) or "live with the virus" as it plateaus well past the point of a functioning medical system (the other half of the US, etc).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Pay a ubi every month for the duration and people going outside won’t be a problem. Use the national guard to deliver fresh food to every residence each week. It doesn’t have to be dystopia, except for the profit motive thing.

Yo off the cuff I don't think you understand how many first world people work in logistics that cannot even hiccup without entire foodstocks going unavailable for days.

Like, I'm going to claim this entirely without evidence right now, but my prior reading on climate change challenges suggests that we have way more critical moving parts in strategically critical infrastructure, industry, and logistics than we have guardsmen.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Potato Salad posted:

Yo off the cuff I don't think you understand how many first world people work in logistics that cannot even hiccup without entire foodstocks going unavailable for days.

We're talking about a regional lockdown in Australia, not a national welded-in lockdown of the United States

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I can’t avoid the hospital forever. Eventually I’m going to need it and it will be full and I’ll die.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

I can’t avoid the hospital forever. Eventually I’m going to need it and it will be full and I’ll die.

Yeah if things stay like this, and there's no reason they can't, working hospitals will just never be there again in the US and I don't think people really have their heads around what we're throwing away.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

We're talking about a regional lockdown in Australia, not a national welded-in lockdown of the United States

Sorry I didn't catch that.

That being acknowledged, is Australian industry and logistics particularly automated robotically or magically? Prior headline events suggest Australia is as much a house of cards as the rest of heavily industrialized society.

Clarification: we're talking about regional lockdown in Australia, but are we also talking about the "literally only military personnel step outside whatsoever," hypothetical?

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 26, 2021

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Potato Salad posted:

Cops on every corner are likelier to get infected

Okay, now i'm on board with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

You're insane. People need to go outside. People need to exercise. Children need to leave their homes.

Is everyone here such a goony goon that you don't understand why parents taking their child to a playground is, you know, something you should be able to do?

"Just do it for a year, it'll be fine."

Oh okay.