Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Was this a 5000 joke or just a coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.

Chamale posted:

Was this a 5000 joke or just a coincidence?

Respect my AT Field bruh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol i was running on the treadmill with my phone in my pocket. it managed to turn on, increment a page, start a new post, type “job” and post.

it seems oddly appropriate.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

mediaphage posted:

lol i was running on the treadmill with my phone in my pocket. it managed to turn on, increment a page, start a new post, type “job” and post.

it seems oddly appropriate.

Honestly didn't make me bat an eye, just thought "lol lmao" to myself and went on with my day

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

SKULL.GIF posted:

:reject: it would be Malthusian to suggest that number shouldn't go up

correct

i'm pretty sure everyone in this thread needs to be banned for Malthusian ecofascism now

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
“The fact that we are in a crisis that we cannot build, buy or invest or way out of seems to create some kind of collective mental short-circuit among the people in power,” Thunberg said. “And the longer they pretend that we can solve the climate crisis within today’s system, the more invaluable time we will lose.”

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
This thread’s so-called “Malthusianism” definitely makes the conspiracy theories about the Gates foundation using engineered plagues and frankenfoods to cull all but 500 million humans seem more plausible (Regardless of the outlandishness of the details). :tinfoil:

It’s a thought billionaires have to be entertaining. Will they enact plans to cull the human population in time? Have they started? Will they work?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If the billionaires want to die slowly and excruciatingly while giving the rest of us relatively quick deaths, :shrug:.

You can reduce the population to post-Toba levels but you can't fix broken brains who are used to a standard of living that's unsustainable NOW. A post-engineered plague world would be the same as the Pilgrims woefully mismanaging their first Massachusetts winter, except this time there won't be anyone around to take pity on them.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't see billionaires being that forward thinking. They would be set to lose a lot of paper wealth when they destabilized global markets with their insidious plans and would also be doing it for the benefit of humanity after they are dead.

Unless Bezos/Musk/Zuck have cracked immortal robot bodies I think they are just the peak rear end in a top hat life can produce this cycle

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If the billionaires want to die slowly and excruciatingly while giving the rest of us relatively quick deaths, :shrug:.

You can reduce the population to post-Toba levels but you can fix broken brains who are used to a standard of living that's unsustainable NOW. A post-engineered plague world would be the same as the Pilgrims woefully mismanaging their first Massachusetts winter, except this time there won't be anyone around to take pity on them.

Yeah this is precisely the kind of caveat I wouldn't expect them to grasp, though.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I really don't see billionaires being that forward thinking. They would be set to lose a lot of paper wealth when they destabilized global markets with their insidious plans and would also be doing it for the benefit of humanity after they are dead.

Unless Bezos/Musk/Zuck have cracked immortal robot bodies I think they are just the peak rear end in a top hat life can produce this cycle

They're psychopaths, and one part of the Dark Triad is Machiavellianism -- the part of it they most want you to forget exists :tinfoil:

e: note that they also identify what's "good for humanity" with their own interests

Bathtub Cheese has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Sep 26, 2021

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
haha you fools I am simply mark zuckerberg explaining why billionaires are not evil

watch as I chew my food to prove that I eat and am not bad and do not have insidious plans

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's a tetrad now. Sadism has been added.

Also there's a common misconception that the "dark triad/tetrad" are components of psychopathy ("if a person exhibits symptoms of this dark triad they may be a psychopath"). Psychopathy is itself a part of the dark tetrad and accounts for the lack of empathy component. A person with psychopathic personality disorder is not necessarily Machiavellian. More often than not the lack of impulse control that a psychopath suffers from makes being Machiavellian almost impossible for them.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

haha you fools I am simply mark zuckerberg explaining why billionaires are not evil

watch as I chew my food to prove that I eat and am not bad and do not have insidious plans

one of the most insidious forms of lib brain is thinking you've outsmarted the ruling class but for the lack of power to enact your own benevolent rule

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's a tetrad now. Sadism has been added.

Also there's a common misconception that the "dark triad/tetrad" are components of psychopathy ("if a person exhibits symptoms of this dark triad they may be a psychopath"). Psychopathy is itself a part of the dark tetrad and accounts for the lack of empathy component. A person with psychopathic personality disorder is not necessarily Machiavellian. More often than not the lack of impulse control that a psychopath suffers from makes being Machiavellian almost impossible for them.

you're avoiding the issue with D&Desque pedantry, so let's say they have average levels of impulse control??

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bathtub Cheese posted:

one of the most insidious forms of lib brain is thinking you've outsmarted the ruling class but for the lack of power to enact your own benevolent rule

you're avoiding the issue with D&Desque pedantry, so let's say they have average levels of impulse control??

I'm not making an argument for or against anything. I'm just letting you know a little bit more about what psychopathy and the dark tetrad are. I like learning new things. I figured you might too.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not making an argument for or against anything. I'm just letting you know a little bit more about what psychopathy and the dark tetrad are. I like learning new things. I figured you might too.

Whoops, sorry.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Whoops, sorry.

All good. If you want a better picture of what a psychopath looks like. Think less evil genius plotting from their clifftop mansion and more moron spending their life in prison because they killed a guy after he disturbed them breaking into his house because they saw $10 sitting on the table from a window. Psychopaths do not do well in life 95% of the time.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Raqqa Flocka Flame posted:

I watched both "Nature Abhors a Dome" and "Planet of the Humans" over the past couple days. And now it's really sinking in for me that some type of rapid and catastrophic degrowth in the near future is the best possible outcome to look forward too.

I was a squatter punk for 7 years. My household of 5 used solar for electric, we used and generated ~700 Wh a day (the average American household uses about 30 kWh a day), it was enough to have lights and charge our cellphones, laptops, power tools, and pretty decent speaker system and run fans in the summer. It was nowhere near enough to run basic modern conveniences like a fridge or AC and heat (we used a small dorm-room sized fridge that ran off propane and a wood stove in the living room). Food mostly came from dumpsters and food stamps. We also had regular running water. Most of my none squatter friends thought it seemed like an asetic lifestyle, but it honestly felt close enough to a normal western lifestyle to me at the time. I'm realizing now that whoever is left alive in the future will be considered rich if they can manage a similar set-up.

All I can say is... lol lmao

It'll be this, but no dumpsters full of food and no foodstamps. so dead in two weeks.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

“The fact that we are in a crisis that we cannot build, buy or invest or way out of seems to create some kind of collective mental short-circuit among the people in power,” Thunberg said. “And the longer they pretend that we can solve the climate crisis within today’s system, the more invaluable time we will lose.”

Lol still remember when Thrunberg was asked if she was given a magic wand to fix climate change what would she do and her answer was "nothing that would be undemocratic"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lmao ok this book is a bit too on the nose for doomsday threads

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I wanna see what happened *after* Klaatu Keanu turned all the power off everywhere in his The Day the Earth Stood Still remake.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

All good. If you want a better picture of what a psychopath looks like. Think less evil genius plotting from their clifftop mansion and more moron spending their life in prison because they killed a guy after he disturbed them breaking into his house because they saw $10 sitting on the table from a window. Psychopaths do not do well in life 95% of the time.

Oh I knew that part, but prisons and the public are easier to study. Even then, corporate psychopathy is still a thing, and I don't see billionaires being all that willing to participate in studies of the possibility that they might have a personality disorder. You can't look at capitalism honestly and tell me the system doesn't select certain personality traits associated with psychopathy for "success".

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cloks posted:

i was wondering - how do people who acknowledge the reality of mankind's impact on the climate and the coming changes deal with ethics on an individual level? do you find that you have a changing sense of ethics based on a rough knowledge of the coming climate?

I don't have the power to control the options I am allowed to chose from.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
if you're worried about climate change you have a mental illness

environmentalists are terrorists

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

the environment is a terrorist

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I picked up some plastic I found on the street and put it in a bin :toot:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

RIP Syndrome posted:

you're supposed to put it into an industrial shredder and drop the pieces in the sewer dumbass

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

RIP Syndrome posted:

Ten grams down, 6 quadrillion, 999 trillion, 999 billion, 999 million, 999 thousand, 990 grams to go!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i will invent a virus that dissolves plastic

unfortunately it now makes up 10% of all organs

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Excuse me, you're not allowed to respond unless you've picked up and properly disposed of at least two pieces of plastic!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Bathtub Cheese posted:

Oh I knew that part, but prisons and the public are easier to study. Even then, corporate psychopathy is still a thing, and I don't see billionaires being all that willing to participate in studies of the possibility that they might have a personality disorder. You can't look at capitalism honestly and tell me the system doesn't select certain personality traits associated with psychopathy for "success".

Alright this posts is a little more d&d pedantry because I know exactly what you mean and I don't disagree with any of it, but..

It seems like you're using "psychopath" as shorthand for "bad" when bad is a much shorter word. We do it and more these days where we rudely borrow words from psychology and apply them (or misapply them) to normal human behaviours to pathologize them. You're not selfish you're a narcissist. You're not mean you're a psychopath. You're not a liar you're a gaslighter. etc
There's nothing pathological about being mean, or selfish, or a liar. We're all mean and selfish liars sometimes.
We have a system that disproportionately rewards those bad behaviours. So people that exhibit those bad behaviours will tend do better in that system. They're not necessarily sick or suffering from any disorder (I mean they might be but we don't know that just because they've done well within the system.) They're just kind of doing what the world they were put into told them to.

Anyways sorry if that was ranty or discombobulated I'm in the middle of a bout of insomnia so my brain is not working good.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alright this posts is a little more d&d pedantry because I know exactly what you mean and I don't disagree with any of it, but..

It seems like you're using "psychopath" as shorthand for "bad" when bad is a much shorter word. We do it and more these days where we rudely borrow words from psychology and apply them (or misapply them) to normal human behaviours to pathologize them. You're not selfish you're a narcissist. You're not mean you're a psychopath. You're not a liar you're a gaslighter. etc
There's nothing pathological about being mean, or selfish, or a liar. We're all mean and selfish liars sometimes.
We have a system that disproportionately rewards those bad behaviours. So people that exhibit those bad behaviours will tend do better in that system. They're not necessarily sick or suffering from any disorder (I mean they might be but we don't know that just because they've done well within the system.) They're just kind of doing what the world they were put into told them to.

Anyways sorry if that was ranty or discombobulated I'm in the middle of a bout of insomnia so my brain is not working good.

This is a good post. I think there is a tendency to use psychopathy - clinical lack of empathy - as a synonym for "evil" - the practical lack of empathy. There's really no need - amoral corporations and CEOs and politicians are evil, and they do bad things because they are evil. You don't need a more complicated word like psychopathy to describe this basic problem.

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

Chamale posted:

This is a good post. I think there is a tendency to use psychopathy - clinical lack of empathy - as a synonym for "evil" - the practical lack of empathy. There's really no need - amoral corporations and CEOs and politicians are evil, and they do bad things because they are evil. You don't need a more complicated word like psychopathy to describe this basic problem.

Right but if your sole definition of psychopathology is whether or not it reduces a psychopath's own "quality of life" (or eventually lands them in prison) then I think you're kinda dodging the original issue of whether or not billionaires have the intent and foresight to harm people on a global scale (for whatever aim that may be in their mind) and making it an issue of terminology. I'd also have to wonder what right a society that rewards these traits in contexts it considers legitimate thinks it has to pass clinical and moral judgments (e: this is usually the criminal justice system and pop culture) on people who merely failed to get away with being a piece of poo poo.

e: You could even argue organizations under capitalism act amorally, callously, without regard for the long term consequences or the lives of others, and try to manipulate people to keep doing this without any single member meeting whatever diagnostic criteria or set of traits you'd like to concoct as well. It doesn't preclude agency within that structure and that's what I'm getting at.

Bathtub Cheese has issued a correction as of 01:19 on Sep 27, 2021

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Dropped my soda can in the recycling bin after I went to Costco today. Felt good that I'm doing what I can to prevent a bad end for the human story.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

IAMKOREA posted:

Climate change means I won't be able to kill animals as easily anymore, and that makes me sad!

honestly probably a better pitch than whatever sunrise is doing now after advocating for biden in 2020

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I had a pleasant day yesterday - I planted 2 native hazel nut trees, elderberry trees, and 1 saskatoon service berry tree. And today its pouring rain and expected to rain for 3 days straight hopefully giving them a chance to really establish.

I have a some pablano peps coming in on my indoor grow. I also have a bunch of greens really coming in.

I harvested a bunch of vermipost finally after a year of box stacking my worms. Was fun to separate them out.

Got more serious about my composting and am trying to use every box I get that doesnt have a bunch of tape on it n poo poo as my browns in my mix.

I bought some oyster mushroom spawn and its going fuckin WILD so I can't wait to eat them in a few days and then eventually put that mycelium somewhere that it has a chance to really flourish outside later.

:coffeepal: yeah

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Justin Tyme posted:

SPARC is going to come online in 2025 and we'll all feel pretty silly about climate change

Or it doesn't, and we'll be the last generation to enjoy the finer things in life. Pretty exciting, either way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mzSV3uYbyY

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Don't kill animals, don't blow up pipelines, :words: this apocalypse is some real bullshit

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
just spitballing ideas here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

balancing out my steak dinner with the 'if its yellow let it mellow' doctrine, please form an orderly line to kiss my feet